Meetings and Drinks

Constellate

          On Friday night Jessica finds herself wishing that she was home; an extremely rare occurrence. At the moment she’s at an upscale bar, schmoozing with her investors. It had began with a meeting consisting of 20 people, which had slimmed down to 15 when they decided to go out for dinner. Now at the bar it’s dwindled to just Jessica, Tiffany, and four of the investors.

 

         Usually the dinners, and after meal drinks that follow important meetings are something Jessica enjoys. There seemed to be no downside to getting out of the house and socializing all while impressing business partners. However tonight is different. She can’t help but feel guilty about both her and Tiffany being out while Krystal is stuck at Tiffany’s house alone. Also, had it not been for this business get together she could have spent time with Krystal.

 

         Jessica stares down into her empty glass with a bitter pout on her lips, “You can’t spend every weekend with her, you know that.” She thinks to herself.

 

         Jessica’s thoughts are interrupted when someone sits in the seat beside her. She turns to see one of her investors.

 

         “Miss. Jung, any reason why you’re over here by yourself?”, He asks with a charming smile.

 

         Jessica smiles back, “Please, it’s Jessica. And no particular reason.” She’s forcing herself to be pleasant despite how low she’s feeling.

 

         “In that case, you can call me Taecyeon. Care for another drink?”, He asks as he nods towards Jessica’s empty glass, “It’s on me.”

 

         “That sounds great. Thank you for the generosity.”, Jessica’s forced smile is getting harder to maintain as she realizes why Taecyeon even came over to her in the first place.

 

          He orders them both a drink and waits for them to arrive before continuing to speak, “I’m thrilled to be a part of your future business plans. Working with such a successful, beautiful, and powerful woman really is an honor.”

 

         Jessica has to fight back the urge to roll her eyes. If his intentions weren’t obvious before they sure are now. Regardless, she knows she has to keep up her polite demeanor, “Thank you. You have quite a reputation yourself. It’s good to have you on board.” She replies with hopes that how formal she’s speaking will deter him.

 

         However, her words only seem to encourage him, “No problem. Like I said it’s an honor to work with you. Anyway, we’ve been talking business all day, it’s getting tedious. I’d like to know more about you. Like how a man hasn’t put a ring on those gorgeous fingers yet.”

 

         “Yep. There is it.”, Jessica thinks. Normally she’d definitely be interested in him. Successful, attractive, charming; what’s not to like? But there’s already someone else she’s interested in.

 

         Jessica chuckles, “What can I say? I like being independent Mr. Ok.”

 

         He smiles wider, “As every woman should, but it doesn’t hurt to have a good man beside you.” He rests his hand over top of Jessica’s, “I’m in town for a few more days and I was hoping we could have dinner together. Maybe I could cook something for you? I’m an excellent chief.”

 

         Jessica moves her hand away from his, and in her most polite voice says, “I’m sorry, Taecyeon. Even though I’m not exactly taken I’m seeing someone already.”

 

         Though he continues to smile the disappointment on his face is evident, “Ah, I should have known. The good ones are never available.” He chuckles a little bitterly, “I think I should be on my way, then.”

 

         Jessica wants to say more to him, but she doesn’t have a chance to before he walks away. She sighs before finishing off the rest of her drink in just a few gulps.

 

         “Damn Jessica, slow down. What did that guy even say to you to make you chug that?”, Jessica hears a familiar voice ask.

 

         She turns to see Tiffany sitting down where Taecyeon had sat before. Jessica smiles, “Nothing really. Just asking me on a date. I turned him down. He’s definitely a charmer, but Krystal’s already won me over.”

 

         Tiffany chuckles, “That explains why he walked away looking like a sad puppy.” Tiffany pauses for a second, “Is there something wrong? You’ve been staying off by yourself every chance you get.”

 

         “I’m just ready to go home, you know?”

 

         Tiffany rubs her back, “Yeah, we’ve been out for awhile. You want to leave now? I think just about everyone we came here with has left.”

 

         Jessica glances at the clock that's on the wall which reads a quarter passed 11. She sighs, “Yeah, I’m ready to get out of here.”




 

         “Jessica, are you sure there isn’t anything else wrong?”, Tiffany asks once they’re in the car.

 

         Jessica let’s out a small laugh, “It sounds a little stupid, but I’ve just been thinking about Krystal. I’m not going to get a chance to see her this weekend.”

 

         Tiffany grins, “Awwww Jess, that’s so cute!”

 

         Jessica chuckles, “What? Cute?”

 

         “Yeah. You’ve been mopey just because you miss her.”

 

         “When you put it that way it makes me sound kind of pathetic.”

 

         Tiffany snorts, “Noooo. You’re just a 27 year old who’s been pouting like a kid all day.”

 

         Jessica slaps Tiffany’s arm, “C’mon now, I haven’t been that bad. It’s just… With everything today, and then having to do things tomorrow I won’t get to see her until next weekend.”

 

         “You’re adorable.”, Tiffany pauses for a moment before adding, “Why don’t you stay at my place tonight? You’d at least have some time to spend with Krystal.”

 

         Jessica huffs, “Don’t be stupid. I have to get up early tomorrow. Going to your place would just be too much of a hassle.”

 

         Tiffany gives Jessica a devious grin, “Buuuut if I drove straight to my house without dropping you off there wouldn’t be a thing you can do about it.”

 

         “Tiffany, don’t you dare. You know I have things I have to get done tomorrow.”, Jessica says sternly.

 

         “So I’ll just take you home in the morning. It’ll be fine.” Tiffany’s grin widens as she drives right passed Jessica’s home, “Oops. I missed your stop. Looks like you’re coming home with me.”

 

         Jessica growls in frustration, “Tiffany, I’m serious! Turn around and take me home right now!”

 

         “Nope. No turning back now.”, She glances at Jessica only to be met with a death glare, “Quit it, Jess. It’ll be fine. I’ll get you home early in the morning. Besides, Krystal will be glad to see you.”

 

         Jessica rolls her eyes, “It’s not like we’ll have much time to spend together, it’s already late. She’s probably asleep.”

 

         “I doubt it. That kid stays up until 1am most nights. Just stop staring daggers at me. You know you want to see her, so just relax.”

 

         “Of course I do but…”, Jessica sighs, “But I can’t do stuff like this all the time. Like, I have responsibilities, I own a company. I need to accept that there will be some times when I won’t be able to see her.”

 

          Tiffany looks at her sympathetically, “Yes, but you also need to live a little. I’ve seen how hard you work, and you need to relax. Obviously there will be times when you’re schedule is too packed to do anything not work related. But tonight isn’t one of those times. Take the chances you can, Jess. Have some fun.”

 

         Jessica still isn’t feeling 100% sure, but she nods. Heavy silence sets in until they arrive at Tiffany’s house.

 

         As they’re exiting the car Tiffany turns to Jessica with a small smile, “Act pissed at me all you want, Jessica. We both know you’re happy to have some time with Krystal. I know she’ll definitely be glad to see you.”

 

         Before Jessica has a chance to say anything Tiffany walks into her home, “Honey, I’m home!” She yells as she opens the door.

 

         “About time!”, Krystal yells from Tiffany’s couch, not bothering to turn her head away from the TV.

 

         “Oh, and this creep followed me home from the bar. I don’t know what her deal is.”, Tiffany says jokingly.

 

         Krystal turns to Tiffany with a confused look that quickly fades into a smile when she sees Jessica.

 

         Jessica can’t help but smile back, “More like I asked Tiffany to take me home, but instead she kidnapped me.” She sits a couple of feet away from Krystal on the couch, “Looks like I’m spending the night.”

 

         “You should feel special, Krystal”, Tiffany yells from the kitchen, “Tonight I watched Jessica turn down one of her handsome millionaire investors.”

 

         Krystal turns to Jessica with a look of disbelief, “Seriously?!”

 

         Jessica laughs, “Well I would have said yes to him, but there’s this beautiful girl I’ve been seeing recently.”

 

         Krystal gives her a playful push, “Stop being so cheesy.”

 

         Tiffany walks back into the living room with a glass of water in her hand, “I’ll put you some PJs in the bathroom, Jessi. I’m going to head to bed. Goodnight.”

 

         “Goodnight, Fany!”

 

         “Night!”, Once Tiffany has left the room, Jessica chuckles. “I don’t know why Tiffany was so insistent on me coming here. I need to get to bed soon, too.”

