Fourteen

Lab Coats and Bank Notes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“No,” Shira shakes her head at Jackson. “I am not going.”


“Worth a shot,” Jackson flops on to her bed in her fake apartment.


She only used the apartment when she was acting as Seok Sonha. In case anyone came over for a project or she needed her own place, the small flat was perfect. Big Bang truly thought of everything. It was just a shame that she didn’t actually have friends.


“Wait,” Jackson is sprawled across the mattress, one eye lazily open with a cheeky grin. “Is this a first time you’ve had a man in your bed?”


“Oh shut up, Jackson,” She mutters, throwing a textbook at him. She had left the Big Bang apartment for some peace and quiet for studying, but the sun was setting and she was at her limit after poring over her notes for the majority of the day.


When Jackson had shown up, she knew that her study time was practically over, but she stubbornly solves a final problem, determined to get it right. But after her fourth time after checking the solutions, she’s ready to admit defeat.


With a groan, she pushes the papers scattered on the table away from her, “I can’t do this anymore.”


“Finally,” Jackson bounces up from the bed, much like a puppy. “Can we get pizza? I’m hungry.”


Shira quietly pulls up the online order form, putting in the information as Jackson points at what he wants over her shoulder. “It’ll be here in half an hour.”


She slumps back in the chair, mentally drained.


“Mario Kart?”


“There’s nothing in this apartment,” Shira moans, lolling her head against the frame of the chair. “Just be quiet until the pizza gets here.”


“No,” Jackson yanks the chair out from under her, making her yelp and crumple on to the ground. He just sticks his tongue out at her, and she’s too lazy to even get up and tackle him.


“Jackson,” She groans from the floor, unmoving. “Ow, ow, help.”


Concerned, he stills before dropping into a crouch beside her. “Wait, are you okay?”


She moves in the blink of an eye, grabbing the back of his knee and yanking his legs out from underneath him, effectively pinning him to the ground. A grin spreads across her face as she leans over him. “Don’t get ahead of yourself.”


He looks entirely too comfortable with the situation, and he tucks his arms behind his head, wiggling his eyebrows. Shira scowls, grabbing her binder off the table and hitting him with it as he laughs.


He sticks his tongue out again, and somehow she grabs it, “Keep your tongue in your mouth!”


Jackson blabbers back, unable to actually answer as she grabs a pair of scissors off the desk. Lucky for Jackson and unlucky for Shira, the door flies open as she pretends to try to cut off Jackson’s tongue as he flails underneath her.


The two freeze, turning towards the doorway and Jiyong is leaning against the doorframe, looking amused. “What kind of is this?”


“Jackson won’t keep his tongue in his mouth!” Shira lets go of his tongue, realizing that she never heard the door to the flat open.


Jiyong just shakes his head, twirling the extra keys to the apartment around his finger. “Want to go out?”


“Where are we going?”


“Yeah, where are we going? We just ordered pizza,” Jackson whines. “I asked the same question ten minutes ago and she said no.”


“She likes me more,” Jiyong says simply before turning towards Shira. “I thought you might want to see your boys in action.”


Shira frowns. “You didn’t tell me that you were going out on a mission.”


“Not us,” Jiyong’s face splits into a grin. “Bangtan.”


“What are they up to?” Shira yawns. Bangtan was hardly made up of her boys. No, her boys were the insufferable dorks that were part of the inactive Big Bang.


“Gambling.” Jiyong tilts his head to the side. “It’s dangerous, but if you use one of your identities and enough makeup, you can pose as a foreigner.”


“But pizza,” Jackson pokes at Shira’s shoulder. She ignores him.


“They won’t get enough money if they go to a casino,” Shira shakes her head. “You’re asking me to go to a gambling den?”


“You said it yourself, SHINee, and now EXO, is going to be looking for you and the war’s already begun. There’s barely anywhere to hide, and I thought you were tired of living in your cage?”


