Twenty-Six

Lab Coats and Bank Notes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Not good enough.”
 

Taehyung grumbles under his breath as he adjusts his grip on the rifle. Seungri wasn’t wrong though. On the moving target, he hit the leg instead of the chest or the head.


“That’s enough for today.”


He sits back with a sigh, scanning the target before taking apart the weapon and neatly packing it into the case. He’s been off. He’s been off for a while, but today has been the worst. He can feel Seungri’s gaze on his back, but neither of them say anything. Instead, Taehyung keeps his eyes trained on the ground as Seungri blindfolds him again and nudges him in the right direction to get into the car and back to Big Bang’s base.


The case of the sniper rifle feels a lot heavier than it really is. It weighs down on his lap because there’s this undeniable connection between the case and the mysterious girl associated with Big Bang.


Suddenly, Seungri curses and the car swerves. The case nearly falls off his thighs and his head slams back against the headrest.


“What’s going on?”


“Taehyung, take off your blindfold.”


He obeys, tugging at the knot until the fabric slips from his eyes and blinks rapidly to adjust to the light. Seungri is speeding down a street nowhere close to the base. Seungri is gritting his teeth, “We have a problem.”


Taehyung could clearly see that, because this entire situation is completely out of the pattern of training, but he knows better than to say that. So instead, he yanks open the glovebox and rummaging around for a weapon for a shorter range.


“There’s a bit of an issue with GOT7. A few members are in a tight spot and we’re going to help them out.”


“Who else is coming?”


He doesn’t answer, and Taehyung’s heart drops to the pit of his stomach. Of course, Watermelon has to come. The blood bond dictates that she has an obligation to protect the gang that she is blood bonded with, and more so if the people she’s blood bonded with are in danger.


“How bad is it?” Taehyung tries again, asking a more reasonable question.


“Doesn’t matter.” Seungri takes another sharp turn that forces Taehyung to brace himself against the window. “It can always get worse. You do know how easy it is to kill someone, don’t you?”


Taehyung wishes he didn’t. He learned that it was only too easy years ago, and he reminds himself every time someone around him dies, whether it be from his gun or from someone else’s.


“Who is causing the problem?”


“EXO.”


“.”
 


Jiyong had yelled at her to not do anything rash, but all rationale is out the window right now. Now, her McLauren is going far too fast and Seunghyun is in the seat next to her, frantically checking his phone.


“Take a left, and then another left.”


Shira jerks the wheel, forcing a hiss from Seunghyun’s lips.


“Easy on the—”


She cuts him off with another sharp turn. There’s too much at stake, and she knows the rules of the blood bond too well. She can’t afford to be late. Not when Jackson is in trouble.


“I don’t get it. Why isn’t Super Junior in action instead of EXO?” Seunghyun murmurs to himself, and Shira can almost see the expression on his face, even with her eyes firmly fixed on the road. He would be frowning, and his mouth would almost be turned into a scowl as he squints at his phone.


“What does EXO want?”


“What does EXO usually want?”


“Girls. Money. Notoriety.”


“How unique,” Seunghyun sneers.


Shira chews on the inside of her lip, concentrating on driving to the location of the surprise pop-up of EXO. She pushes aside all thoughts on why and how this all occurred, and pushes down on the pedal a little harder.


“The distribution line was attacked,” he shifts in his seat, a little uncomfortable. “Are you going to be okay with this?”


Ah, Seunghyun is referring to distribution. And as much as she’s against it, she can’t ignore the fact that Jackson is in the middle of the trouble, and that comes first. “I’m not sure this is the time for my ideals. The blood bond is above that.”


He replies slowly, “In your opinion, what is above the blood bond?”


“I would say God, but if there was a God in this world, I wouldn’t be here.”
 


Jackson groans, nursing his bruised rib as he ducks behind a large metal structure holding a variety of boxes that holds items that he would rather not see. The majority of the men that are underneath his hierarchy are also hiding somewhere in the warehouse, or they’re dead. The majority of them are not armed, and all Jackson has is five more bullets in his Glock. The other members of GOT7 are on their way, but he’s not sure how much longer he can hold out.


How can two members of EXO wreak so much havoc? He knows how much blood is on the floor. To his utter horror, he had slipped on a puddle of red earlier as he ran. And now, he has the sinking feeling that one of the members is climbing to the rafters to get a bird’s-eye view of where he’s hidden.


It’s all he can do to try to stay down and watch for any guns pointing his way. He’s running out of time.


He doesn’t even know which EXO gang members are here, just that there are two. How does he know? The gunshots had started from two different locations, and now they’re trying to push him into a corner of the warehouse.


And suddenly, there’s the sound of crashing metal to his right, not too far away. He curses under his breath. That’s too close, and he backpedals, scanning the next structure and ducking behind a large box.


A far off scream doesn’t register in his head until another echoes much closer to him. If possible, his heart speeds up even more until there’s a yell of, “Jackson! Stay down!”


He could recognize that voice anywhere. Jaebum.


Before he knows it, the revving of a car leads to more yells. That could only be Yugyeom. Only Yugyeom would do that.   


Jack

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter