Chapter 18

Lucky

A.N.: Long- A.N. at the end, do read it :)

 


 

Love songs were not exactly Kibum’s favourite kind of music, particularly those with the exceptionally sappy lyrics and mellow tunes. However, he found himself taking a liking to exactly these songs recently because they make him feel all warm and fuzzy inside when he listened to them. Just like a certain clumsy ball of sunshine who was stirring against his shoulder now, waking up from his deep slumber.

Kibum pulled the earphones that they were sharing out from Onew’s ear gently and tucked a stray strand of hair that fell in front of his closed eyes back into its rightful place. He placed a soft kiss to his boyfriend’s forehead as the older boy opened his eyes and offered Kibum a sleepy but still adorable smile.  

“We’re here.” Kibum said with a smile, putting his iPod away when Onew finally released the hold he had around Kibum’s arm and sat up in his seat.

“Finally. I can’t wait for the week to unfold~” Onew drawled lazily as he stretched his arms but he suddenly swooped in to wrap Kibum in a tight hug. The action caught Kibum completely unawares and it made him let out a surprised ‘oh!’

“Hmm… So comfortable… Can I sleep for a bit more like this?” Onew murmured against Kibum’s back, making the younger boy giggle at his overflowing cuteness.

“No, you can’t, because I’ll leave you here if you want to continue sleeping! Come on, big baby, ireona~” Kibum wriggled around in his seat until Onew finally complied.

“You won’t really leave me here will you?” His boyfriend asked with that sad thrown-away-child expression that just gets Kibum every time.

“Of course not, silly. Don’t you know how much I love you?” Kibum brought his face closer to Onew’s until the tips of their noses were touching. He knew his boyfriend wasn’t really upset, but he thought it wouldn’t hurt to be cheesy once in awhile too.  

“You just wanted to hear me say it, didn’t you?” Kibum poked Onew’s chest and asked with a stern expression when Onew broke into a huge smile at what he said previously. 

When the coach finally came to a stop, Kibum quickly squeezed past Onew and alighted to escape from the situation that made him blush so hard. He stood looking around at his new surroundings, and saw that Taemin was already standing somewhere away from the coach with this scrunched up face and squinted eyes and so Kibum walked up to join him.

“Ow… I can’t feel anything in my anymore…” Taemin mumbled in a still-sleepy voice while rubbing his numb , making Kibum snigger a little.

In all honesty, his own behind was also sore from the long ride up from Seoul, but at least they have arrived at Sokcho now.

Kibum turned around in search of his boyfriend, wondering what was taking him so long. He had expected Onew to come right after him and continue to about the rare occasion that he was actually being corny, but he found Onew still standing near the exit of the coach with his parents, in the middle of freeing his father’s grasp on the adults’ shared baggage and adding it to his own load that already consisted of Kibum’s and his own.

Oh. He had actually forgotten all about his luggage in the midst of all their goofing around earlier.

Suuuuuuuuuch a good man… Kibum smiled at the scene before him and walked the few steps towards them with Taemin following behind.

“It’s okay, appa, let me. I am a strong man now!” Onew said to his father who eventually shook his head in defeat at Onew’s stubbornness.

“Uri Jinki-yah, he’s all grown up now and even knows how to take care of others so well too! Yeobo, just let him be a good son, ne?” Onew’s mother chipped in, gently guiding her husband away and beginning to walk away from the group, while Onew grinned with pride at the compliment.

“Onew-yah, there’s really too much for you to carry by yourself. Let me carry my own, at least?” Kibum reached for his luggage just as Onew opened his mouth, probably to decline him, but then closed it again as if he thought better of it, and let Kibum take it.

“Thank you, Kibummie!” Onew said and made a cute face at Kibum. He was just about to pinch Onew’s cheeks when Taemin piped up from behind.

“Hi~ Does anyone remember poor neglected Taeminnie here?” Kibum turned to face Taemin who had a pout hanging off his lips, not entirely sure what to say or do. He had no idea if Taemin was honestly annoyed or not.

Onew, on the other hand, as if completely used to such situations, just laughed and waved Taemin over.

“Of course, Taemin-ah. I’ll carry your bag too, how about that?” The older boy ruffled Taemin’s hair and offered kindly.

“YAY! Jinki-hyung you’re the best!” Both Onew and Kibum shook their heads, smiling at Taemin’s response. Kibum could really see why Taemin always acted like a little kid in need of attention around Onew with the way the older boy doted on him.

“Come on, kids! We should be checking in to the hotel now!” Onew’s father called out to them and they simultaneously shouted “Ne!” and quickened their paces to join the adults.

Kibum checked his watch; it was about half past three in the afternoon. They would be spending the night here in Sokcho before taking another bus to Seoraksan National Park tomorrow morning.  He had an entire week ahead to spend with Onew and his family, and the thought alone made him buzz with so much anticipation.

