Chapter 10

Lucky

 

The digits on his phone’s display turned to 12:00am and Kibum’s eyes stay glued to it, anticipating the wishes to flood in right about now. A few early wishes had already come in before the midnight mark and now, his phone began to vibrate with steady pauses in between.

He scrolled through the list of new messages, not opening any yet. His lips were pursed into a tight line when he got to the end of his inbox and saw that Onew’s name was not amongst them.

It was his birthday, and for once, he, Kim Kibum, had no plans after school.

It wasn’t that nobody asked him out, no. That wasn’t the least bit possible when it came to someone like Kibum. In fact, every invitation from his friends to celebrate his 20th birthday with him in the last few weeks had been turned down by the same answer and apologetic smile, “Thank you but sorry, I have plans.”

Plans, my foot. He wanted to laugh at himself for assuming that he would have. It didn’t help matters at all when the one he’d been pushing away all the invitations for hasn’t even bothered to ask him at all. It was probably the first time he felt that Onew had failed him. And now, this.

He can’t even wish me on the dot, huh? He knew Onew couldn’t already have fallen asleep. 12am probably wasn’t even bedtime yet for the older boy, who never kept regular hours. Disappointed, he placed his phone on his desk and prepared to go to bed, hoping perhaps when he woke up that name would be there.

His phone began to vibrate continuously just as he was mentally cursing Onew and he immediately reached for it, sliding it open.

Incoming call…
Onew


Thinking that perhaps Onew had decided to wish him over the phone, he pressed the green button without hesitation and brought the phone to his ear.

“Key, Key, come quick. I- I need you. Now.” Instead of a birthday wish, Onew’s voice sounded urgent and out of breath and Kibum worried that something bad had happened to him.

“Where are you Onew? Are you okay? J-just tell me where you are.” Kibum got up and began to pace a small circle in front of his desk.

“O-outside the library. Come quick, please. Ahhh-” The line went dead.

Kibum felt a wave of dread overcome him as he grabbed his keys and hurried towards the door. He flung it open and-

 “SAENGIL CHUKHAHAE, KEY!”

Kibum’s eyes widened as he saw that it was Onew, with a tiny cake in his hands and candles shaped in ‘2’ and ‘0’ lighted on it. The candles looked way too big for the small cake. It looked silly but it was something only Onew would do.

“What the hell, Onew? Are you hurt?” Kibum couldn’t keep the worry out of his voice as he gave Onew a once-over, and when he saw that he was perfectly fine he was overwhelmed with relief and a strange urge to cry before remembering that he should be angry that he got completely fooled.

The older boy laughed at the look on Kibum’s face and said “Key, hurry, make a wish before the candles burn out!”

So Kibum did as he was told, closing his eyes and clasping his hands together. He doesn’t really know what he wished for, or if he even wished at all. His heart was pumping too quickly for him to be able to think straight. How could it be that just a second ago Onew was on the phone and seemingly in some sort of danger, and the next second he was right in front of his eyes, unscathed?

Kibum blew the candles out and tried to keep cool. Onew was already making his way into Kibum’s room, putting the cake down on his desk.

“I’m sorry, Key. Forgive me for not wishing you right on time and playing this lousy prank on you. I just wanted to give you a surprise.” Onew said apologetically and sincerely with a cute smile.

“I- I thought you forgot.” Kibum said softly, unable to hide his disappointment as he slowly turned around after closing the door.

“How could I possibly forget? You underestimate me, Key-ah. Come, let’s eat the cake!” Onew said excitedly and finally Kibum felt himself give in to the sweet gesture from Onew. 

“That’s only because you didn’t ask me out.” Kibum said as he took the slice of cake that Onew had cut for him.

“Oh? I thought you would definitely have plans.” Onew paused in his actions and looked at Kibum.

“You didn’t even ask!” Kibum protested and pouted, wishing Onew would be smart enough to take the hint and ask him now.

Thankfully, he did.

“Well, actually… I reserved a table at a small Italian restaurant in town, and if you don’t already have plans, would you like to spend the evening of your 20th birthday with me?” Onew’s eyes crinkled into crescents as he asked Kibum a bit shyly.

“Yes, pabo. Yes I will.” Kibum answered, smiling as happiness burst in his heart and he dug into the cake together with Onew, already looking forward to the day’s events.



***

 

The day rolled out as planned. When classes ended, Kibum went back to his room, arms full of the numerous gifts his friends had showered him with and prepared himself for the dinner with Onew. Italian cuisine was Kibum’s favourite, and he wondered if Onew really knew or had just taken potluck and got lucky.

He gave himself a final glance in the mirror, satisfied with the way he looked, before leaving his room to meet Onew.

The older boy got them both on a bus that brought them into town and led Kibum into a nondescript restaurant at the end of a street.

The place, albeit small, was artfully decorated. The florescent lights were turned down low such that there was a warm yellow glow around them. The ceiling was beautifully painted with swirly vines and flowers, small vintage chandeliers hung from it and there was a live jazz band at the center stage playing soft music. The waiter led them to their reserved table and laid the menu down for them to take their orders. When all was done, Kibum sat back in his chair feeling more relaxed and contented than he has for awhile.

“This place is nice.” He said as he looked around. There were even a few of those small round candles lit on their table. The only word that sprang into Kibum’s mind to describe the whole place was, well, romantic.

“They have high ratings on the net when I went to research, I can see why now.” Onew said, also taking in the whole look of the place, satisfied with his pick as he nodded.

“You did research?” Kibum was disbelieving. Onew was unbelievable.

“How else would I know which Italian restaurant was good? There are so many!” Onew laughed at Kibum’s reaction.

“How did you know, anyway? I’m pretty sure I never mentioned about my love for Italian cuisine, right?” Kibum asked, obviously curious.

“Oh yeah, you didn’t. You just muttered aloud how wine goes best with Italian food when you dozed off while studying with me one day, so I figured. Did you know you talk in your sleep?” Onew chuckled when he saw Kibum’s shocked face. 

Their food arrived shortly and for awhile, they just sat basking in the comfortable ambience and each other’s company, enjoying the food and the calming music from the band. Their conversations were light-hearted, revolving around school and the most mundane things in life, but Kibum didn’t find it boring in the very least. They could be not talking at all and it would still make Kibum happy.

Just as they were about done with their food, Onew got up and excused himself with a cryptic smile on his face. Kibum’s gaze followed him, to see him approach a man who looked like the manager of the restaurant and whisper to him. It was followed by several nods and a delighted look from the manager as he gestured for the band to stop playing. The members proceeded to pile off the stage one by one.

Kibum watched Onew walk up the stage after the manager passed him a portable microphone. The sudden halt in the music in the restaurant earned the curiosity of the other patrons. They eyed Onew up, wondering what he was up to, just like Kibum was.

Is he going to play the drums? He thought, but got more confused when he saw that Onew took his place in the center of the stage.

“Hello everyone! This may come as a surprise, but I asked for a small favour from the manager here for me to do this. Today is my friend, Kibum’s birthday. Would everyone wish him a happy birthday for me?”  Onew spoke and pointed in Kibum’s direction. Kibum could feel the audience taken in by that thing he does with his eyes and his sweet smile as they happily complied and chorused into waves of “happy birthday Kibum!”  as they turned their heads to where Onew pointed.

“So, this is a song that I wrote, specially for him. It’s called One. Enjoy.” The audience turned their attention back to the stage, interested in what Onew’s performance would bring.

Onew gaze lingered over Kibum’s for a second longer before taking his place behind the grand piano on the side of the stage where somebody had set up a microphone for him. His fingers began to move as he played the introduction to the song. His lips parted, and as the first words of the song escaped them, Kibum felt a strange sensation take over him.

Onew was singing. For him.

