Chapter 8

Icey Fire

“Nohee what do I do?” I screamed into the phone the night before my date with Soonyoung. When he had asked me that day, I couldn’t refuse the offer from the look he was giving me.

“Girl, you scored big time,” she said over the phone, which was on speaker so I could rummage through my clothes. “Did he say what kind of date it would be?”

“No, he just said he’d plan everything out,” I said, looking at a black skin tight dress that Nohee had forced me to buy, tossing it back into the mess of clothes.

“Ooh, and he’s organized too, it’s like you were made for each other.”

“Shut up and help me choose an outfit.”

An hour later, after a Skype call and Nohee rejecting everything I tried on, we opted for a simple outfit that would suit tomorrow’s weather.

“Have fun tomorrow!” she said before hanging up. I took a quick shower, blowdried my hair, and went to bed after my nightly routine.

Soonyoung picked me up the next morning, looking like a ball of nervousness. But I could relate, I was just as nervous. I looked at him as he drove us to our first location. He had styled his hair up and was wearing a simple hoodie with a jacket on top, pants, and sneakers. I felt like I hadn’t overdressed either, since I too was wearing a top, pants and sneakers. We kinda match. He tapped along to the music playing, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel.

We went to a cafe for breakfast, where he insisted on paying for everything and flat out ignored my request of splitting the check in half.

“I said I’d organise everything wouldn’t I?” he asked. “Just let me do my job.”

I nodded, unable to tear my eyes away from his as he looked at me. The outdoor mall was next, where he bought me a cute hairclip and put it gently in my hair, leaning close to make sure it stayed put. He touched one of the platinum blonde streaks in my hair.

“So pretty,” he said, looking mesmerised by it but snapped out of it, turning red. “S-sorry.”

“No, i-it’s fine,” I awkwardly laughed it off. We went to an arcade, where he impressed with his Dance Dance Revolution skills.

“I dance,” he said proudly.

“No kidding,” I panted. He just laughed and patted my head. After lunch at the park with the food that Soonyoung admitted was not his own cooking (it was Mingyu’s but he did play assistant chef in the kitchen), we went out for ice cream for dessert.

“One scoop of mint chocolate chip please,” I ordered and Soonyoung ordered a scoop of vanilla.

“Oh, you two make such a cute couple!” the elderly lady behind the counter said, giving us a generous amount of ice cream each.

“Oh, um, thank you!” Soonyoung said, taking my cone and handing it to me before taking his and paying (half, at the lady’s insistence) the price.

“Stop by anytime!” she said, waving us goodbye as we stepped out of the store.

“Well, that was uh...” Soonyoung began laughing and I did too.

“Do we really look like a couple?” I asked.

“We are kinda matching today,” he said. He glanced at his watch. “Let’s have dinner?”