Bending Rules

Constellate

          “Jeesssiiiii. Would you at least consider it, please? She’s modeled before, and I promise she’s professional.”, Tiffany whines as she follows Jessica down the hallway leading to her office.

 

          Jessica chuckles, “Fany, I’ve told you, just because we’re friends doesn’t mean I’m going to do special favors for you. If your sister wants to be a model for this company, she has to go through the same process as everyone else.”

 

          Tiffany pouts, “But she’s experienced!”

 

          “Then if she applies normally I’m sure she’ll be put into consideration.” Jessica says a little coldly. Of course Tiffany’s her friend, in fact Tiffany is her closest friend, but Jessica hates being asked for favors like this. Whether it be people she meets at party's, or her employees it always seems like everyone wants to use her.

 

          In the year they’ve known each other Tiffany has never once asked for more than what an employee in her position should. Until now. Jessica feels like she could almost be mad at Tiffany for this. Almost. The truth is, she sympathizes with Tiffany because it’s not a favor for herself. No; she’s just looking out for her sister. Still, Jessica knows she shouldn’t break rules just because her friend asks her to.

 

          “I’m positive she’d be accepted if she applied normally, Jess.” Tiffany says pleadingly.

 

          “Then why are you bothering me about this? Have her apply, and that’s it. Simple.” Jessica says as she opens the door to her office.

 

          Tiffany shuts the door behind them before following Jessica to her desk, “Because that’s such a long process. It takes nearly 6 months!”

 

          Jessica looks at her with annoyance clearly written on her face, “What’s your point?”

 

          Tiffany sighs and sits in the chair opposite Jessica, “Can I at least tell you a little more about what’s going on?” Reluctantly Jessica nods, “I’ve told you that my sister’s a model, haven’t I?”

 

          Jessica nods, “She started out young, right? At 5?”

 

          “Yeah. doing toy adverts and she hasn’t stopped since. Our dad has always done everything for her. He’s her manager, he takes care of all her money, absolutely everything.”

 

          “So what’s the problem then? Why does she suddenly want to come to America?” Jessica asks out of genuine curiosity.

 

          Tiffany sighs, “It’s not that she wants to, it’s that she has to. You see… my sister… well, she’s gay. I mean, I’ve known for years now, and I’m fine with it. But recently our dad found out and he’s definitely not okay with it. He’s disowned her, Jess. Not just that but he’s outed her to every single agency. None of them want to work with her now. The worst part is he has all of her money and isn’t giving it up.”

 

          Jessica marvels at the thought. She herself isn’t straight and as someone with accepting parents she can’t even begin to fathom a father treating his own daughter that way.

 

          Tiffany continues on, “She has about a thousand dollars, but that’s it. She’s catching a flight here tonight and I’m letting her stay with me. But you and I both know a thousand isn’t going to last her 6 months while she waits around to be hired.” Tiffany looks into Jessica’s eyes in such an open and vulnerable way, it makes Jessica want to turn away to avoid the stare. “She’s qualified Jess. Hell, I think she’s overqualified. All I’m asking is for you to move her application to the front of the list so she doesn’t have to wait.”

 

          Jessica closes her eyes and puts her head in her hands. She was determined to say no to Tiffany. She hasn’t broken any rules for anyone, and she hadn’t planned to. However, after that heart wrenching story her resolve is wavering. What would happen if she said no to Tiffany? Her sister would probably be stuck living with her and though she knows she pays Tiffany well, it would hardly be enough to support them both without Tiffany moving and changing her entire lifestyle.

 

          Then you have Tiffany’s sister; the poor girl must be absolutely heartbroken. Thrown out by her father, her hard earned money taken away from her, blacklisted from working in the only career she has ever known, and forced to move out of the country.

 

          “What kind of monster would add to all that pain?”, Jessica thinks to herself, “Definitely not me… I could even ease it for her. I just have to bend one single rule...”

 

          Jessica sighs as she lifts her head back up; once again meeting Tiffany’s eyes. “Alright. I’ll forward her application to the front of the list. When should I expect to receive her portfolio?”

 

          Tiffany grins wider than Jessica’s ever seen, which is saying a lot considering how happy of a person Tiffany is. “I can send it to you now.

 

          Tiffany takes a small laptop out of the messenger bag that’s tossed over her shoulder and with a couple mouse clicks and key taps she shuts it again. “I don’t know how to thank you for this, Jess. I swear this is the only thing I’ll ever ask you for.”

 

          Tiffany stands from her seat, walks to Jessica and wraps her in a tight hug.

 

          Jessica can’t help but laugh, “It better be the only thing. You can thank me by not telling anyone I’m doing this for you.”

 

          Tiffany pulls away, still grinning, “Of course. I promise she won’t disappoint you either. She’s really is a professional.”

 

          “She better not. But you should be on your way out Ms. Hwang. Both of us have work to do.”

 

          The smile on Tiffany’s face doesn’t falter as she briskly bows to Jessica before walking out of the office.

 

          Now alone, and still feeling a little iffy about her decision, Jessica turns on her computer and checks her mail so she can get a look at the portfolio she’s just received.

 

          “Hwang, Krystal. Birthday October 24th, 1994”, Jessica reads outloud. The pictures that follow the initial page of information knock the wind out of Jessica. This girl is stunning! Tiffany had only ever shown her pictures of Krystal when she was kid. However all the photographs displayed on her screen are of a  gorgeous woman.

 

         A stunned chuckle leaves Jessica’s mouth as she continues to scroll. She knows she’d be a fool to turn this woman away. Hell, she’d consider hiring her even if she didn’t have any modeling experience.

 

         With a smile on her face, Jessica closes the email and continues onto her paperwork for the day. She feels pretty good. Not only has she done a favor for her closest friend, and helped out a girl who was probably feeling hopeless. She’s also gained a new model that’s sure to attract more attention to her company.