Adjusting

Constellate

    “Goodnight, love you guys.”, Jessica says as she hugs each of her parents.

 

    “Remember to set your alarm for 8. We want to spend as much time with you as possible while you're here.”, Her mother says seriously.

 

    Jessica smiles, “I will. Goodnight.”

 

    With one final hug, Jessica walks to Krystal’s bedroom. The younger girl had went to bed at least an hour ago. Jessica had taken her time to get ready for bed, and had then stalled for more time by talking to her parents. All in hopes that Krystal will be fast asleep by the time she walks into the room.

 

    Obviously, sleeping next to Krystal isn’t exactly going to be relaxing, but Jessica figures that things won’t be as awkward without having to say goodnight to each other while in the same bed.

 

    It’s strange, Jessica’s finding it substantially easier to be around Krystal than she thought it’d be. That’s not to say that she isn’t struggling with not seeing Krystal as her girlfriend. Still, having their parents around them really helps solidify the fact that Krystal is her sister.

 

    They hadn’t been able to spend much time together today, but the hours they did have were good, amazing even. Jessica had helped her mom cook dinner, they had all eaten as a family, and then her dad had dragged out Monopoly for them to play. Surprisingly, Jessica hadn’t found herself hoping for the game to be over as soon as possible like she usually does. This time she genuinely enjoyed it, even if she did lose the hardest. She’s pretty sure it’s all because Krystal had been there.

 

    She’d gotten to watch Krystal groan over losing her fake money, as well as see her boast whenever she took someone else’s. Even though Jessica had definitely lost the most, she still found herself grinning throughout the whole game.

 

    At some point in the night Jessica had decided that her and Krystal’s fate might not be as bad as she originally thought. As long she can have Krystal in her life, this whole mess is bearable.

 

    Now, Jessica’s only problem is going to be completely wiping her system of any and all lust she has for her younger sister. Once that’s over with she’ll be able to hug, and even cuddle with her sister without any guilt or ulterior motives.

 

    As she slides into bed beside Krystal, Jessica realizes that’s easier said than done.



 

    Unlike usual, as soon as Krystal wakes she gets out of bed right away. Even in her sleepy state she's all too aware of Jessica's presence beside her. She knows that if she lingers too long the chances of her thoughts getting too deep, or worse, the chances of her ending up staring at Jessica, are way too high.

 

    As quietly as possible, Krystal gathers up some clothes for the day before going to take a shower.


 

    The first thing Krystal hears when she exits the bathroom is the laughter of her parents and Jessica. The sound makes her smile. Despite their complicated past, there’s no denying that Jessica’s is someone Krystal holds close to her heart; whether lover or sister. Though it’s only been a few months, she’s also developed an intense attachment to her parents. Walking into the kitchen to see all three of them turn to her with a smile brings Krystal a happiness that warms her entire being.

 

    “Good morning, honey. We were just talking about heading out for breakfast and then spending some time out on the town. What do you think?”, Her father asks.

 

    Krystal grins, “I think that sounds great.”, She says honestly. Though she loves going out outings with her parents, she knows having Jessica along will make the experience even better. No matter what her feelings towards the older woman are, there’s no denying that they’ve always liked being around each other.




 

    After close to three hours walking around town, Krystal’s nearly forgotten about all of her problems. Being out with her family, listening to them talk and laugh, it’s something Krystal never knew was missing from her life.

 

    Before her adoptive father had discovered her uality, Krystal wouldn’t have exactly described her family life as bad. Her father was always a little distant, cold, and strict. Her adoptive mother had always been kind and encouraging, but a little distant as well. Of course Tiffany had always been an amazing older sister; always giving advice and comfort when needed.

 

    However, there’s something about her birth family that makes her feel… at home. Her mother and father had been warm and welcoming from the moment they met. Regardless of how busy they could get, they always had meals together, and always talked openly with one another. Since moving in there’s never been any cold silence between the three of them. With Jessica here, they seem even more lively and happy.

 

    “I’m sorry to do this to you girls, but I have to get to work.”, Krystal’s father says apologetically, “I was able to get some hours off, but not the entire day, sadly.”

 

    “I should get home, too. All this walking has worn me out. Why don’t you two spend some time together?”, Her mother says with a smile.

 

    Krystal heart beat speeds up. Being out with just Jessica? That’s the last thing Krystal wants to do. She doesn’t even want to think about how awkward it’ll be without their parents between them. It just being the two of them… it’s too much like before.

 

    “I think that sounds like a plan, right Krystal?”, Jessica asks with a smile.

 

    Krystal marvels at her. Jessica has to be up to something. Something that’s no good. Afterall she had been she set on staying together even after finding out about their relation. Yet, since coming to town she’d taken on the role of big sister without even the slightest hitch. Regardless, Krystal forces a smile and nods her head.

 

    “Great! We’ll see you girls at home.”, Their mother says before walking away.

 

    Suddenly, Krystal’s aware of how close Jessica is to her. Krystal clears and turns her head towards her sister, “So what now?”

 

    Jessica shrugs with an unreadable expression on her face; her previous smile long gone. “It’s up to you. You can go off on your own if you want. I can tell you don’t feel comfortable with it just being us. But I do think it could do us some good to just hang out as sisters.”

 

    Krystal freezes. Had she really made her feelings that obvious? She supposes she might have tensed up once their mother had mentioned them spending time alone together, but it wasn’t that big of a give away was it? Then again, her and Jessica had been nearly inseparable for an entire year. She’d definitely had some practice in reading Krystal’s moods.

 

    When Krystal doesn’t say anything Jessica continues, “I’m not going to try anything if that’s what you’re thinking.”, Her tone emotionless.

 

    “It’ll… It’ll just be kind of weird is all.”, Krystal says honestly.

 

    Jessica nods understandingly, “I know. But the more we’re around each other, the faster that weirdness will go away. So, what do you say? I’ll buy you ice cream.”

 

    Krystal can’t help but chuckle, “Bribing me with sweets? I’m not a child.”

 

    A faint smile forms on Jessica’s lips, “Maybe not, but you sure act like one sometimes.”

 

    Krystal gives her a playful push, “Shut up. No I don’t.”

 

    “Oh no? Then explain that little puppy dog pout you have on your face right now.”

 

    Krystal’s silent; her pout deepening.

 

    Jessica laughs, “Knock it off. You’re going to end up giving yourself wrinkles.”

 

    Finally, Krystal relents, “Fine. But I want extra toppings on my ice cream.”

 

    Jessica starts walking and Krystal follows, “Such a kid.”, Jessica mutters.

 

    “Like you’re so mature.”, The younger counters.

 

    “At least I eat my ice cream without sprinkles.”

 

    Their teasing continues until they finally reach the small ice cream shop. As Krystal is layering her vanilla ice cream with sprinkles, chocolate chips, and cookie crumbles, she sees Jessica staring at her in amusement.

 

    “Shut up.”, Krystal says as she take the seat across from her sister.

 

    “I didn’t say anything.”, Jessica says with a sly smile.

 

    Krystal rolls her eyes before taking a few of her ice cream. It’s silent between them, but comfortably so. It’s only now that it’s quiet that Krystal realizes how they’ve been acting; like sisters.

 

    Absentmindedly, Krystal’s eyes wander to Jessica. She’s not paying attention to her younger sister; staring off into the distance towards the beach. Guiltily, Krystal’s eyes roam over Jessica’s features as they’d done so many times before. Her eyes stop when they arrive at Jessica’s mouth.

 

    The sight of Jessica’s tongue purposefully her ice cream causes an ache in Krystal that makes her squirm uncomfortably in her seat. She curses herself inwardly as her stomach roils with self hatred. Her mind shouldn’t be prying open all these tightly sealed fantasies.

 

    It takes a great deal of effort, but Krystal manages to look away. Instead, she directs her attention to the beach.

 

    “Thinking of going before you leave town?”, Krystals asks.

 

    Jessica nods without looking away from the ocean, “Yeah. i don’t know when I’ll be able to come back.”

 

    “You’re coming home for Christmas aren’t you? That’s not too far away.”

 

    Jessica chuckles, “I doubt it. Work has been hectic. Just getting away for a few days was a challenge.”

 

    “Things not going well at the company?”, Krystal asks with genuine curiosity. She’d noticed that her older sister looked a little underweight; Jessica’s always had trouble eating when she’s stressed.

 

    Jessica chuckles, “The opposite, actually. Things have never been better. There’s just a lot to oversee.”

