Staying Over

Constellate

         On Thursday Jessica sees papers on her desk that she was expecting to see eventually, though not exactly this soon. They’re 4 application forms for different companies that Krystal is applying to work for, awaiting Jessica’s approval and endorsement. She signs them all with a small smile on her lips.

 

         She knew Krystal would have to get other jobs to support herself, but Jessica wasn’t expecting the girl to get started so fast. Though it will still be quite a few months before Krystal receives any word of her acceptance or rejection

 

         “She’s responsible. That’s good”, Jessica thinks as she sets the now signed papers aside. She had her doubts about Krystal being able to take care of herself. From what little she had learned, Krystal was a pretty sheltered, and coddled child.

 

         Jessica glances at the other papers on her desk that are awaiting her signature and sighs. She’s not nearly as excited about seeing them.




 

         Friday at 8, Jessica’s getting ready to leave her office when her phone vibrates. A quick glance at the screen shows that it’s a call from Tiffany. Jessica answers without hesitation.

 

         “Hey, Fany.”

 

         “Jessi! You’re not still cooped up in your office are you?” She asks in an excited tone that Jessica is familiar with. It clearly gives away Tiffany’s intentions of inviting her to hang out.

 

         “I’m just leaving now. Why? Did you need me for something?”, Jessica asks as she locks her office door and starts walking to the elevator.

 

         “Kind of. I just wanted to know if you’d want some company tonight?”, Tiffany asks casually enough.

 

         It’s definitely not an odd request; despite their age she’d had many slumber parties with Tiffany. Having her best friend over was one of the rare events that made her too empty penthouse feel like a home. Laughter disrupting the normally still air, having the warmth of another body in her bed; that is, without the emptiness Jessica always felt after sleeping with a stranger.

 

         At the thought, a smile spreads across Jessica’s lips, “I think that’d be pretty nice.”

 

         “Great! So when can you pick up Krystal?”

 

         It takes a moment for what Tiffany said to sink in, “What?”

 

         “Krystal. You said you wouldn’t mind some company, so she can come over, right?” Tiffany asks the question as if Jessica should have known who she was talking about already.

 

         “I assumed you were talking about yourself. Why Krystal? I thought she didn’t want to talk to me?” Jessica says in confusion. Though Krystal hadn’t told her directly, the fact that Jessica hadn’t heard from her since their date was enough.

 

         Tiffany sighs, “Because she needs to get out of the house…” Tiffany is silent for a second before adding, “And my boyfriend is coming over.”

 

         As Jessica walks into her home she chuckles, “Of course that’s the reason. Why can’t you go to his house?”

 

         “He has a roommate Jessi, I’m sure I’ve told you that before. Also where did you get that Krystal doesn’t want to talk to you? She hasn’t told me anything like that.”

 

         “She hasn’t said anything to me since dinner Friday. I think that’s a pretty clear indicator that I didn’t exactly woo her.” Jessica says with a joking tone, though it actually hurts to admit.

 

         Tiffany snorts, “You ing swept her off her feet, Jess. That kid pranced back through the door Friday night grinning like I’ve never seen before. She’s just shy. She’s been waiting for you to text her and you haven’t, evidently because you’ve been waiting for the same thing.”

 

         Jessica mentally slaps herself; of course that was it. After all these years of being single she’s lost her tact. “God I’m an idiot…” She whispers to herself.

 

         Tiffany laughs, “Yep, you are. There’s no doubt about it. But any way, when can you come get her?”

 

         Jessica thinks for a second before speaking again, “Are you sure she’s alright with staying the night here? Me and her barely know each other, not to mention she might think I have bad intentions.”

 

         With a dramatic sigh Tiffany speaks again, “Look, I haven’t spent any quality time with my boyfriend since Krystal’s been here. Not that I’m mad at her for it, but I mean… ya know. So just please, please, let her stay with you tonight.”

 

         The desperation in Tiffany’s voice makes Jessica laughs, “Fine. As long as she’s okay with it.” brief silence takes over as Jessica thinks for a moment, “So uh, does Krystal watch any shows or like any certain movies?”

 

         Tiffany chuckles, “Geez Jess, just ask her yourself. You have her number. Go do whatever you have to do, but just pick her up before 11, alright?”

 

         Jessica sighs in defeat, “Fine. I’ll be there before then.”

 

         As soon as she hangs up the phone, Jessica goes to text Krystal.




 

         “Hey Krystal, has Tiffany talked to you about you coming over?”




 

         Jessica’s surprised when the reply comes back in less than a minute.




 

         “She has. I can’t believe I’m getting booted out so she can have boyfriend time TT”




 

          Jessica smiles; she’s extremely happy to see that Krystal’s texting style is a little more relaxed than before.




