The Story Of it All

100 Days With Mr. Jung
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

=

[CONTENTID1] The Story of it All [/CONTENTID1]

 

[CONTENTID2]

 

When things are too good to be true, I had the tendency to doubt them. Especially when it involved shocking news.

After I answered Ji Cheol’s phone call, you bet my , I bolted off of school and took the bus to the hospital. I used up my energy so much, that I ended up dragging my feet within the hospital corridors, panting heavily, as I tried to go to the front desk. Within the scatter of patients ahead of me, I spotted Ji Cheol, his heard turned at my direction.

“Jaejoong-ah…are you okay? Why do you look so….”

“Sweaty?” I asked, as I wiped my forehead. “I…ran…all the way here…”

“You didn’t need to.”

“But I wanted to.”

Ji Cheol’s head turned to the door. “The doctors say we shouldn’t rattle him too much..he’s still getting the hang of things.”

“There’s so many things I want to ask him,” I said, slightly peering over Ji Cheol’s shoulder.

“Maybe…we can save those questions for later…” Ji Cheol said.

“When did he wake up?” I asked.

“At 1 PM,” Ji Cheol said. “I was going to call you at the time I visited the hospital, but then I realized that you had school…”

“Can I just…” I said. “Look at him?”

“I mean,” Ji Cheol said, putting his hands behind his head. “As long as you don’t startle him.”

“But…” I said, my chest tightening. “Does…Yunho know that he’s awake?”

“I’m pretty sure he was already contacted,” Ji Cheol said. “I tried to call him…but, he didn’t respond.”

I sighed again. Even Ji Cheol had a hard time contacting Yunho, that my hope for us of reuniting started to darken.

Ji Cheol stepped aside, as I walked towards the door. For some reason, I was quite hesitant, as my hand lingered on the doorknob, not knowing whether it was safe for me to turn it or not. For the first time in my life, I was going to see the man that made Yunho to the man he was today. A man that Yunho talked highly of.

Doing what my heart wanted me to do, I opened the door, and drew a huge, loud breath. The sound of machines made my stomach uneasy, as it beeped in my ears, telling me that life was an amazing, yet fragile thing. I took tiny, little steps, as I inched towards the bed, slightly regretting my decision.

Yunho’s dad looked quite startled. I don’t know if it was a good startled, or a bad startled, as his eyes widened at the sight of me. I could hear nothing, but his breathing’s increasing speed. I sat down on the stool across from him, not knowing what else I could do.

His oxygen max started to fog, as his breathing slowed down. I wanted to hold his hand, but I couldn’t, knowing that I could possibly worsen his condition. Even with his age, I could make out the resemblance between him and Yunho. They both had those small, moon-like eyes, and lips that were shaped like a cupid bow. Even if I didn’t know this man, nor spoke to him once in my life, just the fact that he was alive and breathing was enough to make my day-a feeling that was similar to reuniting with a friend that you haven’t seen for a long time.

Even though my purpose coming here was to spam him with questions regarding the accident, I could no longer get myself to do it, as my pity towards him filled my heart. He looked quite weak. With his gaunt cheeks, and pale skin. I started to think about my dad, and how horrible it would be if he ever had to experience something like this.

“Hye…Kyo…..”

The queasiness in my stomach worsened, as I heard that name slip out of his mouth. How was I supposed to tell him that I was not the person he was looking for? How was I supposed to tell him that I was the shadow of the person that his son loved?

“I’m….”

As badly as I wanted to say the truth, it probably wasn’t the right time to tell him. He was still in recovery. Even if it wasn’t like myself to hold my tongue back, there was a proper place, and a proper time for things.

Instead of putting him in the state of sadness, I held out my hand for him, giving him the most support I could. Hopefully, he would be able to feel the sincerity of my heart.

“Was it a nice rest?” I asked.

He didn’t say a word. But even if that was the case, I didn’t care. Hopefully, he’ll only continue to get better from now on.

 

 

It was already 5PM, when I had stepped out of Mr. Jung’s hospital room. The doctors were about to do their rounds for the evening, and I didn’t want to get in the way, so I decided to leave. Ji Cheol offered me a ride home, which saved me from the trouble of taking a bus.

The skies were orange, mixed with purple and a sprinkle of stars. For some reason, it reminded me of patbingsu…Maybe I was lovesick, or hungry, or just both, to the point where I was associating food with the sky. Life was strange. Then, another thought came to mind.

“Did Yunho answer yet?” I asked.

“No,” Ji Cheol said, shaking his head.

He shifted in his seat, after spitting out the answer. I had a feeling that he was up to something. And I didn’t like this feeling at all. Now that I think about it…it was quite strange for Ji Cheol and Yunho to have difficulty contacting each other in a span of five freakin’ months. I mean, I’m pretty sure the connection in Japan wasn’t that bad, right?

“You’re hiding somehting right?” I asked, as I gazed at the window, and the roads that we passed.

“Why would you ask that?” Ji Cheol asked.

I crossed my arms. “You keep beating around the bush whenever I ask something about Yunho.”

As I looked to my side, Ji Cheol pursed his lips. Not a word came out of his mouth, which raised my suspicions.

“I’m not hiding anything if that’s what you wanted to ask,” Ji Cheol said. “And if I was, then it’s for your own good.”

“What do you mean?” I asked. “How is hiding things for the sake of my own good?”

“You’ll find out,” Ji Cheol said, turning to the lane ahead of us.

“I’m 18,” I said, loud and clear. “Why can’t I find out now?”

“Does that even make a difference?” Ji Cheol asked.

“Why do people think that I’m too young to know things?!” I cried.

Ji Cheol didn’t answer.

“Stop the car,” I said.

“What?”

“I’m getting off…” I said.

“But Jaej-”

“Please!” I cried.

“It’s dark,” Ji Cheol argued.

“So?” I asked. “I’m not blind.”

“Fine,” Ji Cheol scoffed. “Since you’re 18 now, I’m giving you the decision of grating your wishes.”

Ji Cheol drove, just until he found the perfect spot to park the car, which was near some cafe shop. I unbuckled my seatbelt, and got off the car. I figured that running away from my problems would be better than starting a fight. I should’ve done that in the first place, when I first bumped into Yunho’s car. Maybe my life would’ve been easier, if I didn’t own up to my mistakes.

“Be safe,” Ji Cheol said.

Then, Ji Cheol’s car drove away, very slowly, disappearing to the end of the lane. Now, I was only facing a cross walk, and the traffic light in front of it. I couldn’t see the current color of the light, as I lost myself in the pain of my stomach, making me quite hesitant to cross the street. The more that I looked at my surroundings, the sooner I start to realize that this were the streets that me and Yunho often walked at. But at that time, it was fall.

Instead of crossing the street, I turned back to the sidewalk, as I sighted a row of shops ahead of me. The smell of coffee and cake hit my nose, making my stomach growl. But, I was only a student, with delayed allowances and studies to take care of. I didn’t have money for expensive food. Only Yunho did.

Then I discovered something again. I don’t know if this small theory of mine qualifies as heartbreaking, or groundbreaking, but then it really hit to home, when Ji Cheol said that I was only a kid. Even if I was 18, I was like a toddler who was learning how to walk. When I claimed that I knew what love was, I was only kidding myself.

Yunho was years older than me. To top that, he was a fully grown man. Maybe I loved him because of how generous he was. How he was always willing to protect me at any cost. Was it real love? I don’t know. But whenever he bought me cake, or hot chocolate at expensive cafes, I would always feel my heart tingle. And the more that I think about those times, the more that I crave the taste of the cake. But, it was a taste I would never experience again. Even if I had the same cake now, it wouldn’t be the same without Yunho. Maybe I liked Yunho…because he was someone I could depend on. Like an older sibling that I could never have. Like Hye Kyo. He reminded me of her in some way.

 

 

I was back at the hospital again, much to my fear. There was something scary, yet fascinating about this place, with its white walls, and the wheelchairs that drove past me. It kind of reminded me of a bright haunted house, especially in this unit.

In my hand, I had flowers, that were bought with my own money from helping out with the food truck. It was about time that my mom paid me, even though it was still short of what I wanted. But, fifty dollars was better than nothing right? At least I still had money for ddeokbokki.

As I walked into the room, in the quietest, careful manner, I spotted Yunho’s father, speaking with a nurse. He looked better than when I had last seen him. His skin had more color, and his eyes had life into them. The nurse turned her head towards my direction and smiled at me.

“Hello.”

“Hi,” I shyly said.

“What’s your relation to him?”

“Oh,” I said, looking at the old man. “A…a family friend.”

“Feel free to talk to him,” she said.

“How is he?” I asked.

“I can’t share my information since you’re not his official guardian…” she said, pursing her lips. “But he is in good condition. And he’s been doing great in his therapy sessions. And from what I’ve seen, he’s been starting to gain control of his body.”

“Thank you,” I said, bowing.

“I will leave you two alone.”

Silence returned, after the nurse shut the door. Yunho’s father kept his gaze on the window, as the sun’s rays beamed on him. Not knowing what to say, I walked over to the night stand, with the flowers in my hand.

“Hye Kyo?”

Oh no. The old man still thinks that I’m Hye Kyo. How was I supposed to tell him that she was no longer in this world? My heart couldn’t bring to do it, no matter what the truth was. Sadly, my resemblance to my sister was both a blessing and a curse.

“I’m…” I croaked, as I put the flowers in an empty vase. “I’m Hye Kyo’s brother.”

“Brother?” he asked.

Finally, the flowers were all in place, and brought a pop of color to this sad looking room. A smile came out of my face.

“Yes,” I said, as I touched the violet petals of the lilacs. 

“Where is Hye Kyo?” he asked.

My back was turned to the man, but desp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter