Leaving

Constellate

    From the restaurant Jessica goes straight home. There’s no way she can go back to work in the state she’s in. Instead she’s lying in bed, the same bed she’s shared with Krystal for months, staring at the ceiling.

 

    What’s going to happen next is a mystery, and that’s what scares Jessica the most. At this point it’s all up to Krystal.

 

    It had taken very little thought for Jessica to know that she wanted them to stay together, no matter what she would have to do to make that happen. The younger girl has become such a huge part of her life. To Jessica the main problem was figuring out how to deal with their parents. Would they tell them the truth? Would they lie to them?

 

    However Krystal seems to be struggling and Jessica can’t blame her. They’re sisters, what they’ve been doing is beyond taboo. Despite that, in Jessica’s mind they’re both completely blameless. They hadn’t known; they couldn’t have known. They’ve already experienced so much together, and Jessica’s positive she’ll never be able to see Krystal as just her sister.

 

    She’s hoping against hope that after calming down, Krystal will be able to think everything over more clearly. Though the contempt and disgust Krystal had shown earlier doesn’t bode well.

 

    Jessica can’t accept that Krystal could drop their relationship so easily. Even under these circumstances. What Jessica feels for her is something unexplainable and perfect. Something intense and incredible. Now that they’ve spent the last year together, she can’t imagine a life without Krystal. She had always assumed that Krystal felt the same way.

 

    If Krystal is able to push her away so coldly, that would mean that Jessica’s feelings are one sided. The thought of Krystal not loving her equally causes an undeniably deep ache in Jessica. It hurts even more than finding out they’re related.

 

    When Jessica’s phone rings she answers it immediately in hopes of hearing Krystal’s voice. Instead it’s Tiffany she hears.

 

    “Hey Jessi. I wanted you to know that Krystal is with me.”, Tiffany says plainly.

 

    “How is she doing?”, Jessica’s trying her best to not sound like she’s been crying, but she’s failing horribly.

 

    “Not well and it doesn’t sound like you’re doing much better. She told me what happened. I’m so sorry. If I had known I never would have set you two up in the first place.”

 

    “None of us could have known, Tiffany. Don’t blame yourself for this.”

 

    Tiffany chuckles weakly, “It’s hard not to. Listen, Krystal didn’t want me to tell you, but I think you should know. She’s thinking of going to Los Angeles for a while to spend time with your parents.”

 

    Jessica’s heart sinks, “Can I talk to her?”

 

    “I really don’t think that’s a good idea. She needs some time away from you.”

 

    More tears well up in Jessica’s eyes. Time away from her? Staying in Los Angeles? All of Jessica’s hopes are slowly dying.

 

    She struggles to speak through tears, “Tiffany, I can’t lose her like this.”

 

    “I don’t think you have much of a choice.” Tiffany says apologetically. “I have to go, but text me if you need anything.”

 

    Before Jessica and say anything more Tiffany ends the call. Jessica shoves her face into her pillow. The fact that Krystal doesn’t even want to talk to her is crushing enough on it’s own, but she’s also thinking of moving across the country. Jessica’s unable to move or function, all she can do is let her tears flow, and try not to think about the future.




 

    Nearly 24 hours after Her meeting with her parents, Jessica is still a wreck. She stayed home from work, but she’s starting to think she should have gone. At least then she’d have something else to focus on. Instead she’s just lying in bed, alone with her thoughts.

 

    Jessica’s starting to resent her bedroom. Of all the places in her home, it’s the room that makes her hurt the most, but at the same time she can’t bring herself to move. The blankets and pillows are washed with the familiar smells of Krystal’s shampoo, bodywash, and lotion.

 

    Beyond that, this room holds too many memories. Jessica clutches Krystal’s usual pillow to her chest as she recalls everything that’s happened in this exact spot. The first night Krystal had spent with her, and the morning after when she woke up with Krystal snuggled against her. The night after that when she’d been woken up by the sound of Krystal crying. That was also when Krystal had revealed to Jessica that she was adopted. All the peaceful nights they had spent holding each other close. Every time they had made love.

 

    On the heels of that thought Jessica remembers their first time. It had been so full of emotion and passion. It had felt undeniably right in every sense. Though it wasn’t in this bed, she also thinks of their last time together.

 

    They had been in their ocean view hotel room with the window open. The smell of fresh sea air filled the whole room, while the orange light from the sunset spilled in. At the time Jessica had thought that the scene must be more beautiful than any piece of art could ever even dream of being. Knowing that Krystal is now probably repulsed by those memories makes Jessica have to stifle a sob.

 

    Jessica hates to admit it, but even a small part of herself flinches away from those memories.

 

    “How can something that felt so right suddenly feel so dirty and wrong?”, Jessica thinks drearily, “My little sister…” , Those same three words have been repeating in her head since yesterday.

 

    Jessica’s terrified that Krystal won’t talk to her ever again. The fact that she hasn’t gotten so much as a text from her just adds to that fear. It had crossed Jessica’s mind to at least text Tiffany to find out how things are going, but part of her doesn’t want to know.

 

    The fact that all of Krystal’s clothing and possessions are at her house is the only thing giving her solace. After all, if Krystal really is going to leave the state she’ll have to come get all of her belongings first.

 

    As soon as Jessica hears her phone vibrate she picks it up only to see that it’s a text from her mother rather than Krystal. Her parents want to come over and talk for a little bit, but Jessica’s not sure she can handle that. They’ll be asking all sorts of questions about why she hadn’t stuck around the day before.

 

    Probably her biggest worry is that she won’t be able to keep up a cheery facade while they’re over. Against her better judgment Jessica accepts. Despite everything, she still wants to spend some time with her mom and dad.




 

    Only minutes after her parents have walked out of her home, Jessica feels drained and helpless. She had thought that the odds of Krystal leaving New York were slim, but her parents proved otherwise. Apparently Krystal had already told them that she would be leaving. Jessica only has a couple days to change her mind, and that’s only if she can even get in contact with her.

 

    Jessica hears a knock on the door and goes to answer it thinking that her mom or dad must have forgotten something. Her jaw drops when she see’s Krystal.

 

    She looks as rough as Jessica feels, and she refuses to let their eyes meet, but Jessica’s still elated to see her.

 

    “Krystal.”, Jessica says her name with a wide grin, “You didn’t have to knock, you live here.”

 

    She ignores Jessica’s statement completely, “Can I come in?”, She asks emotionlessly.

 

    Jessica’s heart sinks and her smile quickly disappears, “Yeah.” She steps out of the way and is unnerved to see the wide berth that the younger girl gives her.

 

    Krystal doesn’t even sit before she starts speaking, “I’m going to stay with mom and dad for awhile.”, She says plainly.

 

    “I heard. I wish you would have told me sooner.”

 

    Her eyes remain planted on the ground, “I didn’t think it was that important.”

 

    Jessica’s stunned, “Not that important? Krystal, you’ve been a huge part of my life for the past year. Hell, you’ve been living with me. How is you moving across the country not important?”

 

    Krystal sighs, “You know that even if I did stay in the state, I wouldn’t be able to keep living with you. I want to get to know our parents better. I really want to be a part of this family.”

 

    A cynical chuckle leaves Jessica’s lips, “So, you just came here to tell me you’re leaving? That’s it? We have a lot to talk about, Krystal.”

 

    “What is there left to say? We didn’t know we’re related, but now we do. We need to just forget about everything that’s happened and learn to act like sisters instead.” Krystal says seriously, finally meeting Jessica’s gaze.

 

    “It can’t be that easy for you. I refuse to believe you’d be able to forget about our whole relationship just like that.”

 

    When she speaks, Krystal’s voice is wavering, “It’s not a matter of this being easy or not. We don’t have a choice.”

 

    Seeing Krystal struggling with her emotions hurts Jessica’s heart, “Baby… We do have a choice. You can stay here, stay with me. We’ll work through this and figure out a way to cover up our relationship.” She says gently.

 

    “Stop it. Quit saying things like that, and don’t call me baby. We can’t erase everything that happened before. But now that we know, we can’t keep this up. We weren’t meant to be together, Jessica. Not like how we have been any way. If we kept dating even after finding everything out… I don’t even want to think of what we’d be.”

 

    Jessica feels the burn of tears in the back of , “ ‘What we’d be’? We’d be happy, Krystal.” She scoffs, “I really can’t believe you. Up until a day ago I was so positive that I meant as much to you as you do to me. Obviously I was wrong.”

 

    “You’re so ing delusional!”, Krystal yells in anger before quickly closing the distance between them. Jessica feels hands land on her shoulders before they forcefully shove her back. Jessica stumbles, and it takes all of her coordination not to fall down.