 

          “Yep. Looks like you’re stuck with me tonight. If you’re up for it I was thinking we could binge watch a show or something. Unless you’d want to do something else?”




 

          “Only if there can also be ice cream.”




 

          Jessica can’t help but smile at her phone.




 

          “If you let me buy it there can be, What kind do you like?”




 

          “I’ll agree to that, but ONLY because I paid for dinner last week. I like anything chocolate. The more chocolate the better <3”




 

          “Double chocolate it is then. I’m going to take a fast shower, pick up the ice cream, and then I’ll be there to get you."




 

          “Ok. I’ll see you soon :) “




 

         Jessica’s grinning widely as she walks to her bathroom. She had worried that tonight would just be spent in awkward silence. Mostly because of how tense Krystal had seemed last week. However, just by her texting style, she can tell that things will be fine. Though she does wonder what changed that’s causing Krystal to act so much less formal.

 

         Still smiling widely, and feeling giddy, Jessica hops into the shower.




 

    

         When Jessica pulls up to Tiffany’s house she doesn’t even have time to text Krystal saying she’s here. Krystal is already out of the door and running to Jessica’s car with a grin on her face. Just the sight makes Jessica smile, too.

 

         “You can throw your bag in the back seat”, Jessica says through the open window.

 

         Krystal does exactly as asked before hopping up front. When the door is shut she turns to Jessica with that wide smile.

 

         Jessica finds her heart beat speeding up. “Damn. She looks so gorgeous.” She thinks as she stares at Krystal. Running to the car has made the younger girl’s hair a bit ruffled, her cheeks flushed, and her breathing slightly heavier. But the best part? The main reason Jessica’s stomach is fluttering so badly? It’s all because Krystal’s excited to spend time with her.

 

         “Is something wrong?”, Krystal asks.

 

         Jessica chuckles, “Nope. You’re just really cute.” She says honestly; hoping it’s not too bold.

 

         Krystal looks down shyly, “Thank you.”

 

         Jessica spares the girl another smile before pulling away from Tiffany’s house.




 

         Two episodes in and Jessica is beyond content. Though they haven’t talked much, it feels good just to have someone else on the couch with her. Even if they are lying on opposite sides. The huge piece of furniture is big enough for them both to stretch out without even their feet touching.

 

         It’s at the end of the second episode when Krystal sits up and says, “Hey, could we take a little break?”

 

         Jessica doesn’t mind, but she’s still confused, “Yeah, that’s fine. Is something wrong?”

 

         Krystal smiles, “No, nothing’s wrong. I was just hoping we’d be able to talk some tonight. I don’t really care about what, I just want to get to know you better.”

 

         A wide grin spreads across Jessica’s lips, “I’d like that. First, why don’t you get a little closer. We’re like a mile away from each other.”

 

         Krystal chuckles as she scoots closer; leaving a comfortable foot and a half of space between them.

 

          “So what did you want to know?”, Jessica asks.

 

         “I’m not really sure… uhm… well… how’d you get where you are? Owning your own business I mean.”

 

         “It’s not nearly as interesting as you’d think. I graduated high school early and went straight into college. I took business focused classes for years, then took fashion based classes. After working under other people of awhile I was able to get enough money and influence to start my own business.” Jessica finishes with a smile, “Like I said, it’s boring.”

 

         Krystal shakes her head, “I don’t think so. You must be a really hard worker.”

 

         Jessica snorts, “I work a little too hard, honestly. Now that the company is more stable I’m trying to relax and take some time off, but it’s just not something I’m used to.” She pauses for a second before adding, “I don’t have many friends, so the time I do get away from work is just spent by myself. I’d rather be doing something productive, you know?”

 

         Krystal looks at her thoughtfully, “You feel lonely. You mentioned that last week.”

 

         Jessica nods, “I am.”

 

         “But… you’re really pretty. I mean… you could just go to a club and get anyone you wanted, I’m sure.”

 

         Jessica chuckles, “That’s not exactly the kind of lonely I mean. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve gone out just to hook up with someone more than once, but it doesn’t make me feel much better. Rolling around the bed with someone I hardly know doesn’t do much for me aside from quenching the obvious physical cravings. I want to connect with someone emotionally. In a romantic or friendly sense. But it’s difficult for me to get close to people.”

 

         Krystal tilts her head questioningly, “What makes me any different?”

 

         Jessica smiles, “I’m not totally sure. Maybe it’s just because Tiffany has been doing her damnedest to get us together, but I’d like to think it’s something besides that.”

