Chapter 1

Roses or Laurels?

"A weed is no more than a flower in disguise,

 

which is seen through at once, if love gives a man eyes.”

-James Russell Lowell

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                It’s been a week since I moved to the dorm across the dance studio of CUBE Entertainment. I remember when I first walked into the building I imagined how it would feel like to be a star. My dance teacher, Miss Kim, introduced me to the group of girls who are going to train along with me.

                “Annyunghaseyo, I’m Song Jaelyn, the new trainee of this studio. Please take good care of me!” I said politely. No one said anything or turned to look at me.

                “Sigh. Another newcomer, that means one more person to compete with,” said one of the girls to her friend who was stretching on the mat. That was when I know life as a trainee isn’t going to be easy.

~

                “Okay girls, you’ve all worked hard today!” The music stopped. Finally it’s over. We’ve been dancing for hours. My bones felt like they were going to disjoint and fall into a pile. To be honest, dancing to powerful music like these isn’t my type of dance. I danced to mostly smooth music during my practice before I became a trainee. I even auditioned with a smooth dance. However, I must endure everything for now. Once I get famous I’ll be able to decide the types of music I want to dance and sing to.

                All the girls started to pack up besides for one girl. She walked up to Miss Kim and asked, “Miss Kim, I want to stay longer. There’s this part that I think I need to work on.”

                “You may stay, Hannah.” Miss Kim permitted her. So her name is Hannah. She looks very pretty and delicate but she is actually the most hardworking one of us all. Her dancing also stood out the most during our practice. She was in front of me so I have been noticing her.

                “Hannah is so admirable. I wish I can be her.” whispered one of the girls to her friend. She was the girl who sighed on the day I entered the studio. I recently learned that her name is Eunhee.

                “I bet she’s going to be famous before all of us,” said Eunhee’s friend who I found out to be Hyerin.

                She just trained longer than I did so she has more experience than me. Just wait until I train a bit longer, then I’ll show everyone I can shine too. I will definitely surpass her.

 

                 I stared at the digital clock. It stated 9:00P.M. Then, I looked out the small window of my dorm. I stared at the almighty building standing firmly across from me. I noticed that the lights of Studio B just turned off. Hannah probably just finished practicing.

                Ah, I’m so bored. Instead of lying around I should do something more productive. Wait a minute. If Hannah finished practicing, that means the studio is be empty now. I took out a CD from the drawer and sneaked out of my dorm. I looked around to make sure no one was looking. Quickly took the elevator and ran across the street to Studio B.

                “Ah, perfect. A quiet room.” I observed around the empty room that I’m in. I took the CD out of the case and inserted it into the radio. Then I clicked the play button.

                Yes, this is the kind of music I’ve wanted to dance to since I arrived here. I closed my eyes with my arms wide open. This is my way of letting music take over my body. When the mood felt right, I started free styling to the smooth and soothing rhythm of the music. Soon the music came to an end, so did my dance. I ended it up with my legs slightly apart, knees slightly bent, my back arching backward, and my right arm lifting gently up in the air. It felt great. I haven’t danced like this in a while. I almost forgot how it feels like after training for a week on power dancing.     

                Suddenly, I heard something from outside. I quickly shut the light. I ran to the door and peeked through the glass window. I opened the door and looked, but there was no one. It must have been my imagination.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

                I brushed my palm down her back slowly. I pulled her closer to my body. I looked into her eyes and she looked back into mine. She placed her hand on my shoulder and started dropping it down to my chest softly. Her motions are hesitant and stiff as if she’s just my partner. I shut my eyes and reopened it again staring into her eyes. Passion is what I was looking for. All I see are eyes filled with emptiness. I’m searching  for someone who is able to forget that we’re just dance partners, someone who is able to completely escape reality with me into another dimension while dancing. I dropped my hand from her back and sighed deeply.

                “What is it now?” Director Park yelled from behind the camera.

                “I can’t do it.” I complained.

