Red Light

100 Days With Mr. Jung
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

=

[CONTENTID1] Red Light  [/CONTENTID1]

 

[CONTENTID2]

Sorry if you've already read this chapter and you get a notification, I accidentally made this chap into a draft lmaooo

“Jaejoong-ah,” Omma said, standing from the edge of the bed. “When...when did you come back?”

“That doesn’t matter right now!” I cried.

“Jaejoong,” Appa said.

“What are you two talking about? What do you mean...you’re going to sell the...the mandu shop?” I croaked.

“It’s not doing well...” Appa said, casting a frown. “For months, our profits are decreasing...”

“There must be a way to keep it!” I cried.

“But...no one goes to my shop anymore...” Omma said, nearing me. “Jaejoong-ah, don’t freak out too much, okay?”

“But!” I exclaimed. “Omma...the mandu shop...you’ve devoted your whole life to it! That’s where all our family memories were...you can’t just...you can’t just sell it...”

“We have no choice Jae-,”

“What do you mean?!” I cried. “There is a choice!”

Omma and appa both knotted their eyebrows, giving me a puzzled look.

“We’re going to get lots of money,” I said.

“How?” Omma asked. “Where are we going to get money from?”

“I...I’ll be an idol!”

Appa and Omma’s eyes widened out of horror, shocked by what I’d just said.

“Jaejoong...are you kidding us right now?” Appa asked. “How are you gonna be an idol huh? You can’t even sing!”

“I so can!” I cried. “Well...well, not really...but...if I put my mind into it...I can be good as the others! I’ll practice real good...and...and I’ll debut in an idol group!”

“Jaejoong-ah,” Omma said. “Aren’t you dreaming too much?”

“SM Entertainment...” I said. “They casted me.”

“Huh?!” Omma and appa gasped.

“Yesterday...when I was with Changwook...a recruiter was in the streets...and they gave me a business card! You can even ask Changwook if you don’t believe me!”

“But Jaejoong-ah...even if they scout you, there’s a bunch of trainees and competition who are willing to be idols...” Appa said. “Trust me, my friend’s son tried-,”

“But...I’m not your friend’s son...” I cut in. “I really want to do this...”

“...”

“Imagine all the money we’ll get if I debut!” I cried. “We’ll be out of debt, I’ll be rich...and...”

“Jaejoong-ah...think a little,” Omma said, tilting her head to the side. “SM Entertainment is all the way in Seoul...”

“Then I’ll go to Seoul!” I cried. “Come on...believe in me please...”

“How about your school?” Appa asked. “Huh, what are you going to do about your studies?”

“I’ll drop out then...”

“Oh heck no!” Omma exclaimed, wagging her finger. “You are not dropping out of school to be an idol!”

“Omma!” I cried, stomping my foot on the ground.

“Just study hard, and try to get into a good college...” Appa said. “It’s the least you could do for us...”

“That’ll take forever!” I exclaimed. “Then your mandu shop will be closed!”

“I rather have my mandu shop closed than you becoming an idol!” Omma cried.

Why were my parents discouraging me? You know what, if they were really my parents, if they really cared about me, then they would be cheering for me! But no, instead, they’re putting me down, making me feel all worthless!

“You know what!” I exclaimed. “I’ll prove to you that I can become and idol! I’ll go to Seoul, and audition! So just you wait omma and appa!”

“Jaejoong-,”

Before my appa could say anything, I bolted out of the room, and slammed the door behind me. I couldn’t take it anymore! Everyone keeps underestimating me. One day, they’ll regret saying this to me, especially if I become their main source of income!

“Aish!” I cried, as I entered my room.

“Hyung,” Changwook said, spinning towards me in his chair. “When did you come back?”

“Changwook-ah,” I said, shutting the door behind me. “Tell me...do you think I can become an idol?”

“Um...” Changwook said, shifting his eyes back and forth. “Well...”

“Well...”

“I guess you can...” Changwook nodded. “SM scouted you yesterday, so why not?”

“At least one person believes in me...” I said, sitting on the bottom bunk bed.

“Why?”

“Because...omma...and appa won’t,” I said, rubbing my temples.

“...”

Should I tell Changwook about the shop closing?

“Changwook-ah...” I said, putting my hand on his shoulder. “Believe in me, okay?”

“Huh?” he asked, expressing a dumbfounded look.

“From now on...I’m going to practice the whole night...I’m going to do dances and stuff...and practice my singing...and then...I’ll be more talented than the whole TVXQ combined!”

 

I eyed the business card in my hand, as I waited for an answer from the phone. Changwook was sitting beside me, his head hovering above my shoulder.

“Hello?” I said.

“Hi, who is this?” a girl said. Her voice was the same from yesterday.

“I..um...I’m the...the uh, the girl who you scouted from yesterday...you know~ outside the boutique....”

“Oh yes! It’s me Shim Eun Ha! How may I help you? You were that pretty girl, right?”

“Yes!” I said in my high-pitched, sugarcoated bimbo voice. “I would like to ask you about something.”

“What are you concerned about?”

“I...um...it’s about the auditions,” I said.

“Oh yes! The auditions!” she cried. “You’re interested?”

“Yes!” I exclaimed. “I just wanted to ask...when the auditions are...”

“Oh! We’re holding it in three weeks...so on October 28th “

Three weeks? Do you think I’ll have enough time to practice?

“Where are the auditions going to be at?” I asked.

“It’s all the way in Seoul...in Cheonhodong...”

 “Oh...I thought SM Entertainment was in Cheongdamdong...” I said.

“I..uh...we changed headquarters...”

“Oh, I see...” I croaked.  “Where are you all located specifically?”

“Do you know where Cheongnyangni 588 is?” she asked.

“Um...I think...” I replied.

“Hyung...that’s where the red light districts are...” Changwook whispered.

“No way!” I whispered back, not believing him. “There’s no way...”

“Anyways, is that all you have to ask?” the girl asked.

“Um...yeah,” I replied. “That’s it...oh, wait no!”

“What is it?”

“Um...do I have to bring anything...you know anything extra? I just want to be prepared and all...”

“Well...we provide our own supplies...so you don’t have anything to worry about...the only thing we want is you...”

“Okay...well, thanks for answering my questions,” I said. “Have a nice day...”

“You too.”


 

“Ya Kim Jaejoong!”

I quickly pulled my head away from the table, as set my gaze towards the teacher. Right now, she looked anything but happy, as she shot a glare towards me. I straightened my back, trying to put myself together.

“Sorry Saeng...”

“Ya Kim Jaejoong...” she repeated. “Are you okay?”

“What do you mean?” I groaned, rubbing my eyes.

She shifted her weight to one foot and crossed her arms. “You seem awfully tired these days.”

God, did it show? I mean, my tiredness was inevitable. Two weeks have gone by. Two, cold, chilly weeks. Like the usual, after seven hours of school, I would go to Yunho’s penthouse and clean the out of his house. There’d be no point of cleaning up his house. It literally takes a day for him to mess his house up once again. At this rate, he should have a record for being a walking tornado. It’s as if he doesn’t know what cleaning is, or the concept of it.

Usually, Yunho wasn’t home during the days. He’d usually be at work, or some business meeting that rich people went to. Gong-sabunim would usually be at home, guiding me. There’s still a lot of crooks and nannies that I had to get used to. Like the fancy light system of the house, and the dishwasher setting.

I guess me and Yunho are sort of getting used to each other. I mean, it’s not that I like him too much, but it’s not like I hated him either. We’re sort of on a neutral ground, if I should say. Lately, he’s not making me want to pull out my hair, so that’s good. But the only downside was that I still had to wear a stupid maid costume. And that he still calls me by my female name; “Jaekyung.”

After finishing my set of chores for the day, I’d usually bus home. Usually, it was dark at the time, and cold. Real cold. But, I didn’t mind. Sometimes, Gong-sabo offered me rides home in his car, but I didn’t want to trouble him, and I liked going home by myself anyways.

Before going inside my apartment, I’d walk over to the back of the building, plug in my headphones, and practice dancing for two hours, just until it reached midnight. My parents were already sleeping, and they assumed I was at Hagwon, so they didn’t bother to question my whereabouts. The date of the audition was approaching, and I couldn’t afford losing an hour worth of practice. My mind an soul was set on making it in the final cut, even if it meant losing hours of sleep.

