All for Joo

Celebrity Girlfriend

Jongin’s only reaction was a baffled laugh filled with joke and disbelief. He repeated louder, “Taehyung’s?!”

“Are you deaf?” Namjoo asked.

Offended, he declared, “Give it up and get your here now.”

At this, Namjoo gasped. “What?”

“Your manager doesn’t know, I bet he’s not there with you,” Jongin told. He could see it. If Namjoo wanted to see some other man her manager wouldn’t let it happen. Company rules. And most because of the CEO, Bae Hyunki. Kwak Joontae’s salary would be at stake if he allowed it.

Namjoo winced from the other side. “So what?”

“So turn the car around and you better be here in 30 minutes,” Jongin threatened.

₪₪₪₪₪

It had been one certainly long day. Unlike Jongin who had gotten a day of rest, Kwak Joontae had picked her up early morning. She was going to a photoshoot for a Vogue magazine she was told. Not on the front cover, but she would be modeling for a fashion brand of purses that would be promoted through the magazine.

The process was like yesterday’s poster photoshoot. Skipping the salon she went immediately to the set where she was led to the back, told to put on clothes, and then came out for makeup which took nearly an hour. The stylist fussed with her hair and then the eye makeup which had to be carefully put on. Sparkles and everything. Everything was all Namjoo was unaccustomed to, but she couldn’t complain. All was required of her was to sit there until her cramped up.

When she went out a beautiful model was already in the works for the front cover. Namjo stared with awe, mouth gaped open, and again, clapping quietly like the kind of fool Jongin would call embarrassing. The woman had curves in all the right places and the outfit she donned was even prettier than Namjoo’s. It must be a high end signature piece Namjoo assumed. My god she was beautiful! Namjoo couldn’t take her eyes away from those eyes, that straight nose, pretty and plump lips men would love to kiss. And that smile was to die for. Her face was just so captivating.

Namjoo stared with envy until the director called for break. She grinned stupidly when the female passed by and watched her disappear into the back.

“Over here,” a voice called out to her.

Namjoo walked over to a woman by a table who explained to her today’s concept and then she was up there and cameras were flashing. She was stiff and awkward, but the cameraman unlike Sooha was patient and calm while directing her movements. In the end, the pictures turned out all right. All that mattered were the purses being promoted anyway.

The director allowed her to go through the pictures with him and she couldn’t help but laugh at herself awkwardly. Then she went on break for change of outfit, a requirement for the next shoot. After changing she finally met with the beautiful female from earlier. She was sitting in the chair Namjoo had been in when getting makeup done. The stylist wasn’t there but Namjoo noticed hair curlers on her head.

Noticing her the female turned. With that smile she greeted, “Hello.”

Nervous, Namjoo nodded her head. Was she supposed to walk back out or wait for more makeup?

“You’re Namjoo, right?” the pretty one asked.

The blankness suddenly dissipated and Namjoo gathered herself. More self-aware now. “Y…yes.”

“I’m Naeun, it’s nice to meet you,” Naeun continued smiling.

Naeun…Son Naeun?

Namjoo studied her face some more. She had never actually looked up Jongin’s ex. Could the world actually be small and this was her? Or was there someone else who shared that name?

“Son…Naeun?” Namjoo stupidly repeated.

“That’s me,” she still smiled and it was so pretty Namjoo’s heart moved with much jealousy. No wonder Jongin wanted to marry her. She was a living goddess descended upon this hell called life.

“I’m sorry I’m late,” the stylist walked back in hurriedly, gasping. “I’ll take those rollers off now.”

Namjoo stepped back to make way and watched with wonder and still dumped in awe. Son Naeun was right before her eyes. She was this magnificent model and actress. Class A. The highest paid. Greatest of the greatest. Most wanted.

Before she walked onto set she said, “Lets have some coffee after you’re done. There’s a coffee house at the end of the block around here.”

Namjoo quietly nodded. Suddenly she realized how small of a person she was when compared to Naeun. No wonder Jongin always warned her about backing out early. How much must one work to make it to the top? What did they sacrifice and how many people were required to love one before they made it that big? Probably more than Namjoo would ever achieve.

As the shoot spun on Namjoo thought about the conversation a few days ago with Minseok. “You’ve a lot of attention these days. I heard from a fellow reporter who has connections that even Son Naeun has been looking at your dating news.”

How much did Naeun know about her and Jongin? Did she know they were a fake pair? Did she know Jongin enough to know he wouldn’t date someone outside the entertainment industry?

Anxiety developed within her small chest as she neared the coffee house on the corner of the block. Clutching the new bag she had been thrilled to receive as a freebie for modeling Namjoo felt her hands sweat. What the hell was wrong with her? This was Jongin’s ex-girlfriend and they had nothing to do with each other. She didn’t even have anything to do with Jongin in real life.

Yet she was nervous…because Son Naeun was such a big celebrity and she was just a puny regular.

Reaching the front door Namjoo glanced inside. It was glass framed in glossy black. A high-end restaurant. The kind of restaurant that would match someone high-end like class A actress Son Naeun. Namjoo spotted Naeun at the back with a cap on and suddenly she was brought an image of the couple walking the street arm in arm with matching hats. Namjoo instinctively touched her head recalling the hat Jongin pushed onto her head on their first date. Had that hat been a matching one with Naeun?

