Eight

Lab Coats and Bank Notes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We’re going to give Bangtan an assignment,” Jiyong mutters to Shira. “And we don’t trust them enough to send them out alone.”


“So send Seungri and Daesung.” She shrugs, tucking a tendril of hair behind her ear as she twirls her pen in her hand. The homework was making zero sense to her, and she had already been staring at the first problem for twenty minutes.


“That will put Bangtan on edge. We wanted to send you.”


“Isn’t it ‘too dangerous?’” Shira repeats the words that the five members use against her all too often.


“It’s a low pressure assignment.” Taeyang cuts into the conversation, calling out from the kitchen. “A low likelihood of messing up, and a high likelihood of Bangtan not caring enough because they’re not doing it for themselves.”


“They don’t respect me.”


“But they respect us,” Jiyong’s mouth twists. “Or rather, they probably fear us. Either one. And you’re just a less-threatening representation of us.”


“When?” Shira bluntly asks, writing down an equation while flipping through her textbook.


“Whenever you’re free.”


“I’m never free.”


“You won’t have duties for the next two weeks. And you have midterms soon, don’t you?”


Shira slams her textbook shut. “Well would you look at that.” Her voice is sardonic and laden with dry humor. “My schedule suddenly cleared up.”


Jiyong grins at her obviousness. “It’s close to midnight.”


“Then either bark at Bangtan to hurry up and come to the nightclub, or let me sleep in peace.”


Jiyong sighs, “Where did we go wrong in raising you? You were such a good little child and now you only speak the language of sarcasm and derision.”


“I was taught how to hold a gun at the age of twelve.”


“And what a sweet twelve-year-old she was,” Taeyang balls up the dirty towels to throw into the washer. “Now she’s just a pain.”


Shira looks entirely too amused at Taeyang’s words to take any sort of offense. “I wonder who I got it from. At least I didn’t get your social awkwardness.”


“Nope, you got that from Seunghyun.” Daesung walks in, yawning and running his fingers through his mussed hair. “Good morning.”


“Morning,” Shira grins, before turning back to Jiyong. “So are you going to call Bangtan, or what?”
 


Taehyung nearly falls out of bed when Jin puts his alarm next to his ear. He opens his eyes sluggishly, squinting at the lights that had just flickered on.


“Come on, Big Bang is calling us.”


Taehyung slumps on to his feet, slurring, “But it’s the middle of the night.”


“And we don’t have a choice,” Jin shoots back, walking over to the bed where Jungkook was somehow still asleep. With little hesitation, Jin twists the youngest’s s, causing Jungkook to arch off the bed with a yelp.


“Now, hurry up and get ready, unless if you want to be the one to wake up Yoongi.” Jin waves them towards the bathroom. The two of them yank on spare clothes, not wanting to be on the receiving side of the man who would unapologetically destroy them due to being woken up in the middle of the night.


In ten minutes, all of them are piled into the van, including Yoongi who looks like he was going to punch the next member who spoke. His dark circles only matched the darkness of the coffee that he was sipping from.


Somehow, Jin was completely unscathed, and Taehyung had to wonder what kind of magical superpowers he had to wake up Yoongi in the middle of the night and get away with it. Truly, Kim Seokjin was not a man to be underestimated.


Jimin dozes off, snoring slightly, and Taehyung pokes him awake. Sleeping during the drive wouldn’t help them get their mission done. The only comfort that Taehyung had was that he didn’t have any morning classes, so he could sleep in.


The seven members sit in silence during the drive, fighting to stay awake. A sleepy haze is starting to settle over Taehyung when they pull into the hidden parking of the underground nightclub, and he hops out first, trying to shake the sleep away.


“Welcome.” Three of the members of Big Bang are leaning against the wall of the parking lot. Jiyong pushes himself off the wall, eyes hardened. “I was starting to think that you wouldn’t come. You have a mission tonight.”


Namjoon walks forward to be face-to-face with Jiyong. “What is our mission, and what does it entail?” His words were hardly a question and more of a demand for information. Even though he was of lower authority than the leader of Big Bang, that didn’t mean he was going to step down.


Jiyong, however, seems to not have a problem with that fact whatsoever. When he has so much power, why would a challenge of respect concern him? With nothing more than an arched brow, he hands an envelope over to Namjoon. “At whatever cost, take her out. Location and most necessary information is given.”


“Any other instructions?”


Seunghyun moves slightly forward, and Taehyung can see a pair of hands clutching on to his shoulders. He turns, and Watermelon is directly behind him in a dark red wig and casual clothing. No. No, no, no.


“She’s coming with you,” Jiyong grins. “Have fun.”


“Yo Bangtan, let’s go,” She practically chirps in a high-pitched voice from behind mask. “I hope you’re all strapped in and loaded!”


“Who the gave her coffee?” Daesung groans. “She’s been off-the-walls for twenty minutes now.”


Seunghyun grins, eyes lighting up, and Daesung groans louder. And all of a sudden, it seems like Bangtan woke from their dreams to face another nightmare.
 


“Our mark is a girl from SNSD,” Namjoon slips the pictures from the envelope and passing them around in the van.


Shira scrutinizes the pictures closely before passing it over to Yoongi, who was next to her. The van’s interior lights reflect off the photos, showing slightly blurry pictures of a girl next to buildings and walking down the street.


“Taeyeon?” Shira tips her head back, trying to remember whether they had personally met before. Rumors were that Jessica, an integral member, left the gang life behind after the last major war, and the group was on the decline. Taeyeon was simply one of those members of the once strong and formidable all girl-gang.


But in all honesty, Shira didn't belive the rumors that Jessica left. No, the other side was more secretive than that, and the gang life was hard to leave. More likely than not, the information that they had gotten was wrong. More likely than not, Jessica was dead.


“Do you know anything about Taeyeon?” Hoseok cranes over her shoulder, bringing Shira back to the situation at hand.


“Her and her entire group went into hiding after the last war,” Shira says quietly, disguising her voice in the usual rasp. “They haven’t really been active, and Taeyeon changed.”


She didn’t offer further explanation, and no one from Bangtan asked. Most people changed slightly after the last war. Most people bounced back. Even Shira herself did, but not Taeyeon.


“Location?” Yoongi was tapping away on his laptop, eyes open and alert after downing a full cup of coffee.


“North Gangnam. Underground.”


“This is supposed to be a low risk assignment,” Shira mutters under her breath. She whips out her phone, tapping a message to someone whil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter