Dinner

Constellate

         On Friday Jessica makes it a point to leave the office early. There’s no way she’s going to be late for this date; if it can even be called a date that is.

 

         By 6:30 Jessica is satisfied with her appearance: a white button up shirt and maroon blazer with tight black slacks and high heels to match. Feeling confident that this evening is going to be a good one, she takes the elevator to the parking garage with a faint smile on her lips.




 

         When Jessica arrives at the restaurant she’s a little surprised to see Krystal already standing outside. A quick glance at her watch proves that it’s only 6:40. Nonetheless Jessica’s happy to see her. Not to mention happy to see the outfit she’s wearing; a short black dress the hugs her body in all the right ways.

 

         In Fact, the sight is a little breath taking. Jessica’s thankful that she has a few seconds to compose herself before Krystal notices her. When Krystal’s eyes do finally land on her Jessica notes the obvious happiness that lights up her face, “Miss. Ju-, I mean Jessica. Hello.” She says with a smile.

 

         Jessica smiles back, “Krystal. I’m sorry if you were waiting long.”

 

         She shakes her head, “I wasn’t. I arrived about a minute ago.” Though she’s trying to sound formal, there's something a bit nervous and shy about Krystal’s aura. Jessica finds it more than a little endearing.

 

         “You look very gorgeous.”, Jessica says truthfully.

 

         Immediately Krystal lowers her eyes to the ground, “Oh… uhm, thank you. You’re really beautiful, too.” She says bashfully.

 

         It’s obvious that Tiffany hasn’t told Krystal anything of Jessica’s interest in her, and Jessica’s thankful for that. Seeing Krystal’s genuine reactions to her unexpected flattery is truly heartwarming.

 

         “I’m really glad to hear that from you. Any way, I think we should get inside. That dress is lovely, but it can’t be doing much to keep you warm.”

 

         Krystal chuckles, “It is kind of chilly.” With that they walk inside with Jessica leading the way.

 

         After sitting down, as they wait for their food to arrive Jessica tries to strike up a conversation. Though she has to admit, she doesn’t really know where to start.  “So, how are you liking the city?” She asks.

 

          Krystal smiles, “So far it’s alright. I haven’t gotten to see much of it though. Just some stores, and your building. Besides, all that was with Tiffany. I think this is the first time I’ve been out of the house without her.”

 

         Jessica tilts her head, “Is it tough for you to go around town without her?”

 

         Krystal shrugs, “No, not really. I think it’s just more because I’m not familiar with the city, you know?”

 

         Jessica nods and an uncomfortable silence sets in for a few seconds before Krystal interrupts it, “I want to thank you again for hiring me.”

 

         Jessica laughs, “Don’t mention it, really. You’re a very stunning woman, with a lot of modeling experience behind you. Honestly, I think you’re the one who did me the favor.”

 

         Krystal chuckles, “It’s just that I was feeling awful. I mean, after everything that happened with my father. Then I felt even worse once I realized I’d be messing up Tiffany’s life. But with being able to work so fast I can at least pay for bills and things until I have enough to move out. So thank you.”

    

         “I’m just happy I could help ease your pain some. I know your whole situation has to feel terrible.”

 

         A sigh escapes Krystal, “Honestly, I can’t remember my life ever feeling this difficult and complicated. Looking back, I don’t think I’ve had anything to worry about at any point. Not like this at least.”

 

         Seizing the opportunity to comfort the girl in front of her, Jessica reaches across the table and puts her hand on top of Krystal’s, “I’m here for you if you need anything. Someone to talk to, or even just someone to get out of the house with. I want to make this situation as bearable for you as possible. Okay?”

 

         Krystal doesn’t meet Jessica’s eyes as she speaks, “O-okay. Thank you so much, really.”

 

         Jessica’s thumb swirls a gentle circle on the back of Krystal’s hand before moving away, “Quit thanking me. I just don’t want you to go through more than you have to. So, you don’t have to tell me if it’s too personal, but how did your father find out about you?”

 

         Krystal surprises Jessica by laughing, “Oh geez, it’s not that it’s too personal. It’s that it’s too embarrassing.”

 

         Jessica can’t help but smile, “Embarrassing? Did he catch you kissing someone or...?”

 

         Still smiling, but looking down shyly, Krystal says, “No, nothing like that. I uh… Well, I don’t know if Tiffany told you but I was planning on visiting her for a week or so.”

 

         Jessica nods. It had been about a month ago, but Tiffany had said something about it.

 

         Apprehensively, Krystal continues, “Well she had… She had sent me a picture of you and asked what I thought of you. We went back and forth about you some and then when I went to the bathroom I left my phone out in the open. It was locked, and I don’t know how dad got into it, but he did.”

 

         Jessica looks at Krystal with a bemused expression. Of all the ways she had thought of for Krystal to be outed, this definitely wasn’t one of them. What should she do now? Apologize that it was her that got krystal in trouble in the first place? Laugh at how bizarre the situation is?

 

         “I don’t want you to feel bad about it or anything! Just because it was you we were talking about.”, Krystal says hurriedly.

 

         “I can’t help but feel a little responsible.” Jessica pauses for a moment before continuing, “But, if you two were talking about me for awhile, then am I to believe that you like me?” Of course Jessica already knows the answer. But Krystal doesn’t know that.

 

         Krystal grins and looks into Jessica’s eyes, though she seems to be struggling to maintain the contact, “I do. Call it a stupid girlish crush or whatever, but I think you're gorgeous. And you’ve been so kind to me so far.” Krystal chuckles, “I think it’d be difficult for me not to like you.”

 

          Jessica smiles widely, it’s good to actually hear Krystal say it, “I’m beyond flattered. I was pretty blown away by how stunning you are, but I have to say, it’s your cute personality that really made me interested in you.”

 

          Krystal’s face lights up with excitement, “You’re saying you feel the same way about me?!” Doing her best to fight back a laugh, Jessica nods. Krystal chuckles, “I can hardly believe this.”

 

          “Is it really that hard to believe? I’d think someone like you gets admirers all the time.”

 

            “Yeah but… none of them are like you. And Tiffany said you’re not a romance focused person so I was sure you wouldn’t think of me as anything but an employee.”

 

            Jessica chuckles, “Typically I’m not but there’s only so much loneliness a person can take.”

 

            Despite Jessica’s joking tone, Krystal looks at her seriously, “You’re lonely?”

 

            “Well, I mean, being single and never going on dates just wears on you after so many years. Especially when I do consider myself a romantic person, and I really do want a relationship but I’m always afraid work will get in the way. But then you come into my office, all cute and blushy as you ask me to dinner… what can I say? You weakened me.”

 

           Krystal smiles at her, “Wanting to be with someone isn’t a weakness, but I’m glad that I helped change your mind.”

 

          All chatting stops as a waiter sits their food in front of them.




 

          Dinner went well. In fact, Jessica thinks it was fantastic. As she drives Krystal back to Tiffany’s she finds herself driving a little below the speed limit just so she has more time to spend with Krystal. Not that they’re talking. Actually, it’s silent save for the radio. But the quiet is comfortable.

 

          Jessica’s mind is a little full at the moment. She knows that she wants to give Krystal a kiss goodbye when they finally arrive at Tiffany’s, but she doesn’t know if she should. After all, Jessica is positive Krystal doesn’t have a great deal of dating experience, so maybe it would be too much for her? It might even give her the wrong idea of Jessica’s intentions.

 

          Too soon for her liking, Jessica arrives at Tiffany’s house and parks the car out front.

 

           Krystal turns to her with a smile, “Thank you for letting me take you out. I really hope we can go out like this more.”

 

           Jessica grins back, “We definitely will. Thank you for tonight.” It’s quiet as they both stare at each other for a second, but Jessica’s mind is racing.

 

           “Well, I’ll talk to you later. Drive safe, alright?” Krystal says as she gets out of the car.


          “I will.” Jessica says with a smile before waving goodbye and driving off. The regret of not going for a kiss makes Jessica’s stomach sink, but she pushes the feeling away by telling herself that it would have probably made Krystal uncomfortable anyway.