Thirty

Lab Coats and Bank Notes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“You seem to be in a better mood than usual,” Hoseok sits at the dining table, flipping a pen between his fingers. At first look, it would seem that he’s doing schoolwork, but he’s really looking over a page about poisons.
 

Taehyung looks up from next to Jimin. Normally, on a free Friday night they would be messing around, because they rarely have free time. But Big Bang has been upping the pressure, so they are doing gang work.


“Me?” Taehyung the corner of his mouth before looking back down on his folder on weapons information. A grin stretches across his face before he can stop himself. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”


“What were you and your lab partner doing together after your midterms?” Jimin must have seen them when he had opened the door to the coffee shop on campus. Everyone in Bangtan is far too observant, and Taehyung curses.


Namjoon keeps his eyes on his paperwork, but his voice is clear. “Taehyung, is she going to be a problem?”


“Why would she be?”


“Because very few of us have friends outside of us on campus. And you never really have.”


Namjoon isn’t wrong. The members have acquaintances, if even that. And even though Taehyung pretended to get near to those people, but in reality, they didn’t know a single thing about him. Sonha was different.


“She takes me away from…all of this,” Taehyung gestures to all of the paperwork about very criminal behavior without completely revealing his thoughts and being too vulnerable in front of the other members of Bangtan. “She’s also Wang Jackson’s cousin.”


The last statement is almost a way for him to justify staying around Sonha. But it’s those words that get Namjoon’s attention. “From GOT7?”


Taehyung nods.


“Does she know about his background?”


“I don’t know,” Taehyung says truthfully. She probably didn’t. But he didn’t want to say that. “She has a reinforced door in her apartment, so I think he’s put in safety measures around her.”


Namjoon just blinks, thinking before nodding and turning back to his work. He doesn’t say another word about it, and Taehyung takes it as that meaning he’s okay with it. At this point, he's not sure that he’d stop if Namjoon said no.
 


“Who am I?”


“A .”


“Thanks Jackson.”


The two look at each other and laugh. They were laying down on the carpet of the fake apartment, staring up at the ceiling.


“No, but really. Who am I?”


“You’re Shira.”


Shira pauses slightly. “You know that’s not my real name.”


“I know. I realized when you carved the letter ‘J’ into my arm.”


“See. You don’t even know who I am, and you know me as well as everyone from Big Bang,” Shira closes her eyes, her chest getting tight.


“Don’t be stupid. I don’t need to know your name to know who you are. You’re Shira, Sonha, and whoever you transform into, but you’re always the girl who acts more badass than she really is, thinks too much, shares too much of her heart, and wants her family back.”


Somehow, Jackson had said the words that she had needed to hear. “I haven’t been careful enough. I’ve changed my personality as Sonha, and it reflects the real me.”


“Was it Taehyung?”


Shira doesn’t answer, and that itself is an answer.


“Shira…”


“I know. It’s dangerous.”


“What do you see in him?”


“Even though he’s in this world, he takes me away from it,” She murmurs, talking about the Korean underworld. “Enough about me. How are you?”


She rolls over on her stomach, chin in her palms as she kicks her feet while looking down at Jackson’s face.


“Mark would hate me if I told him what I thought.”


“If he does, he’s not worth it.” Shira’s words are simple, but she knows that it’s a lot harder than that. “What about the girl?”


Jackson doesn’t response, but only smiles slightly. “She probably has no clue.”


“And if she did?”


“She’d run.” Jackson sits up, yawning and adjusting his hat. “I should go. I have the shift tonight.”


“Okay.” Shira rises to her feet, following him out the door. “Please don’t send me pictures this time.”


Jackson just grins, wiggling his eyebrows as the door shuts in his face.


Three hours later, Shira’s phone buzzes. Curious, she unlocks her phone and then proceeds to throw it. She did not need to see a shirtless Jackson surrounded by strippers.
 


Namjoon sets a large stack of files in front of Jiyong, sliding them against the table before the rest of Bangtan settles into their seats.


Jiyong flips open the first folder, eyes scanning quickly, and Taehyung chew the side of his cheek. They had taken hours to put those together, and it was an analysis on the aspects of the coming war, with the main focus on EXO and why SHINee and the gangs of the other side have not been active. And yet he knows, their analysis wouldn’t be liked.


With a scoff, Jiyong passes them amongst Big Bang. Quietly, with their expression speaking volumes, they flip through the papers. They don’t pass any to Watermelon, who stands against the wall, watching the situation.


With a blink of an eye, she grabs the folder out of Seungri’s hands as he voices an “Mm,” and opens the report.


“The psychological warfare will play a key role in the consideration of the coming war, with the inclusion of espionage, intelligence, and overall manpower with access to weaponry,” Watermelon murmurs, trailing off while looking at the main points of the report.


Jimin, Hoseok, and Yoongi had taken hours of frustration and careful consideration to put that specific report together. She blinks, closing the report and hits Seungri over the head with it.


“Stop scaring them. Their work is fantastic and you know it.”


“They could have-”


“They could have nothing,” Watermelon hisses behind her mask, flipping through the pages and pointing at a paragraph. “This is great analysis that can rival some of your own work.”


She tosses the folder on the table in front of Jiyong, who cranes his head to look at her.


Taehyung breathes in both relief and pride as Bangtan relaxes slightly. There’s gratefulness bubbling inside of him, but mostly relief. But he still doesn’t understand why Watermelon seems to argue for their side.


But at the moment, it doesn’t matter.


Namjoon, ever the political one, folds his hands, “We have put a lot of work into this. We hope they can be of some help.”


“Oh they will be.” Watermelon prods the back of Daesung’s head and he winces.


“Enough. Today’s training will be the usual-”


“No.” Watermelon’s eyes narrow. “No.”


It was clear that the leader of Big Bang didn’t like his authority questioned. “What are you saying?”


“Give them the day off,” She waves her hand. “In case you haven’t noticed, those reports took several hours, and from the good know

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter