The Jerk

Celebrity Girlfriend

₪₪₪₪₪

Hee wasn’t in yesterday so Namjoo never got to talk to her. The following day was a dramatic contrast. From the moment Namjoo woke up to the moment she went to sleep Hee was like a wild child dying with the desire to splurge on expensive brand name clothes, go out in public and announce to the world who Kim Namjoo was. Although Namjoo embraced her new title she was not yet used to the public eyes, so she stayed shut in. The imagery of strangers staring, whispering, pointing fingers made her awkward to the point she wasn’t sure whether to throw her arms open or hide. Being chased was certainly not in the pictures.

On the third day when she heard nothing from Hyunki, Namjoo was forced to go out to the neighborhood store to grab some groceries – they were running out of food at home and God it would be a miracle of Hee picked up the food for once. The walk to 7-Eleven was a joyride.

Kim Namjoo was an average B-type student. She wasn’t someone who caught eyes nor made head turns. Her confidence wasn’t that high. Yet, with little to no movement from her heads were already turning. Namjoo even heard gasping when she walked through the glass door.

Wary of watchful eyes, Namjoo shuffled right over to the freezer section. No more than a few seconds went by was she hastily wheeled around.

“Can I get a picture?” a rowdy teenage girl asked. Calling to her friend, “Hurry! Take one!”

Namjoo’s eyes inched with surprise when the camera flashed. Without even a thank you the ladies walked away excitedly yapping. Namjoo no better understood what just happened. Turning back to scan the selection of foods Namjoo debated from frozen steak or cheap crispy chicken.

A tap on the shoulder and, “You’re from TV. Can I get an autograph?”

No, not on TV yet she wanted to say. She hadn’t even received the script for the drama yet.

Into the eyes of the school boy she stared. Then a pad and pen made its way into her hands. Please sign he said. Declining would turn the situation awkward so Namjoo scribbled her name and handed the pad back. His eyes lit up and he bowed a grateful thanks before turning to leave. At the cash register the cashier gasped. “Are you Kai’s girlfriend? Oh my god, oh my god. I can’t believe you’re here!”

If she told the girl she lived nearby her house would become a freak attraction. On the way home Namjoo kept her head low, wishing she had worn a hat. People were staring. She prayed they wouldn’t follow her because she wasn’t quite used to being followed. It was weird because just yesterday she was some girl no one even paid attention to. As she passed she heard phone cameras going off. What was the big deal? She was just strolling by. Not doing a catwalk.

“Namjoo! Namjoo!” someone frantically called out.

Awkwardly waving Namjoo greeted, “Hi.”

“How is Kai doing? You’re so lucky,” a girl squealed running up to her.

Laughing uncomfortably Namjoo nodded and quickly turned away. She wasn’t going to answer.

“How did you two meet? Is he better looking in person? Are you meeting him today? Please, please, please tell me.” The girl begged.

“No.”

“Really? Then when? When? When?” She leaned in so close Namjoo felt her hot breath bouncing off her cheek. Did she know nothing about personal space? The urge to brush her off was strong. Namjoo was no celebrity…yet. Why were people annoying already?

“No comment.” Namjoo mumbled.

Cussing Kai underneath her breath she shuffled the rest of the way home.

₪₪₪₪₪

For three days Jongin did nothing at home. He felt like a corpse in the living. He’d lay down in his bed for hours watching shows off his phone then he’d go into the kitchen, sit and let his mind wander then move into the living room where he’d lay on the couch and watch TV a few more hours.

The CEO finally called him in the next afternoon. Chanyeol was bright and early at his doorstep, IPad in hand.

“What are you, writing on the go?” Jongin asked closing the door after him.

“Catching up with news,” Chanyeol said. “Do you want to look?”

Eyes narrowing on the van, “No.”

“You sure?” Chanyeol incited. “There was a hashtag trending since yesterday.”

He glanced at the manager through the corner of his eye feigning arrogance, but he was curious. “What is it?”

“Here,” Chanyeol handed the IPad over.

Jongin took it and stopped when he saw #celebritygirlfriend. Scrolling down and down and down he saw numerous pictures of Namjoo on the street. And what was she wearing? Ugly gray sweats and a stained t-shirt. The corner of his mouth literally twitched. Did she really walk around looking like that? As his girlfriend?!

He nearly slammed his face into his palm.

“I thought there might be mixed reviews about her, but people seem pretty interested that she’s so normal,” Chanyeol commented to receive Jongin’s grim stare. Clearing his throat he held out his hand, “Can I have that back?”

“I didn’t even want to touch it,” Jongin roughly pushed it into the manger’s hands before opening the door to the vehicle closing it loudly after him.

This time Chanyeol parked the car in the lot of the company. Jongin entered through the back entrance, rode the elevator up to the second floor, and walked into the conference room. It was a large room decked with tables and chairs as well as a large standard clock on the wall. Just a plain blue room for script reviewing and whatever talks needed to be made outside of the office.

To his dismay, they were the first ones there. Pulling out a seat Jongin slumped down while waiting for the others. Chanyeol invited himself to a chair behind him.

“You think we should have picked her up?” Chanyeol wondered.

“You her manager or something?” Jongin turned around to frown.

“What if she has no means of transportation?” Chanyeol asked.

“Then that’s her problem,” Jongin spat. “Why are you worried?”

“It’ll be a problem for you if she gets harassed,” Chanyeol pointed out. Running his hand through mid-air, “Big star Kai shows no interest in new girlfriend. Are they already breaking up? That would be big news.”

Narrowing his eyes, Jongin accused, “Did Hyunki pay you to get on my nerves?”

Smiling, Chanyeol lightheartedly shrugged then he quickly stood up as Bae Hyunki entered the room with Seo Yul on her tail.

“Look who’s early,” Hyunki noted then she glanced around. “And Namjoo?”

Jongin wanted to shrug but he just sat there. Chanyeol spoke instead, “Looks like she’s not here yet.”

Twisting her wrist to glance at the heavy watch she wore at all times, she worried, “I should’ve got someone to pick her up.”

Chanyeol shot Jongin a knowing glance. As if noticing, Hyunki intentionally asked, “You haven’t heard from her?”

Jongin about wondered why he needed to care but then remember Seo Yul was there as well. Shaking his head, “No.”

“We’ll just have to wait for her,” Seo Yul said taking a seat.

Repressing a sigh Jongin glanced at the clock then transitioned to tapping fingers against the tabletop. Next, he slid lower in his seat when he thought Hyunki and the writer wasn’t looking. A few minutes later he heard heavy panting and hurried footsteps coming from outside the door. Namjoo finally burst into the doorway minutes later looking like a mess. Immediately, he narrowed his eyes at her. At least she had the decency not to come in her ugly sweats or stained shirt.

“Sorry! I’m sorry! Am I late?” she breathed.

As if she needed to ask. Jongin rolled his eyes.

“Come in, at least you’re here. Come take a seat,” Hyunki invited.

Namjoo stepped in while trying to catch her breath and took a seat nearest the door.

“Could you go over by Jongin?” Hyunki wondered.

“Huh?” Namjoo, still panting heavily, glanced at him. He wanted to if she’d run the mile then ask if she was just that unfit. “Oh, sure.” Getting up she walked over to him and slid into the chair beside his.

“All right, now that we’re here,” Seo Yul stood up from where she had been sitting. Pulling some stapled papers out from her bag she set them before Jongin and Namjoo. “I put a lot of thought into this, I hope you’ll like it. I’ll be presenting Taehyung the draft tomorrow as he’s overseas right now. It would have been nice for us all to meet today.”

Jongin’s brow almost twitched. He would have cursed if Taehyung showed up looking all smug and better than him.

“We’ll be seeing him next week for the photoshoot, too,” Hyunki reminded. “It won’t be too late.”

Jongin could groan again, but crossed his arms.

