Big Steps

Constellate

 

    “Did you do this just to piss me off, Jess? Did you not even bother listening to anything I said?”, Tiffany says in a hushed but harsh tone.

 

    So much for going to a cafe and having a pleasant lunch.

 

    “I know you’re worried about me, but I care about her, really.”, It’s taking every ounce of Jessica self restraint to not lose her temper.

 

    “There’s more to relationships than just caring about someone, Jessica. Especially since you have a public reputation to uphold.”

 

    “The public doesn’t need to know. I haven’t had to announce who I’m dating anytime before.”

 

    Tiffany sighs in frustration, “And what if some journalist, or even an amature photographer, sees you hulling your drunken girlfriend out of a gutter somewhere? Dating someone so out of control and irresponsible hasn’t been an issue for you before.”

 

    Before Jessica can attempt to defend herself, Tiffany continues, “Aside from that, what’s dating someone like her going to do to you? Like I said, she's irresponsible. Knowing her for a few months has already had a negative effect on you. How much you drink, how you don’t take care of yourself…”

 

    “None of that has anything to do with Taeyeon.”, Jessica says defensively.

 

    “No, it has to do with Krystal, right? All you’ve been doing is wallowing in your own self pity since she left.”

 

    A shiver of anger runs through Jessica’s body, but she fights against it, “I was heartbroken. You can’t blame me for that. But I’ve moved on.”

 

    “Like hell you have!”, Tiffany yells, making everyone in the cafe turn their attention towards the two women.

 

    Tiffany takes in calming breath before speaking with a quiet tone that’s still filled with venom, “Krystal told me about what happened in California. How could you think about doing that Jessica?”

 

    “You’re acting like I forced her. I wasn’t even the one who initiated it, she was.”, Jessica hisses through clenched teeth.

 

    “You’re older than she is, Jessica, you should know better. She was hurt and confused as it is, and you only made it worse. Aside from that. She. Is. Your. Sister. You know it’s wrong.”

 

    Suddenly, Jessica can’t stand the sight of Tiffany’s face anymore. If she keeps sitting here going back and forth with her, she can easily see their quiet argument turning loud, or even turning physical. She stands from the table without a word, pays for lunch, and leaves.




 

    When Jessica walks into her apartment, she immediately smells food. It’s definitely a surprise considering that she lives alone. She quietly sneaks a peek into the kitchen to see Taeyeon at the stove.

 

    “Is that all for you? Or are you planning on sharing?”, Jessica asks teasingly.

 

    “It’s for both of us, of course.”

 

    “Not that I’m complaining, but is there any certain reason you’re here?”,Though Jessica had given a spare key to Taeyeon a long time ago, she’s never used it, until now apparently. In fact, Taeyeon has only ever been in her penthouse a handful of times.

 

    Taeyeon had made it clear that she prefers going to Jessica’s place rather than her own, but Jessica likes Taeyeon’s place better. It always felt strange to have Taeyeon in her home, and especially in her bed. Probably because she was so used to Krystal being there instead. But now that Taeyeon’s her girlfriend, she knows that she’s going to have to get used to it.

 

    “My apartment building is being fumigated.”, Taeyeon explains, “Sorry I didn’t text you about it. I thought surprising you with dinner would be nice.”

 

    Jessica smiles, “It is, thank you.” She walks over to the other woman and wraps her arms around waist while resting her head on her shoulder.

 

    “How was your day?”, Taeyeon asks.

 

    “It wasn’t anything special. How about yours?”

 

    “Stressful. My boss is back from vacation and being an again.”

 

    Jessica’s brow furrows. Although Taeyeon had said it so casually, she knows exactly what Taeyeon means. ual harassment. She had mentioned it to Jessica before, and of course she had pleaded with Taeyeon to quit and come work for her, but she wouldn’t hear of it.

 

    “You need to quit. I told you I could get you a job somewhere else. You can work for me if need be.”, She’d proposed the same thing to Taeyeon countless times, but her girlfriend’s stubbornness and pride kept her from accepting.

 

    Taeyeon chuckles, “There’s so many things wrong with that plan, Sica. You’re my girlfriend, you can’t be my boss. And if I quit now, it’ll be like I’m letting him win. I can’t let that bastard have the last laugh. Plus… he kind of owns my apartment complex, too. He’d probably evict me just because he can.”

 

    Feeling her anger rise, Jessica steps away from Taeyeon, “As long as I’m not in charge of your pay, it’s fine. You’ll be getting the last laugh because you’ll be getting away from that scumbag. And if…” Jessica pauses; does she really want to say what she’s thinking of saying?

 

    With a deep sigh, she continues, “If you want, you can live with me.”

 

    Taeyeon’s expression is absolutely dumbstruck, “Are… are you serious?”

 

    “Yes. Quit your job, move in with me, and we’ll get you a new job. It doesn’t have to be working for me. You can take your time to look around, alright?”, Jessica says with deep sincerity. It’ll be strange, possibly even difficult to have Taeyeon living with her, especially so soon into their relationship. But if that’s what it takes to get Taeyeon away from her demon of a boss, so be it.

 

    The main crux of this proposal is whether is going to drive Taeyeon away or not. It’s a miracle that she’s allowed Jessica to get this emotionally close to her, sharing the same living space might be too much for Taeyeon’s reclusive and closed off nature.

 

    “I… I don’t know. Do… do you really want me to live with you? Do you really want to have me invading your personal space that often?”

 

    Jessica smiles, “You wouldn’t be invading my personal space. I’m inviting you to move in, Tae.”

 

    Taeyeon smiles right back, “I think I like this idea then”

    

 

 

 

AN: A short chapter, but a chapter none the less. Just because I'm going to be skipping ahead in the next one.