The One Who Likes You

Celebrity Girlfriend

“Well,” Hyunki looked away as if guilty herself, “then I won’t push it. The reporters will still want to talk to you.”

Namjoo nodded.

“There’s a red carpet event this Friday. I hope no more unwanted news breaks out. An important film maker will be visiting, so I hope you both don’t disappoint,” Hyunki instructed.

₪₪₪₪₪

Namjoo spent many hours that morning apologizing to the production and filming crew. Drowned in shame and guilt she promised herself to work hard no matter what others may see her as. A large part of the day was spent sitting alone and staring at her script. She saw Taehyung from afar several times, but couldn’t bring herself to really say anything. She wasn’t really angry nor did she hate him. She just didn’t know how to treat him now.

Only Jongin treated her like normal. At lunch, he snatched her jacket from where it’d been strewn on her chair. She shot up to snatch it back, but he held it above her head laughing. Playfully slapping him she yanked her jacket back and ran off with him chasing.

Thursday night Minseok finally got his interview.

“Does he want to partake in the interview too?” Minseok gestured toward Jongin who was four tables behind them.

They had agreed to meet up in a coffee shop, their usual meetup place. They were due back for filming after the interview. Jongin had wanted to tag along just because and it wasn’t like Namjoo could shake him off her tail.

“He’s just my ride,” Namjoo assured. “He won’t listen in on us.”

Raising a brow, Minseok nodded. “So tell me about your childhood and this friend of yours.”

Entwining fingers together Namjoo wove a story she’d practiced with Jongin in the car several times this past week. Hee discovered her in an alley as a toddler all alone – a toddler, Jongin had said, because at that age you rarely recall any memories when you grow older. While Hee worked or more like tried to find work, Namjoo waited under a makeshift home built of discarded cardboard boxes. While starving through wind, unbearably hot days the two of them struggled to survive pennilessly wearing the same clothes for ages. They found a warmer home during the colder weathers when Namjoo grew older with Hee begging for work and a place for her younger sister to stay. Hee finally managed to enroll her into a class when she got hired as a cleaner at a nightclub while bearing dangerous situations – Namjoo’s best addition to the made-up story. Hee went out constantly anyway, it would only make sense if she was recognized. So she graduated high school and finally met Jongin one day after losing her job. End of story.

₪₪₪₪₪

That was really a woeful tale. Minseok had no impression. It just sounded too…pitiful. This cheeriness sprouting from Namjoo wherever she went wouldn’t come from such a poor childhood. She would, he assumed, rather be a traumatized and sad youth. She was here b with happy energy that didn’t make for a child who had struggled.

Two and two didn’t fit, but he wouldn’t press Namjoo on it. Pressing her for the truth wouldn’t get him the truth. He’d have to wait to find this woman Hee and watch Namjoo a little longer. She was just too bubbly for him to believe her story.

He had to admit though, that Jongin stuck real close by her side as if he didn’t want something to slip. Being careful, was he? Well, Minseok would find the truth eventually.

₪₪₪₪₪

“Do you think he believed it?” Namjoo asked as they walked back to Jongin’s car.

“If you told him the way I told you to,” Jongin assured. “He should. He’s just a gossip reporter.”

“I don’t think he’s that bad,” Namjoo said.

Jongin turned to glance at her, “You don’t know him. Don’t ever trust reporters. They’ll backstab you.”

He pulled the passenger door open and waited for her to get in.

“Then he would have backstabbed me by now,” Namjoo said.

“Maybe he’s still in the process of it,” Jongin raised a brow.

“I still think he wouldn’t.”

“Like Taehyung?”

Namjoo’s gaze grew stern.

“Sorry,” he apologized.

“You really have to do that all the time, don’t you?” she asked.

“Then,” he stepped closer to her to pin her against the car, “just tell me if you were jealous.”

She would never admit it. Keeping her lips sealed shut she just stared back. Jongin her cheek with a finger teasingly. “Then get in, we’ll be late.”

When he walked away Namjoo in a breath to calm her racing heart.

₪₪₪₪₪

Filming continued late into the night. The director’s goal was to get as many scenes in as possible for the following week’s episode. That meant a lot of switching locations for filming, running to one area, packing up equipment and racing off to another place. Tiresome.

The crew was still cleaning up and leaving equipment for the day when he found his way to Namjoo’s dressing room. Their managers were waiting at the assigned cars exhausted and tomorrow would just be another exhausting day part two. They had a red carpet event plus filming. He waited for Namjoo to step out.

“Oh !” she halted at the door when she spotted him. “Gosh, what are you doing? I thought everybody left.”

“Everybody but me,” he grinned.

She eyed him, “What are you up to?”

“Nothing,” he leaned against the makeup counter, “I just wanted to see you before tomorrow.”

She frowned at him and grabbed her jacket off the nearby chair. “Ok, you’ve seen me. Bye.”

“Can I get a goodnight kiss?” he asked.

She turned back to glance at him. If only she understood how much he wanted to touch her or how far his feelings could go for her, then maybe she wouldn’t even have anything to say. After she kissed him that one day he always wanted to kiss her.