 

    Tears are streaming down Krystal’s cheeks, “I care about you like you wouldn’t believe. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you. Letting all we have go is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do, especially like this. No matter how much it hurts we have to put an end to this. I think… I think we need some time to ourselves to get over our romantic relationship, and then we can focus on building a relationship as sisters.”

 

    Finally, Jessica’s seeing all of the hurt Krystal is feeling. She hates it even more than when she thought Krystal was going through this emotionlessly. She wants so badly to hold the younger girl in her arms, and it takes everything she has to resist the urge.

 

    With a calm tone Jessica asks, “Do you really think we’ll be able to see each other as just sisters?” The question is a sincere one.

 

    “God, I hope so. If I can’t have you as my girlfriend, I need to keep you in my life some way. I can’t lose you altogether.”

 

    Tears flow from Jessica’s eyes as she slowly comes to terms with the fact that there’s no way to persuade Krystal to stay with her. “How long will it take? How long until we don’t love each other any more?”

 

    “I’ll always love you. That love just has to change. I don’t know how long it’ll take.”

 

    “Can I at least call you?”

 

    “I think it’s best that we don’t talk for a few months. Maybe after that we can.” Krystal’s tone is apologetic.

 

    “If this is what you want, I guess there’s nothing else I can do.”

 

    Krystal gives her a weak smile, “I’m sure we’ll be able to spend plenty of time together as sisters once we both get ourselves sorted out.”

 

    Jessica’s not sure she’ll ever be able to give up her romantic feelings. Regardless she nods, “If that’s what you want.”

 

    “It’s what needs to happen. I’m just going to grab some of my clothes now, but I’ll be back later to pack up my other stuff.”

 

    Jessica watches Krystal walk to, what was once, their bedroom. She wants to completely breakdown, but she’s holding everything back. It’ll have to wait until Krystal leaves. She doesn’t want to show her how badly this whole situation is tearing her apart. The few tears she’s shed are barely a fraction of the tears she’s holding back.

 

    The only thing bringing her comfort is knowing that Krystal isn’t totally disgusted by her. Her freak out the day before had left Jessica worried that there would only be hostility between the two of them from then on.

 

    Though Krystal seems more at peace, Jessica still doesn’t like the path she has chosen to take. However there’s absolutely nothing she can do about it.




 

    In the crowded airport, Jessica gives each of her parents a tight hug; both of them saying their goodbyes. Krystal stands off to the side, watching silently.

 

    It’s only when their parents walk away that Jessica turns her attention to her little sister, “I’ll really miss you.”

 

    Krystal gives her a small smile, “I’m not leaving forever. We’ll see each other again.”

 

    Jessica sighs to herself. Of course they’ll see each other again, but it won’t be the same. Not even close. She plasters on a fake smile, “I have something for you.”

 

    Jessica pulls a prewritten check from her pocket and gives it to Krystal. The younger girl’s eyes widen in shock, “Jessica… That’s so much money… I can’t accept this.”

 

    “Yes you can. It’s a present from your big sister, to make up for all the Christmases and birthdays I’ve missed.” When Krystal still looks at her in awe Jessica continues, “I don’t want you to have to spend a bunch of time worrying about getting a job and all that when you first get to LA.”

 

    Krystal smiles at her and the sight makes Jessica’s heart flutter. “Thank you so much. I don’t really know what to say.”

 

    “You don’t have to say anything. Just spend it wisely.”

 

    Jessica’s whole body freezes when Krystal wraps her in a tight hug. It only takes a second for Jessica to hug back just as tightly. Tears fill her eyes; holding Krystal like this is just making her heart hurt even more. Her form and smell are so familiar and inherently comforting. Knowing that there’s no telling how long it’ll be until she’s able to experience them again makes Jessica squeeze harder.

 

    “I don’t want you to dwell on me, okay? Find someone else to fall for. You deserve to be happy.”, Krystal whispers in a wavering tone.

 

    Hearing that only makes Jessica’s tears fall faster. She’s positive she won’t be able to fall in love again. At least not with the intensity that she had fallen for Krystal.

 

    It takes all of Jessica’s will power to finally let Krystal go, “Text me when you’re ready for us to talk again, okay?”

 

    Krystal gives her a simple nod before starting to walk away. However she stops after only a couple of steps, “I love you.”

 

    Somehow those words both break Jessica’s heart and make her smile, “I love you, too.” Even with some distance between them she can see that Krystal is holding back tears. Without saying anything more, the younger girl turns around and walks away. Eventually disappearing into the crowd.