Being Apart

Constellate

    Jessica groggily opens her eyes to see Krystal grinning at her.

 

    “Good morning.”, Jessica says with a chuckle, “Were you staring at me while I was sleeping?”

 

    “Maaayyybe.”

 

    “Creep.”, Jessica responds teasingly; scooting closer to Krystal to snuggle her face into the younger girl’s neck. As her mind goes back to last night a smile forms on her lips.

 

    It had been amazing, maybe even perfect. Not that there weren’t some rough spots. Krystal was obviously inexperienced and clumsy. But it was nothing a minute or two of teaching and guiding couldn’t fix. That and the sincerity behind all of Krystal’s touches had lead to something amazing. Physically, and emotionally.

 

    They both had such conviction behind their every movement. Jessica can’t recall the last time that had happened, or if it had happened at all. That thought once again brings up the topic of love.

 

    The thought had passed through her head last night. It was afterwards while Krystal was holding her as she was basking in her afterglow. She had looked into Krystal’s eyes and the phrase, “I love her.” had floated through Jessica’s mind. The thought was so sudden, but so clear. She had just chalked it up as her just being caught in the moment.

 

    She’s still convinced that what’s happening between them is something temporary. Though she doesn’t want it to be the truth, Jessica is almost positive they’ll be broken up in less than a year, with no feelings for each other left. Their relationship seems too ardent, too excessive, to be able to last. The “Live fast, die young” of relationships.

 

    “Jessica?”, Krystal asks, pulling her from her thoughts.

 

    “Hmm?” She hums as she lifts her head up.

 

    “I reeaaalllyy don’t want you to go. I’m not sure if I can stand being away from you for that long.”

 

    Jessica chuckles, “Well, I reeeaallly don’t want to go, but I have to. And three weeks without me won’t be so bad.” Krystal only grumbles, “Hush. It’s not like you’re going to die without me. I mean, you survived a good 22 years before I came along.”

 

    Krystal sighs deeply, “But that was before I knew you. Now that I have you, I don’t ever want to be without you again.”

 

    Her words cause Jessica’s skin to break out into goosebumps. Something about them really struck a chord in her. Her heart swells with affection, maybe even love.

 

    “Promise me you won’t leave me for some rich, classy, older lady while you’re away.”

 

    Jessica laughs, “You have nothing to worry about. Most of my business partners are married older men.”

 

    Krystal grins, “Don’t leave me for them either.”

 

    “Did you miss where I said that they’re married?”, Jessica says teasingly.

 

    “Maybe you’re a homewrecker.”

 

    Jessica pushes her playfully, “Aish, you should know me better than that. I can’t see myself leaving you for someone else.”

 

    “Will you promise that you won’t?”, Krystal says it with puppy dog eyes and a fake pout, but Jessica definitely senses genuine worry behind the playfulness.

 

    “I can’t promise that.” Jessica says with an apologetic smile.

 

    “What!?”, Krystal yells, sitting up and looking at Jessica incredulously.

 

    Jessica chuckles, “I’m not going to make promises like that. Things like, ‘I’ll never leave you’, or ‘We’ll never break up’. I don’t know what’s going to happen in the future, and I don’t want to make those promises to you only to break them later.”

 

    Krystal doesn’t respond. All Jessica gets is a pissed off glance and cold silence.

 

    Regardless, she smiles, “What I can say is I don’t see myself leaving you anytime soon. I care about you way too much for that. And I can promise that I’ll never cheat on you.”

 

    Though Krystal lets out a dramatic sigh she lies back down close to Jessica, “I guess that’ll suffice.”

 

    “It’s the best I can do.”, Jessica kisses her on the lips gently, “Although, I’m fairly certain no one I meet in Korea over the next three weeks is going to be suave enough to steal me away from you.” Krystal hums in acknowledgement.

 

    “I should be more worried about you.”, Jessica continues teasingly, “You’ll be surrounded by models the whole time I’m gone.”

 

    Krystal rolls her eyes, “Well yeah, but I don’t want anyone else. I think last night is proof of that.”

 

    Jessica wraps her arms around Krystal, pulling her even closer, “It is. You know it meant a lot to me too, right? Just because there have been people before you doesn’t-”

 

    Krystal cuts off her sentence with a chaste kiss, “Don’t worry, I know.”

 

    Jessica can’t fight the affectionate smile that forms on her lips.

 

    “I wonder what Tiffany would say if she knew.”, Krystal says with a mischievous smirk.

 

    “Don’t you dare tell her!”, Jessica says in genuine panic.

 

    Krystal laughs, “I won’t. I just wanted to see how you’d react. She’ll figure it out on her own eventually though. And when she does I don’t think she’ll be nearly as mad as you think she’ll be.”

 

    “Still, I’d rather not take any chances.”, Jessica pauses for a moment before adding, “Speaking of keeping things from Tiffany, have you told her that you are adopted yet?”

 

    “She knows.”, Krystal says with a sigh, “She’s always known. And… I mean… I can’t really be mad at her for keeping it from me. Hell, she acts like she doesn’t even care. She told me that I’m her little sister, and it doesn’t matter how I came into her life, just that I’m in it.”

 

    “And that bothers you?”

 

    Krystal chuckles, “A little bit. It makes me feel like I’m blowing this whole thing out of proportion.”

 

    “You’re not. Tiffany’s side of things is just… different. She has a different perspective of the situation.”

 

    “I guess…”, Krystal says drearily, “Dad still isn’t talking to me. Tiffany’s tried to reason with him, but that just ended with him being pissed at her, too.”

 

    “I wish I could do something to help.”, Jessica says sincerely.

 

    Krystal nudges her, “You’ve already helped me a lot, remember? You gave me a job, and you’ve definitely helped take my mind off of it. I don’t feel nearly as crushed about this whole mess. It’s still hurtful, but in a less urgent sense.”

 

    Jessica nods, “Have you thought any more about finding your birth parents?”

 

    “A little. I’m still unsure but I’m leaning towards finding them. I just don’t know where to start.”

 

    “You could hire a private investigator instead of trying to do it yourself.”, Jessica suggests, “It’d be a lot easier on you, and they’d have much more experience.”

 

    Krystal chuckles, “They’re also expensive.”

 

    Jessica gives her a bemused look, “Are you forgetting who you’re dating? I can give you the money for it if you’re really set on this.”

 

    “I don’t want to take your money.”

 

    Jessica smiles, “Krystal, it’s not like I’d be in debt if you let me pay for it instead. At least let me loan you the cash, or pay for part of the cost.”

 

    Krystal snuggles her face into Jessica’s neck, “I’m still not sure though.”

 

    “Well, if you do decide to find them I’ll do anything I can to help, okay?”

 

    Silently, Krystal nods.

 

 

 

 

    Outwardly she’s politely smiling and nodding, but internally Jessica is screaming. It’s only her fourth day in Seoul and she already wants to fly back home. Mostly because she can’t stand the constant business rhetoric. From the moment she’d landed in Korea she’d been swarmed with press, partners, and investors.

 

    She thought going to this exclusive opening party of an upscale art gallery would be her chance to relax, or at least think about something aside from business. But of course she had to run into one of the hopeful applicants looking to head the office in Seoul.

 

    The man in front of her is nice enough, charming even, with an impressive resume. But the fact that he’s interrupting her already scarce free time to up to her has made him one of her least favorite applicants.

 

    Jessica’s beyond thankful when, who she assumes to be, the man’s wife tells him that they need to be leaving soon. Once their goodbyes are exchanged she let’s out a relieved sigh before turning to focus on the piece of art that’s beside her.

 

    Maybe it’s because she’s far from being an art critic, but Jessica is struggling to understand pretty much all the paintings in the gallery. She can see the beauty in landscapes, portraits, and still lifes, but she’s having issues doing the same with the mess of paints that’s in front of her. She’s having an even bigger issue understanding the quarter of a million dollar price tag on it.

 

    Jessica takes a sip from her wine glass as she tries her damndest to analyze the dull earth-tone splashes of color with no shape.

 

    “Looks like something I would have made in kindergarten.”, She thinks passingly, “Only I wouldn’t have picked such ugly colors.”

 

    Jessica’s deep in thought, taking another drink from her glass when she hears a hushed voice beside her say, “If I knew you could make millions by barfing on a canvas I wouldn’t have even bothered going to college.”

