Jun. 30, 20XX

Of Paper Planes and Paper Hearts

It was starting to become a reoccurring theme that he was growing sick of by now. Junhui would always come over even though the sun was beating down on everyone during summer break, but nothing proceeded. Yewon would always welcome him into the house but he would only ever reach as far as the living room and the two would just sit in silence, both secretly hoping that maybe Jeonghan will come out today.

He never would.

According to Yewon, he's been more shut-in than before and she could never tell what he was trying to accomplish in there. Some days she would just spend the days worrying that she'll only be able to open the door once it's too late.

Junhui feared the idea of that too.

He lets out a sigh, looking around the living room that was currently empty as Yewon had to leave for a planned visit to her parents. He glances at the windows too, noticing that the sun was beginning to set as the curtains lets in peek of a soft-orange light beneath it. Junhui turned his gaze to the stairs behind the couch before deciding that checking wouldn't hurt as Yewon was probably staying for dinner considering the current time.

At least... I hope so... he slowly made his way upstairs, doubts still pounding at his mind as he remembered the sound of a fragile voice. His chest tightened when he remembered how oddly firm Jeonghan's voice was when he want to him last time. When he finally reached that closed door, he raised a hand to give a soft knock before noticing how his first knock made the door give way slightly. The pace of his heart quickened at this discovery, pushing against the door a little before it opened completely without interference.

The room would've been completely dark if it weren't for the artificial lights from the hallway. He would've the lights in Jeonghan's room too if his gaze hadn't landed on Jeonghan's curled up, sleeping figure on bed. As though he was in some sort of trance, Junhui slowly made his way over to his bed side before sitting down besides the bed. At this distance, he notices how relaxed Jeonghan looks even though his hair was splayed out and there were evident marks from tears rolling down his face. It was truly an odd but fitting sight for the long-haired boy as Junhui has only ever seen his frightened or panicked states.

"Why have you been crying today...?" Junhui asked softly, laying his chin on the bed as he stared at Jeonghan's sleeping face. He wondered if the long-haired boy could hear him in his sleep- the latter was extremely sensitive to sound. It didn't seem like such a trait applied as he didn't move at all except his chest that slowly rised and dropped with every breath.

"I wish... you didn't cry by yourself..." he continued to speak softly.

He reached a hand out as to smooth out Jeonghan's hair before stopping himself, his imagination working terribly at the thought of his touch lingering there enough for him to find Jeonghan scratching until his head bled or yank at his hair. Junhui grimaced, retracting his hand as his stomach churned at thinking of such images.

"... I wish you smiled instead..." Junhui realized at this point that he wanted to hold the boy in front of him- to protect him from all of the bad thoughts that attack him. He wanted to properly comfort him and wipe away any remains of tears from the already fragile boy's face. His hand drops onto the mattress right besides Jeonghan's curled up hand.

So close to touching yet so close to burning.

Junhui closed his eyes, trying to imagine happier images that would be plausible in the future; like the idea of heading to school with Jeonghan by his side, or maybe the idea of having fun at the beach with Jeonghan and his friends, or simply the day that he would finally see Jeonghan's smile. Yes, a simple smile or maybe a laugh.

I'm being too selfish... he figured that simply seeing his relaxed face like this would be enough for now.

"... I miss you."