Chapter 5

Lucky

Kibum crossed another day off his desktop calendar and lay his cheek down on the desk’s cool surface. There was just 4 minutes left to the day, according to the time displayed on his cell phone’s screen.


It was 4 minutes to Jonghyun’s birthday. 

Why he was still awake, Kibum had no idea, but he tried to convince himself that he did not stay up so he could be the first to wish Jonghyun. He knew that Jonghyun would be up, because it was his birthday and he was always so overly-excited about it. Kibum thought it would be a good chance to find out if Jonghyun decided to ignore him again or not.

They'd barely carried a conversation since the break up. Save for the times they had no choice but to speak to each other during Council meetings, Jonghyun made no effort in initiating any form of communication with him. Of the few times that Kibum had texted him, plainly out of goodwill or to start a conversation, not once did Jonghyun reply.

After awhile, even Kibum knew better than to lay his heart down just to be trampled on again and again.

Still, tonight Kibum wanted to be foolish just one more time.

This shall be the last time. If he really doesn’t want to have anything to do with me, I’ll just walk away quietly. Kibum thinks to himself as he began to compose the message to be sent out.

The digits on his phone changed to 12:00am, Kibum pressed ‘send’.

“Happy birthday, Jonghyun-hyung. Even though I know you’re probably not going to reply this, just wanted to say that I’ve missed you… I hope you have a good day, my lost friend…”

Kibum slid his phone shut and went to lie on his bed, holding his phone close to his chest. His heart was heavy and he suddenly felt really, really tired.

Not expecting a reply, his heart skipped a beat when his phone vibrated only shortly after the message was sent out. His eyes flew open, hands simultaneously sliding his phone open again in one seamless movement.

There it was, the name he so yearned to see, all these months after their separation.

1 New Message: Jjongie! (08-04-10 12.01am) 
Thanks.
 

That’s all. There wasn’t so much as a smiley or even any display of emotions. Just “thanks”. But it was the first time Jonghyun had replied since their break up, and Kibum decided that one word was better than a completely silent and motionless phone. Feeling oddly empowered by Jonghyun’s reply, he decided to try his luck.

“I know it’s pretty late for me to ask this but… Do you have plans after school? We can go have some ice-cream ^^”

It was a long wait for his reply. Kibum almost fell asleep when his phone vibrated again.

1 New Message: Jjongie! (08-04-10 12.23am) 
Sorry, I already have plans. 


At that, Kibum slid his phone shut and closed his eyes again. Well, he did ask only at the last minute, he reminded himself of that as he heaved a sigh.

Just then, his phone vibrated again and he couldn’t help feeling hopeful, thinking for a second it might be Jonghyun again, telling him that he’s had a change of plans and was free to meet up for ice-cream after all.

1 New Message: Onew (08-04-10 12.23am)
Coffee after school? ^^


Kibum was slightly disappointed, but still found his lips curled upwards in a tiny smile. A day with his best friend sounds great actually. He replied the message and placed his phone back on the desk. Staring up at the ceiling, he sighed. But it was a contented sigh, a sigh with the small smile still on his face. 

“Go to bed, Onew-yah. Stop staying up to do your assignments; it’s bad for health okay? And see you ‘’ ”

Trust Onew to save him from a day of brooding alone within the 4 walls of his dorm room.



***

 

Jinki knew exactly what Key was going to do had he not asked him out after school. He was ready to bet his drum sticks that Key had already tried to land a date with Jonghyun. And judging from how he had agreed to meet for their usual coffee, he had been rejected.

He was sitting in their usual seat in the café waiting for Key. He had rescheduled his project meetings so that the rest of the day was free for Key, since he somehow felt that the latter would need someone to be with him on a day like this.

Key came in through the door just then, settled into the seat and smiled at Jinki when he saw that the boy had already ordered their usual.

“Good day?” Jinki asked gaily, complete with eye-smile and sparkling white teeth.

“It was crazy. I really don’t know how you manage, Onew-yah. Are you some kind of a superman? This is only the start of my second year and I already feel like I’m going to die every day. Oh god…” Key closed his eyes, letting the steam from his coffee cup warm his face and he visibly relaxed into the seat.

“It gets better, Key. You’ll be fine.” Jinki laughed at Kibum’s short rant. That was a sure sign that he was fine, at least.

They sat for awhile in companionable silence, Key’s eyes still closed while Jinki observed his every beautiful feature, taking a sip of his coffee every now and then. Key had pink and purple highlights in his hair today, he noticed. If there was anybody who could pull off such abnormal trends, it had to be Key.

"I definitely hope so. I can’t believe the workload they ar...” Key opened his eyes and looked out of the window, his words slowly trailed off and faded into nothingness as he continued to stare out. 

Sensing something amiss, Jinki followed Key’s gaze to see Jonghyun at the street across the café… With Jessica. They watched as Jessica stole a peck to Jonghyun’s cheek and reached for his hand. She began to walk ahead, a half-dazed Jonghyun in tow, his wrist in her hand.



***

 

“So that’s what he meant by having plans…” Kibum murmured under his breath. He turned his head away from the window harshly and looked down at a spot on the table instead.

“Key… You okay?” Onew’s concerned voice floated over to his ears.

“I’m fine.” Kibum responded a little too quickly. He kept his head down, not wanting Onew to see that he was not fine at all.

Suddenly, he felt a warm hand close over his wrist and he was pulled up from his seat and out of the café, leaving their unfinished coffee behind.

“O-Onew, what are you doing? I said I’m fine!” Kibum said in shock, trying to pull his arm out of Onew's grip, but the older boy was surprisingly strong.

“You’re not fine, Key. Don’t pull that one on me. Just follow me, okay?” Onew said, calm as usual and he let go of Kibum's wrist. Neither his face nor his actions gave away what he had up his sleeve.

Kibum could only follow behind his best friend in a state of bewilderment as the latter pulled him onto a bus that took them out of the school’s district and to somewhere Kibum had never ventured to before.

He looked out of the window at the passing scenery and despite his heavy heart, felt his spirits rising. It was spring. Cherry blossoms and forsythias were in full bloom, lining the streets in beautiful shades of red, green and yellow. Kibum smiled.

Just a little while later, Onew nudged Kibum gently, signaling that it was their stop. They were standing in front of an amusement park when they alighted.

“Wh–” Kibum barely started to speak when he was cut off by Onew.

“I just felt like it. What do you say to a rollercoaster ride?” There was a playful glint in Onew’s eyes as he challenged Key to the ride.

Well, Kibum really was afraid of heights. The last time his feet left solid ground was when his course mates had hauled him off, carrying each of his hands and legs and pretended that they were going to shove his crotch into the flag pole as his birthday present last year.

“Ah, whatever, let’s just do it.” Kibum grimaced.

His day had been screwed enough thus far so he thought he might as well just go ahead and try to get himself killed as he launched himself into the sky. He made a mental note to come back and haunt Onew as a ghost since he was the one who came up with this in the first place. Had he been any less keen on it, Kibum would have said no.

In the end, they went on the rollercoaster twice, Viking ship, bumper cars and even on the carousel, just for the heck of it. Onew stuck a long piece of cotton candy below his nose and did a bad imitation of a Mexican dance while Kibum clutched his stomach and begged Onew to stop before he rolled on the floor with laughter. Then Onew had dragged Kibum into the haunted house despite the loud protest of the younger boy. Both of them screamed in hysteria and grabbed on to each other for dear life until they emerged in the open again.

At the end of the day, they decided to ride the ferris wheel before heading back. It was already dark and the amusement park was bathed in colourful lights. The view from the top of the ferris wheel was breathtaking.

“Wow…” Kibum breathed in awe, leaning to the side of the cabin and marveling at the lit up amusement park below them, forgetting all about his fear of heights.

“It’s nice, isn’t it? Funny how some things are here every day but people just never have time to stop and look around, and just see how beautiful things are.” Onew’s gaze skipped over the amusement park, to the roads that were busy with cars returning home and the windows of buildings that lit up one by one.

Kibum turned his gaze to Onew.

“Yah, Onew, are you sure you’re turning 22 this year? That was totally corny.” He said, feigning disbelief. In actual fact, he knew that Onew had done all these for him and he was thankful. He had enjoyed himself so much today.

Onew only smiled in response.



***



They got off the bus and were on their way back to the school’s dorm when Kibum stopped walking suddenly.

“I’m tired, Onew-yah. I can’t walk anymore.” He whined and pouted.

Onew gave a resigned sigh and walked a few paces back towards him. He squatted down in front of Kibum.

“Come on, it’s late. We need to be getting back. I’ll carry you okay?”

“Oh, really?” Kibum wasted no time hopping on to Onew’s back and they continued their walk back.

“Onew-yah, am I heavy?” Kibum asked.

“Nope.”

“Really? Or are you just really strong?”

“Hmm, I guess I’m strong then.”

“Yah! Are you saying that I’m heavy?! God, I’m so tired. Today was fun… Thank you, Onew-yah, you know that I treasure you a lot right…? Sorry that I’ve been a bad friend… I know… But I’ll… make it…”



***

 

Jinki felt the relaxed weight and steady breathing on his back and he knew that Key had fallen asleep.

Aish, what do I do now; I can’t go back to his room without putting him down somewhere and searching him for the key. Jinki thought while simultaneously deciding to bring Key back to his room. Well, it’s not like Key hasn’t slept there before. Jinki will just have to take the desk tonight then.

He stood outside his room, trying to get his keys from his pocket while struggling to hold Key up on his back with one hand. He decided that one thing Key was right about was that he had to be pretty strong.

Once inside, he set Key down gently on his bed and removed his shoes and cardigan. The younger boy slept like a log, not even stirring as Jinki was busying himself taking care of him.

He must be really tired, Jinki thought, a small smile on his face.

He was about to pull the covers over Key when he heard the other boy mutter “Jjong…”

Jinki paused, the smile slipped off his face, his hands in mid-motion as he felt a distinct stab at his chest. He shook his head in an attempt to dismiss his own feelings and continued to tuck the covers over Key. But he had been suppressing these feelings, the hurt, and running away from them every time he was around Key just so he would not spin out of control.

Now that Key was sound asleep and unaware of the storm going on in Jinki’s heart, he decided that tonight, he doesn’t want to run away. He wants to face those feelings, and celebrate that pain.

Pulling his chair in front of the bed, he sat down and just observed the steady breathing of the younger boy. He remembers the day he first laid eyes on him like it was just yesterday.

It’s been months. And he was still waiting.

Jinki doesn’t know if Key would ever come around, would ever be able to see his true heart or would ever return his feelings. He knew he was foolish, but there was absolutely nothing he could do about that.

He was willing to wait. He was willing to be the silent warrior that held Key together whenever he was needed. He was willing to hurt all alone. At least for now, he could take all of this and more. If it meant he could stay right beside Key, to be allowed to protect him. He didn’t mind being the biggest fool forever.

Too bad you can’t choose who you love.

Jinki reached out and caressed Key’s cheeks softly with a thumb and said what he felt, from the bottom of his heart.

“Don’t worry about it, Key-ah. You’re not a bad friend, I never thought so. Just get better soon, okay? Just be happy. I’ll always be here for you. Always.”

Jinki sat in his swivel chair, and put his head on his desk. He glanced at the face of the sleeping Key until he felt sleep claim him as well.



***

 

Light. 

It was too bright.

Kibum blinked several times when he woke up, trying to adjust to the sudden flood of brightness that was stinging his eyes. Rubbing the sleep away from his eyes and habitually reaching up to smooth down his hair, he looked around wondering where he was when his eyes met with a sleeping Onew hunched over, head on his desk that was right beside the bed.

Oh. Kibum recalled yesterday at the amusement park and a smile spread across his face. He must have fallen asleep at some point on Onew’s back and was brought back here. Onew’s back.

What would I do without you, Onew-yah? Kibum chuckled.

Kibum checked his phone for the time. It was 8.25am. He wondered if Onew had any morning classes when he spotted the older boy’s timetable stuck onto the wall above his desk. It just struck him that the first time he’d slept over was when he just broke up with Jonghyun and he was so caught up with his own feelings at that time to notice anything around Onew’s room. He got up and moved towards it when his gaze landed on the desk.

And there, he saw it. Nicely framed and standing proudly on the desk, a photo of himself and Onew stared right back at him.

 


 

A.N.: Oh... It seems like this series isn't that popular here? Haha I don't know. Nothing much more to say. I'll just keep updating one chapter every day :)