 

    The sudden comment makes Jessica choke on her wine as she fights not to laugh. With a few coughs she finally pulls herself together; looking around to see if anyone else had noticed her. Luckily it seems like no one has, aside from the woman who had made the comment in the first place.

 

    “You alright?”, The woman asks with an amused smile.

 

    Jessica can’t help but think the woman is beautiful. Her makeup and hair are flawless. Her perfectly fitted white dress is obviously expensive, as are the diamonds on her necklace and earrings.

 

    She’s elegant, almost regal. The kind of woman Jessica would expect to see in such an upscale place, but definitely not the type she’d expect to say something like that.

 

    Jessica offers the woman a smile, “I’m fine.”

 

    “Please tell me it’s not just me, though. Tell me I’m not alone in thinking that most of these paintings belong in a dumpster.”, The woman says in a whisper.

 

    “Maybe not a dumpster. I was thinking more along the lines of being hung up in a kindergarten classroom.”

 

    “Either way, none of these paintings have any business costing more than a few cents.” The woman grins before saying, “My name’s Sunny, by the way.”

 

    Jessica smiles back, “I’m Jessica. So, what’s the point of coming here if you think the art’s trash?”

 

    Sunny holds up her glass of wine, “Free booze and appetizers. I could ask you the same question, why are you here?”

 

    “To get away from business dealings for a few hours.”, Jessica says honestly.

 

    “Business huh? What kind?”

 

    “Fashion. I’m just here for a few weeks while I get some things sorted out for a new store and office location.” Jessica explains.

 

    Sunny’s quiet for a second before asking, “So, Jessica? As in CEO Jessica Jung?”

 

    “That’s me. Please don’t tell me you’re looking to partner up or something, at least not right now. This is my first chance in days to get a break from business.” Jessica groans.

 

    Sunny chuckles, “Don’t worry, I’m not. I was just curious. So you’ll be in town for a few weeks?”

 

    Jessica nods, “All business with barely any breaks.”

 

    “Well, would you possibly want to exchange numbers? If you do get some free time I’d love to show you the town.”

 

    The question makes Jessica suspicious. Almost always someone asking that, even in a casual context, means they’re looking to get something from her. Usually to get an easy in into her company. However, Sunny’s genuine smile sets her at ease.

 

    “Sure.”, Jessica says as she reaches into her purse for her phone.

 

    Once they have each other’s numbers saved Sunny nods towards a table that’s in the center of the room, “I’m going back for more appetizers, want to come with me?”

 

    “Sounds good to me”, Jessica says without hesitation.

 

 

 

 

    Krystal is trying to focus on the movie Tiffany put on, but she’s failing miserably. She can’t stop herself from glancing at her phone.

 

    “Looking at your phone won’t make her call sooner.”, Tiffany says with a small smile.

 

    “I know…”, Krystal says quietly. She feels embarrassed by how she’s feeling and acting, yet she can’t seem to stop herself.

 

    It’s hard for her to believe that Jessica’s only been away for a week, it seems like so much longer than that. They’d only texted briefly three times since Jessica had left on Monday, and now it’s Sunday.

 

    “She’s a busy woman, Krystal. I’m sure she hates not being able to talk to you or see you like she normally does, too.”

 

    “I know…”, Krystal says again, “But she told me she didn’t have as much to do today. She said she’d call sometime after 8 and it’s already 10.”

 

    Tiffany ruffles Krystal’s hair, “What am I going to do with you, kid? You can’t be mopey like this until she comes back.”

 

    Krystal leans back with a sigh, “I’m not trying to be mopey. I just miss her. And it’s not like I’m mad at her or anything… I know she has a lot to do. It just… . She doesn’t go away like this much, does she?”

 

    “It’s a rarity.”, Tiffany says as she gives Krystal’s shoulder a reassuring pat, “Just do me a favor, alright? Don’t hassle her about not calling you, or texting, or things like that. I’m sure she’s stressed as it is. She doesn’t need you accusing her of cheating or something.”

 

    Krystal furrows her brow, “I wasn’t going to do that. We have a mature and trusting relationship.”

 

    Tiffany scoffs, “Is that so? You sure seemed bent out of shape about her talking to that male model a while ago.”

 

    “Hey, I wasn’t that jealous. I was just…”

    

    Tiffany grins, “You were just what?”

 

    “So maybe I was a little jealous. But I knew she wasn’t going to cheat on me. Besides, you’re the one that made a big deal out of it.”

 

    “What can I say? I know Jessica is loyal to a fault, but I wanted to look out for you.”

 

    Krystal rolls her eyes, “You don’t have to. Our relationship is perfect. Even if I am annoyed about us being on different continents at the moment. It’s not that big of a deal, it’s just obnoxious.”

 

    When Krystal feels her phone vibrate an immediate grin forms on her lips, before melting into a frown as soon as she looks at the screen.

 

    “Bad news?”, Tiffany asks.

 

    “Not bad just…”, She sighs before leaning back on the couch, “Jessica says she’s out with a friend and can’t call right now.”

 

    Tiffany’s silent for a few seconds before responding, “Maybe this is a good thing. Absence makes the heart grow fonder or something like that. Think of how happy you’ll be when she’s back.”

 

    “That’s too far away…” She grumbles.

 

    Tiffany rolls her eyes, “You’re pitiful, kid.” Heavy silence sets in for a minute before Tiffany breaks it, “So, do you think you’ve fallen for her.”

 

    With a hum of consideration Krystal meets Tiffany’s eyes, “I don’t really have any past experience with love to know.”

 

    Tiffany elbows her with a smile, “C’mon. You know your feelings better than anyone else, experience or not.”

 

    The last night her and Jessica spent together comes to mind. She recalls looking into Jessica’s eyes and feeling a stronger driving force beyond her lust. Of course her heart had swelled with that same feeling before, but being in that situation made it feel so much more evident. Trusting Jessica, and Jessica trusting her. All of the shared gentle touches, and even the fervent, rough, ones. There was some sort of strong emotion behind everything.

 

    Even the actual decision to go further with Jessica hadn’t been arbitrary. Though Krystal admits that since her late teen years her hormones have been hell to keep at bay. She wanted to wait until she found the right girl. Maybe not someone she’d be together forever with, that seemed a bit unrealistic. But someone she knew she could trust; someone she loved. Jessica had never pressured her, or even brought the subject up. She actually seemed to be avoiding it until Krystal herself said something about it.

 

    Which all leaves only one explanation as to why she had wanted Jessica to be her first: she loves her.

 

    Krystal smiles, “I’m pretty sure I’m in love with her. but I haven’t said anything to Jessica about it yet.”

 

    Tiffany chuckles, “Ah, my little sister’s in love. When she comes back you should tell her. I’m positive the feeling is mutual.”

 

    “I know she really cares about me. But I don’t know if she’s ready for me to say ‘I love you’ and for her to say it back. She seems like the type to be super cautious with everything. I imagine love isn’t any different.”

 

    “You really do have Jessica all figured out.”, Tiffany says with a grin, “I think she’s just waiting for you to say it first. You’ve never had a relationship like this before, she probably doesn’t want to scare you away by saying it before you do.”

 

    “Well I don’t want to scare her away. I don’t want to say it too soon and have her thinking I’m some delusional kid with no concept of what love is. Or that I just toss ‘I love yous’ around like they don’t matter.” Krystal explains.

 

    “Aish. You’ve been spending too much time with Jessica. You’re starting to sound like her. Always overthinking everything. If you love her, then tell her. It’s that simple.”

 

    Krystal sighs in annoyance, but smiles nonetheless, “Maybe when she comes back home.” She pauses for a moment before adding, “Should I do something special for her when she gets back?”

 

    “Like what?”

 

    The thought of making love to Jessica flashes through her mind, leaving Krystal flustered, “Uhm… uh, I don’t know. Get her some flowers or something?”

 

    Tiffany snorts, “That’s cheesy. I’m sure just seeing you will be enough for her.” She stands from the couch, “I’m going to get ready for bed. Don’t stay up too late, alright?”

 

    “Okay. Goodnight, Fany.”

 

    “Night, kiddo.”

 

    Krystal lies down on the couch and glances at the long forgotten movie that’s still on TV. She’s not even sure what it’s about, and doesn’t really care. However she’s also too lazy to turn it off and put something else on. Her eyes stare at the screen as her brain goes elsewhere.