Chapter 1

Lucky

Jinki could still remember the day he first laid eyes on Kibum like it was just yesterday.


It was a day in March last year, the first day of his third year at Seoul National University, the best university in Korea, and all students were gathered in the auditorium for the Dean’s address.

“Good morning to all students, welcome back! Today marks the beginning of…” The Dean began his address which also served as a formal welcome for the newest batch of freshmen for the university. 

Leaning back comfortably in his seat, Jinki pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. He had heard it all before, this was his third year after all. Honestly, there was nothing new the Dean could share that would be interesting anyway.

 Jinki is an all-rounded student, taking a double degree in Chemistry and Economics and was also the drummer in their school’s most popular student-initiated band. He was an easy-going person, but somewhat socially awkward which makes him seem like a nerd who has no life at first glance. Actually he does have a lot going on and does well for himself. This was probably why so many people, staff and peers alike, adored this dorky man so much. The badass-drummer side of him was definitely a bonus.

 As his thoughts drifted away to what the new school term had in store for him, it was disrupted when a small group of students came into the auditorium and was ushered into the empty row behind Jinki’s by a lecturer. 

“So sorry, we couldn’t find our way around and so we were late...” One of them was explaining to the lecturer apologetically.

“It’s okay, we understand.” The lecturer responded kindly but wearily. 

How rude, just the first day of school and already late? Jinki thought in disbelief as he turned around to look at the group of students. 

That was when he noticed Kibum.

Jet black hair set in neat, asymmetrical bangs across his eyes with a few streaks of brown highlights. Sharp eyes lightly lined with black eyeliner. Flawless skin. Pouty, well-sculpted lips that were slightly coated with a layer of lip balm. For a freshman clad in fitted skinny jeans and carrying a silver bag, it was hard for him to go unnoticed. He sat there with a slight air of confidence and a half-smirk as he listened attentively to what the Dean was saying.

Jinki remembered he had turned back to face the front after the brief (brief, really?) breakdown of the freshman’s appearance, thinking to himself how it was possible that any boy could look this exquisite and fine.

It’s been months, he thinks to himself at this memory, slightly bitter. He was still waiting.



***



The first time Kibum met Jinki, it was because the latter had sent his arms full of books and papers flying in all directions after he clumsily tripped over his own feet.

It was amusing, to say the very least, as Kibum went forward to help the boy gather his things while he was lying sprawled on the floor. He got up, picked up his black-framed glasses and put it back on, and rubbed his sore elbow like a 5 year-old, a small pout hanging on his lips before he realized Kibum was helping him and he quickly started to gather the papers that have flew away.

“Oh, thank you so much, I am such a –” The boy started as he looked up at Kibum who had so kindly stopped to help him, and broke off abruptly in mid-sentence, a look of recognition flashed across his eyes. 

At Kibum’s questioning look, he only uttered a hasty “thank you” again and began to retrieve his books from Kibum’s hands. 

Kibum laughed, and said “Here, let me help you bring some of these to your destination. There’s so much stuff here I think you’re going to trip a second time if you carry it all alone.” 

“Ah… That’s an idea. Thank you so much. I need these back in my room. I live in the school dormitories, so it isn’t that far. Thanks for your help again! Erm… My name is Lee Jinki.” He looked slightly sheepish at his clumsy act and his cheeks were tinged a faint pink as he smiled awkwardly.

 “Oh, I know you! You play the drums for the school band right? I watched your performance at the freshmen Dinner and Dance night, you were really good. I’m Kim Kibum.” Kibum introduced himself and smiled back at Jinki as they began to walk towards Jinki’s dorm room.

Kibum chuckled, remembering how he had thought it was cute that this Jinki boy was acting all flustered and embarrassed, so unlike his cool-drummer persona on stage. He was wearing a pair of glasses, which he didn’t have on that night. But that thing he does with his eyes, Kibum could recognize it anywhere.

When he smiled, his eyes disappeared into arched slits, like they were smiling along as well, and his straight white teeth showed. He has a defined jaw line, but above it, his glasses rested on cheeks that looked like they never quite lost all the baby fats. Kibum couldn’t help noticing his resemblance to a bunny.

Being the outgoing and sociable character that he is, Kibum was trying to make conversation with Jinki along the way, just to fill the awkward silences that hung thick above them whenever Kibum stopped talking. 

“So, you must be at least a third or fourth year student right, erm… I should be calling you hyung? ‘Understanding Chemistry for Advanced Level’, ‘Macroeconomic Policies in Korea’... Wow, these books don’t look friendly at all.” Kibum made a face as he read off the titles of the thick textbooks in his hands. 

“Yes, I’m a third year student. Well, yeah. Sometimes they can get really tough, what with a double degree and all. But it’s okay, because I like it! What about you? You can’t be anything older than a second year…” Jinki smiled his cute eye-smile and looked down at the shorter boy, even though he knew clearly that Kibum was a freshman. He’d known that since day 1.

“I’m a freshman actually, majoring in Arts & Design. Wow, a double degree? Does that mean hyung is really brainy or something? Oh, I should think so, since you like all these scary subjects keke.” Kibum teased the older boy playfully and Jinki just smiled. 

Before they knew it, they were in front of Jinki’s dorm room.

“Kibum-ah, thanks so much for your help. Hmm… Would you like to stay for some coffee?” Jinki offered, with another one of those smiles that Kibum had thought made Jinki look even younger than him. 

“I’d love to, hyung! But I still have to attend a meeting for the Student Council. How about next time?” Kibum said with a pout, regretful that he had to go. 

Jinki brought all his things into the room and set it down, walked to his desk, wrote his number down on a post-it note and went back to Kibum who was still waiting at the door. He stuck the note in Kibum’s palm. 

“Call me.”

Kibum smiled, remembering all these that happened less than a year ago. That was how it all started, his friendship with Lee Jinki.

 


 

A.N.: An ongoing huge chaptered fic that I am shifting over from my LJ. I don't have time right now because I'm going away for 2 days so pardon the lack of images and etc, and this is going to be a teaser chapter for you guys. Do subscribe if you like it! 

Oh and yeah, there are many more chapters of this on LJ already. But let's not spoil the fun for everyone else, shall we? Let's wait for me to come back hehe. Much love! <3