 

         “I’m glad you came over anyway. I missed you.”, Krystal says a little shyly, “Uh… so… could I kiss you?”

 

         The request is so sudden and random that it makes Jessica laugh. However she still looks at Krystal with an affectionate smile afterwards, “I’d love that.”

 

         With a featherlike touch, Krystal rests her hand on Jessica’s cheek and leans in. As Krystal gets closer Jessica closes her eyes and sighs. Not even a second afterwards Krystal’s lips are on her’s.

 

         It’s the same soft warmth and gentle pressure that Jessica has felt before. It’s a feeling that makes her heartbeat speed up immediately. However something’s a little different this time, and she can’t quite put her finger on what.

 

         It’s when Krystal starts moving her lips against Jessica’s instead of pulling away that it sinks in. This wasn’t intended to be a small peck on the lips.

 

         Flustered, it takes Jessica a moment to respond, but she does; kissing back just as softly and slowly. The feeling causes her heart to pound in her chest even harder.

 

         Krystal pulls away too soon for Jessica’s liking. But the look on Krystal’s face makes her smile nonetheless; bright pink cheeks bookending a dopey grin.

 

         “So uhm, I guess you should be getting to bed?”, Krystal asks.

 

         Jessica nods, “I should. Am I sleeping on the couch?” deep in her heart Jessica is hoping that Krystal will say they can share her bed.

 

         “I’m afraid so. It pulls out  into a bed though. I’d let you stay in mine with me but it’s only a twin.”, Krystal explains with a sad smile. I’ll get you a blanket and stuff”.

 

         While Krystal is gone Jessica changes into the sweatpants and loose shirt Tiffany had left out for her before going back to the living room and pulling out the bed from the couch.

 

         “I was going to help you.”, Krystal says as she throws a blanket and pillow onto the bed.

 

         Jessica smiles, “It’s fine.”

 

         There is a brief silence before Krystal continues speaking, “Uh, well, I guess this is goodnight then?”

 

         Jessica nods and steps forward; making her intent clear as she rests her hands on Krystal’s waist. Krystal smiles at her and Jessica returns the grin.

 

         “I’m sorry I couldn’t spend more time with you this week.” Jessica says before lifting a hand up to Krystal’s face and tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear, “I should have more free time next week.” She returns her hand to Krystal’s waist before giving the tip of the younger girl’s nose a quick kiss.

 

         Looking at the older girl with a wide grin; Krystal places her hands on Jessica’s shoulders, “We don’t have to be together every week. I understand, alright?” Jessica nods solemnly, without saying a word.

 

         They stand in silence for what feels like a long time; just looking at each other. Jessica moves her hands up and down Krystal’s waist ever so slightly. Quietly sighing as she savors the way Krystal’s svelte figure feels in her hands.

 

         In one slow but precise movement Jessica gives Krystal a short and sweet kiss, “I’ll see you in the morning, alright?”

 

         “Alright.”, Krystal says as she wraps Jessica in a tight hug. Smiles are exchanged once more before krystal walks to her room.

 

         With a faint smile, Jessica lies on the fold out bed; thankful that Tiffany had ignored her pleas to be taken home.




 

         “Jessica… Jessica…”

 

          The hushed voice draws Jessica out of her dreams, “Huh?”, She mumbles as she opens her eyes. In the dim light she can just barely make out Krystal, “Is something wrong?”

 

          Krystal bites at her bottom lip guiltily, “Kind of. I’m not really sleeping well tonight… Is it okay if I stay out here with you?”

 

         Jessica nods and lifts up her blanket for Krystal to crawl under. She situates herself a foot away from Jessica with a content sigh, “Thank you.”

 

         “Is there any reason you’re having problems getting to sleep?”

 

         “Just the same stuff. You know, nightmares.”

 

         Jessica nods before putting an arm around Krystal’s waist and scooting closer to her, “Can we sleep like this?”

 

         Krystal’s smile is visible even in the darkness, “Yeah. I’d really like that.” She moves even closer; putting an arm around Jessica and snuggling her face into the older girl’s neck.

 

         Jessica smiles and gives Krystal’s back a comforting , “Goodnight, Krystal.”


         “Goodnight.” Krystal says simply before letting out a satisfied breath against Jessica’s neck.