Twenty-Nine

Lab Coats and Bank Notes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey guys! If you didn't know, I started a rec fic with fs1919 and undergroundmuses! Be sure to check us out for some great BTS fics!
 


Taehyung stretches, walking out of the classroom with a little bounce in his step. His last midterm of the week is finally over, and he doesn’t want to think about school for a while. The energy and entropy midterm had been killer, but after thermodynamics a day ago, he’s just glad to be done.


He props himself against the wall, waiting for Sonha to come out. She’s one of the last ones to file out of the classroom, and they shoot each other equally tired grins.


“I could do with that coffee right now,” Taehyung rubs at his eyes. “Let’s not talk about the midterm.”


“Agreed,” she says, eyes drooping. “I’m looking forward to passing out tonight.”


The two of them walk towards the on-campus coffee shop that’s calling their names, laughing and talking the entire way. Taehyung can’t help but think there’s something about her that simplifies the world around her. She makes him feel like he’s just Taehyung. There isn’t the guns and the violence and the frustration of the Korean underworld. He’s just plain Taehyung.


And he likes that.


But the thoughts of her relationship to Jackson keeps nagging at his thoughts. Did she know about what her cousin Jackson does for a living? Does she know about his world?


He pushes open the door to the coffee shop, and immediately wants to scream because the rest of Bangtan is there as well. And he’s not sure that he wants to bring Sonha into that mess.


“Is something wrong?” She blinks owlishly at him, and he closes the door to the coffee shop and backtracks outside.


“Want to go a little off-campus?”


“Oh, okay.” She jogs a little to catch up with him as he walks away. “Is this because your friends were in there?”


Damn her. She’s perceptive.


“Kind of. They’re a little insane and don’t take well to outsiders.” He could be describing himself, but he leaves out that fact.


She just smiles, taking light steps next to him. And then suddenly, she’s not there. Taehyung looks around, and she’s running in the direction of a dog.


Unbelievable. But there’s a grin stretching across his face anyway as he jogs after her. She’s kneeling next to the dog who is jumping on her, tail wagging furiously as she scratches him behind the ears.


Taehyung kneels, hands the soft fur as Sonha laughs, stretching away as the dog tries to her face. Her glasses clatter to the ground, and she twists her head around, trying to find them.


He grabs them off the ground with careful fingers, checking the lens for scratches. And then he freezes. Why could he see through her glasses without any distortion? He doesn’t have any issues with his vision. Frowning, he opens the folded frames and slides them on to her face.


“Do your glasses not have a prescription?”


“Only reading. I just got transition frames with a blank distance prescription because I really like glasses,” she shrugs.


She holds the side of the frames and then gently pushes them over his face. He, with a smile, poses. “How do I look?”


“Photogenic, like usual.” She shakes her head.


Her close-up face is slightly blurred, and he slips the glasses further down his nose, wiggling his eyebrows. She bites her tongue, trying not to laugh and failing.
 


Something about Taehyung feels so easy. It’s not often that she gets to spend time without being reminded of her other life. She beams as he walks back to their table with two coffees in plastic cups.


“Wait, I thought we were going to stay here?”


Taehyung grins, “We were, until I found out there’s a dog park only five minutes away.”


It’s only when they walk out the door when Shira realizes that he had paid for her drink, and that’s when she begins to question the situation.


Is this a date?


Oh no. She doesn’t do dates. She can’t do dates. Her social life is seriously lacking, and before progressing to go on a date, she should at least get some friends. Going on a date would be like running before walking.


Taehyung’s hand brushes against hers, and before she knows it, his fingers lace with hers. He raises their hands to eye-level, “So when you run after a dog, you can drag me along too.”


Something about that statement relaxes her. It’s Taehyung. It’s just Taehyung. And so far, she hasn’t done anything to warrant him questioning her identity.


He’s the first person who noticed her as plain and boring Seok Sonha. As Seok Sonha, she can leave the gang world behind. But somewhere in the middle of the mess, she had stopped adopting Seok Sonha’s personality around Taehyung and started being herself.


And she barely knows who she is.


“What are you thinking about?” Taehyung hums, sipping from his plastic str

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter