'Don't Pick Up'

Celebrity Girlfriend

“Why didn’t you bring her with you?” his mother scolded.

His mother’s luxury apartment had been upgraded by Jongin after he got signed up with more advertisements. Moving her out of their small home on the west side he watched her jaw drop after refusing his effort to improve her living. Now, she constantly strode from one room to another busily in that perky mood of hers, sometimes even just lying down lazily on the couch to go through the Smart TV he’d purchased for her as a side gift. The windows here were far bigger than those tiny squares once invaded daily by spiders. Jongin was so glad he would never have to see those again. He was also certain that his younger brother was relieved he no longer had to rid of them.

The modernized apartment was furnished with everything picked out from brand name stores. The tableware imported from abroad as well as the class white plates. Wooden hard floor that was waxed twice a year by a service Jongin had hired. He’d given his mother the honor of decorating the two bedrooms and one and a half bathrooms. So far it was a big enough place for a single woman and her son, and if her son wasn’t around it was spacious enough for a woman to invite friends to spend an evening. Jongin imagined his mother often invited her girlfriends to gossip and bake as did every other bored lady in the neighborhood. How many of them knew about Namjoo?

“Is she really coming?” Yongjin, his younger brother, wondered. “Is there really a girlfriend?”

“Don’t speak like that to your brother,” Jangmi scolded. Turning attention to him, “Are you sure she’s coming?”

“I’m sure,” he replied then glanced at the empty side beside him. For four hours his mother had kept herself occupied in the kitchen, baking and cooking just to make sure food was to perfection. An hour before his arrival she’d ironed her clothes, did laundry, swept an mopped the entire household screaming at the younger brother to stay out of the way. She hoped to impress and help Jongin keep his girlfriend. This had been reported to him by Yongjin.

The dinner table was filled with too much food. It almost seemed like a memorial service. Lim Jangmi had overdone it, but Jongin appreciated her efforts. Maybe he had a few things in common with his mother, the obsession to impress.

“Call her,” his mother suggested eagerly. “Maybe she doesn’t know the way. See, this is why I told you to come together. You filmed together today and you couldn’t manage to come here with her. What are you thinking, you need to fix that head of yours and the way you think…”

Jongin sighed as the woman went on. His younger brother, apparently enjoying the sight, laughed from the side.

Namjoo would come. She had to come. She’d already promised his mother.

₪₪₪₪₪

With legs drawn up to her chest, Namjoo sank back into the couch, eyes glued to the television screen. Slowly popping a popcorn into , she gently chewed feeling the material crunch between her teeth. The TV may be on, but her mind was elsewhere.

To go or not to go?

She really didn’t think it mattered. She wasn’t really Jongin’s girlfriend. Going may only increase expectations of her and that may become a hindrance in the future. It wasn’t such a good idea to get Jongin’s mother hung on her. What good was it disappointing a nice old woman like that?

Popping another piece into she slowly chewed. Thinking again about Jongin’s mother. Then, she reasoned to herself, if she didn’t go the woman would continue waiting for her. Would she not be disappointing the elder?

Namjoo argued to herself again. She was fake. She and Jongin had nothing between them, but a company and a contract that kept them in line. She was getting paid to be his girlfriend. The point of their relationship was to make news and hype up this drama.

His mother was waiting for her though…

Kicking the bowl of popcorn off her lap Namjoo ruffled her hair out of frustration. At this point she would sooner or later lose all her hair. All this thinking was driving her nuts.

What exactly was she going to do?

₪₪₪₪₪

“Is she really coming?” his younger brother wondered again. “She’s real, right?” with a smirk he asked, “You’re not putting on an act, are you?”

“Did you call her?” his mother returned to the table from the bathroom. “Maybe tonight’s not a good night. Why aren’t you saying anything?”

Should he pull out his phone and call Namjoo? Would she pick up his call? Maybe she was angry with him for the way he’d acted today. In any sense, he knew she would never get with Taehyung as long as she was under Hyunki. Why had he been so short tempered with her today?

The doorbell rang. His head immediately turned to glance back down the hallway leading to the door.

“I’ll get it,” Jongin shot to his feet, heart pounding loudly within his ears.

Eagerly travelling the short distance to the door, he peered at the monitor. It was Namjoo on the other side. Bliss zapped through him. Inhaling and giving himself a once over he opened the door. Namjoo blankly glanced up at him neither appearing happy or angry.

“You came,” he said. “Come in.”

Stepping back he let her in and led her toward the kitchen.

“I’m sorry I’m late,” Namjoo apologized. “Here,” she placed a basket of fruits onto the table.

“Oh, you didn’t have to,” his mother beamed. “Please, have a seat. Oh, I’m so glad you came. Here I was, chiding Jongin for not coming together with you. Sit, sit.”

Breathing a smile, Jongin pulled her chair back for her.

“I’m Yongjin,” Jongin’s younger brother introduced himself. “I was almost thinking Jongin made you up.” He laughed teasingly, “I guess the news was real. What do you like about my brother?”

“Yongjin,” his mother whispered.

“What?” the younger brother wondered with a shrug.

“It’s ok,” Namjoo smiled. “Jongin’s really nice and playful. It never gets boring with him. It’s easy to work with him because he’s so reliable.”

His eyes absorbed the sight of her beside him. It felt right. More than that, he really wished she was speaking the truth about him, about the way she felt toward him.

His mother watched her adoringly. “I am so glad. Work hasn’t been too tough?”

“Of course not.”

“Then that’s good to hear. I’m happy you two will have each other if it gets too tiring. Oh, yes, do eat up.”

Yongjin shuddered, “All this cheese at this table.”

His mother scolded him, but Namjoo laughed which made him all the more comfortable. He was really happy she’d come.

₪₪₪₪₪

“Look here,” Yongjin pointed to a portrait hanging on the wall. Namjoo was being given a house tour after dinner. Jongin was helping his mother clean up in the kitchen, so his younger brother had decided to entertain her. “Mom was so happy that she bought several copies of the endorsement posters. She even cut you two out and framed it.”

Namjoo stared at the photo of her and Jongin underneath his jacket. She could still recall the way he’d mesmerized her with his smile that day. They did look really happy. Recognizing that made her feel weird. Namjoo had never known herself to look like that before. Maybe all this acting was paying off and she was finally pulling it off at last.

“Do you really like him?” Yongjin wondered. “Mom’s really happy to finally meet one of Jongin’s girlfriends. She talks about you to everyone. I even heard the neighbors asking about you when I came home. I really hope you like my brother. My mother will probably be sad otherwise.”

Giving the picture a onceover she turned to peer back toward the kitchen.

“I’m so sorry if I was a bother tonight,” Jongin’s mother apologized by the doorway 10 minutes later. “I know filming gets so hectic, but I’m so happy you made it.” She handed a wrapped container of food toward her, “Do take this home and eat it.”

“I’m quite all right,” Namjoo shook her head, but the woman shoved it into her arms.

“We’d never be able to finish all that food by ourselves,” Jongin’s mother excused.

“Mom packed all the good stuff,” Yongjin smiled.

“Oh…all right,” Namjoo gave in. “Thank you. I’ll eat it well.”

“Do come back when you have time. I’d like to get to know you more,” his mother invited. “I’ll get lonely once Yongjin leaves again.”

Namjoo nodded and after another minute of farewell the door finally closed. She silently walked with Jongin toward the elevator.

“I’ll carry that,” Jongin offered when the elevator doors closed.

“I’m fine,” Namjoo turned away, holding the container closer to her body.

They went quiet again. She had only come out of obligation, nothing more. She hoped he understood that.

“I’m glad you came,” Jongin said. “Really.”

The elevator doors opened and they stepped out. Jongin hurried his pace to keep up with her urgent steps. “I’ll drive you home.” He offered.

“No need. I have a cab waiting,” Namjoo told.

“Namjoo…”

She stopped and turned to him, “I’ll see you tomorrow.” Then just like that she walked away. She didn’t want him to think she’d come because she liked him in any way. She was no longer angry, but she still didn’t want him to misunderstand her actions.

Walking toward the cab she slipped into the vehicle and gave the driver the address to her house. No one was inside when she returned. Hee, too busy with her life, hadn’t returned. Namjoo worried about whether she’d met any reporters recently. She had been constantly checking the gossip portion of the internet to see whether anything had been written up about her. Did Hee know what kinds of things she shouldn’t say?

It made Namjoo more nervous thinking about it. She couldn’t sleep. She lay there quietly on her side in the dark pondering her worries. Jongin, Minseok, Hee, and Naeun. So many things crossed her mind. All of a sudden, she wondered if she might be anything more than Jongin’s girlfriend. Everyone seemed to call her that, as if she belonged to no one else but Jongin. While acting, was she still her own person?

Her head lifted when something rattled outside. Sitting up she listened for more noise. Maybe Hee was drunk. Namjoo would have naturally called out the woman’s name, but she didn’t. Trepidation traveled down her spine. Namjoo waited for more noise that would tell her who was outside.

Then the knob on her door rattled, as if someone was trying to open it. Breathing haggardly she shakily sought her phone. The light flashed into her eyes, shocking her. Gathering her wits, Namjoo fumbled with the buttons and watched Don’t pick up pop up onto the screen. Well to hell with who she was calling. Pressing the phone to her ear she listened to the ring tone and then finally a, “Hello?”

Jesus! Thank the Lord, Namjoo prayed. Whispering urgently, “Someone broke into my house.”

Silence. “Namjoo?”

“Hurry! Call the cops!” Namjoo jumped when the twisting of the doorknob became more urgently. Tossing the phone aside, she pulled the blanket up to . If she stayed here she might be found out. Then what if he found her? Lunging out of bed, Namjoo crept down toward the floor to conceal herself. She held her breath. Though her neighborhood might not be upscale, there were rarely any break-ins. There was nothing to steal here.

Hands shot up to cup when her door knob jiggled again. Namjoo watched in fear as it moved around then stopped. Her heart ransacked her ears, ceasing concentration on anything else. God, was she going to die this way?

Namjoo slipped onto her when the door opened and cursed the lock for being so weak. She nearly whimpered upon seeing a shadow. Pressing her hands harder against she watched the shadow cautiously step into her room. Falling forward onto her hands so that she was in a crawl position, she watched him make way toward her bed and almost cried imagining what might be happening. Praying her knees wouldn’t creak as they usually did she crawled out into the darkness.

She heard him going through her bed and pictured him tossing her blanket aside after discovering she wasn’t there. Who was this person that had come into her home? One of Hee’s stalkers? No, that wouldn’t make sense. Hee’s stalker wouldn’t come into her room. So who was he?! Namjoo had been too busy these days to meet even a man.

“Are you out there? You’re hiding, aren’t you?” a voice bounced off the walls. Scurrying toward the large bean bag Hee had picked up from a garage sale one day, Namjoo peeked over it to see the shadow standing at the threshold of her bedroom door. He was tall. Thin and tall, and he was looking around.

This was becoming one wild night and she was not ready for it. If she was as quick as a rat, the door to escape was on her far right. It might take her, she estimated, about 8 steps to make it. By then he might have reached her, possibly drag her down by the ankles? Namjoo shook her head to ward that possibility away. Considering how tall he was, his long legs would make him fast.

Still, if she stayed here hiding he’d also come find her. His eyes had already adjusted themselves to the dark. Namjoo bit her lower lip. She would run.

Popping out from the bean bag she shot her feet screaming subconsciously. By the time she realized she was screaming it was already too late to stop herself. Her voice rose to the top of her lungs. Once she heard his footsteps behind her she forgot all about the door. All she thought about was how he would come after her and tackle her to the floor, so she ran toward the kitchen. There was a pan sitting in the dish rack Hee must have used to cook up meat. Dodging the kitchen table she snatched it at the speed of light, amazing herself with how fast she had moved. Namjoo ran around the table once huffing and puffing as if she’d run the mile. Abruptly swiveling she turned and rammed the pan over the shadow’s head screaming and screaming and screaming.

₪₪₪₪₪

Jongin watched the cab drive off feeling defeated, disappointed. Namjoo was still angry with him. How was he going to make it up to her, so that they went back to normal?

Sighing dejected, he walked off toward his car and drove home. Tomorrow he would try again. He’d even give up and apologize to her if that would help his situation. Maybe Namjoo just wanted him to tell her he was sorry for being irritable.

After washing up he laid in bed wide awake. All he could think about was Namjoo coming tonight. She had come and that was really all that mattered. Seeing her on the other side of his mother’s door had taken the breath out of him. Did she even know what she did to him now?

Jongin was surprised by the ring of his phone. Grabbing it he sat up upon seeing that Namjoo was calling. Eager, he answered. A minute later he shot out of his home with keys in hand while dialing the cops.

He sped all the way to Namjoo’s house, parking messily across the street. Dashing toward the door he slammed himself against it breaking in screaming, “Namjoo!”

Panting confused and lost, he watched her turn to him from where she was sitting in the living room. A smashed in pan sat beside her. With the swivel of his head he spotted a man knocked out on the floor.

The police arrived a few minutes later. Jongin listened to Namjoo give them a statement, telling them for the 20th time that she didn’t know him and had never seen him before.

“You’ve been on TV, ma’am?” the cop asked.

Namjoo shot him a glance and seemed to shrink. “A little.”

“You haven’t noticed anything strange?” the cop continued. “No one watching you, following you?”

Jongin watched the cop then turned to Namjoo, hoping she may know something because being attacked in the middle of the night couldn’t have been a baseless act.

“Well…I’ve been receiving some strange letters,” Namjoo quietly admitted. “I didn’t think they were anything…”

“May I look at them?”

“I threw most of them away,” Namjoo told. “I thought they were a joke.”

“I have a picture,” Jongin chimed in. “I’ll have my manager drop it off in the morning.”

The cop recognized them as celebrities, Jongin realized. He would get in touch with Hyunki to make sure nothing leaked about tonight. That would have to come later.

Jongin watched the cop leave and observed Namjoo.

“You broke the lock,” Namjoo said after a moment.

Jongin turned to see the front door weakly opening. A draft breezed in. “I’ll fix it,” he promised and grabbed a chair from the kitchen table to place under the knob. “This should do it for now.”

He turned to find Namjoo watching him. “Are you staying or something?”

Brightening up he hoped that his face wasn’t obviously giving him away. “Can I?”


***lmao Namjoo deadbeat the intruder before Jongin even made it to be hero

***i wish i could italicize my title since Don't pick up is obviously Jongin's name in Namjoo's phone