All I'll Have

Celebrity Girlfriend

Stepping toward the unfamiliar faces he asked, “Have you,” he thought for a second, “seen my girlfriend?”

“That way,” someone pointed down his left.

Frowning, Jongin turned to head off in the appointed direction. What the hell was Namjoo up to? If she was going to cause him trouble she’d better not do it in public. If she wanted food, why couldn’t she just stay still?

Jongin sought the deep crowd ahead of him for any sign of Namjoo, someone in a black hat. He kept trotting, still no one familiar. Was Namjoo just that short or did she blend that easily into the crowd of simple people?

He paused again to inquire if anyone had seen Namjoo passing this way. Instead of helping they shrieked that Kai was here. Unhelpful, he continued ahead. If they said she was someone along this road she should be here! Just where had Namjoo gone?!

₪₪₪₪₪

The one thing Namjoo disliked most other than Kim Kai, she hated bullies. While waiting for her fulfilling burger to complete she had taken just one glance behind her to see a group of young kids tugging another one with them. By their body language, Namjoo knew what they were up to. Because once, in a tale years ago she had been bullied too.

She stalked the kids until they stopped nearby the Shinsegae Department Store. They were young boys dressed in what she thought was high-end hip-pop clothes that separated them from the rich kids at school. They were a little lower than rich kids, a little higher than the simpletons who studied well. Maybe they smoked, swigged their parents’ liquors when they were out of town. They were that kind of cool. Most of all, they managed to cheat after stealing notes from the nerds of their class.

Ah, high schoolers she thought. She didn’t miss high school.

She observed the frail boy in glasses with them, the one standing in the middle. The three boys around him had sturdy build not like they were built of six packs and bulging biceps. They were just bigger, healthier in size and of course, without glasses. Was the frail boy a wannabe? Tagged along willingly? Or had he been caught like a mouse in a trap? Namjoo leaned toward the latter.

She watched them shove the boy in glasses, their gaze dark and strict. Shove him again. One more time. That was it.

“Hey!” Namjoo shouted. They turned her way. The kids were her height and as they say, pick on someone your own size. “What are you kids up to?”

Stepping toward them she broke their circle and stood adjacent to the boy in glasses. His gaze was lowered, eyes fluttering as if ashamed of something.

“I don’t think you were a part of this,” the tough boy in front of her crossed his arms.

An arm flung around her neck, “Do you want to ride along?”

Moving his arm off from around her Namjoo glanced at his small mohawk, “Kids, kids, kids. You’re not in the age to be entertaining me.”

The boys shared laughter, mocking her. “She’s kinda ugly, but look at her .”

Namjoo scoffed in disbelief. Hands on hips she lectured, “When I was your age, boys said the same thing. Does it bother me? Hell yea, but I could ing care less. Boys, now let me tell you something, you think laughing at someone makes you feel powerful. That means one thing and listen very well. You’re bitter, you’re insecure, you hate yourself.”

The boys quieted then they cackled like hyenas. Namjoo bit her tongue and breathed a hot breath when the nearest coyly her cheek with a finger.

“Aww…looks who’s hurt? Have mommy problems?” he teased. He glanced at his friends and they laughed once more.

Namjoo about threw her head back, scream yea but she wasn’t ashamed. She wasn’t embarrassed, was no longer embarrassed about her mother not wanting to be a mother. She felt other things but that was no one’s problem to talk about.

She would have snagged his arm, twisted it behind his back but someone interrupted. And she recognized the voice immediately.

“What’s going on?” Jongin called out from behind. She turned to see him walking their way then turned back around trying not to roll her eyes.

“Oh , I know him. He’s an actor,” one of the boys muttered.

“ it, lets go,” his other friend muttered. And just like that they all scrambled off. Namjoo would have chased them to finish her dues, but then Jongin had stepped up.

“What are you doing?” he asked her then eyed the boy in glasses behind her.

Heaving a sigh, Namjoo lifted up a leg and pulled off her shoe. She pulled out a twenty-dollar bill and handed it to the frail boy. “Take a cab home.”

Jongin stared at her with incredulity. When the boy in glasses scurried off Jongin asked, “You said you were broke. What the hell was that?”

Namjoo shrugged, “Always gotta be ready in case, you know, something happens. Lessons you’ll learn in life.”

Jongin scoffed. “What are you, playing wonder woman out here?”

“I could gladly play wonder woman,” Namjoo shrugged again with her arms out.

Jongin rolled his eyes and turned to walk away. Namjoo ran after him, “My burger!”

₪₪₪₪₪

Along the trek back toward Jongin’s vehicle Namjoo miraculously dragged him into a bbq restaurant. Namjoo naturally began ordering their serving plates, the meat, and water and about asked for a bottle of soju which Jongin immediately shut down.

“Are you out of your mind?” he carefully hissed in an undertone voice. “You’re not drinking.”

“Not getting drunk,” Namjoo corrected. “I bet you’d like some.”

