Chapter 16

Icey Fire

Soonyoung spoiled me with many dates whenever we could. We’d hold hands while drinking something at a cafe, we’d jog around the park in the mornings, go on bubble tea dates, ice cream dates, go to fancy restaurants (using Seungcheol’s card), we’d dance together, and on days we didn’t feel like going out, we were either letting our powers loose or cuddling in bed all day, too lazy to move.

One stormy day, we received a mysterious package addressed to the boys. They locked themselves up in a room, refusing to let me and Nohee in, and exited the room looking grim. I clutched onto Soonyoung, who looked serious, as Nohee followed the other members, trying to do the same.

“Soonyoung, what’s going on? Tell me,” I pleaded.

“I can’t. It’s serious business that could get you hurt.”

“I don’t give a damn.”

“I do.”

“How serious is it?”

He remained silent.

“Can’t you tell me?”

“...”

“Soonyoung, please.”

“...”

“Why won’t you tell me?” I felt myself break at this point and my voice cracked. He immediately turned to me, his hard face turning soft but I backed away from his touch. “If this concerns me, I need to know.”

“I can’t tell you Yewon… I promised not to,” he mumbled, taking a hold of my hand.

“Fine,” I slipped out of his hand. “Don’t tell me then. I’m going out for a walk.”

“Yewon, wait,” I heard him call for me but I quickly turned the corner, throwing my hood over my head and lowering my face. I walked quickly until I figured out I was just a bit lost. I refused to turn back and continued walking for a bit. I saw my phone screen lighting up with Soonyoung’s face and powered my phone down. I could literally hear Soonyoung cursing in my head as he realized I turned off my phone.

I felt a drop on my head and looked up just as it began to rain. Maybe I should just go back to my old house? I began walking in its direction when I recognized a few street names. I was just reaching the front gates when I heard his voice.

“Yewon!”

I turned to see Soonyoung standing at the corner, holding an umbrella, still wearing what he was wearing a few hours ago. A look of relief crossed his face and he began to run over to me, dropping the umbrella halfway and embraced me tightly.

“Yewon, I’m so sorry,” I heard his muffled voice, a large sniffle, and realized he was crying. I felt tears springing up in my eyes too and looked up at him, wiping away tears and rain from his face.

“I’m sorry for getting so upset and walking out like that,” I said and he shook his head slowly.

“No, I want to tell you everything. I don’t care what the package said. You’re right, you need to know. But please,” he stopped, cupping my face. “Don’t leave me ever again.”

“I promise I won’t Soonyoung,” I said, tiptoeing up to meet his lips, the rain falling around us as we kissed.