Meet the Parents

Constellate

    Jessica steps into her penthouse with a smile on her face. Regardless of how amazing this past week has been it’s good to be back in her own home.

 

    It had been Jessica’s idea to go on vacation for her and Krystal’s one year anniversary and Krystal hadn’t protested. They had spent a week far away from home and work in Hawaii. Jessica had went there before, but it felt so much better with Krystal beside her.

 

    Not that the time they have to spend together in their daily lives is scarce. Especially not within the last two months since Krystal has been living with Jessica. But even then there was always work, stress, and things around the house to worry about. They had actually planned to stay longer, but Krystal had received a call she’d been waiting on for months. The investigator she had hired finally managed to find and get in contact with her parents.

 

    Ever since that call, Jessica can clearly see that Krystal is on edge and anxious. However, from what the investigator has revealed, there’s nothing to worry about. Evidently her birth parents were ecstatic that Krystal had gone looking for them. The investigator had said they insisted on meeting Krystal in person and talking everything over then. Hell, he wouldn’t even tell her their names, but he did say they were fairly wealthy, had spotless criminal backgrounds, and that they seemed like very nice people overall.

 

    Despite all of the reassurance, Jessica knows that Krystal won’t calm down until she finally gets to meet them and hear their reasons for putting her up for adoption. If everything goes smoothly, that’ll happen sometime this week. According to the investigator, her parents are currently preparing to fly to New York from Los Angeles, and he is going to keep Krystal informed, as well as set up a place for them to meet.

 

    Jessica would be lying if she said she wasn’t nervous, too. After all, these people are her future in-laws. Not to mention that whatever they say to Krystal will definitely have a lasting effect on her. She has been essentially parentless for over a year and Jessica knows how badly she wants to finally feel like she has a family again.




 

    Fresh out of the shower, Jessica walks into her and Krystal’s bedroom and is immediately ambushed by the younger girl.

 

    “Jessica, they’re coming tomorrow!”, Krystal yells; grabbing her girlfriend’s shoulders.

 

    It takes her a moment, but Jessica finally processes what Krystal is talking about. Her wide eyes, and anxious expression give it away.

 

    “Your parents?”

 

    Krystal nods, “I’ll get to meet them tomorrow morning.”

 

    The look on Krystal’s face reflects the same emotions Jessica has seen from her since she first started searching for her biological parents; fear and excitement.

 

    “Do you want me to go with you?”, Jessica asks genuinely.

 

    “No. I think I should meet them by myself first. But I’ll probably end up calling you.” Krystal sighs deeply and grins, “It’s finally happening, Jessi.”

 

    Jessica smiles back as she wipes a few happy tears from Krystal’s eyes, “It is. I’m really happy for you.”

 

    She hugs Jessica tightly, “I don’t know if I’ll be able to get to sleep tonight.”

 

    A low chuckle leaves Jessica’s lips, “I know something that’ll help you sleep.” The statement is accompanied by fingertips lightly running down Krystal’s spine.

 

    Krystal shivers but still shrugs off Jessica’s hand, “Stop it. I can’t think about anything besides my parents right now, and I definitely don’t what to have family on my mind while we’re doing that.”

 

    Jessica sighs in defeat, “Alright. But you do need to at least try to get some rest. If you stay up all night you’ll be a mess tomorrow.”

 

    “Trust me, I know. Come on, let’s get in bed so I can try to fall asleep.”

 

    After giving Krystal a soft kiss on the lips Jessica smiles, “Of course.”




 

    When Jessica walks into the kitchen she’s not surprised to see Krystal leaning against the counter chugging down a mug of coffee. She had felt the younger girl tossing and turning all night, so much so that even Jessica herself had a hard time sleeping.

 

    “Any word from the investigator yet?”, Jessica asks as she walks towards Krystal.

 

    “They’re in town. He said he’d call me when they’re ready to meet.”, She says expressionlessly.

 

    Jessica knows that the lack of outward emotions can only mean that Krystal is dealing with a lot of emotional chaos inwardly. Despite knowing that the meeting will probably go well, this whole situation is still worrying Jessica.

 

    “Are you sure you don’t want me to go with you? It wouldn’t be a problem, really. I mean, I’m still supposed to be on vacation anyway so-”

 

    Krystal cuts her off, “No. It’s fine. I should meet them by myself.” She sighs before giving Jessica a strained smile, “Thank you, though.” She sits her mug down and wraps her arms around Jessica’s waist; resting her head on the older girl’s shoulder as well.

 

    “You’ve been so great about supporting me through this mess. I love you.”

 

    Jessica her girlfriend’s hair comfortingly, “Of course. I’ll always be here for you. I love you, too.”

 

    Krystal hums in acknowledgement before pressing their lips together. The small peck turns into something passionate and heated, but still slow and gentle, in less than a minute. The hands that were once on Jessica’s waist start to slide downwards.