“I’m driving.” He quickly retaliated which made Namjoo press her lips together, because that was too good of an excuse.

A plate of their meat arrived and Namjoo eagerly set it on the grill. Her stomach growled upon listening to the mouthwatering sizzle. She quickly flipped the meat impatiently. Jongin watched her every move like an officer his suspect.

“Have you been starving or something?” he muttered.

She only glanced at him before turning attention back to the meat. A shadow from over his shoulder then the legs of the seat beside him noisily scraped against the floor as the chair was pulled back. The heavyset eyes of a thin man landed on him curiously. The weight of his hand landed upon Namjoo’s shoulder, seemed to push her down. The hand trickled over her nape like a spider before the arm s around the width of her shoulders.

“Namjoo!” he noisily greeted, voice hoarse and breathing cigarettes into her face. Namjoo turned away for air. “What do we have here? You’re alone today!” he peered around, “Hee isn’t with you.”

“Of course she’s not,” Namjoo mumbled.

“Missed ya pair lately. You’re not coming out to play?” the man pushed and shoved her away playfully like he was swinging her back and forth, back and forth.

Namjoo thought she could use that alcohol right now.

“Ya used to come play a lot, as a pair. I miss Hee more though, you know.” He said then laughed as if recalling some memory in faraway land.

Ignoring him, Namjoo made a quick wrap for herself and chewed long and slow, gaze set ahead because she didn’t want to look at his ugly face. She knew him all right but she wished she didn’t know him. He was a fan of Hee’s and she didn’t like Hee’s fans. Arrogant scums of the earth. Now her good mood had soured.

“You get on with what you’re doing then. Tell Hee I give her my greetings,” the man tapped her shoulder as if they were longtime friends bidding his farewell. Sliding out of his chair he staggered toward his friends waiting by the door. They were looking at her with devilish smiles.

“He one of the asses you know?” Jongin wondered.

“He’s just an ,” Namjoo leaned forward to focus on her meat.

The drive back to her place was silent so was the rest of their meal. Jongin barely muttered a word to her, didn’t even inquire for more about that smelly man. Maybe he knew or guessed or perhaps, even better yet, wasn’t curious because that would be crossing over into her world. Neither of them planned on that she knew.

“Thanks,” Namjoo muttered when he parked across the road from her home.

Hee would be out, hanging with her new man or some friends at a new night attraction. Might not make it home. Namjoo was used to it. She about unlocked her door when someone appeared from her right.

Kim Minseok.

“Saw you coming down the road.” Minseok was with that usual aura of friendliness. Yet, she still wondered whether he was friend or foe. “If you’ve no plans, want to go for some coffee?”

Namjoo thought about it for a few seconds then she glanced up behind the reporter. Jongin split them up a second later, standing between them.

“She’s not allowed to.” Jongin stated.

“But I was talking to her.” Minseok reminded.

Namjoo could barely glance over Jongin’s shoulder to see Minseok. She leaned toward the side to find the reporter.

Jongin interrupted her, “Open the door. Go in.”

A brow burrowed deep into her eye when she glanced up at him. Why was he ordering her around all of a sudden? Now she wanted to go off with Minseok. Coffee sounded nice.

When Jongin glanced back at her Namjoo hissed a breath. Connecting the key with the knob she opened the door and stepped in expecting to close it behind her, but Jongin planted his palm against the wood and followed her, eyes still on Minseok. Then the door closed.

Namjoo huffed a puff of air, “Uh…I think I made myself very clear before to never step into my home ever again.”

Jongin glanced at her as if annoyed, as if she was in the wrong. Walking past her he made himself comfortable on her couch. Namjoo stood there as if the more she protested Jongin would get up to leave.

He didn’t.

Biting her lower lip and mumbling to herself she walked into the living room, stared down at him. “What do you want?”

“Does he come here often?” Jongin asked.

Hands on hips, Namjoo huffed again, “Why? Are you going to tell on me? That I meet up with a reporter?”

“You’re not supposed to!” Jongin bellowed, eyes strict on her. “Do you want to know what kind of reporter he is?! He’s going to follow you around until he shreds this charade apart. Do you know what will happen then? Do I need to spell it out for you?” he waited a second, “He’s after you! Me!”

Namjoo thought about this. “But do you know him?”

“Of course!” Jongin grounded his tone very well.

“What, you think I’ll give you away?” Namjoo asked.

“Looking at you, I’m very sure.”

Namjoo felt like scoffing at his low faith in her but she was out of fuel, even though she’d just eaten. Still sour from that man talking about Hee like an object.

“Get out of my house,” Namjoo said. “And don’t come here again.”

Jongin hissed then looked away. “Not until I have your word that you’ll stop seeing that reporter.”

“And not until I have your word you’ll stop coming around here,” Namjoo retaliated. “So you leave first.”

He breathed, “You’re kidding me.”

“I kid you not,” Namjoo mumbled.

“You first,” he bargained.

Namjoo stared down at him hard. She refused. “Like hell.”