Namjoo peered around for anybody watching and quickly stepped forward. His eyes closed when she kissed him and left without saying anything.

Jongin merely fist pumped the air when he flew into his chair seconds later.

“You have too much sugar or something?” Chanyeol turned around feeling the van rock as Jongin closed the door.

“It’s nothing,” Jongin said. After a second he turned to Chanyeol, “Say, do you have any wood?”

“What do you want it for?”

“My fireplace.”

The manager swerved around in his chair with a deep frown, “You haven’t touched that thing in ages.”

“I want it for tomorrow.”

“Why?” Chanyeol wondered.

“Just because.”

₪₪₪₪₪

They filmed just one scene each that morning then was rushed off to the salon. Separating on the second floor the assigned stylists worked on their makeup. That took an hour including getting hair done. Then they headed downstairs for their gowns.

“What is this red event?” Namjoo asked. They were going in his van, obviously they had to go together if they were a couple.

“Red carpet event,” Jongin corrected.

“Well, whatever,” Namjoo rolled her eyes.

“It’s just for film makers and an opportunity for brand designers to come together to market all their stuff. Big media thing blah blah blah,” Jongin smiled.

“Blah blah blah,” Namjoo frowned.

“Don’t even worry about it,” Jongin assured. “You just have to hold my hand, smile, and wave. For a few hours at least.”

“Huh,” Namjoo didn’t sound impressed.

Jongin could foresee it. An extending massive red carpet, reporters and fans on each end of the fancy security rope, every camera assaulting them with flashes. Then they’d stand on the makeshift stage for pictures, wave, yes hello everyone, and move off for the main event, socialize, eat, drink, and then call it a night. And it was just that.

Fans started screaming when his van came to a full stop at the end of the red carpet. Opening the door he first stepped out and extended a hand back for Namjoo. They would get many glorious photos taken today. Turning from one side to another patiently he broadened his grin and waved just like his many years had taught him to. Leaning close to him, Namjoo copied his movements slowly walking alongside him. Reaching the platform, they climbed on and turned to face the cameras posing for more pictures.

Chanyeol met with them in the building after parking the van and followed them to greet movie makers, high end fashion designers, and renowned actors and actresses. Champagne was passed around and many hands shook. Jongin didn’t know many of the people talking to him, but he received invitations for auditions for upcoming movie roles. He even introduced Namjoo proudly showing her off. She giggled awkwardly and bowed when she shook hands. And through it all, she held onto him.

“How much longer?” Namjoo wondered snacking by the exquisite foods prepared by expensive chefs.

“It’d be rude to leave this early,” Jongin whispered.

“Isn’t it suffocating here?” Namjoo asked looking around the large ballroom. The lights above were too bright and the chandelier too sparkly. The entire room buzzed with life, food, smells of various perfumes mixed together from old men and women alike. He smiled and moved a little closer to her.

“No, I’m fine,” he replied.

“Isn’t it the CEO’s point to hook you up with a movie producer here?” she looked around, eyes landing on bald heads. “Wow, did you see that guy’s suit? I wonder where he got it from.”

She chewed on a cracker and laughed to herself. Seeing that smile made his lips curve up. He waited it out with her shook some more hands and finally bid farewell when the evening started closing. Chanyeol gave them a ride back to the salon where they changed into their clothes. By the time Namjoo stepped out Chanyeol was already long gone.

They were finally alone.

Taking her hand, he led her outside, “I want to go somewhere with you.”

“To where?” she wondered clueless. “It’s late. I was going to go home. Where’s your manager?”

Letting go of her hand he walked over to his car across the street and unlocked it. “Get in.”

₪₪₪₪₪

If there was one thing about being a reporter, patience was somewhere at the top of the list. The celebrities had a long event tonight, so he would use this time to stake out new celebrity Kim Namjoo’s home. He’d been waiting since last night, but only one person had returned home. That was Kim Namjoo. Then where was the other woman?

Minseok would wait for her. He wanted to find out about her. She might know something about her celebrity sister and her celebrity boyfriend.

When the cab pulled up to the side of the home Minseok sat up in his chair. The figure leaving the vehicle was definitely a woman and she looked just like the woman plastered across the article. Minseok was determined on dissecting every detail of Namjoo’s life.

“Miss Kim,” Minseok loudly greeted stepping out of his car, eager to catch the woman called Hee before she reached her front door.

The woman tall in stilettos turned. She had a fine body and long straight hair, but obviously looked older than her house mate. All that makeup on her face was quickly reaching its expiration date. And she smelled of strong alcohol. That suited Namjoo’s story of her working in a nightclub but in this attire… Minseok ran his eyes over her skin-tight dress. Then on the other hand, Namjoo’s story might not match so much.

Consider a woman working in a night club. She’d face harassment nightly. After being well-off, would that said woman return to a night club?

Logically, no. Said woman would seek a better life, improve herself. Namjoo’s story was a dud.

Extending his hand, “I’m reporter Kim Minseok.”

“Reporter?” she looked interested.

“Mind if we speak a moment?” Minseok asked. “Or if you want, we could go somewhere comfortable.”

₪₪₪₪₪

Tilting her head Namjoo peered up at the street lights passing like lone angels in the dark. Then she turned to Jongin.

“Where are we going?” she wondered.

She recognized the scenery of a waterfront, the long bridge connecting both sides of Seoul and the busy life that required crossing it. Tonight, lights were abundant but the lot of where they were nearby was severely empty. Although in the distance Namjoo spotted several other cars. Dark waves loomed ahead, scarily but prettily in the day.

“Hmm…so we’re night watching,” Namjoo pressed her lips together and stared out into the beyond. “Ok, impressive.”

Jongin watched her then scoffed.

Reaching for the door Namjo about opened it but Jongin touched her arm. “Lets just stay in here.”

“Why?” she asked. “There’s fresh air outside.”

“I’d rather be with you.”

Namjoo turned and stared down at the skirt she was wearing. Her tennis shoes were old but still in good shape. She wore them in case the heels she had to wear to the red carpet event made her sore. Merely a plain Jane beside Jongin she suddenly felt little.

Her heart breath shot up when he leaned over to drape his sweater over her legs.

“Jongin,” she breathed his name. Her hand brushed his shoulder. Freezing, she looked at him then away wondering why she’d done so. “Lets open the windows.”

He looked at her funny but did as asked. Biting her lip, she poked her fingers through the tiny opening and felt the wind brush her skin. Jongin was being weird and it was making her weird, too. What was he up to? Namjoo tried to come up with something smart to do that wouldn’t make her seem dumb.

Sitting back in her chair she turned to find Jongin watching her with a content smile on his face.

“What?” she asked and felt herself burn up. Worried she touched her face, “Is there something on my face?”

“Yea, there’s something on your face,” he said then leaned forward. Holding her breath as he moved in their skin seared when he kissed her. She in his breath and closed her eyes upon his touch. The next moment she opened her eyes to hear him say, “This.”

“Jongin…” she managed to say but reached up to touch his arm anyway. She liked his affection but she felt something else, too. With any other men, it didn’t matter, but with Jongin it was different.

“Spend tonight with me,” he airily whispered, his lips lingering across hers. It was torturing and Namjoo nearly kissed him but she didn’t move. She wasn’t sure she had to courage to be any more intimate with him, so she waited.

A gasp shot out of her when more than half his torso leaned across the gear to kiss her, pressing her into the chair. She clutched onto his arm and then hugged him, opening for him. She whimpered then felt him move toward her neck, leaving a trail of his moist kisses across her cheek. Trying not to moan because it wasn’t necessary she arched her s up into him.

“Lets go to my house,” he whispered into her ear moving back. Left with yearning, Namjoo only stared at him. She was insane, but it was happening.

₪₪₪₪₪

His fire place was blazing when they made it in through the door. He’d sped down the road, parked crookedly, and pulled her after him toward the building. Slamming the door shut he feverishly kissed her against it and worked to kick off his shoes. He liked the roaming of her hands as she tugged the shirt out of his pants.

Breathing hard against her lips his fingers rushed to snap the buttons of her blouse loose. Pulling the shirt open he traced a hand across her smooth skin, humming while tenderly touching her lips. Namjoo clung onto him as he backed them toward his wide sectional couch letting him drop her down with legs wrapped around his waist.

Hugging him tight to feel the between his legs, her hands scurried through his hair touching and pulling. Burying his face into her hair he listened to her whine beneath him. A button popped off his shirt but he didn’t mind. Their mouths met again and they abruptly rolled over. Jongin landed with a thud on his back, felt the surprise seep through his momentarily blank mind. He came to when Namjoo on his pulse and finally managed to draw his shirt open.

Jongin may have been eager to get her in bed, but he felt he wouldn’t regret it. He may have not gotten the confession he wanted, but he was sure he wouldn’t regret it either. He liked Namjoo and he wanted to get to know her in all different ways possible. He was positive a part of her longed for him, too. Baring his emotions to her might allow him into her world because he wanted to be so much closer to her than he already was.

The sensation of her fingers traveling over his body in exploration made his mind dizzy. Tracing a hand down her waist he felt her thigh. Running his hand back up he dug his fingers into her hair and hungrily reached up to kiss her. His other hand busied with yanking her shirt off and then feeling for her bra. It was thin material. Maybe white. Namjoo snatched his hand and kissed it sending electric shocks through the most intimate part of him.

They rolled over while at the same time he unhooked her bra and she pulled his shirt off. The flames flickered from his left, warming him. He could feel the soft of her s under him, those legs around his body, and her warm center waiting. Jongin stared down at her all so beautiful. Softly kissing her sent his mind keeling.

“J…Jongin wait,” she touched his shoulder.

He waited, but she said nothing more. Those wonderfully big eyes of hers stared up at him and he saw himself in them.

“I like you,” he brushed his fingers through her hair, “can’t you feel the same?”

Her lips moved as if trying to utter sound. His heart raced in anticipation when the hand on his shoulder moved to touch his neck. Then her fingers brushed his jawline.

“I like you.”


***SCREAMS