 

    “You haven’t been overworking yourself, have you?”, Krystal questions with concern evident in her voice. When Jessica turns her attention to the younger girl, Krystal almost flinches away. There’s a smile on Jessica’s lips, but it’s a harsh, bitter one. Something she’s not used to seeing.

 

    “You don’t have to worry about me. I’m an adult, Krystal. I can handle myself.”, Jessica says in a voice that’s just a bitter as her smile.

 

    Clearly, there’s definitely something to worry about here. But Krystal has to fight against pressing the issue. It’s definitely a sore topic.

 

    “I know.”, Krystal says simply. She lowers her eyes to the table while she continues to eat her ice cream.

 

    “So what have you been doing here?”, Jessica asks. Her tone is no longer harsh, but it’s still far from being pleasant.

 

    “Not a whole lot. I’ve been taking some acting classes, but that’s it.”

 

    “Mom mentioned that. Any plans for the future, yet?”

 

    Krystal shakes her head, “None. I guess I’m just enjoying having a family right now. Sometimes, it almost feels like I’m a kid again. Mom and Dad coddle me like I’m still in grade school.”

 

    Jessica chuckles, “Yep, that definitely sounds like them.”, She glances behind Krystal and grins, “There’s this pretty girl behind you that’s been staring you down since we first walked in. You should go talk to her.”

 

    The suggestion catches Krystal off guard. “I-I couldn’t do that. I wouldn’t want to bother her.”

 

    Jessica’s grin widens, “She’s all by herself. It’s worth a shot.”

 

    Knowing that Jessica won’t let up until she goes through with it, Krystal stands and walks to the girl’s table.




 

    “So did you get her number?”, Jessica asks teasingly as they walk out of the ice cream place.

 

    “I gave her mine. But I was getting straight vibes from her. Maybe she was just staring because she likes my style or something.”

 

    Krystal is trying her best to carry on this conversation normally, but it all feels too surreal. Jessica, the woman that had been so reluctant to part ways, the woman that had begged Krystal to continue being her girlfriend, is the same woman that’s trying to get her out on the dating scene again.

 

    “It’s almost like…  Like she’s really treating me as her little sister. Like she isn’t in love with me anymore.”, Krystal thinks. Oddly enough, that thought makes her stomach sink.

 

    Since arriving home Jessica had behaved strictly as a sister to her. No subtle flirting, no lingering touches, nothing like that. And she had just convinced her to try to get a stranger’s number. Ironically enough, Tiffany had done about the same thing to try to get her and Jessica together.

 

    Jessica has taken to the role of big sister too quickly for Krystal’s liking. Krystal had expected some sort of slip up from Jessica. Something to indicate that she’s still as in love with Krystal as ever. In fact, a shameful part of Krystal is hoping for that.

 

    “I’m getting a call. I’ll be back in a second.”, Jessica says; breaking Krystal out of her thoughts.

 

    Krystal nods and watches Jessica walk a few yards away to answer her phone. Jessica wanting her out of hearing range is more than a little confusing. What could be so top secret that she doesn’t want her to hear?

 

    As Krystal watches Jessica she starts to understand why. That grin, her body language, the little snips of conversation Krystal can hear; it all makes sense now. Jessica’s dating someone, or at least seeing someone seriously. She has to be.

 

    Knowing that completely destroys what little of Krystal’s good mood was left. How could she have gotten over what they had so fast? Krystal herself had tried to be with other people, but nothing had panned out.

 

    Going on dates felt good. The possibility for romance, the bubbly feeling of getting to know someone. But it wasn’t enough. None of the people she’d went out with had fit her right. There always seemed to be at least a few condemning qualities about them.

 

    Of course hooking up felt good physically, but that was it. She misses the deep emotional connecting that her a Jessica had. The connection that had been the driving force behind their every motion. Not to mention that Jessica knew all the right ways to touch her. Both dates and only distracted her for a short while, and that was it.

 

    Krystal watches as Jessica hangs up her phone and walks back with a wide smile on her face.

 

    “Who was that?”, Krystal asks; trying to sound curious and not jealous.

 

    “Just a friend of mine.”, She says simply.

 

    “What’d they want?”

 

    “Nothing in particular. Just to talk.”

 

    Krystal really wants to push the subject, but she doesn’t. She figures it’s in the best interest for their relationship as sisters that Jessica not know how she’s feeling right now.




 

    Krystal eats quietly while she absentmindedly listens to her parents and sister talk. It’s nothing particularly interesting, but seeing the way her family interacts makes Krystal smile.

 

    “So, are you seeing anyone these days?”, Their mom asks.

 

    The question immediately makes Krystal focus her full attention on the conversation.

 

    “I mean… not really.”, Jessica answers hesitantly.

 

    Their mother eyes Jessica suspiciously, “So that’s a yes?”

 

    Jessica chuckles, “It’s not anything official. I wouldn’t say we’re seeing each other.”

 

    “A friend with benefits?”, Their father asks.

 

    Jessica nearly spits her food out of , and Krystal’s left in slack jawed awe.

 

    “A...A what?”, Jessica stutters out, obviously shocked that her father had asked such a question.

 

    “You know, a friend that you’re sweet on that takes you on dates.”, He says innocently.

 

    Jessica smiles in relief, “Yeah. It’s kind of like that.”

 

    Krystal lowers her head in hopes that no one will try to talk to her anytime soon. She needs at least a few minutes to absorb what Jessica said. She’s not dating someone, but that does little to ease Krystal’s pain. She’s pretty sure that this mystery person is a friend with benefits at the very least. And not the PG version their father had in mind.

 

    Suddenly, she remembers the fight her and Jessica had the day after they found out they’re sisters. The words Jessica had yelled at her played over and over in her mind more than once, “It can’t be that easy for you. I refuse to believe you’d be able to forget about our whole relationship just like that.”

 

    Those words have stuck with her for months. Because trying to get over their relationship has been anything but easy for her. Yet it seemed to have been pretty damn simple for Jessica.

 

    “My stomach’s bothering me. I’m gonna go lie down.”, Krystal says before standing from the kitchen table and going to her room. Not even bothering to wait for Jessica or either of their parents to say anything in return.

 

    Krystal shuts her door behind herself, and then lies down on the bed. She’s still in love with Jessica; it’s a fact that she just has to face. All this family bonding seems to have only strengthened her love for the older girl instead of converting it into the sisterly affection Krystal so badly wants to feel for her instead.

 

    Jessica had been such a good big sister today. Talking to her like an older sister would, encouraging her to find a girlfriend, and even teasing her. With Jessica putting in so much effort, Krystal feels like falling into her place as a little sister should be easy. Automatic even. Yet, nothing like that has happened. In fact, she feels more lost, guilty, and disgusted with herself than ever.

 

    “Krystal, is everything okay?”, Even though her back is towards the door, she knows it’s Jessica.

 

    “My stomach just hurts is all.”

 

    Krystal feels her bed shift as Jessica sits on it, “I brought you some medicine.”

 

    Even though she’d much rather evaporate into the air than face her sister right now, Krystal sits up and takes the medicine cup full of pink liquid from Jessica’s hand. She gulps it down fast; shuddering at the taste and texture as she does.

 

    Jessica rubs Krystal’s back comfortingly, “That should make you feel a little better. Eating all those sugary toppings on your ice cream probably wreaked havoc on your stomach.”

 

    The combination of the light touch on her back and Jessica’s soft, sweet, voice nearly make Krystal want to cry. She’s doing it yet again. So effortlessly being the older sister she’s supposed to be.

 

    Jessica stands from the bed, “I’ll let you rest, alright?” Krystal nods silently in fear that her voice will betray her emotions.

 

    It’s only when the door is shut and she hears Jessica’s footsteps getting quieter that Krystal lies back down and allows herself to shed a few tears. This is exactly what she wanted, isn’t it? When she had told Jessica that their love for each other had to change, this is exactly what she meant, right?

 

    No. Not quite. She’d pictured their transformation from lovers to sisters happening gradually and at the same pace. Instead Jessica’s left her in the dust to struggle with her emotions alone.

 

 

 

 

 

AN: It was only after typing up this whole thing that I realized this chapter is kinda boring and uneventful, sorry guys :/ Also, I'm sorry if this chapter has an abnormal amount of typos. It was edited while super sleepy.

Anyway, thanks for all the subs, comments, and just support in general! Even if updates have been painfully slow.