“Then I’ll sit here until you do,” Jongin stubbornly said.

Namjoo pressed her lips together even more annoyed. Then she threw her head back and let out a groan. She half wanted to bolt out the door and go after Hee, tell her not to fool with the scums of the earth tonight. Then the other part of her…just wanted to sleep because she was frustrated unknowingly.

Giving up she dropped to the floor and just sat. Quiet wove around them gently.

“For the last time, get out of my house,” Namjoo turned to look at Jongin. “Everyone will notice you around here, if you don’t yet know. Hee’s imagination will run wild, she’ll think we’re serious. You want her asking you for any single friends you have? And I don’t want people to come knocking on my door every hour of the day. Freaking bothersome. I don’t live on some private estate like you. Sheesh.” She rubbed her foot subconsciously. Now staring at the table, “Fine, I won’t talk to Minseok. Good enough?”

“Who is she?” Jongin wondered. “This Hee. Your sister? Aunt? Cousin?”

Namjoo sat there silently, wondering if she was hearing right. That Jongin was asking her a question. She turned back to look at him. He waited, eyes on her. Namjoo quickly turned around unsure.

“Hee’s just Hee.” Namjoo muttered. She had been programmed to say that, think that before revealing the truth. Maybe that troubled her, too. But she wasn’t unhappy. The good thing was that Hee still stuck around after all. Right?

Jongin remained quiet as if still waiting for the answer he would accept. Namjoo pulled at a loose strand of carpet. This house was old. They’d never put any effort into repairing it, just buying more and more useless junk to cover up what was old, hide the age away.

“Why do you care?” Namjoo coldly asked.

“Do you think you can hide your family information? From the media? The company?” Jongin asked. “People will be curious. Telling me now will help you later.”

“That’s my problem,” she shot.

“With stage fright?” he mocked.

“Who says I’m going to talk in front of a group of people?” she mumbled.

She heard him take a breath behind her. “I’m serious. You want to be a celebrity, you’re going to play as my girlfriend, people will dig and dig until they unearth even the dirtiest secrets about you. They will find your family. You think it can’t happen?”

Her heart thumped. Hearing it made her nervous, go queasy. If people knew about the things she used to do or the things she grew up seeing, things she saw Hee do that would be bad. What would happen to Hee? Hee would get hurt and she’d have no one.

Hee was all she had.

The beating of her heart grew louder, more impulsive.

“Mother,” she quietly confessed.

The velocity of her heart increased more. She’d just said what she never planned to. Because it was her secret. It was only between her and Hee. A spiral of emotions, uncalled for, warped through her.

“She wasn’t supposed to have me. Twelve years older. Who likes that ?” Namjoo spoke in a hushed manner as if talking to herself. “She can be my aunt, my cousin, my sister. There are many variables to play with. It’s fun time to time. Heck, that old man from before still doesn’t know. He’s seen me as a kid, still doesn’t know.”

Namjoo laughed which was a real mockery of herself then quieted. Now she was speaking gibberish. She needed a drink. She wasn’t supposed to go there.

Hee was just Hee.

“Dad?”

“None.” Namjoo immediately replied then added, “Had a few. Maybe the real one died.” She turned around to ask, “Is that what you wanted to know? Feel good?”

Jongin stared at her with expressionless eyes then stood. “You keep your word not to meet him again.”

She watched him strut toward the door, open and close it. Heaving a frustrated sigh Namjoo buried her face into the couch.

Damn.

Getting up she walked into her bedroom. She was dying to change into something comfortable. Throwing her jean jacket aside she grabbed her t-shirt and turned, pausing when she caught herself in the mirror. She’d forgotten to take Jongin’s cap off.

Lifting it off her head she moved to sit on her bed and twirled the hat between her hands. She couldn’t believe she’d just revealed something to him today. Something that would bring him into her personal circle. Now he knew something about her he shouldn’t know. And he was the first person to know Hee was the mother who didn’t want to be her mother.

She must have looked like an idiot. Compared to him and his, she supposed, rich background she must really look like that poor girl in a drama who’d met the rich guy on the perfect block. Namjoo laughed at herself quickly forgetting the spiraling emotions earlier.

In front of Jongin, she wouldn’t be ashamed or embarrassed. She just wouldn’t.

Though one more person knew the truth, she wouldn’t open again. This was hers and Hee’s secret. Next time around, she’d tell the press there were no parents. Reporters could dig their best, because Hee hadn’t registered her under her name. Namjoo had never been a daughter because Hee had given birth to her in the bloody alley where she had been a lone wolf. Maybe Hee knew love or maybe something bad had happened and that was how Namjoo came to be. She had never asked, never wondered.

Still, indeed, she sure had mommy problems. Some that was never meant to be faced head on.

Holding Jongin’s cap up she observed it like a twinkling star then held it close to her nose. It sure did smell like him.


***Now Jongin knows something about her xD That means they're on one level closer to being personal

***Happy New Years! I'm going to watch 2016 die tonight