                “What?”

                “I told you I can’t do it. The mood just didn’t feel right. I need a new partner.”

                “Yong Junhyung. This is the fifth time that you’re requesting for a new partner already. Can’t you just spare me and finish the filming?”

                “Director, I want to speed this up too, but I just can’t. I tried to stay in the mood, but all my previous partners including this one, didn’t give me what I was looking for.” I pointed at the girl next to me. “I can’t acknowledge her as my dance partner for this MV, sorry.” The girl, who I didn’t know the name of, looked disappointed and walked off. Of course she would be. I just blew her off. 

                “Okay, Yong Junhyung, I’ll give you two more days. If in two more days, you still can’t find a partner, you’ll have to finish filming this MV obediently, okay?” Director Park didn’t mean this to be a question. When he asks okay, it is a demand.

                “If I can’t find a partner, there’ll be no point in filming this MV. Go ahead and cancel it if you want.” I walked out of the room leaving him, including the entire crew, speechless. Are those girls what they called the best dancers in CUBE? You got to be kidding me.

 

***

*Listen as you read*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLzUabCzdMk&feature=related

                Where is this soothing music coming from? The lights in Studio B are on. Who could be practicing in there at this hour? I walked up close and glanced through the glass window on the door. A girl is inside. Her eyes were closed and her body was motionless. Then, she started moving slowly as the music progressed. Her movements are in perfect sync with the music, yet they’re smooth and carefree. Her long, silky hair swayed slowly along with her body. Am I looking at a goddess? Finally, the music was over, so was her dance.

                “She’s the one.” I whispered to myself maybe too loudly.

                She opened her eyes and looked toward my direction. I quickly turned away and hid behind the white wall around the corner. I could hear the door click open. Then, after a minute, she left hurriedly.  

                I looked into the studio once more. It is now empty, but there’s something on the floor. I turned the door knob and walked into the room. It was a CD case right next to the radio. I clicked the eject button and a disc was inside. I took it out and put it in the case, and then slipped it into my pocket.

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                The first thing that came to mind when I woke up this morning was “Oh my god, I left my CD at the studio.” I stared at clock. 5:30 A.M. I must get to it before anyone else. I quickly prepared and charged out of the room. I dashed down the hall without even looking forward. I accidently hit into someone. The girl collapsed onto the floor. I looked and saw that it was Hannah.

                “Oh, Hannah, I’m so sorry.” I apologized.

                “Do I know you?” She said crankily. It seemed as if she was not fully awake from her sleep yet.

                “I’m Jaelyn.” I offered her a hand, but she didn’t take it.

                “Sorry I don’t know a Jaelyn.” Is she kidding me? I’ve been in her class for a week and she still doesn’t know who I am? Or at least remember my face?

                “Oh, I’m from the same studio as you. I’m the new trainee that came in last week. Remember?” She has to remember now.

                “Oh, so you’re one of those girls.” She looked at me with disdain then she walked away.

                One of those girls? What? I’m Song Jaelyn, not just any girl. I was being friendly to her and she had to be so haughty in front of me. She makes me want to punch her in the face. I’ll show her who I really am. Just wait. Ah. I almost forgot where I was heading to. The studio.

                Please let there be no one there. I walked into the room and it was empty. Lucky me. I quickly ran to the radio and was about to click the eject button when the door slammed open. Eunhee and Hyerin stepped into the studio together.

                “Sigh, another day of torture.” Eunhee complained. I stood right back up and smiled at them.

                “Good morning!” I greeted. They just looked at me and started stretching. Why did I even bother?

                I sat down too and began stretching. What do I do now? If I take it out now, they’ll know that I was dancing to another type of music, instead of the ones given to me, which is prohibited. If Miss Kim asks, I’ll just not say anything and hope no one really saw me yesterday.