“You’re also missing a set of assignments...” Seonsaengnim said. “Is everything okay Kim Jaejoong?”

Why was she so concerned about me now?

“Well,” I said scratching my head. “I...uh...I’m working a lot...”

I had to lie either way. Well, it’s half the truth anyways, since I AM considered as Yunho’s employee, and or slave.

“Work?” she asked. “At this age, you’re supposed to be focusing on school...”

“Well...as you see right now...” I said, shifting my eyes back and forth. “Uh...my family’s not doing well...”

Oh . Why did I say that? Now she’s going to get up into my business!

“Not doing well?” she asked, her eyebrows arching. “Should I call your-,”

“No! No! That’s not what I meant!” I cried, waving my hands.

My classmates turned their heads towards us, probably interested in this ordeal of mine. Of course. That’s their jobs. To watch and listen. After that job is done, they’ll gossip about it like a bunch of buzzing bees.

“I meant...uhm...I had to help up with my omma’s shop...because she’s uh...her employee went on...um vacation...but she’s coming back now, so...everything will be normal...and I’ll be able to do my homework and have a normal sleeping time! You know...like normal students...”

The teacher’s arched eyebrow relieved itself, returning to its previous shape. “That’s good.”

“Hehehe....” I chuckled. “Don’t worry, everything will be fine...”

“It better be...because if it’s not...” she said, glancing to the side. “You won’t be able to graduate high school.”

 

Honestly, I still haven’t told my omma, or appa about the upcoming audition in Seoul. If I did, they’d lose their . Basically, this is what would happen; my omma would yell at me, and call me crazy, then my appa would force me to stay in my room for the whole day, either that, or my omma would take me to a psychiatrist.

I figured out today would be a good time to say it, since it’s Saturday morning, which means I have time to compose my thoughts without having the pressure of getting to school on time.

“Omma,” I said, spooning a portion of my kimchi fried rice.

“What is it?” Omma asked, forking her egg whites.

“I’m going to Seoul for the weekend,” I replied.

“What?” Appa asked, looking up from his newspaper.

Even Changwook and Yoojung’s eyes lit up, probably interested in my sudden announcement.

“Why?” Omma asked.

“Um...” I croaked.

, why didn’t I think about that? I should’ve planned this lie out a little better. Did dusting Yunho’s shelves kill my brain cells?

“Um, I’m meeting a friend in Seoul...” I stammered, putting my spoon down.

“Friend? Which friend?” Omma asked.

“You have friends?” Yoojung asked, raising her brow in a sly way.

“Piss off!” I cried, swinging my foot underneath the table.

“Ow!” Yoojung cried.

“Jaejoong!” Omma exclaimed.

“Sorry omma...” I croaked, lowering my head.

“Anyways...tell me about this friend of yours...who is he?” Omma asked.

 “Um...he’s a friend that moved far, far away...in uh...the end of Junior High. He, erm...moved to Gangnam-gu...”

“Wow, Gangnam-gu?” Appa asked. “Your friend must be really rich.”

“He...he’s...well, he’s middle class...” I replied.

Dang, this friend isn’t even real, and I’ve already decided a place for him. Wow Kim Jaejoong, you play your game real well, don’t you? See? Your lying skills haven’t rusted yet.

“Well, can I get your friend’s parent’s contact information?” Omma asked, leaning forwards.

Hearing those words made me choke on my rice. I pounded my chest with my fists, trying to clear the blockage inside my body.

“Um...” I said, shifting my eyes back and forth.

Damn! Who was I going to use as a fake parent? I don’t know any other adults...well, actually...there’s one that I could possibly use.

Yunho. Jung Yunho. He doesn’t have to know about my mother having his contact info, right? I mean, it’s not like she’s actually going to call him. Usually, people only called other people when they need something, or if something tragic-which rarely occurs in my life.

“After I eat my breakfast...I’ll give his father’s number to you,” I said smiling.

“...”

“If I do that...I can go, right?” I asked.

“Well, I need to talk to his father first and see if he’s an okay person,” Omma said.

Talk? Why would you need to talk? I mean, not everybody has time to talk! Why can’t you just be like one of those lenient moms, and let me go to Seoul without having to talk to other people’s parents! Jeez, was I like five or something? It’s not like I’m going to get kidnapped or something. Aish! I’m going crazy!

“Uh...well his appa is a real busy person...” I replied. “I don’t think he has time to talk to other people’s parents...and besides, his father says it’s perfectly okay-,”

“I’m not letting you go to Seoul until I know this friend of yours is trustworthy...” Omma said in a stern tone, as she furrowed her eyebrows together.

“Ugh! Fine!” I cried, rising from the chair. “I’ll...uh...let you talk to him...just let me get a hold of him for a second...’kay?”

“Okay...” Omma said, nodding.

I dashed off into the hallway, as I dialed a certain number in my flip phone. To be honest, having this little flip phone was a little bit more convenient than a smart phone. It’s lighter, and you could phone people right away. AND, if you dropped it, the screen doesn’t crack.

“Hello?” A familiar voice said.

“Ahjussi...” I whispered.

“Why are you calling me so early in the morning? It’s not like you to do this...and don’t you have school?”

I heaved a huge breath, preparing myself to ask him the question. I know it wasn’t my position to do this, but my determination was getting the best of me. Who needed dignity? Who needed shame when there was money involved? Money and fame.

“Actually...I have a favor...I would like to ask you...” I stammered.

“A favor? What kind of favor?” Yunho asked.

“Well...uh...I need you....to pretend...that um...you’re my imaginary friend’s parent...”

“Huh? What are you talking about?”

After his question, I told him about my plans of going to Seoul (and not my true intentions behind it), and how my omma wouldn’t let me go unless she had contact of my ‘friend’s’ parent, since you know, my omma has trust issues and all.

“So, can you do it?” I asked. “Can you...act...just for once?”

“Fi...fine...” Yunho sighed.

“Okay...I’ll give the phone over to her, and you do all the talking ‘kay? Make it sound convincing, and try to sound like the 45-year-old you are!” I cried.

“Hey! I’m not-,”

“Omma!” I cried, cutting Yunho off. “It’s my friend’s appa...uhm...Mr. Jung...”

“He’s on the line?” Omma asked.

“Yup!” I cried, handing the phone to omma.

Omma’s eyes widen as she takes the phone from me.

“Hello? Yes...this is Kim Jaejoong’s omma...Kim Deok Hwa...yes...my Jaejoongie says he wants to see your son in Seoul...yes...I just wanted to make sure that I could trust my son in your hands...yes...he can stay there right?...hopefully he won’t be too much of trouble...yes...well, I’m quite worried about him sometimes...he is quite of a troublemaker...but, he’s a very good cleaner...he could do some extra chores for you? Oh...okay...well...then...yes...I see...okay, you seem like a trustworthy person...I’m trusting you...yes...okay...bye...”

Aish. My omma’s totally embarrassing. Yeah, so what if I’m a troublemaker? It’s not like I’m a product where you can state all my pros and cons! Jeez Louise! Just listening to her made my hands curl.

“Well,” Omma said, handing the flip phone to me. “You can go to Seoul.”

“Really?” I asked, feeling my chest get lighter.

“Yup,” Omma said, glancing at appa. “Our Jaejoongie can go to Seoul for the weekend, right Jaejoong’s appa?”

“I guess so. As long as he doesn’t cause trouble...” Appa said, flipping though his newspaper.

If Omma’s convinced, then that automatically means I can go. Usually my omma made the decisions of the family, while my appa was the observer. That’s how our family works. That’s how harmonious we were.

“Yes! Thank you omma!! Thank you!! Thank you!!” I cheered, walking over to Omma.

I bent over to Omma and kissed both sides of her cheeks-a thing I rarely did for omma. As I pulled back, omma looked at me, her eyes wide, and her grin big.

Don’t worry omma and appa, I won’t disappoint you. After I come back from Seoul, I’ll be a super star, with lots of riches and a lot of fame. Our mandu shop won’t be closed, and we’ll live in a house that’s bigger than Jeju island. Just you wait. Your son Kim Jaejoong will try his best to be a filial son!

 

“Sorry, sorry sorry!!!”

“Kim Jaejoong!”

I turned around, startled by the sudden calling of my name. . It was Park Yoochun, standing by the rooftop door, his face marked with a smirk, and his arms crossed.


Please Subscribe to read the full chapter