Nine

Lab Coats and Bank Notes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DOUBLE UPDATE. Please go back and read the previous chapter if you haven't already!


“Put your gun down,” Shira hisses at Taehyung, trying to be as quiet as possible. “That’s Byun Baekhyun.”


Taehyung’s eyes darken at the command, but he puts the gun away and holding out his hand. Shira bites her lip before handing over the semi-automatic with a silencer. The gun had scratches up and down the sides, marking just how much it had been used. It wasn’t something that she is necessarily proud of, but she is attached to the firearm, as sad as it sounds.


The rather long silencer throws off the balance, and Taehyung weighs the gun in his hands. She knew that even with the silencer, it would make a loud enough noise to the point that Byun Baekhyun could wake up, and if that happened, they would both be in trouble. For normal people, the sound of a silenced bullet wouldn’t wake them. But unfortunately, Baekhyun isn’t normal.


She knows exactly how much damage he wrecked during the last gang war, and that itself makes her wary.


Shira crawls forward slightly so she could lean forward into his ear. “We weren’t given the authority to kill him. And I also don’t know if it’s a good idea too.”


“Why?” His murmur is low and husky. “He’ll make more trouble for us down the road if he’s alive.”


“When you shoot Taeyeon, he’ll wake up. I don’t know if it will be immediately, and that will give us a chance to get out of here.”


“If we kill him, we have more than enough time to get out.”


“Byun Baekhyun is a monster,” Shira hisses. “Even with a semi-automatic, there’s no guarantee he’ll move to the blind spot within a few seconds and start firing back at the ceiling. There’s no guarantee that you’ll be able to hit both of them within less than a second of each other, and likelihood is that if you’re targeting Byun Baekhyun second, you won’t kill him. And if you won’t kill him, he’ll kill you.”


“We can’t position ourselves to fire at the same time, and the kick would be too much for it to be accurate.” Taehyung furrows his brows.


“The mission was to get her. And an angry Baekhyun will make EXO less prone to attack than a dead Baekhyun.” Shira murmurs into Taehyung’s ear, trying to make him see the logic. Their side wasn’t prepped for an EXO attack. And if Bangtan took EXO on themselves, there was no way they’d win with the amount of weapons they had. After all, they got their supplies from Big Bang. “If he wakes up after Taeyeon dies, we have a few seconds to leave. If we stay, he can shoot at the air duct, making it collapse and turning this place into a bloody shootout. I’m good, and you are probably better, but I don’t want to risk my life if it’s not necessary tonight.”


The girl underneath them shifts slightly with a moan, burying herself deeper within the covers. Shira and Taehyung both freeze before he pulls out some of his tools, bending the slits of the vent apart enough to stick the nozzle of the silencer through. The metal is pliable enough to yield under his force, puckering upwards slightly when he lets go.


“Go back to the other room and get everyone out. I’ll crawl over to your spot so I can get out of range of his room and out of the air vent as soon as possible.” Taehyung whispers. “I’ll give you a few minutes.”


The adrenaline is rushing through Shira’s blood, and she whispers a simple, “Don’t miss,” against his cheek before crawling backwards slowly, making sure that she doesn’t make too much noise and bang against the aluminum of the vent. In the darkness, Taehyung’s face slowly fades from view as she drops from the ceiling into the neighbor’s room, sprawling in a heap on the bed and surrounded by Bangtan.


“Byun Baekhyun is with Taeyeon,” She whispers, updating the six other members. “Taehyung is not going to shoot him for reasons I’ll explain later. He has my silencer, which should buy him a few seconds before Baekhyun wakes up. But we need to get out of here as soon as he shoots.”


Jin’s face darkens as he heads towards the open window, “Namjoon, everyone but her and Jungkook need to get out now.”


There are protests written all over their faces, but they follow Jin. Jimin looks back over his shoulder, worry in his eyes. “Make sure he stays alive.”


Shira gives him a single, meaningful nod before sliding her phone out of her pocket, typing a quick message.


Shira: mission was supposed to be low risk but Byun Baekhyun is here
Shira: rest of EXO is probably nearby
Jackson: where are you


His message is quick and to the point, and Shira sends him the address without a second thought.


Earlier in the night, when she had texted him that she was going out on a mission, he demanded to know where, saying that he was working in Gangnam at one of the GOT7 strongholds tonight. That could be the factor that could save them if anything went wrong.


A low sound like a book closing makes Shira turn; the familiar sound is the sound of the silencer quieting the gunshot. It’s only a few seconds later, non-silenced gunshots go off and Shira holds her breath. If it's without a silencer, it's Baekhyun’s gun and Shira waits for Taehyung to fall out of the hold of the ceiling.


Sure enough, he falls into a crumpled heap, looking dirty from the air vent, but alive. “You were right,” Taehyung bolts off the bed and towards the open window, “the air vent collapsed and we would have been done for.”


Jungkook is already waiting on the fire escape, vaulting off one floor to land on the one underneath, and Shira follows, a little more careful as she lowers herself to the floor below on the fire escape.


“We don’t have time!” Shira yells at Taehyung, who is standing frozen. “Move!”


Instead of vaulting himself off the stairs to the flight below, he runs down the stairs two at a time. It’s slower, but there’s yelling from above and Shira knows he’s not going fast enough.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter