Dec. 23, 20XX

Of Paper Planes and Paper Hearts

Junhui lets out a sigh of frustration as he walks out of the city bus before it leaves. He glares at the ground covered in a thick layer of snow before kicking the snow, watching it go a few centimeters before plopping back onto the ground. After an adjustment of his navy blue scarf, he shoves his hands back into the pockets of his trousers before walking down the street into his neighborhood.

First my alarm clock died on me, second I forgot my jacket for today, next my teacher implied that I'm bad at Korean even though I've been living here for about four years now, and then I took the fall for my dongsaengs because they don't understand the rules for chemistry... so was Junhui's grumpy thoughts as he treaded through the snow.

His grumpy thoughts stopped when he finally reached the left turn into the street of his house and saw colorful spots in the blank snow.

He blinked, maybe once or twice, before rubbing his eyes and still saw the spots decorating the white street.

"Dang it I bet it was those Eunbi kids again..." Junhui muttered under his breath before walking over and suddenly realizing, "Wait a minute, they have dance practice today..." well that and that those weren't dots, they were paper airplanes. He reached down and picked a rosey pink one up.

It wouldn't be a lie that Junhui was kinda dumbfounded as to who could've found the time to make all of these paper planes on a busy thursday but he was more dumbfounded when something sharp suddenly hit the right side of his head.

"What the...?!" Junhui turns to where the plane came from before seeing and hearing the loud slam of a window being shut and velvet green curtains being abruptly pulled.

Well Junhui was simply confused now, considering that the house it came from was the obnoxious yellow-colored house that he would always have to look at in the morning whenever he pulled the curtains opened in his room- but that was exactly the thing that confused him: because it was an obnoxious yellow-colored house that was left behind by an elderly couple who went into a retirement home a week after he came no one has bought it ever since. So really, there shouldn't be anyone in that house, but he did see that the sign in the yard was gone now so someone found some sort of appeal to the house, and whoever that someone is, they must really like paper planes.

Guess it's time to recycle them then if the new neighbor decided to do this to them... Junhui inwardly groaned at the thought of it but proceeded with picking up the paper planes. By the last plane- which just so happened to be the one that poked him in the head- he noticed that compared to the other ones, it was crumped and slightly ripped, revealing writing in black ink on the interior of the plane.


How are you doing? I hope you're doing well!
~ Jan. 3, 20XX                                                            

I miss you a lot... I wish you'd just stay with me instead of visit me...
~ Mar. 16, 20XX                                                                                                    

I feel a lot better after writing, but I don't think I'll ever be able to show you...
~ Nov. 24, 20XX                                                                                                                     

We should talk sometime! It gets lonely, you know...
~ Jul. 12, 20XX                                                                      

Do you care about me anymore?
~ Feb. 19, 20XX                                

It hurts when you realize that you've been forgotten...
~ Apr. 5, 20XX                                                                            

I want to throw it away but it's a terrifying thought once you've put too much thought into it...
~ Oct. 3, 20XX                                                                                                                                                        

Sometimes I wonder how the word has changed without me...
~ Dec. 10, 20XX                                                                                         

One thing for sure was that Junhui had just found something more interesting than homework (which honestly wasn't interesting in the first place like you can get more entertained with a fly than homework -A-). With each new colored paper plane there was a different sentence in it, leading to him losing count of how many paper planes he's unfolded by around the 20th one.

"Mom's asking if you've done your homework."

He turns around to see Fengjun standing there, peaking from a small opening between the door and the doorframe.

"Er- yeah, sure," Junhui said dismissively in Chinese before remembering to ask something, "When did someone buy the house across the street?"

Fengjun blinks before his eyebrow scrunches up slightly, "What do you mean? No one's bought it since forever."

"But someone's living there. Haven't you noticed that the sign is gone now?"

"It has?"

Junhui lets out a sigh, "Never mind Fengjun, you should go to bed now."

"Okay, goodnight!" Fengjun calls out before running off to his room.

Now he was left alone again to ponder over his choices of what to do next since it was getting pretty late: he could either go through more paper planes and try to b.s. his notes for Physics in 15 minutes in the morning or he could take time and care into his notes and forget about the paper planes. For Junhui though, he knew that he couldn't just read them and go to bed, because the more he read them, the more he could tell how lonely whoever wrote them is.

By the time he did finally decide on reading more, he was trying to figure out what to write- which was a bit troublesome since he didn't have any fancy colored papers, so he went with white paper and blue ink.

Um... hi, how are you?
~ Dec. 23. 20XX

He stared at it before sighing, wondering what the hell he was doing exactly, but went with he couldn't ponder over it now that it's been done. He couldn't really fold a paper plane so he had to deal with folding it and taping it with a sticker of a bear from a sticker set he got from Fengjun.

Well... this is the best that I can do...  Junhui scratched the back of his head before deciding to go to bed now.