Making Plans

Constellate

         Tiffany had begged and pleaded to Jessica on Monday; it’s now Wednesday. Currently it’s 3pm and Jessica is in her office doodling nonstop in her sketch book as she comes up with ideas to send to her consulting team. She only takes small breaks in her drawing to write notes off to the side.

 

         A knock on her door followed by the sound of it opening is what finally breaks her concentration. She looks up fully ready to yell at whoever disturbed her only to smile instead. Walking through her door is Tiffany hand in hand with a girl Jessica recognizes as Krystal.

 

         As she walks closer, Tiffany notices the open sketch pad on the desk, “Oh, I’m sorry if we interrupted you, Jess. We could come back later if-”

 

         Jessica stands from her desk with a smile, “Don’t worry about it. I’ve got some time.” She says as she comes out from behind the desk.

 

         Tiffany grins, “Awesome. I wanted to introduce you to Krystal. I know she won’t be working until next week, but she wanted to come in and tell you thank you.”

 

         Krystal smiles at Jessica genuinely, “Thank you for everything, Miss. Jung. It’s nice to finally meet you.” Krystal holds out her hand for Jessica to shake.

 

         Jessica can’t help but admire Krystal. She looked so chic and cold in her pictures. Yet the Krystal she’s seeing in front of her right now seems a bit shy, maybe even kiddish. Not to mention that smile; it’s beyond heart melting.

 

         As Jessica takes Krystal’s hand into her own a thought crosses her mind that she knows is foolish. It’s the sudden want to, instead of shaking Krystal’s hand, bring it up to her lips and kiss it. Jessica, of course, ignores the thought. Instead she gives Krystal her typical business like handshake.

 

         As she retracts her hand Jessica says, “I know I’m your boss, but please, call me Jessica. And if anyone asks, you waited 6 months to be hired.” Though she says it through a smile, it’s obvious that she’s serious.

 

         Krystal nods, “Of course.” There’s a short silence where Tiffany glances at Krystal and gently elbows her. Krystal looks confused for a moment before realization lights up in her eyes, “Oh, uh, Miss. Ju- Uhm, I mean Jessica, I wanted to know if I could take you out to dinner sometime this week as a thank you.”

 

         Jessica smiles widely, “I think that sounds wonderful. Did you have a day or time in mind?”

 

         Almost childishly, Krystal shakes her head.

    

         Jessica chuckles, “How about Friday at 7 then?”

 

         Krystal smiles, “I think that sounds good.” Once again there’s silence and again Tiffany elbows Krystal, “Uh, could we exchange phone numbers so we can decide on a place later?” The shy, nervous tone in Krystal’s voice is evident.

 

         It’s obvious to Jessica that something is going on here besides just being invited to a thank you dinner. Regardless she agrees; grabbing a post-it note from her desk and quickly jotting her personal cell number on it. “Here’s mine.” She says as she hands the note to Krystal. “Text me later so I’ll have your number.” She tries to say it in a formal manner, but it still comes out sounding more like she’s trying pick up a girl.

 

         Krystal looks at the floor as she takes the note. She stares at the paper for a few seconds; almost as if making sure it’s real before putting it in the pocket of her black slacks and smiling.

 

         Whether she means to or not, Jessica finds herself smiling back, “I’m looking forward to dinner Friday.”

 

         The blush that forms on Krystal’s cheeks is immediate and unmistakable. It definitely solidifies Jessica’s suspicions that her newest model has a crush on her.

 

         Regardless of the blush, Krystal speaks professionally, “I am, too. Thank you again for this opportunity. I’ll work hard, you have my word.”

 

         Jessica nods, “Don’t mention it.”

 

         “We should go now. Sorry about barging in and all that.”, Tiffany says smiling. She once again takes Krystal’s hand and turns to leave.

 

         However, Jessica stops her, “Actually, Tiffany, I need to have a word alone with you for a second. Krystal, if you would, please take a seat in the waiting room outside. It won’t be but a few minutes.”

 

         Seeming a little scared to part from her sister, Krystal nods and exits the room. Once the door is shut Tiffany steps closer to Jessica, “What did you need? Me to look over your designs?”

 

         Jessica smiles, “No. But I do need you to tell me what in the world you’re up to.”

 

         Suddenly Tiffany’s professional exterior melts into obvious nervousness, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She says with a forced smile.

 

         Jessica rolls her eyes, “I’m positive you do know. It was pretty obvious that you were pushing your sister to invite me to dinner.”

 

         Tiffany sighs, “Fine. Okay, so maaaayyybbbe, just maybe, I told Krystal about what a wonderful, talented, polite, romantic, single, biual person you are. However, this was all said after she saw a picture of you and commented on how gorgeous she thinks you are.”

 

         Jessica gawks at Tiffany, “You’re trying to set me up with your sister?” Though she’s surprised, she can’t help but feel a little flattered.

 

         “Well I mean… maybe. But don’t for a second act like you hate the idea! I saw that huge grin and heard that ‘I’m looking forward to dinner’. You’re definitely not opposed to it” Tiffany says.

 

         Jessica rolls her eyes, “She’s a pretty girl who seems to have a cute personality, what more do you want from me?” Tiffany looks at her smugly, but Jessica continues, “However, she’s also five years younger than me, she’s my employee, not to mention my best friend’s little sisters. Like, why do you even want this to happen?”

 

         “First of all five years isn’t that big of a difference when you’re talking about someone who’s 22 and someone who’s 27. And sure she’s your employee, but you have a totally different department for the models. Last time I checked everything that involves them from scheduling to pay is set up by someone else. And why wouldn’t I want my sister to date you? I’ve known you for a year and in that time I’ve learned that you’re pretty much A plus girlfriend material. Like, do I want my baby sister to date my friend who I know will treat her well, or some rando who might be bad to her? You see my reasoning here?” Tiffany says with crossed arms.