Jiyong was using her words against her, but he wasn’t wrong. He was giving her a way out of the entire anonymity, but if he thought she would be so easily confused, he was wrong. She had six months until her final mission. The risk wouldn’t be worth it.


“You gave me two weeks off.”


“How about four?”


“Which identity?” Shira blinks, sitting up and Jiyong’s grin gets wider.


“PIZZA!” Jackson yells.


“I’ll get ready while eating pizza!” Shira yells back in his face.


Jiyong holds up her identity cards and pictures of her computer-generated identity. The blonde hair and the makeup looks unrecognizable. “We can’t have you going with Jackson, because you’ve been seen with him in one of your identities.”


Shira nods, scanning the picture. She’d need tons of makeup, a blonde wig, a latex nose, and colored contacts. “Who am I going with?”


“Who do you want to go with?”


“Jackson.” She answers stubbornly.


Jackson grins at that, but Shira knows that Jiyong was right. Going with him would put her in more danger.


She would obviously have to go with someone they were allied with, but no one would be looking forward to babysitting her. On top of that, no one would be able to understand the gravity of the situation if they ran into trouble. That really only left Big Bang and maybe Jackson. If it was Big Bang, she would be given away to any allies immediately. If she went with Jackson, her identity of Sonha could be discovered, and then school would no longer be safe.


“Why don’t you make some friends and go with CL?”


“Why would CL willingly babysit me?”


“2NE1 is an ally, so she would be wondering about the girl who was standing next to Big Bang. It’s one of your identities that isn’t used often, so making friends might not be a bad idea.”


“I’m gonna die,” Shira mutters under her breath as she rises to her feet, hands curling around her new identity cards. “This is my last night on Earth.”


The doorbell rings and Jackson jumps to his feet with the excitement of finally getting pizza. Shira just rolls her eyes, choosing to look at the details of her obscure personality. Sophia Im, from the United States.


Would the gambling den be able to handle Sophia?
 


Sehun paces back and forth in his room, because he’s not sure what to do. Tomorrow they would get EXO’s sentence for SHINee’s fall, and for that, he is nervous. Baekhyun is going to be left behind, and Yixing is flying back to China temporarily, and so the remaining members would be at the meeting.


He is so on edge that he jumps when the door opens to reveal Jongin’s tired face, “You okay?”


Sehun nods.


“You need to relax. Go down to the rooms and have some fun—”


“You know I don’t do that anymore,” Sehun’s tone shuts down the rest of the conversation as he continues to pace. “It doesn’t help.”


“Do you want to go out today? We can go down to Red Velvet’s den. Irene has a soft spot for you and playing with money could make you feel better,” Jongin leans against the door, his eyes tracing Sehun’s footsteps.


Sehun knows that Jongin is trying, and that’s why he sighs, “Not really.”


“It’ll be like old times.”


Old times? Before it used to be three of them, not two, and Jongin’s hesitation makes Sehun think that his words were a slip of the tongue. After all, one of the three youngest in EXO had died.


“Old times?” Sehun repeats Jongin’s words slowly, not liking how they feel in his mouth. “It’s not exactly the same, is it?”


There is no response, and Sehun pauses in his tracks, fixing his eyes on Jongin who looks sheepish.


“I’ll go, but don’t say it’s like old times,” Sehun says slowly. “It’ll never be like old times.”
 


“Nice car.” Shira meant it. The Mercedes-Benz Maybach was black, sleek, and an absolute beauty. The girl sitting in the driver’s seat somehow fit perfectly with the car.


“Thanks,” CL studies Shira under cautious eyes. She had no disguise on and her seductive eye makeup could draw in any unsuspecting soul.


Jiyong had had to help her with the disguise, because it was significantly more intricate than she was used to. This time, she had to look different from both Watermelon and Seok Sonha, and that wasn’t an easy task.


Shira flicks her silvery-blonde layered hair out of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter