Chapter 13

Icey Fire

The day of the competition snuck up on us quickly. Nohee and the rest (sans Jihoon) had cooked up a spectacular breakfast early in the morning, surprising me and Soonyoung with it.

“You’ll need to eat as much as you can,” Nohee patted my shoulder as she sat down next to me and helped herself to food. I noticed Soonyoung, who was sitting next to me on my other side, wasn’t eating as much. I could see him fidgeting with something in his pocket and leaned over.

“What’s that?” I asked.

My question caused him to jump and stick his hand out, revealing nothing. The other members shook their heads and rolled their eyes but I chose to ignore them.

“Nervous?”

“Just a bit?” he said, bouncing his leg up and down. I placed a hand on his thigh and as if I had used my powers on him, he froze.

“Just eat,” I said and he willingly ate a bit before we both went to go change into our outfits.

We both emerged from our rooms, wearing the similar striped shirts that we had bought together (the couple look resulted in a half price discount for us from the owner), he was wearing black pants, I was wearing black shorts. His eyes travelled down my body and he turned red, quickly clearing his throat and offering me an arm.

“Let’s go kill the competition,” he said and I laughed.

“Let’s go!” I ended up dragging him down the stairs and we all piled into the bus.

The ride there was filled with chatter. I was sitting with Nohee, chatting with Jisoo who was sitting across from us with Hansol. She had turned herself around in order to talk to Mingyu and Wonwoo. The rest were all cheering on Soonyoung, who looked nervous again as he sat by himself. I wrapped up my conversation quickly and at a red stoplight, sat myself next to Soonyoung. I grasped his hand and he squeezed his eyes shut.

“Soonyoung, don’t let the nerves get to you. What happened to the confident Soonyoung 15 minutes minutes ago at home?”

“Gone,” he croaked.

“Soonyoung please,” I rolled my eyes. “With this attitude, we’ll definitely win for sure.”

I was about to get up to move back to my spot next to Nohee but he grabbed onto my hand.

“Don’t leave me,” he said softly and I fell back into my seat next to him. We stayed silent for the rest of the trip and bid the rest goodbye as we went backstage to sign in.

I saw other couples around us and ignored as they made out next to us. Soonyoung seemed to notice them too but he also chose to ignore them. We were the last performers of the day, since our collaboration spiked much interest.

“Please welcome our last couple onto the stage!” the DJ announced and Soonyoung and I headed up to the stage. We positioned ourselves and just like during our practices, we moved simultaneously at the first beat. The crowd went wild (Seungkwan and Seokmin being the loudest out of them all) whenever I had to touch Soonyoung and vice versa. We finished breathing heavily and thunderous applause met our ears. We were crowned winners and I saw Seungkwan whispering into the DJ’s ear. I thanked everyone around me and the DJ cut in.

“Would our winners do the ending pose for us as an encore?”

Screams erupted and I saw Soonyoung glancing over at the members rather than me when we did the last verse again. They were nodding furiously at him and when we reached our final pose, his hand on the back of my head, pulling us closer together, he did the unthinkable and we locked lips. Cheers were louder than ever when we broke apart and he got down on one knee and pulled out a simple silver ring.

“Song Yewon, can I call you mine?”