Chapter 9

Icey Fire

“Two of the chef’s specials meals and dessert to share please,” Soonyoung ordered comfortably as I sat uncomfortably in the restaurant, my jaw dropping when I heard what he ordered for us. The restaurant was way out of my budget from what I had heard but Soonyoung coaxed me inside anyway, promising not to order anything too expensive to ease me.

“Soonyoung!” I hissed and he waved a black card around.

“Relax Yewon, it’s Seungcheol sponsoring our date today!” he said. I groaned.

“Soonyoung--”

“Yewon. Relax. It’s fine!” he said, pocketing the card. The food arrived and we ate. Soonyoung seemed to be on his guard while eating and it bothered me.

“Soonyoung, is everything alright?” I asked, putting my knife down. He seemed so jittery and his sharp eyes focused on something or someone behind me.

“Yewon,” he said, his voice tight. I suddenly became scared. “You trust me right?”

I nodded slowly, afraid to turn around. He stood up suddenly and yelled to the entire restaurant. “Everyone, evacuate now! There’s someone dangerous here!”

There was a clamor for the door and the entire place was empty except for me, Soonyoung, and a man in a shady black coat and hat. I was surprised at how everyone listened to him. Soonyoung pulled me out of my seat and shoved me behind him. I clung onto his shirt and could feel his heartbeat becoming more rapid as mine did too.

“Maeng Joongjong. Fancy running into you here,” he said. “What do you want?”

“I think we had some unfinished business after you and your group killed one of my own,” the man sneered.

“We did it for our own good and for the good of everyone else,” Soonyoung replied. He grabbed onto my hand and I tightly held on, afraid to let go.

“How about you hand over your girlfriend there? I think she’d make a fine new addition to my clan.”

His words made me cling onto Soonyoung tighter. Soonyoung cleared his throat. “I don’t think she’d like to.”

I let go of his jacket and stealthily took out my phone. I shot a text to the group chat.

Me: sos

Knowing one of the members would immediately zero in on our location, I put my phone away, praying the man hadn’t seen me, and continued clinging onto Soonyoung, who was still tense, and focused on their conversation.

“Well, either way, I think I should get rid of you first, don’t you think?”

“Nah, I’d prefer to live thanks,” Soonyoung replied coldly, gripping onto my hand, and slowly backing away. Suddenly I felt my hair being touched and gasped, turning around to find the guy behind me. Wait, wasn’t he in front of us? How’d be move so quickly?

“White streaks? Ice?” the man said and Soonyoung tore me away from him, cursing under his breath. I watched in horror as the man began to multiply.

“Oi! Heads up!” we heard a voice and Myungho landed in front of me and the man, striking him with a punch. The man disintegrated into a pile of dust.

“Myungho!” I was glad to see him. I saw Soonyoung still facing the man as the others rushed in. More clones of the man were made, and each member was busy fighting. Seungcheol blew his away, Jeonghan lazily attacked with insects, Jisoo used a potted plant next to him to wrap the clone up tightly, Joonhwi shielded himself with the ground, Soonyoung was throwing fire everywhere, Wonwoo was using his powers to hold up knives from the tables in front of him, Jihoon splashed water onto the piles of dust since it seemed like they could build themselves up if they weren’t wet, Seokmin was on standby making sure no one was getting injured, Mingyu managed to hypnotise a clone and send him running back to his master, Seungkwan was yelling instructions since he could read minds, Myungho was beating everyone with his agility, Hansol appeared and disappeared randomly, and Chan was blinding the clones with his light. I helped a bit by causing a clone to slip with my powers. The chaos suddenly stopped and we saw that the man had vanished.