It was certainly a nice and fresh feeling, and he had one week to savour it.

He took a quick glance at everyone in the group as they walked the short distance from the express bus terminal to the hotel they will be staying for the night. Taemin had given up trying to be pampered by Onew and had taken over his own luggage again, and he was gesturing to things in the surroundings and talking enthusiastically to Onew, who nodded along and smiled at the younger boy from time to time. Onew’s parents were laughing at what the other said with their arms linked loosely. Such a loving and kind couple they are, even after they have been married for so long.

Kibum found himself wondering whether he and Onew might be like them, staying this in love even after so many years, even when they have both grown old, had kids, and their kids had their girlfriends and boyfriends, and they’d–

“Kibum-hyung, why are you smiling to yourself like that?” Taemin’s cheery voice broke his train of thought and curious eyes came into his view. Taemin had stopped walking and was looking at him with his head tilted to the side, while Onew was a few steps ahead but also looking back at Kibum with a questioning expression.

“A-aniya! I was just spacing out. Let’s go Taemin-ah.” Kibum grabbed Taemin’s arm and walked to Onew’s side.

They have already arrived at the hotel and Onew’s parents were at the reception checking in. The place wasn’t grand, but it felt rather cozy with a neat foyer decorated with bright flowers and warm lighting filled the place.

“Kids, this is your room key and we’re just next door. It might be a bit of a squeeze because there are three of you and only one big bed, but we figured that it is better than leaving anyone to stay alone…? Anyway it’s just for one night, so bear with it ne?” Onew’s mother handed a pair of keycards to Onew as they all piled into the elevator.

“I might have liked having one room to myself…” Taemin began.

“Yah, Taemin-ah! You don’t want your hyung anymore?” Onew whacked Taemin’s arm lightly, pretending to be hurt and the younger boy burst out laughing.

“Kidding, hyung! I’m kidding! But you won’t try anything funny with Kibum-hyung with me around, will you? And on the same bed too.” Taemin said cheekily, purposefully lowering his voice to a conspiratory whisper so the adults won’t be able to hear him even in the confines of the elevator. In fact, Kibum wasn’t even sure if he was meant to have caught that.

“Aish, you…” Onew didn’t get to continue as the elevator doors ping-ed open and they were on the seventh floor. Their floor.

Onew made a face at Taemin while the younger boy covered his mouth to stifle his giggles. Kibum, who could feel his face burning, was about to die from embarrassment but tried to keep his composure to avoid more teasing.

“Have a rest for now, or entertain yourselves. We’ll go out for dinner together a little later!” Onew’s parents said, smiling and leaving the trio alone as they went into their room.

Taemin was the first to rush into their room the moment it clicked open with one swipe of the keycard, followed by Kibum and Onew. The room wasn’t too small considering that it was meant for two. The bed stood in the middle of the room, accompanied by a miniscule bedside table. There was a small television set, a mini-fridge, and even a vending machine right in the room.

Kibum walked to the vending machine and stood in front of it, examining the merchandise displayed in the little metal cabin. There were the standard snacks, drinks and… condoms?! His eyes widened and he felt his face flush again as he recalled what Taemin had said in the elevator but quickly pushed those thoughts away. Not that they were really going to need it even if they really wanted to try something funny, but it was not the right time in their relationship just yet. Kibum knew this. There was never any pressure from Onew’s side either, so he guessed that the older boy thought the same way too.

“Uwah!” Taemin let out a loud exclamation of satisfaction as he plopped down onto the bed, immediately closing his eyes. “This is really comfortable.”

Kibum smiled at the adorable boy and walked to the windows, pulling the curtains back as daylight flooded into the room. The view of Sokcho beach right below greeted his eyes and it was really beautiful.

Onew who had been busy with putting their bags neatly in a corner of the room and checking the facilities in the bathroom came out then.

“Okay, everything is in working order. We can just rest now until dinner time!”

No one in particular responded to Onew and after a short pause, Kibum felt warm arms wrap gently around his waist from behind and a sharp chin resting on his shoulder. He could feel Onew’s breathing, every inhale and exhale making Onew’s chest press closer to his back or draw away slightly.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Kibum said, turning his head a little to look at Onew, who just looked back at him and smiled warmly.

“Want to go take a walk? We have a couple of hours.” Onew suggested to which Kibum nodded his head eagerly.

“Taeminnie... You want to come with us down to the beach for a walk?” Kibum walked to the side of the large bed that Taemin was lying on and apparently has not moved since he first flopped on to it and prodded his shoulder lightly.

“…hmm? Nah, it’s okay. I want to have this bed to myself while I can, you two go ahead.” The youngest of them said without even bothering to open his eyes.

“We’ll come get you when it’s dinner time.” Kibum ruffled his hair and went to join Onew who was waiting for him after drawing the curtains again, smiling as he watched the interaction between his boyfriend and cousin.

Taemin only gave a faint hum in response. He was probably already halfway to dreamland by now.

The pair walked with a comfortable silence between them and Onew reached for Kibum’s hand and held it. It was already so natural between them now, like it was the right thing to do. Onew kept smiling to himself as they walked and Kibum couldn’t help but ask him about it.

“I was just thinking about just now. You and Taemin really get along so well, don’t you think? It’s like he totally accepts you as a part of this family and it’s so nice like that. I really like this feeling.” Onew explained, the smile never leaving his face.

“That’s just because you now have two people fawning over you instead of just one…”

“Oh, I got found out!” Onew feigned a look of surprise, covering his mouth with a free hand and looking at Kibum with widened eyes.

When Kibum started to pout, Onew chuckled and pulled him closer.

“No, baby. I’m serious. I have everyone I love. I have you. It feels complete and I couldn’t ask for more.”

Kibum broke into a smile, squeezing their clasped hands and said “I know.”

 

The beach was rather deserted, perhaps because it was slightly chilly this time out. The sea looked a little choppy as it kissed the shores periodically. Kibum suddenly wanted to feel the cold waters lapping at his feet and the sand between his toes, so he let go of Onew’s hand and quickly pulled off his shoes and rolled up his jeans.

“Baby, you want to go in the water? It’s cold.” Onew asked with a hint of uncertainty in his voice.

Kibum glanced up from the ground and gave Onew his best smile that he knew the older boy just could not refuse. “I want to walk in the water a little, just near the shore. Can we?”

At that, Onew also bend down and did the same with his shoes and jeans. The two of them walked, one after another, holding their shoes in one hand. Kibum giggled with happiness as he felt the tickly sensation when the cold waves crashed against his legs. Onew was walking behind him, occasionally kicking the surface of the water and splashing some water onto his legs.

Kibum turned around and walked the few steps back towards Onew, holding his hand out to the older boy, who took it without hesitation. They began to walk again, one hand holding their shoes, the other holding their love.

They didn’t do anything particularly special, just walking down the length of the beach, Kibum occasionally stepping away from the sea and picking something up from the sand. A shell, some unique-looking stone, or a stray shellfish, telling Onew about the times he would go to the beach with his parents in the summer when he was a just a tiny kid and he would collect all the shellfish he could find then beg his parents to let him keep them.

Onew would squat beside him, examining the little creatures with him as Kibum told him the different ridiculous names he used to come up with for them, and Kibum would laugh when Onew recounted a particularly amusing feat he did when he was younger.

He wasn’t even sure how much time had passed, perhaps half an hour? Perhaps more. He was already feeling a little worn out as he and Onew found a rocky ridge near the shoreline but out of the reach of the waves and they sat down to rest. He settled himself comfortably between Onew’s legs, leaning back against his chest. The breeze from the sea blew inland and Kibum shivered involuntarily.

“Cold?” Onew asked, at the same time closing his arms over Kibum’s shoulders.

The younger boy turned his head down and pressed his lips against Onew’s forearm.

“I won’t be with you around.”

Onew felt like a comfortable rocking chair, keeping him warm and rocking them back and forth so gently it was enough to make him feel sleepy.  Kibum wasn’t even trying to support himself at all, he was just there sitting, almost lying, in Onew’s embrace, feeling completely relaxed and contented about life.

“Are we late for dinner?” Kibum mumbled lazily, gazing out at the sea and at the orange sphere that was gradually lowering itself towards the horizon.

“We have time for the sunset.” Onew’s low voice came just next to his ear, and then he felt the older boy nuzzling his neck softly.

So they sat there, letting the breeze dry their wet feet, breathing in the salty air and each other’s comforting scent, until the sun finally disappeared into the sea. It was the first time Kibum actually watched the sun set, and the fact that he caught it with the one he loved most was truly a wonderful feeling.

“I love you baby.” Kibum whispered.

Onew answered him with a sweet kiss.

 

***

 

They were up bright and early the next morning, all ready to set off for Seoraksan after a sumptuous traditional breakfast from the hotel. The Lee family managed to snag the back row seats on the express bus this time and Jinki sat between his parents and Key, with Taemin on the other side of Key, right at one end of the seats.

The two younger boys were listening to whatever was playing on Key’s iPod Touch and battling to a round of Touch Hockey on the device. His parents were having a lighthearted discussion about how much the park might have changed since the last time they went, looking out of the window at the passing view.

Jinki leaned back in his seat, a content smile adorning his face as his mind drifted back to guessing what Key and Taemin might be listening to. He was suddenly reminded of that song they were listening to on the way here from Seoul, the song he fell asleep to.  

“Do you want to choose? The song.” Key said as he handed one side of his earphones to Jinki together with his iPod when they had boarded and settled down on the coach.

