Chapter 18

Roses or Laurels?

“Die when I may,

I want it said by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle

and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.”

-Abraham Lincoln

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

 

                Where am I exactly? In heaven? I glanced around in all directions but I could only see white. I jumped in surprise as a pathway appeared under me. A garden formed alongside the stone path. I stared in amusement. A bush sprouted from the soil, and then buds started to form on the branches. They opened up and the roses bloomed. It felt like wonderland.

                I kneeled down and inhaled the fragrance of the roses. Then I reached for one. The moment I touched its stem, I felt a prick on my finger. I quickly retrieved my finger and place it on my lips. A droplet of blood fell from my wound and landed on a stone under me. The garden went under transformation immediately. The roses went back into buds and then bloomed as something else. They’re petite shaped like stars. Where have I seen these flowers before?

                I went closer and felt the delicate petals. I didn’t know why, but I was tempted to place one in my mouth. I was curious how it would taste like. So I plucked a petal off one flower and stuck my tongue out. Then, I placed it on the tip of my tongue. The moment it was place on my tongue I start losing my conscious. My whole body felt weakened. I felt very sleepy. My vision blurred, and then blackened.

                It felt like only a couple seconds have passed when I opened my eyes again. I was walking through a familiar hallway. It took me a while to realize that I was in Cube. I heard a girl’s voice from down the hall. I started walking toward the voice until I stopped in front of a room. I raised up head up to look and it stated “Studio A.” I turned the door knob quietly. When I opened the door, there were two people in the room. They had their arms wrapped around each other.

                I couldn’t see their faces so I walked closer. I placed my hand on the girl’s shoulder and she turned around. The girl turned around and smiled at me. Hannah? Is that you? The guy also turned to me with a smile. The moment I saw him my heart ached.

                “Who are you?” I asked as I gasped in pain. I fell on my knees and held onto my chest tightly. He didn’t answer me and just continued smiling. “Why does my heart feel so painful when I see your face?” My breath was uneven as I felt that I could exhale more than I inhale. Soon I ran out of oxygen. Get away from my life. I don’t want to see your face anymore.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

               

                My phone started vibrating again for like the tenth time. I finally grabbed it and picked up.

                “Hyung?” Kikwang’s voice came from the other side.

                “Yeah?” I said in a lazy tone.         

                “Where are you?” He sounded urgent.

                “Home, where else?”

                “You have to come to the hospital right now. Jaelyn is going under a surgery. There’s a chance she may not be able to see ever again.” My eyes shot right open. I threw my phone on the bed. I grabbed my car keys and ran out the door.

                I sped through the highways as I held onto the wheels tightly. Jaelyn, just what exactly is going on? What else have you been hiding from me? You’re just making me more painful like this.

                I finally arrived at the hospital.

                “How can I help you?” said the nurse at the counter.

                “Song Jaelyn…” I said still catching my breath.

                “I’m sorry but there’s no Song Jaelyn here. Are you sure you’re in the right hospital?”

                “Yes, I’m sure she’s here.”

                “Maybe you got the wrong name?” I paused for a second.

                “Where is the OR?” I asked.

                “In the fifth floor-“ So I ran off to the fifth floor.  

                When the elevator doors opened on the fifth floor the operating room was in sight down the hall. Kikwang lifted his head. I ran to front of the door.

                “What the hell were you doing?!” Kikwang yelled. “She called you before she was taken into the room. I asked her if she was able to reach you. She couldn’t speak. All she could do was tremble and cry. What exactly did you tell her?”

                I placed my hands on my face and breathed out. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know,” I whispered at the door. Kikwang dropped back down on the bench and looked troubled and impatient. After a while, the atmosphere seemed to have calmed down a bit.

                “So what happened?” I asked.

                “She got into an accident that night when she ran off. The doctor said that she has a retinal detachment. She’ll go blind if she doesn’t go under a surgery. But there is still a chance that she’ll go blind after going under a surgery,” Kikwang informed me. We went back into a quiet state after.