“We’ll have the script finalized for the script reading scheduled next week. The shooting will start immediately,” Seo Yul explained. “We’ll walk you through the process,” she spoke to Namjoo, “so that it won’t be too strange for you.” Then she grinned, “You also have Kai to help you.”

This time, Jongin quietly sighed. He foresaw frustration and trouble with Namjoo already. Filming was exhausting and already they wanted him to help her every step of the way through. If Namjoo wanted to do this, she should already be up for the challenges ahead. Better yet, withdraw because he still couldn’t see her acting in front of the camera. She’d be an unnatural clutz and ruin the script – his show.

“The story will be about a famous screenwriter who is taking a break from her work. You know sometimes writers need a break in order to replenish their imaginations. In the drama, you’ve decided to take a break,” she explained to Namjoo, “and while doing so, you’ve picked up ballet lessons – a short lived career of yours before screenwriting. Then comes along Kai,” she gestured to Jongin, “who has been introduced to your company to learn some ballet for an upcoming movie. There, you two will meet continuously and develop an affair but,” Seo Yul looked them both in the eyes, “the problem is that Namjoo’s character has a boyfriend, which will obviously be played by Taehyung.”

Jongin almost broke out laughing. Her idea of a story was jealousy and love? What a cliché! Who in their right mind would get jealous over someone like Namjoo? She was even more unlikeable if she already had a boyfriend. And if she already had one, this wouldn’t be happening.

Why not just call quit now?

“Are you two all right with intimacy?” Seo Yul wondered.

Nearly choking on air, Jongin asked shocked, “What?!”

Namjoo’s expression contorted with disgust. They turned to look at each other. When they turned away they scooted their chairs away from each other discreetly.

“If it’s required for the drama, it’s no problem,” Hyunki assured for them. Jongin’s eyes grew stern but the CEO ignored him. “They’re a sweet couple if you saw them alone.” She glanced at them. “Right?”

He wanted to throw his hand over Namjoo’s mouth when she awkwardly laughed to shut her up. She was just inciting Hyunki to allow the worst. He would not, could not, no way, never touch Namjoo intimately.

“Then that’s perfect,” Seo Yul grinned.

Perfect? Perfect his .

Jongin wanted to scream.

Everything about this upcoming drama was wrong! From every angle to every detail written. He wanted to tear up the sheets of paper, shred it to bits. How could Namjoo sit there and do nothing? Did she really want to do this with him?!

“Then should we go through the script?” Seo Yul suggested.

The dreadful next hour and a half was spent reading their lines every so often pausing to correct Namjoo on her tone of voice, telling her to add this or that emotion. Script reading took so long that Jongin merely wanted to twist Namjoo’s neck and tell her to get it right. Was she a robot?!

Then finally at long last they were set free. Bae Hyunki and Seo Yul left the room talking about future drama promotions.

“Was that so hard?” Jongin turned to Namjoo.

She shot him a glare. “I bet you were just as bad or even worse when you started. Don’t point your ugly finger at me.”

Scoffing, “I was trained!”

“That doesn’t mean you were a professional.” Namjoo snapped then turned to Chanyeol. “Am I right?”

“Well, you aren’t wrong.”

Jongin turned to shoot Chanyeol a warning with his eyes. Turning back to Namjoo, “Let me warn you Miss-Celebrity-Wannabe, if you want to be a star you better make your schedules on time. Do you know how long you held us up today? That’s a negative for you. The next time around, Hyunki won’t be telling you to come in and sit. She’d be telling you not to even bother.”

“Me?” Namjoo inquired sarcastically with hand pressed against her chest. “Oh, are you interested in why I’m late Mr. Superstar? Oh no, I’m wrong. Mr. Kim-I-Am-So-Great.” She narrowed her eyes at him. Jabbing her finger into his shoulder, “Next time, tell your freaking wannabe-girlfriends to leave me alone. I was nearly trampled to death today on the street.”

Jongin rolled his eyes. “Don’t exaggerate your desire for attention. I know what you were doing.”