Jonghyun had sung many times for him before as well. But this was different. Jonghyun’s voice was powerful and domineering. Onew’s voice, on the other hand, was full of a kind of gentleness and purity. It was so crisp and clear that for awhile Kibum thought he might have mistaken it for angels chorusing. Onew’s voice was on a whole different level to Jonghyun’s, he couldn’t even begin to compare them. The truth was that, it was so different that he can’t possibly compare.

He kept his eyes on Onew’s side profile, fully captivated, listening carefully to each word that he sang.

(Let's enjoy their song for a bit, shall we? clickclick ^^)
The morning sunlight is like you
It might be a little childish, but I like it
If I’m by your side when you wake me up
I have nothing more to wish for
I want to see you


Don’t think that we can’t love because we’re young
Before it’s too late
Before I grow older, can you hold onto me?


I love you only, as much as the sky
You truly are the reason I live
I really, really, I want to hug you like crazy
We’re still going too fast, right?


So this is the truth. Kibum thought as his eyes welled up and his heart caught in his throat. After so long, after everything. This is the truth.

Whenever I meet eyes with you
I wonder if the smile that grows on my face
might reach a corner of your heart
I whisper into the beautiful ear
Inside of your uncertain heart
My feelings of love for you


I’ll be taking you
Boy, I know without you
Without you, I miss you
I’ll long for you forever
My feelings of desire and hope
My love that grows deep again
I can no longer hide them
You are me, boy


Kibum couldn’t help thinking, as he continued to stare at that person on the stage that was singing for him with all his heart, that he looked just like a prince. My personal prince, could it really be?

My heart will catch you and not let you go
Can you feel it as well?
Before, oh, it’s too late
Before I grow older, can you hold onto me?

I know that your heart
Cannot come by my side yet
Can I just call you my one?


The hook of the song caught Kibum’s heart. It wasn’t just the incredible tone in Onew’s voice that melted him completely. There was something else oozing in it as he sang the words.

It was a gentle promise that he could safeguard Kibum’s heart, but before that he could patiently wait for Kibum to give it to him.

Let’s all together one, two, three, let’s begin
You are my one, my everything
I really, really, I want to love you like crazy
I can do that now, right?
I really, really, I want to love you like crazy
I can do that now, right?


As the song drew to a close, all the people in the restaurant gave Onew a standing ovation. That was how good his song was.

Onew took the center of the stage again and said, “Thank you for giving me this opportunity to perform this today, thank you all for listening patiently.” With that, Onew smiled brightly and gave a deep bow before he began to make his way down the stage.

While Kibum’s gaze was still transfixed on Onew, his mind reeling from all that had just taken place, the restaurant’s sound system played a mellow version of the birthday song and a waiter came up to Kibum with a cake in his hands. He felt like it was a private celebration for him when the rest of the people in the restaurant began clapping and singing to the song, and he heard whisperings being exchanged.

Aww, that’s so sweet! I need a boyfriend like that!

When Onew finally made his way back, Kibum pulled him into a tight hug and the people in the restaurant applauded for them.

“Saengil chukhahae, Kibummie.” Came that same gently voice in Kibum’s ear.



***

 

Everything went surprisingly well. Jinki saw that look in Key’s eyes when they got up to leave after the delicious meal, and he was glad that the latter had enjoyed the night. He wondered if Key was aware that he’d just confessed, that he’d put his heart on his palm and handed it to him to keep.

If he knew, he wasn’t saying anything about it.

Jinki wasn’t surprised, though. It was probably all too much for him to take. All along, Jinki had guarded his emotions well, made sure that he wasn’t too obvious that he was in fact, so head over heels in love with the guy who claimed himself as his best friend.

They sat on the bus that was heading back to the university’s district, a kind of pregnant silence hanging over them. Jinki began to wonder if he’d done the right thing, choosing to confess on this night. He wondered if he’d been right and Joon and Taeyeon had been wrong, that Key just didn’t see him in that way all along, and it was just him wishfully dreaming that something real could come out of this.