                “She tried.” he said, “I’ve been watching her. She tried so hard to be strong, to not let feelings get in her way. It was hard to see her getting hurt, to see her falling in love with someone else.” He paused. “Hyung.”

                I looked at him.

                “What are you going to do if I’m willing to give her up?” He asked. I was a bit startled. I couldn’t fully absorb those words yet.

                Before I could answer, the light on top of the doors went off. Then, they opened. I went up to the doctor.

                “How is she?” I asked.

                “The surgery seemed to be successful, but we’ll have to see when she wakes up.”

                “How long would that take?”

                “It may take several hours before the drug wears off. The nurses will take the patient to her room right now. I suggest that you don’t disturb the patient right now. Please go home; the hospital will give you a call when she wakes up.”

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

               

I’m a liar, I deceive. I’m ambitious, I take.

I hold no feeling. I don’t trust.

I see a garden of roses in my dream.

Where did the laurels go?

 

Junhyung’s POV:

 

                “Sorry to say this, but Miss Song hasn’t wake up yet,” the nurse told me with a nervous expression.

                “I thought you said she was going to wake up.” I said angrily. She looked down to avoid my eyes.

                “A normal person would usually wake up several hours after the surgery.” Dr. Seo came into the room with a clipboard in his arm. He bent over and checked Jaelyn’s eyes with a light. “I can guarantee you that the surgery was very successful. It’s something else that’s keeping the patient from waking up.” He wrinkled his forehead.

                “What is it?” I asked him urgently.

                “Something like this happened to another one of my patients in the past. It’s not that the patient couldn’t wake up. She doesn’t want to wake up. Was the patient traumatized by any event right before the surgery?”

                I ignored his question and grabbed his coat.

                “What do you mean by that she doesn’t want to wake up? Why wouldn’t she want to?” I threw questions at him.

                “Listen, sir. This isn’t my problem here.” He winced.

                “And you call yourself a doctor?” I didn’t know why I resorted to violence. I couldn’t control my emotions.

                Kikwang appeared and tried to break us apart. “Hyung, let go of him. Using your fist wouldn’t change anything. Why do you listen to what he has to say first,” he convinced. I looked at him, and then back to the doctor. “Hyung…” he repeated. I finally let go. The man straightened his collar and cleared his throat.

                “So what could possibly be preventing Jaelyn from opening her eyes?” Kikwang asked.

                “It appears that the patient chose not to wake up. For that to happen, one will have to go through a great shock or suffering before the surgery. Do you acknowledge of anything like this?”

                “Well, I remember that her face was pale and she was shaking before she was taken into the operating room.” Kikwang turned to me. “Hyung, it was after she called you. What exactly did you say to her?”

                 “I… I don’t know. I don’t remember,” I replied in confusion.

                “You have to; this might be the only way to save Jaelyn.”

                 “I was drunk. Then I was with…” I couldn’t have possible be with Jaelyn. She was in the hospital. My head aches as I tried to remember. Who was I with then? Hannah? I barged out the door without saying another word.

                I drove to Cube and saw Hannah going into the building. I grabbed her shoulder from behind. She turned around in alarm and smiled at me. I didn’t smile back.

 

 

 

                “Miss Song has been sent to a private room. Here’s the room number,” the nurse said.

                “Thank you,” I smiled politely back to her. She blushed and looked down shyly from me.

                I took the elevator to the seventh floor where her room is located. I opened the door slowly and entered the room. I took the vase on the table and filled it with water. Then, I arranged the roses from the bouquet that I bought into the vase neatly. I placed the vase back onto the table and inhale the sweet fragrance.

                Her body was motionless and her face wasn’t lifeless. I took a few steps closer to her. She looked like she was in a deep sleep, a very peaceful one.

                “How long do you intend to sleep? The roses are already bloomed,” I whispered.