 

         Krystal is silent for a long moment before speaking, “Whatever it is, I’m glad you’re giving me a chance.” She chuckles, “I was actually kind of worried after how I acted last week.”

 

         “How you acted last week? What do you mean?”

 

         “Well, I’m sure you can tell the difference in me now compared to then. I was just… just so nervous you know? I wanted to impress you with how mature I am so I tried to be less kiddish, but I think I just came off as boring. So from now on, like it or not, this is the real me. Kind of goofy and definitely not as mature as I probably should be.”

 

         Jessica laughs, “I like the real Krystal a lot better. Truth be told I’m probably not as mature as I should be either. But I have to at least act it when I’m at work.”

 

         Krystal looks down and giggles, “I’m glad. I haven’t really dated anyone so I’m a little unsure of how to act in general.” She looks back at Jessica with a smile on her lips, “But from now on I’m determined to just do what feels right.”

 

         Jessica gives Krystal a confused look, “You haven’t dated anyone at all?”

 

         The question seems to make Krystal nervous, “Well… not really. Not that I didn’t want to, but I couldn’t exactly tell anyone back home I’m gay. Even though I haven’t dated I have uhm… messed around some.” A bright blush covers Krystal’s cheeks, but she still manages to make eye contact with Jessica, “You know what I mean, right? I don’t want you to be scared away because I’m… I’m inexperienced with that.”

 

         Curiosity causes Jessica to question her further, though part of her knows she might be crossing boundaries “You’ve gone all the way?”

 

         Krystal doesn’t look up as she talks, “N-no.”

 

         Seeing how flustered the topic has made Krystal causes Jessica to smile, “It’s alright. It doesn’t matter to me, I promise. I’m sorry if me asking was too much.”

 

         When Krystal finally looks back toward Jessica her face is bright red, “No, it’s uhm, it’s alright. I’m the one that mentioned it anyway.”

 

         Jessica offers her a gentle smile, “Alright. Do you want to get back to our show?” Krystal nods.

 

         Jessica’s getting ready to press the play when Krystal interrupts her, “Jessica?”

 

         “Hm?”, She hums questioningly.

 

         “Could we sit closer together this time?”, Krystal asks shyly.

 

         The question causes Jessica to grin, “Of course.” Without hesitation Krystal closes the space between them. Jessica spreads the blanket that’s on her lap over both of them before putting her arm around Krystal’s shoulders, “Is this okay?”

 

         Krystal snuggles even closer; resting her head on Jessica’s shoulder, “This is perfect.”

 

         With fresh butterflies in her stomach, Jessica presses play.




 

         “Jessica, are you sleepy at all?”, Krystal asks as the credits roll.

 

         She isn’t, but one glance is enough to make it evident that Krystal is. Jessica smiles, “I could use some sleep.”

 

         Sluggishly, Krystal stands from the couch and stretches. As she does, her shirt rises up some; exposing a couple inches of bare skin. Without much thought, Jessica’s eyes are drawn to Krystal’s stomach.

 

         “,” Krystal says teasingly as she finishes stretching.

 

         Jessica laughs, “I’m sorry. I only saw a few seconds of tummy. I’m not that big of a .” She stands from the couch. “You don’t mind sharing a bed with me, do you? There will be plenty of space between us.”

 

         “I’m fine with that.”


 

         After a few minutes of before-bedtime prep, Krystal walks into Jessica’s room and laughs, “Wow. You weren’t lying when you said we’d have plenty of space between us. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bed this big.”

 

         Jessica, who's already lying down, smiles, “Most days I wish I would have gone for a smaller bed. This one is way too big for just me.”

 

         Krystal crawls under the covers a few feet away from Jessica, “It’s comfy though. I wouldn’t mind having a bed like this.”

 

         Jessica chuckles, “You’d change your mind after so many nights alone in it. There’s just too much space.”

 

         Krystal looks at her with a straight face, “You’re not alone tonight, though.”

 

         Jessica gives her a small smile, “No. I’m not. Thank you for coming over. Not being alone… it just feels really good.”

 

         Krystal is silent as she stares back at Jessica. The atmosphere is starting to feel a little heavy and Jessica’s getting ready to break the silence, but stops when she sees Krystal scooting closer to her.

 

         In only a few seconds, soft, warm lips meet Jessica’s. Her whole body buzzes with electricity for the split second that their lips touch.

 

         Too soon, Krystal pulls away before smiling at Jessica, “You don’t need to thank me. I’m glad Tiffany kicked me out for the night, too. Let’s get some sleep though, alright?”


         Jessica nods before turning off her bedside lamp.  Even as she closes her eyes, a wide smile remains on Jessica’s lips.