“It’s okay baby, you choose.” Jinki gave him an easy smile when he took the earphone and leaned his head back on the seat, turning his head to the side to watch Key scroll through his playlist way too quickly to catch any names. He closed his eyes after seeing that Key had chosen the song ‘Lucky’. Jinki knew the song.

The sound of acoustics flowed into his right ear followed by gentle, crisp vocals. It was a simple duet with a cheerful vibe that made him feel relaxed whenever he listened to it. Jinki was paying close attention to the song, the way he does sometimes when it was quiet and his mind automatically broke down the parts that constituted the background track.

“…wait for you, I promise you

I will~”

The downside was that the actual singing tended to go unnoticed while he focused on the bass, the drums, and the smallest details that were usually so neglected. He pulled his mind back and listened to the lyrics instead.

“Lucky I’m in love with my best friend

Lucky to have been where I have been

Lucky to be coming home again

Lucky we’re in love in every way

Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed

Lucky to be coming home someday”

As Jinki processed what the lyrics in the chorus said, he came to a sudden revelation. Lucky I’m in love with my best friend?Did Key want to let him listen to this song? Is this what he felt about them?

Jinki opened his eyes and took a sidelong glance at Key. But said boy was just swaying his head to the beats of the song with a faint smile on his lips as he stared straight ahead. Jinki couldn’t even be sure if Key was paying as much attention to the song as he was, so he closed his eyes again, waiting for sleep to catch up with him.

He was still conscious when he felt the younger boy his hair and gently guide his head that was swaying from side to side from the coach’s motion to rest on his shoulder. Jinki smiled just the tiniest of smiles and raised his head, pretending to be woken by Key’s actions, but then looped his arms around Key’s and leaned back down to his shoulder to continue sleeping. Key continued to run his hand down Jinki’s hair and the side of his face with a soothing momentum, and he began to sing to the song in a very soft voice, barely audible above the hum of the coach’s engine.

“…music fill the air

I’ll put a flower in your hair”

“Though the breezes through trees

Move so pretty, you’re all I see

As the world keeps spinning round

You hold me, right here right now”

Jinki remembered that he didn’t have the chance to listen to what’s next, because he had already drifted off to sleep like that, listening to the little serenade of love and feeling bliss in his lover’s gentle touch. 

He looked to his left again and saw Taemin playing something on the iPod while Key watched from beside him. Both of them were bobbing their heads in time and tapping their feet to what Jinki assumed was the rhythm of the song they were listening to.

Reaching over, Jinki poked Key’s side playfully, causing the other boy to jolt and jump in his seat.

“Omo! Onew-yah!” Key turned around and smacked Jinki’s hand while Jinki laughed himself silly. Key was so ticklish that even such a small action could generate a huge reaction from him.

“I’m bored, Key-ah. You keep playing with Taemin and ignoring me. Do you like him more than me now?” Jinki said and pouted.

“Yeah Jinki-hyung, I think so! Be careful, Kibum-hyung might have a change of heart and fall for me.” Taemin said without looking up from his game.

“Yeah, be careful. I might go for Taemin instead.” Key full-out laughed at what the youngest of them had said, shaking his head at his own joke. He reached for Jinki’s hand, however, and held it tightly, giving him a meaningful look that seemed to say you know I’m only joking right, baby? It’s just you, only you.

So Jinki just leaned in, resting his head on the younger boy’s shoulder and mumbled, “My Kibummie.”

 

The cool air that hit his face as he stepped outside was refreshing to Jinki’s senses and very much welcomed after the thirty-minute ride in a stuffy bus that didn’t exactly have the most comfortable seats in the world. What followed next were them depositing their belongings in a motel right outside the park, where they will be spending the night, in record time so that they still had the entire afternoon to explore the park.

“Seoraksan, we’re here again!  How long has it been, honey? Thirty years maybe?” Jinki’s father looked at his mother fondly as they stood in line waiting for their turn on the cable cars to take them to the top of the mountain.

“Yes, yeobo. Thirty-one, to be exact. We were both just eighteen then.” His mother was also having that far-off look in her eyes and a tender smile on her face as she recalled that distant piece of memory she shared with her husband.

Jinki knew that this was the place where his parents officially started dating, where his father had asked his mother out for the first time, thirty-one years ago. Their love story was such a strong and sweet one really, and Jinki yearned to have such a relationship like his parents’ too. Instinctively, he glanced over at his boyfriend, who was watching his parents’ exchange with curiosity.

“What happened here when you were both eighteen, eomeonim?” Key asked with mildly raised eyebrows, like he was also trying to guess the answer at the same time.

Jinki was just about to recount his parents’ beginning, but Taemin beat him to it.

“Hyung, this is where uncle Jaeseok first asked aunt Minhee out! When they were on their high school graduation trip!” Taemin gushed, excited to share the story. Like Jinki, Taemin was certainly also wowed by his parents’ long-lasting love.

A look of pure surprise passed through Key’s sharp features and Jinki resisted an urge to laugh at that look. That was the way most people reacted when they first heard about it. Not that it was something really extraordinary, but in today’s day and age, such a persisting and unyielding relationship was just hard to come by anymore.

“Wow. That’s… that’s really… Amazing.” Key said, astounded and in awe. He caught Jinki’s eye for a second, a look in his dark brown orbs that seemed to be filled with longing and a tinge of determination.

Jinki wondered if Key was thinking what he was thinking.

The queue for the cable car ride was generally fast-moving despite the crowd, and they were already near the front of the queue after about fifteen minutes. They could see part of the ascending route that the cable car would take to the top of Seoraksan from where they were standing. Jinki saw Key suddenly shuffling towards him and holding his hand as if his life depended on it.

“O-Onew… It’s high u-up there…” Key stumbled quietly, his grip around Jinki’s hand so tight that he could feel the circulation in his hand being cut off.

Of course, how could I have forgotten about that? Jinki chided himself briefly before peeling Key’s vice-like grip away and pulling him into his chest for a comforting hug. 

“Don’t be afraid, Key-ah. Remember the ferris wheel ride we went on? You were so distracted by the view that the heights didn’t even scare you. It’ll be the same later too. Just hold my hand, hmm? You’ll be okay.” Jinki said softly while Key’s hair, and the younger boy seemed to have relaxed significantly as he nodded weakly against Jinki’s shoulder.

“Aigoo~ these kids! They really make me miss falling in love…” Jinki’s mother said as she looked at the pair.

“Yah, yeobo! Are you saying that you’re not in love now?!” Her husband asked with mock annoyance and a hurt look.

“Aniya! I mean young love, just look at them! You know there’s a time in life when you felt like you could give up the entire world just for the one you loved? We are old now, Jae-ah, we’re way past that.” Jinki chuckled seeing his mother smile wistfully and resting her head on his father’s shoulder. In what way were they not behaving just like a pair of young lovers themselves, he does not know.

He would have his parents to blame for having such unrealistically high expectations for his own relationship. But Jinki would make it work. They were so good together, and he was sure Key felt so too. Tightening his arms around Key, he buried his cheeks into Key’s soft brown hair, letting the younger boy lean on him for support.

Jinki felt someone touch his arm tentatively, and he raised his head to see a confused Taemin mouthing “Wae?” to him.

He untangled an arm around Key and ruffled Taemin’s hair with it.

“It’s nothing, Taemin-ah. Key has a small fear for heights, but it’s really nothing to worry about, isn’t it?” Jinki said and he felt Key hide his face further down into the neckline of his shirt. Key was probably embarrassed, or perhaps afraid that Taemin would for it.

“Ohh~” Taemin’s face dawned in understanding. Then, he went to tug on one of Key’s arms and said, “Kibum-hyung, you don’t have to be scared! I used to be just like you, and my phobia for heights was so bad I couldn’t even move my feet at all when I’m anywhere near high elements. But then it got better, and now I’m not afraid anymore!” Jinki seriously wanted to hug his little cousin for being so loving to his boyfriend as well.

“H-how? I never seemed to be able to grow out of this…” Key raised his head and regarded Taemin.

“It helped when I had someone’s hand to hold. Now you have both Jinki-hyung and I, so don’t worry! You will enjoy the ride, I promise you!” Taemin smiled and said excitedly.

“T-thank you, Taemin-ah. You’re so sweet to me…” Key stepped away from Jinki’s embrace and held one of Taemin’s hands.

“Number 441!” An ahjuhssi who was regulating the queue for the cable cars called out. Jinki hasn’t even noticed that they have already reached the front of the queue and were next in line for the ride.

“That’s us!” Jinki’s father said and ushered everyone forward and into the waiting car. Jinki heard Key exhale heavily and he reached for Key’s hand and squeezed it.

“Don’t worry baby, I’m here.” Jinki said reassuringly and Key nodded, forcing his lips into a weak smile.

As they took their seats in the square cabin, Jinki let Key sit between himself and Taemin on one side, while his parents took the seats on the opposite side. When the cable car began to move off and out of the station, Jinki could feel Key’s tightening grip on his own hand, and he placed his other hand on top, rubbing the smooth skin in a soothing pattern to calm Key down.

“I’ve forgotten how beautiful it is.” Jinki heard his mother breathe in awe, and he let his attention drift to the view out of the glass panels that were behind them, making up one side of the cabin.

Wow... The view was indeed breathtaking.

“As beautiful as ever, even after thirty years.” His father agreed.

Jinki turned back to Key, who had kept his head down and his eyes tightly shut since he sat down, and patted his hand. Jinki wanted to experience the beauty around him together with his boyfriend. It was too magnificent not to.

“Key, baby.” Jinki began to whisper. “Baby, turn around, have a look outside.” Key shook his head firmly, no.

“It’s beautiful; you don’t want to miss it. Come on, baby.” He refused to leave it as it is and tried again.