 

    Jessica chuckles as she pulls away, “Hey, none of that. I need to go to work.”

 

    Krystal groans kiddishly, “Fiiine.”

 

    “Don’t be afraid to text or call me, okay? I should just be in the office today. I want to know how everything goes.”, After a final kiss Jessica steps away, “I love you.”

 

    Krystal smiles, “I love you, too. Have a good day.”




 

    Jessica knows that she’s not going to get anything done today. Not with how antsy she is. Her eyes keep darting from the papers she’s supposed to be looking over to her phone. It’s only been an hour since she left home, and the logical part of her brain knows that Krystal is probably still there. Yet, she can’t help but be nervous.

 

    She’s worried about Krystal and how this meeting will effect her. Jessica had been so sure that only good things would come of it, but today she’s having doubts. At some point during the night her outlook had quickly turned from optimistic to terrified.

 

    Krystal’s parents are supposedly excited to meet with their daughter after so long, so it’s not like they are going to berate her. The investigator Krystal hired is going to be there watching over the meeting, and it’s going to be in a public place, so Jessica’s positive they aren’t going to kidnap Krystal or something like that. Krystal’s parents are also supposed to be outstanding citizens. Still Jessica’s scared and she’s not really sure what exactly she’s scared of.

 

    Jessica’s heart pounds in her chest when she hears her phone vibrate. She frowns when she sees that it’s only a text from her mom. However a smile quickly forms in it’s place when she sees that it says both her mom and dad are in town and want to meet up for lunch.

 

    It’s definitely a surprise, normally meeting with them involves months of planning in advance. For them to just show up in New York without warming is unheard of. However, Jessica’s not complaining. It’s been over a year since she’s seen them. All three of them always seemed to have busy schedules.

 

    She texts back a quick response before putting her phone down and leaning back in her chair; her smile never leaving her lips. This could be the time to finally introduce them to Krystal. She had planned on waiting until Christmas later this year, but since they’re already here, what’s the point of waiting?

 

    Jessica had held off on introducing them to Krystal, or even telling them that she is seeing someone. Despite the fact that they are supportive of her uality, Jessica knows they both would rather see her dating a man than a woman. She’s afraid of them being disappointed and not liking Krystal because of that. Jessica had also been waiting until she knew that her and Krystal would stay together. But now that they’ve been dating for over a year, she thinks it’s finally time for her parents and her girlfriend to meet.

 

    Suddenly Jessica remembers that Krystal is finally meeting with her own parents today. Reluctantly she decides that waiting until Christmas like she had originally planned would be better. No need to overwhelm Krystal with meeting so many new people in one day.

 

    Now that her mind has returned to the topic of Krystal’s biological parents her momentarily forgotten anxiety comes flooding back. Once again she tries to focus on the paper that’s in front of her. However, her eyes keep wandering to her phone.




 

    By noon Jessica has yet to hear anything from Krystal. She’s more than a little concerned, but she also doesn’t want to ruin the reunion between Krystal and her parents by calling. Aside from that, Jessica’s own parents are waiting for her.

 

    When Jessica steps into the upscale restaurant a waitress ushers her to a booth. Jessica smiles when she sees her parents sitting side by side, but there is also someone sitting across from them. She can only see the top of the back of their head, and she’s clueless as to why her parents would invite someone else to lunch with them.

 

    Before Jessica can get to the booth and see who’s with them both of her parents shoot up out of their seats and hug her.

 

    “Honey! We missed you so much! It’s been such a long time!”, Her mom says as she squeezes her tight.

 

    When they release her, Jessica’s father smiles, “We have a surprise for you. It’s going to be a bit of a shock at first, but please let us explain, okay sweetie?”

 

    Now Jessica’s more nervous than she has been all day. What could they possibly surprise her with that’s going to be shocking? It must have something to do with the person who is still in the booth.

 

    Regardless, Jessica allows her parents to lead her to the booth and when she sees who’s in it her brain runs a million miles a minute trying to come up with some sort of explanation.

 

    “Krystal? Why is she with my parents? She’s supposed to be meeting her own. They couldn’t have ran into each other and recognized one another. My parents don’t even know about Krystal.” Jessica thinks as she stares at her girlfriend who looks just as confused as Jessica feels.

 

    Jessica’s father’s voice interrupts her rushed thoughts, “Jessica, honey, this is your little sister, Krystal.”

 

    Reality freezes as Jessica’s world falls out from underneath her. She couldn’t have heard that right. She’s been an only child her whole life, there’s no way she could have a sister. And there’s definitely no way that if she did have a sister it would be Krystal.

 

    “Little sister…”, Jessica thinks in disbelief. “No… That doesn’t make sense.”

 

    “I know this is shocking.”, Jessica’s mom says, though her voice sounds far off as Jessica’s brain struggles to process the situation, “Remember when you were about 4 or 5 and money was tight for us? I got pregnant with Krystal. There really wasn’t anything we could do but give her up for adoption. We didn’t want you to know.”

 

    Jessica’s father offers her an understanding smile, “You remember when your mom went away for a little bit? I told you it was because she was visiting your grandma and grandpa in Korea, and she was. But she was there so that you wouldn’t know what was happening. We’re so sorry that we kept this from you for so long. Krystal came looking of us though. She understands and wants us to finally be a family, and we want that, too. If you’re angry about this, be angry at us. Not her.”

 

    Jessica’s mom looks at her hopefully, “When you were little you always said you wanted a sister. We really want you two to get to know each other and bond. Krystal was really excited when she heard that she had a big sister that lives close by.”

 

    Krystal’s eyes stare at Jessica blankly, and Jessica stares back. “Sisters…” Jessica’s mind keeps repeating the word over and over again. Even with an explanation it still doesn’t make sense. It can’t be true. What are the odds that they would end up not just finding each other, but falling in love?

 

    Jessica’s mind is taken over with images of everything they’ve done together. Krystal’s shyness when they had first met, their first date, the first time she had woken up with Krystal in her arms, and their first kiss. There is also all the times they have made love. Even the sweet but sensual kiss they had shared this morning.

 

    “My little sister…” Jessica thinks as tears fill her eyes. “I’ve spent over a year dating my little sister…”

 

    Suddenly she sees Krystal jump out of the booth and sprint to the bathroom.

 

    “Oh my…”, Jessica’s mom gasps, “Jessica… I know this is difficult…”

 

    “No.”, Jessica says as she forces a fake smile, “It’s… it’s not difficult, just surprising.” She lies outright, “I promise I’m not mad or anything. We uh… we know each other. She works for me.”

 

    “Are you two friends?”, Her father asks.

 

    “No. Not really. She’s just an employee. I’ll go talk to her.”, As soon as Jessica is turned away from them her smile drops, and tears stream down her face. “This can’t be happening.” She whispers to herself.

 

    Despite her entire world taking a turn, Jessica’s first instinct is to care for Krystal. No matter what they are, or what’s happened between them, she needs to comfort Krystal before she worries about anything else.

 

    The first thing Jessica hears when she enters the bathroom is the distinct sound of puking. Quickly she rushes to the stall it’s coming from, only to see Krystal on her knees in front of the toilet. Jessica kneels down beside her and rubs her back.

 

    “Hey…”, Jessica whispers soothingly, “Are you okay?”

 

    “Stop touching me.”, Krystal growls out without even looking at her.

 

    The venom in Krystal’s voice hurts, but Jessica obeys, “I know this is awful, but we’ll figure something out, okay?”

 

    Krystal chuckles cynically, “What do you mean ‘figure something out’? What is there to figure out? For the past year I’ve been ing my sister.” As soon as the words leave her lips she starts to retch again.

 

    Jessica’s blood runs cold. The bitter tone in Krystal’s voice is something Jessica’s never heard from her. That combined with with her harsh language make Jessica uneasy.

 

    As soon as Krystal’s gagging stops, Jessica speaks, “Look, this is obviously a huge mess, but we had no way of knowing. We’ve already been together for this long, and the damage has been done. Krystal, I love you. I love you more than I’ve ever loved anyone. I can’t change that we’re sisters, but I also can’t stop being in love with you. I want to stay with you, and if that means lying to our parents for decades to come, I’m willing to do that.”

 

    Finally, Krystal looks at her. The unfamiliar gall on the younger girl’s face makes Jessica shiver, “You’re sick.” Krystal spits in disgust, “Why would you even think that’s an option?”

 

    Jessica feels like she’s looking at an entirely different person. The girl in front of her is nothing like the warm, goofy, and good natured girl she loves. However Jessica doesn’t falter, “After the time we’ve spent together? After everything we’ve done? Everything I feel for you? How is stopping an option?”

 

    “Get out.”, Krystal says through clenched teeth.

 

    “Krystal, will you please just-”

 

    “Get out!”, She yells.

 

    Though she doesn’t want to, Jessica stands and exits the bathroom. More tears are running down her face.

 

    “Honey, is everything okay?”, Jessica’s mom asks her panickedly.

 

    Even though everything is far from okay, Jessica nods, “She just needs some time. I think we both do. I’m going to head back to work.”

 

    Before her parents can protest, Jessica walks away.

 

 

 

 

 

AN: I had originally planned for this chapter to be a fluffy one of jungsis on vacation. Ya know, something nice and sweet before things get real. But that just ended up as lackluster bits and pieces that I wasn't really happy with. So instead we're heading straight into the angst.

As always thanks for reading, subbing, and giving feedback!