                Miss Kim entered the room and clapped her hands twice. All the girls, including me, stood into rows. “Today, we’ll be starting a new song. I’ll show you girls the choreography.” She kneeled down next to the radio. My heart was thumping fast. I swallowed once and eyed the radio. Her fingers moved slowly toward the button. Everything felt like it’s in slow motion. She clicked the button. There was no CD in the radio. Nothing. I let out a deep breath. I noticed the girl next to me was staring at me suspiciously. I smiled at her.

                If it wasn’t in the radio, then who took it? Was there really someone watching me yesterday? Did he report me already? No, it can’t be. If that person really reported me, he or she wouldn’t even know my name. I should just let this pass.

                “Okay girls, watch me first.” Miss Kim clicked the play button and started dancing to the beat. We all watched her intensely. Then, a knock interrupted her. She stopped the music and went to the door. A man in a suit entered and whispered something into her ears.

                “Omo, it’s Manager Lee!” Eunhee exclaimed. “I wonder why he is here.”

                “Who is he?” I asked.

                “How can you be so ignorant?” The girl who was staring at me suspiciously before started speaking.

                “Huh?” Me? Ignorant? I looked at the girl’s name tag. It stated Jang Minjee. I’ll remember that name.

                “He’s the manager of Yong Junhyung oppa.”

                So he’s Yong Junhyung’s manager. I knew I’ve seen that man somewhere on television before. Yong Junhyung is everywhere on the news nowadays, though I never really checked into him or anything. I always focused on practicing, and nothing else.

                “Hannah.” Miss Kim called.

                “Yes, what is it?” She answered.

                “You were the last one to practice in this room last night right?” Oh no, someone must have really reported about the CD. I kept quiet and didn’t say anything. Hannah nodded. Thank God.

                “Manager Lee said Mr. Yong would like to see you.”

                “Sure.” Hannah smiled confidently and left the room with Manager Lee.

                The whole room was filled with gasps and incredulity.

                “Omo, I think Hannah is chosen to be Junhyung oppa’s dance partner for his upcoming MV. I heard he was looking for the perfect partner.” Eunhee said.

                “I told you she would step out of here before any of us.” Hyerin said.

                “So lucky… I want to be in her place right now.” Eunhee wished depressingly.

                “Okay girls, let’s continue!” Miss Kim clapped her hands twice again.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

                Who was that girl from last night? I couldn’t remember her face at all. I was too focused on the way she danced. She would be the perfect girl for my MV.

                “Junhyung, you have an interview in the afternoon, a guest appearance after and...” Manager Lee informed me.

                I nodded barely paying any attention to him. All I could think about was the dancer from yesterday. Who is she?

                “Junhyung! Are even listening?” Manager Lee snapped me out of my deep thoughts.

                “Oh yes, of course.” I jumped up.

                “By the way, are you really planning for the MV to be canceled if you can’t find a partner?” He asked with a worried expression.

                “Nope.” I smiled to myself while staring into space.

                “Huh? What do you mean?”

                “I found her.” I said.

                “Really? You really found your dance partner?” He screamed in excited with both his hands on my shoulders.

                I looked at him. He looked back at me. Then, I shook him off. I smiled at him. And he smiled back.

                “Go to Studio B and ask Miss Kim who was the girl that danced at the studio last night. And bring her to me.” I ordered.

                “Yes ‘sir!” Manager Lee replied enthusiastically and dashed out of the room. I knew I would be able to find her. 

 

***

 

                Manager Lee arrived with a girl behind him. She wasn’t looking up.

                “I brought her here, Junhyung.”

                “So she’s the one?” I asked.

                “Yep, and the only one.” He smiled.

                “Okay you can leave now.”

                “What?” He asked surprised.

                “I said you can leave now. I’ll call you when I’m done.” I repeated myself.

                Manger Lee reluctantly left the room. The girl was still standing in the corner. I gestured her to come closer and she did. I held her chin up with my hand and studied her face.

                “What’s your name?” I asked in a friendly tone.

                “Chae Hannah.” She said filled with confidence. So that’s her name.