Namjoo scoffed.

“You intentionally put yourself all over the internet yesterday,” Jongin accused. “Look, if you want attention at least look good! You’re so embarrassing, who’d want to call you theirs.”

Her frown grew tense. “What?”

Jongin turned to Chanyeol, “Show her your IPad. Apparently, someone is so hidden their cave they have no clue what goes on around them.”

Pulling out his tablet Chanyeol handed it over to Namjoo. Jongin watched her scroll through it with eyes of fascination.

“How’d they get these up so fast?” Namjoo wondered. “I only went to 7-Eleven yesterday. Why are there so many pictures?”

“Don’t act up,” Jongin said.

Namjoo looked at him with annoyance. Shoving the IPad back toward Chanyeol while eyes sat on him angrily, she vented, “Oh yes, you’re right. I wanted the attention. I wanted to tell everyone I am Kim Kai’s girlfriend. Do you know what I announced to everyone yesterday? I am the girlfriend everyone envies. Have you watched TV? Have you seen our press conference? Did you see the way he held me?” she intentionally leaned forward and touched his torso. “He likes me so much it’s kind of suffocating. Jongin is such a lover.”

He swat her hand away like a fly. “Don’t touch me.”

“Well, who touched me first?” Namjoo asked. Crossing her arms, “Look at this fool who thinks he did nothing.”

“I did nothing to you!”

Namjoo narrowed her eyes at him. “You touched me that night.”

His face flashed red. Eyes scurried over to Chanyeol who looked on curiously. Touching her had just been an accident that night, but like hell he would admit to that in front of the lanky manager. No one needed to know what went down that night.

“Shut up,” he warned leaning forward to cup his hand over . Namjoo muffled a cuss against his palm. Glancing at Chanyeol he said, “You’re not leaving?”

“But I need to drive you back.” Chanyeol reminded.

“Forget that. Get out of here,” Jongin gestured his head toward the doorway. The manager obediently stood up and left the room. Once the door was closed Jongin withdrew his hand and wiped it against the table. “Disgusting.”

“What a jerk you are,” Namjoo said. “Your hand is nasty.”

Crossing his arms and leaning back into his chair he said, “I didn’t do anything to you that night.”

“All men like denying their doings,” Namjoo informed. “Make a woman angry; oh I didn’t do that, you’re just moody. Cheat on a woman; I didn’t mean to. Get a woman pregnant; it’s an accident, are you sure it’s mine? not good; that’s your fault.”

“What the hell are you making me out to be?” Jongin asked.

“Uh, I don’t know. An ?” Namjoo shrugged.

“Then you’ve sure met a lot of asses,” Jongin commented.

“And I’m sure you’re not any different,” Namjoo said.

They went quiet for a split moment.

Jongin broke the silence with his somber, “Sure, I’m an .”

“I’m just joking.”

Standing up Jongin muttered, “Whatever.”

₪₪₪₪₪

Flinging her bag onto the couch Namjoo muttered, “Gosh, he makes me feel like a jerk!”

Behind her the door flung open and Hee shrieked, “Oh my god! You won’t believe this!”

“What?!” Namjoo snapped turning around. Her emotions softened when she noted the box clutched between Hee’s arms and the card in her hand. “From your new lover?”

“No! They’re for you!” Hurrying over Hee handed them to her. “Open them! I want to see what’s inside.”

Setting the box down onto the couch Namjoo opened the dark red envelope and pulled out a single card. On it scrawled in red letters from what she assumed was paint read I love you. Frowning, Namjoo picked the box back up and pulled open the lid. A heinous shriek bellowed from upon seeing rotten roses and maggots. Dashing past Hee she wrung open the door and tossed the box outside.

Slamming the door she turned to Hee, “That was not funny.”

“I…I didn’t know,” Hee stammered flustered. “They were sitting right in the mailbox.”

Namjoo glanced toward the doorway. “It’s probably from some freak.”


***Uh-oh, bad sign for Namjoo