Jinki smiled when Key took a deep breath and opened his eyes. As their gazes connected, Jinki gave him an encouraging smile while Taemin watched them from his side of the cabin.

Slowly and extremely cautiously, Key turned around in his seat and looked straight out of the glass panel, carefully keeping his gaze away from the ground far below them. Jinki shifted a little to allow Key more space, and he waited awhile to make sure the younger boy was feeling alright before he added, “Down there, Kibummie. You see all the rocks and hills? The temple with the statue? That’s where we were awhile ago.”

It took a moment of consideration before Key finally lowered his gaze and began to survey everything that Jinki had just pointed out to him.

The younger boy nodded and said, “I see them, I see them all! There’s a waterfall too, somewhere really far away! It’s so grand, like a scene out of national geographic!”

Jinki could literally hear his growing excitement as he marveled at the view. He could see that Key was slowly forgetting about his phobia again by his relaxed grip, and so Jinki slowly let go of his hand and shot a look at Taemin, who was smiling right back at him and nodding in approval. Without Key realizing, he was already pressing his palms and forehead against the glass as his eyes took in the new sights beneath him.

The ride to the top of the mountain took them less than ten minutes, of which was mostly spent with Taemin trying to dig for details from Jinki’s parents about their younger days while Key listened in fascination and Jinki tried not to laugh at the look on their faces. It was such a pleasant feeling that Jinki found himself wishing that things would always stay this way.

They spent the rest of the afternoon trekking around the hilly regions at the top of the mountain; there were just so much to see. Jinki, Key and Taemin listened the adults’ occasional reminiscing about the past and their light-hearted chit chat. Key seemed to be completely captivated by everything around him and Taemin was keen to venture to the more tricky edges where the adults may have some trouble with. Jinki kept by his parents’ side to make sure that they were safe at all times.

“Jinki-yah, don’t worry about us, we are not children anymore! Go join Kibum and Taemin! Kibum might be feeling neglected, you know…” Jinki’s mother said after Key and Taemin took off ahead to a ledge overlooking the park that was only bordered by a short wooden fence.

“Umma, he won’t feel so! See? He’s getting along so well with Taeminnie.” Jinki nodded to the pair and smiled. The boys were standing right at the edge of the fence and Key was pointing to the distance, like he was trying to show Taemin something.

“Yes, but you are his boyfriend. Now go and don’t disturb me and your appa’s time together.” Placing an insistent hand on Jinki’s back, his mother gave him a light push ahead, his father chuckling softly behind.

Pouting, Jinki finally joined the boys at the ledge.

“Umma said I’m disturbing her and appa’s time together, Key-ah.” He stood behind Key and Taemin and muttered. Both boys turned at the same time and Taemin laughed, not commenting on what he’d said, while Key just extended his hand to pull Jinki between himself and Taemin and linked their arms together.

“Then you can stay here with me.” Key tilted his head to rest it on Jinki’s shoulder briefly before getting back up to admire the scenic view. Jinki snickered; Key was always extra conscious about their acts of affection when anybody else was around them, but he was fine with it. There were times when even the outgoing and confident boy Key is became shy and reserved too.

Jinki could see that the sky was now a wonderful hue of orange and yellow with just a tinge of red near the sun as it began to lower itself in the sky.

“Do you think we can see the sunset from here, Jinki-hyung?” Taemin asked, not taking his eyes off the brilliant picture of the sky before him.

“Guess not. There are too many hills around blocking the view.” Jinki was saying, when he felt Key’s arm tighten around his, and he knew his boyfriend was thinking about their time by the beach when they watched the sunset.

It was a little snippet of time that belonged exclusively to the two of them and it was perfect.

 

***

 

The motel they were staying in for the night was small, cozy and Japanese-styled, complete with tatami mats and shoji paper screen doors. After their hike at Seoraksan for the entire day, everyone was worn out and had retired to bed early. They were planning to return to the park again the next morning for a second round of exploration, and maybe find that waterfall that he saw on the cable car too.

Kibum was lying on the futon with Onew sleeping in between him and Taemin, typing a note on his iPod, his eyes squinting because of the brightness coming from the screen. One of Onew’s arms was under his neck, as usual, and Taemin was sleeping curled up against Onew on the other side, both the boys already fast asleep.

He could hear faint snores coming from the adults’ room next door, separated by only a thin paper screen door, while the sound of steady breathing filled the air around him. Aside from those, the place was completely still as though there was a blanket of serenity covering them, something that was uncommon at only eleven in Seoul city.

Kibum was trying to write down what he was feeling in the duration of the trip before he forgot the details. Because everything felt so incredible to him, he wanted to record it down and make sure he will always remember all the precious moments spent together with Onew and his family, how he felt in this one week.

It was new, what he was feeling now. He had felt a little nervous, worried or perhaps even afraid prior to the trip, because other than Onew, he didn’t know everyone else that well and they knew next to nothing about him as well.