Before he could carry on doubting himself, he felt warmth pressing against his body, the grip on his arm that was fast becoming a familiar feeling, and the weight on his shoulder.

“I didn’t know you could sing.” Key said in a soft voice, his eyes were closed.

Jinki chuckled and said, “There are many things yet that you don’t know about me.”

A nod came from Key, conceding to Jinki’s statement before he said again, “Why didn’t you ask to be the vocalist? Why didn’t you sing more often?”

“I didn’t want to be singing for just anybody and everybody. Maybe that will make it more special when I did sing for somebody.” Jinki replied.

Moreover, Jonghyun is just as great a singer, if not better and he had that certain charm about him that could capture the audiences’ hearts and attention. It seemed right that he should be the vocalist. Jinki thought, but kept it inside. Tonight, he doesn’t want to bring Jonghyun into the picture. He wants to be selfish, just for once, and savour this moment that consist of just him and Key, just in case it would be one of fleeting happiness.

“And you sang for me.” Key nestled his face to Jinki’s shoulder and shifted closer.

Jinki didn’t feel the need to answer anymore, and so he just let the ride go on with Key holding on to him.



***

 

Kibum sat at his desk, freshly showered and feeling recharged. He reached for the envelope and the small box that he’d left on his desk when he got back.

They walked most of the way in silence. 

Kibum would like to think that it was a comfortable silence, but it wasn’t. There were a million things running through his mind, but he didn’t want to voice any of them before he made sure that he got the situation right. 

“Thank you for tonight, Onew. It was the best, really.” Kibum said when they were standing in front of his dorm room, and he hugged Onew once again. Tonight was possibly the best night in his life so far, and it all happened because of Onew. 

He felt Onew pulling away from the hug first, reaching into his backpack and producing an envelope and a small box. 

“This really isn’t much of a present… I got it in Moscow, but I’d been saving it for your birthday. Happy birthday again, Key-ah. Sleep soon, it’s been a long day.” Onew smiled warmly and ruffled Kibum’s hair before taking the stairs to return to his room. Kibum thought he saw a flicker of sadness in his eyes before he turned away.

Onew hasn’t texted him like he usually does when he got back to his room. Kibum thought perhaps the older boy wanted to give him some space to think after the confession in the restaurant. He decided to read the letter first, pulling it out from the envelope. It wasn’t anything fancy, just an A4 piece of lined paper folded neatly in quarters, but it was completely filled with Onew’s handwriting on one side.

Dearest Key, 

Do you know? The fateful day that you first stepped into this university was when I first laid my eyes on you. I still remember what you wore on that first day. I always thought perfection didn’t really exist. And there you were, looking all self-confident and glamorous and in just an instant, you toppled the belief I had held since I was old enough to have an opinion of my own. 

Every time I think about us, I just feel that what we have, it's so amazing. We are two different people with vastly opposite personalities. We have different interests, studied different subjects, joined different activities. By right, our paths might never cross through the years that we are here in the same school together. You don’t know how lucky I feel to have fallen clumsily at your feet weeks after, for your kind heart to decide to stop and help me, for us to officially meet and grow closer. I’d like to think that it’s fate.

It was fate that brought us to our first coffee date, and it turned into a second, a third, and now already countless of times we sat opposite from each other in the same seat, sharing each day's random happenings. It was fate that brought us closer together, for me to become your best friend. It was fate that allowed me to stay beside you all these while, never drifting far from you.
 

Somewhere along the way, between our coffee dates and laughter, my feelings for you grew to a proportion that became hard to ignore. I had to accept that I, Lee Jinki, was indeed hopelessly in love with you. 

Things changed when you were with Jonghyun because then, I not only had to hide my feelings for you, I also had to hide my pain. It was difficult to listen to you talk about him, to forget me sometimes, to come crying when he broke your heart again, but I wanted to be the one there for you through it all. I tried to ignore those feelings I had, telling myself to get used to it or get over it, god knows I tried. I thought things would get better with time, but it didn’t. The truth is that every time I look at your face I only remember the reason you make me feel this way, I feel myself sinking deeper each time in your presence. I love you. 