 

         A long sigh escapes Jessica, “I still don’t think this will work out.”

 

         Tiffany smiles at her, “Just give it a shot. You’ve made it obvious that you think she’s attractive, and I can promise you she has a great personality.”

 

         Jessica looks at Tiffany seriously, “You know I purposely don’t date because I barely have the time to. I don’t want to start to care about someone and then hurt them because I’m busy.”

 

         “I know, I know. You’ve told me this already. Your last relationship went up in flames because you couldn’t find the time to be with him. But listen, that was three years ago. Even with just being your friend for a year I can see you manage time better than when I first met you. That was also a long distance relationship. Krystal is going to be in town. Hell, she’ll even be in the same building a lot of the time. Just give this a chance. If it doesn’t work out, then whatever.”

 

         Jessica stares at Tiffany for a long time before finally giving in, “Alright. I’ll give this a shot. But if things don’t work out, don’t get pissed at me.”

 

         Tiffany grins, “No problem, Jessi.” With that Tiffany walks out and Jessica is left feeling both excited and reluctant.




 

         At 9pm Jessica ascends the elevator to the penthouse that tops her place of work; the place she calls home.

 

         Once there she unlocks the door and walks in. Of course the place is spotless; kept tidy by a housekeeper. The neatness never ceases to annoy Jessica. For some reason it just makes the large space seem even more empty. As she walks through the too spacious living room, Jessica leaves her laptop bag in the middle of the floor. Soon afterwards her clothes join the bag on the floor; making a trail to the bathroom. She does this almost every night, just to fill up even a little of the empty space. Regardless of the knowledge that she’ll just have to pick them up later.

 

         Jessica’s bathroom is large and modern; just the shower alone is big enough for three people. Though it’s never contained more than one. She showers quickly, and afterwards wraps her hair in a towel, and her body in bathrobe. She walks back into the living room to retreive her bag, but doesn’t bother picking up her clothes.

 

         Jessica makes her way to her bedroom and lies on her too big, and too empty California king sized bed. She could almost hate her past self for choosing this bed instead of a reasonably sized one. At the time she had chose this one purely because she could.

 

         Most people find comfort in their beds. Jessica however, hates her’s. It’s just another reminder of how lonely she is. There’s only been a few times when someone else’s body has lied beside her in it. But they were just meaningless one night stands; something Jessica doesn’t especially like having. Though she doesn’t judge others who often partake in them, just sleeping with someone never fulfills her. Just satisfying her lust never feels like enough.

 

         More than once Jessica has thought of at least getting a large dog. Something cuddly, fluffy, and loving that’s over 100lbs. But she knows she could never properly care for a dog. She can barely care for her fish. She’s forgotten to feed them way more than once.

 

          Jessica fights off the urge to cry by reaching into her laptop bag and getting her cell phone in hopes of distracting herself. She’s surprised to see a text from a number she doesn’t have saved. But upon reading it she smiles.




“Miss. Jung, this is Krystal Hwang. I’m sorry I’m writing you so late, but Tiffany said this is about the time you’d be getting home.”


 

 

 

         How formal the message is makes Jessica chuckle to herself. From the caps and punctuation, to Krystal insisting on calling her Miss. Jung.




 

“You’re fine. You caught me at a good time actually. Did you want to discuss where we’ll be going to eat?”




 

         Jessica replies in the same manner. No need to appear overeager. Though she hates to admit it, a part of her is eager. Especially after reminding herself of how lonely she is.


 

 

 

“Yes. I’m very unfamiliar with the restaurants around here. Do you maybe have a

Recommendation?”




 

“Well, it just depends on what you like. I’m not too picky when it comes to food. Let me give you a few options.”




 

         Jessica proceeds to list seven different restaurants, what kind of food they serve, and what kind of atmosphere they have. It’s a lot to type out, but she doesn’t mind. Somehow just typing to Krystal feels good.




 

“I think the third one you listed sounds good. So did you just want to meet there, or did you want to ride there together?”




 

         It’s a simple question, but it’s one that Jessica has to mull over. Going there together would give them a little extra time to get to know each other. But it’s more likely that it’ll just end up being awkward silence.




 

“I’d prefer if we met there. I’m assuming Tiffany would be bringing you? If that’s the case I can take you back home afterwards.”




 

         It sounds like a weird proposal, even to Jessica. But she figures that after they’ve had time to talk over dinner keeping up a conversation will be much easier.




 

“I think that sounds lovely. I’ll let you get to sleep now, Miss. Jung. I’ll see you Friday at 7.”


 

         Jessica smiles her screen. “Still with the Miss. Jung thing.”, Jessica thinks.




 

“Please call me Jessica. I’m looking forward to seeing you, Krystal.”




 

         As she turns off her phone, Jessica smiles. Truth be told, she’s more than looking forward to Friday. It’ll be her first date in over a year. Well, maybe it’s not technically a date, but it’s damn close.

 

         Just as Jessica’s standing up to go change into her pajamas she hears her phone vibrate on the night stand. She glances at the screen hoping that maybe Krystal has more to talk to her about, only to see that it’s a text from Tiffany.




 

“Jessi, I wish you could see Krystal spazzing over here. It’s passed 11 and this kid is seriously rummaging through my closet for an outfit to impress you with”




 

         Jessica’s grinning so widely that it almost hurts. Feeling too giddy to actually write a text back, she just sends Tiffany a laughing emoji. Truthfully, Jessica feels good. Even after barely a day of actually having some sort of romantic interest her heart feels lighter, and the future seems a little brighter.