What will they think about me? Will they like me? I’m not the most polite or easiest person to get along with… What if we don’tget along? These questions kept coming up in the days leading up to their little vacation, and his endless worrying even made him feel like backing out at one point. That was until Onew sat him down and convinced him that there was nothing he had to worry about and everyone will have a good time.

And so far, so good.

If he turned his head a little to the left, Kibum could clearly see Onew’s side profile. His nose straight, and a little rounded at the tip, his lips plump and always a little chapped, his Adam’s apple sharp and prominent. Kibum also noticed that Onew doesn’t sleep in that same way of burying himself under his covers when they were together. Instead, he would become Kibum’s personal blanket, wrapping him in his arms and pampering him like a newborn baby. Of course, they weren’t quite as intimate since Taemin is around, which explains why the older boy is just sleeping straight on his back in this moment. But Kibum doesn’t mind. The young mushroom-headed boy who was snuggling up against his boyfriend looked so peaceful in his sleep that Kibum couldn’t help smiling at the scene.

Kibum’s phone suddenly vibrated twice, signaling a new message, and he reached for it, wondering who would be looking for him when school was out and they are on their vacation.

1 New Message: Minho (12-12-10 11.34pm)

Kibum-ah, are you still awake…? Uhm… D’you think… Jonghyun-hyung will actually like me back? I mean, for real?

Kibum raised an eyebrow, wondering what brought on such a question that was b with insecurity from the usually confident Minho. He realized that he never even got around to asking Minho how his date with Jonghyun went, or rather Jonghyun’s “seeking professional help from Minho as a sportsman to get a new pair of trainers”, as Minho quoted from Jonghyun himself. Professional help, my foot…

“I’m just going to sleep in a bit. What are you talking about Minho-ah? Why won’t he?” Kibum quickly typed a reply and sent it out.

He needn’t have to wait long for Minho to reply, which was probably a good thing because he could feel his eyelids growing heavier and he may begin to ramble incoherent things any moment now.

1 New Message: Minho (12-12-10 11.37pm)

I don’t know…ㅠㅠ He’s been really nice to me since that time we went out together to get his trainers and I guess we’ve grown a lot closer. He calls me or asks me out for dinner after school sometimes and it makes me really happy but I’m also worried that he’s just being friendly with me and I am taking it completely the wrong way… ㅠㅠ I was hoping you would know, y’know, since you’ve been with him and all… Ah, I don’t know!

Kibum smiled and rolled his eyes. Minho can save his worries because he was sure Jonghyun felt at least something for him. He was not one to initiate things if he wasn’t at least a little interested, as Kibum would know from his constant wooing of the older male before. So for now, sleep.

“LOL Minho, relax. It sounds like good progress to me tbh. Don’t worry and just take it slow ok? I’m going to sleep now, good night ‘ㅂ’”

Putting his phone and iPod away, Kibum his side, put an arm around Onew’s tummy, and drifted to sleep.

 

When he came to again, he was tucked under the covers and Onew was lying beside him, staring at him with bright eyes. Oh, how wonderful it felt to wake up beside the person you love. Kibum pretended to be startled by Onew’s stares.

“Why are you staring at me like that? It’s creepy.” Kibum reached over to the back of his head and brought Onew’s arm from under his neck back over his head, hugging it to his chest and rubbing it out. His arm must be numb after all those hours of being slept on. 

“I’m trying to interfere with your brain waves and wake you up using my special boyfriend telepathy.” Onew said and pecked Kibum’s nose quickly, giving him a dazzling smile.

Kibum broke into peals of laughter at what Onew said, the sound of his laugh piercing the silence of the room. It was then that he realized how quiet it was. He pinched Onew’s cheek lightly and said, “I see it must have worked. Where’s Taemin? And your parents?” It was a little odd that they didn’t seem to be around, because they were all supposed to have an early start so that they can finish the park before sunset.

“Actually, they just left for breakfast. I told them I’ll wake you up and then we’ll join them.” Onew said as he started to pat Kibum’s stomach, the way you would pat a baby to sleep.

“Mwo?! It’s so rude for me to stay in bed! We’re supposed to go back to the park early today, isn’t it? What time is it anyway?” Kibum almost shot up from the futon in alarm, but Onew’s arm on his stomach was holding him down, leaving only his torso lifted off the futon.

“Key, baby, relax. It was my parents who told me to let you sleep in. And actually, no, I don’t think we are going back to the park today. The temperature dropped a few degrees overnight and it’s too cold now. We’ll have to change our plans.”

“Oh…” Upon hearing what Onew said, Kibum relaxed and fell back to the futon. Well, they should skip the park if the weather was undesirable. It could be dangerous, what with all the rocky paths and ledges that aren’t even bordered by fences…

Kibum could feel a funny sensation that was travelling up from his stomach to his chest, and it continued to make its way up. It was Onew who was creeping his fingers up his body while humming the tune to Pink Panther. Kibum giggled because it tickles and he tried to grab Onew’s hand to stop it but to no avail.