Do you remember? That freezing cold winter night when we lay in the field, staring up at the night sky after having ice-cream and you asked me if I have ever loved someone? My body was so cold, and so was my heart when I saw you so broken, and I was fighting myself to not reach out and just hold you. Everything you’ve said at that time, I really know and understand because I felt it all for you. Do you remember? That night when you called me all the way from Korea at 3am, I thought I was dreaming. And when you said you missed me, I felt like I could fly with all the happiness in my heart. Do you remember when you said I am the kindest person you’ve met?

Do you know? That I can only be this way because of you?

You always appear so spontaneous and full of energy and positivity, bounding from place to place doing anything and everything you loved and giving your best. Living your life like a true lover would. I love to see that spark in your eyes, so full of hope for a better tomorrow, so full of passion to pursue your wildest dreams. Yet, I also saw the times when you block everyone else out and retreat into your own world of heartbreak and endless questioning of ‘why’. I know, because through it all you’ve never shut me out. And as you hurt, I hurt. 

Do you know, how in the past months that we grew even closer together, I was hoping every day when I wake up, that this will be the day I finally dare to let you know my true feelings. When will the day come when I can finally make you mine?

Let go of the emotional baggage that you have been carrying with you for the past months, since he broke your heart. I know that it made you afraid, and it made you feel like no one would ever give you the kind of love you wanted. The walls you’ve built around your heart has gotten so high that you can’t see the people around you who’d be willing to give you everything to make you happy. It breaks my heart to see you like this. You are beautiful, and you deserve as much love as you ever dreamed you could get. 

I am not perfect, and my love for you is as clichéd as love can get. All I have is really just a heart full of my sincere love for you, and arms that are always ready to hold you up when times get hard. If I have to be honest, I don’t know if you’ll accept me. I know your heart is not ready, but I can be the safe harbor for you to rest in while you heal. I'd give up the whole world in a heartbeat just to be with you.

If you allow me to, please let me love you. 
With all my love,
Onew.


Kibum wanted to cry, half from being too foolish that he’d never realized the silent, overflowing love from Onew and hurt him so thoroughly and for so many times, and the other half for denying his own feelings for Onew all this while, even until now. He sat there staring at the flimsy piece of paper; his mind could barely just make out the image of Onew bending over at his desk, writing it in the middle of the night.

There was nothing but his true heart penned down. And the magic of the whole night was that nobody had ever done something this beautiful, this noble for him before. Nobody had been quite so gentle in their silent pursuit of love, so persistent even when it was never reciprocated.

He folded the letter and put it back, when he saw that there was something else in the envelope. He pulled it out and saw that it was a CD. He set up his laptop and booted it up, in the meantime reaching for the small box by the side of the table.

“Oh my god…” Kibum gasped when he opened it up. It was a bracelet, simple silver ovals linked together and a silver key dangled somewhere around the middle of it. It wasn’t anything exquisite, but it was the most beautiful thing Kibum had seen.

Pushing the CD into the drive, he saw that it was the audio version of the song Onew had performed at the restaurant just now, One. Putting his earphones on, he pressed play and once again melted into Onew’s melodious voice and the lyrics that just illustrated everything about them so aptly. It sounded as good as a store-bought CD, if not better.

Kibum welcomed the end of his birthday and the beginning of a new day with Onew’s gentle crooning in his ears and his selfless, unconditional love for him filling up all the cracks in his heart.

 


 

A.N.: HIHI it's me again~ I came to update right after I got home from work okay so please love me T.T Yay Jinki finally confessed (did you like the idea of the performance? ^^)! But Kibum has yet to accept him because he can't be sure about his feelings. Poor Jinki D: Let's hope he comes around soon! 

Thank you to the people who regularly leave me comments, it really makes my day and doesn't make me feel like I'm updating for nobody... I'll be back soon for the next chapter! <3