“We should be getting up now, Onew-yah.” Kibum said, trying to swat Onew’s hand away and failing once again, and he began to sit up.

“Morning kiss?” Onew turned to lie on his stomach and looked at Kibum with a cheeky grin.

Kibum smiled at his boyfriend and leaned forward. When their lips met, it was just a soft kiss, a gentle nip, once. But it was enough.

“Morning, sunshine.”

“Morning, beautiful.”

 

The weather was indeed cold and horribly dry out. Kibum was all wrapped up in his coat and the scarf that Onew had insisted he put on. The Lee family had discussed over breakfast that they will return to Sokcho and then make their way to the ski resort at Pyeongchang a day earlier than planned.

“I’m glad we don’t have to go back to Seoraksan. I’m aching everywhere from yesterday.” Onew grimaced as they were making their way to the bus terminal.

Taemin started to laugh at him and said, “Hyung, I think you’re too old now! I feel perfectly fine!”

“Aish, Taeminnie! Do you hate me that much, huh?! So I’m old now?” Onew said, his bottom lip pushed out in a pout and Kibum couldn't help but snigger at the sight of his boyfriend being cute again.

“Aniyo, hyung-ah~ You know I love you the most~” Taemin dramatically leaned into Onew’s chest and closed his eyes, mimicking a girl who was being shy in her lover’s embrace. Onew was going to start tickling Taemin when his parents interrupted them.

“Jinki-yah, can you go get us our tickets?” Onew’s father asked and without a second’s hesitation, Onew nodded “Ne!” and went off.

Then, Taemin began to smirk mysteriously and beckoned everyone into a circle. He looked at the direction that Onew went off, making sure that he was well out of ear-shot before starting to speak in a low, confidential tone.

“So, tomorrow is Jinki-hyung’s birthday, what shall we do to surprise him?”

Jinki’s mother chuckled and said, “Yes, we were supposedly going to spend the day travelling to Pyeongchang, but now that plans have changed, we can give him a surprise.”

Kibum was smiling in contentment, glad that he was part of this family effort in making his beloved boyfriend’s birthday memorable. He had something special in mind for Onew, of course. But it was even better that they were planning a surprise for him too.

Taemin’s eyes were twinkling with mischief as he began to tell the company what he had in mind for his favourite hyung’s twenty-second birthday spent away from home.

 


 

A.N.: HELLO PEOPLE, I AM BACK. 


Okay, okay. I know. Two months out, that's beyond forgiveable. So much has happened in the last two months that has kept me from writing and posting sooner. I apologise. /90 degree bow/

So first, I received my GCE A Levels results (which, btw, was a huge fail) and then I had to worry about applications to the universities for the next month or so. And on the same day that my results were released, a good friend of mine... passed away. So for awhile I couldn't do anything at all or focus on anything because I would be thinking about him all day and etc. It even affected my performance at work and can I just say, my boss wasn't pleased at all. Yup, my boss has been giving me hell at work with the increasing workload so most of the time when I get home my brains would be so fried I can't think at all, much less write. So please forgive me people T.T 

Okay back to this fic. I initially wanted to write about 3 chapters first before posting, just to get ahead of myself to prevent ridiculously lousy chapters like the last one. But! I figured that by the time I actually got around to finishing the 3 chapters it would be Christmas already or something :/ The ideas are all in my head but aren't written down. So I'm going to just post what I have now, what I've written over the last few weeks. 

I had meant to write the entire family vacation in one chapter, but it has proven to be too long (this chapter alone was 7.6k words...) so I really have no choice but to cut it in two parts. If you found this chapter good, then it's an extra-long chapter as a reward and apology for you having to wait so long for my update, but if you found that this chapter then... Sorry for the extra-long nonsense :/ I'm not very good at discerning how good my chapters are anymore :/

Coming up next will be part 2 of the Lee family's vacation loveydoveykisskisskissOnkey (the good parts are here tbh), Kibum gets a bonus (what bonus?), and something else~

Anyway, not going to lie. I wasn't planning to post this chapter today at all, and I don't know when I was planning to post it. But I came back here and read through all the comments you guys have left me here before and it really motivated me to finish writing it tonight and post it for you people. Can I also say that being out for two months like this and I gained more subs than lost.... Really thank you people for restoring my faith! 

Now comment/subscribe/show me some love because you're awesome like that. Come on, I have't heard from some of you at all! You may now bash me for being MIA for so long, tell me the chapter is good, tell me it , guess what's going to happen next or tell me what you think, anything at all. I hope when I wake up in 5 hours I'll see at least some notifications keke ^^ 

Ok, it's 1.42am now. I'm out! 

xoxo.