Heads turned when Namjoo walked in but she doubted anyone would recognize her enough to jump at her. She heard someone whisper her name, “It’s that girl, Namjoo,” to her partner and wanted to shrink into a turtle’s shell. People watched as she headed to the back toward Naeun who kindly invited her to sit.

“It must be new to you,” Naeun quietly commented noting all the eyes and heads turned. “Just smile and wave.”

Namjoo watched with admiration when Naeun did just that. Waved and smiled. Namjoo turned to see cameras flashing and others waving while others loudly greeted with, “I love you,” or, “You’re even prettier in person.”

“You can have this,” Naeun pushed forth a cup of warm coffee. “They gave both to me for free.”

“Oh…thank you,” Namjoo grabbed the cup with both hands.

“So you’re the one dating Jongin,” Naeun said.

Namjoo experienced a hot flash. Immediately she wanted to shake her head, tell this beautiful woman no. If she wanted Jongin Namjoo would wholeheartedly shove him toward her. Have him, there you go.

“Y…yea,” Namjoo nervously nodded, gripped her cup harder. Eyes darted back and forth before she sipped her coffee only to burn her tongue. Eyes back on Naeun to find her watching observantly.

Pressing lips together Naeun smiled firmly, kindly as if to show her she wasn’t judging.

Namjoo gulped then asked, “What did you like about him?”

Slightly cocking head to the side she replied, “I liked a lot about him. I’m sure there’s lots you like about him too.”

She wasn’t so sure about that. And why wasn’t Naeun answering her question?

“I just wanted to share a cup of coffee with you,” Naeun said, “so don’t be nervous. I don’t intend to get back with Jongin in case you think of me as a threat.”

Question marks popped up above Namjoo’s head.

“You don’t?” Namjoo asked confused. She had been expecting the conversation to veer toward that. Now she wanted to know why Naeun didn’t want Jongin back. “Why? I thought you were curious about him.”

She laughed. And so prettily. Their visuals were so different. When laughing Namjoo’s mouth would gauge wide open as she cackled. “I’m sure he’s doing well. He’s always like that. He’s sensitive though, so you’d have to watch for what he’s hiding.”

So why didn’t she want Jongin back if she knew him so well? Namjoo didn’t get it.

“I just wanted to get to know you,” Naeun admitted. “I’m curious about Jongin’s new girlfriend. I think you’ll make it big. There’s been a lot of talk about you these days.”

Ok, that wasn’t the first she heard of it. Namjoo still didn’t understand why or how it was happening. Just because she was Jongin’s girlfriend? Was she selling because of that?

“It takes a while for a new girl to instantly snatch a center in the Vogue magazine, but amazingly you made it on,” Naeun explained. “And I don’t think it’s because of Jongin.” She added as if having read her mind.

Namjoo stared, blinked. “That’s it? You’re not interested in Jongin?”

“I find you more interesting.”

Namjoo raised a brow, lost. “Me?”

“Yes, you, but I’m sure I’ll find out more eventually,” Naeun said. “I have a commercial filming in an hour. I should get going.” She stood and Namjoo admired her long body accentuated even more by her booties. “If you want to last with Jongin, you should stay away from reporters. He’s a good man you don’t want to lose.”

The beautiful celeb walked out waving to the other customers watching with awe. She was so confident and held herself with such sway. Mesmerized again, Namjoo gripped her cup of warm coffee.

Kwak Joontae sent her home immediately. He immediately told her that she was instructed to rest for tomorrow’s filming. She should be up by 6AM and they would head to the salon before the filming site at the broadcasting station. That was all he said before making his exit. Namjoo supposed she wasn’t meant to ask any more questions. Go with the flow she supposed.

There was mail by her door. She tossed everything else but the bills. Home alone she lounged on the couch, flipped through the channels with a bowl of food on her lap, and laughed loudly by herself.

That was when the call came.

₪₪₪₪₪

Taehyung!

Jongin nearly groaned. Keeping under control he inhaled and calmed before exiting his bedroom. His mother was still headstrong in the kitchen, sitting quietly like a queen waiting for his service.

Upon his return she turned, “Is she coming?”

“Of course,” he smiled. Namjoo better darn be here or he’d get her neck if his mother left. Who knows. The woman might even decide to stubbornly spend the night just to see Namjoo.

Changing the subject, he asked, “Are you hungry?”

“No, we’ll wait for her,” his mother turned away to stare into space.

“She’s probably eaten,” he tried.

“We will wait,” she was firm on her decision.

With no other choice, Jongin sat down. “So, um…has Yongjin called again? How are his studies going?”

Two sons away from home meant his mother was a lonely mother goose waiting for their return. The only thing was Jongin had no intention moving back home. He didn’t like the media in his mother’s presence. The things they could do or say to her wrecked his nerves. Yongjin, his younger brother still young and immature was overseas, trying to get his bachelor’s and come home proud. And it was all on Jongin’s money. Everything had been on him. Having been dirt poor for so long he decided he would take control once he was of age. Out of high school he ventured into the industry and thanks to brilliant Bae Hyunki he made it after some setbacks.

“He’s all right,” his mother replied, “but Jongin, this thing with your girlfriend, are you serious?”

He didn’t want to talk about relationships much less Namjoo. None of it was real, but telling his mother the truth might not benefit him. She did gossip, what if she let it slip while talking?

“Mom, you know how it is. I can’t really get into details,” Jongin said. “If you don’t like her, that’s ok, too.”

“Why would you say that about her?” his mother glanced at him. “You should be defending her against me. You shouldn’t be ok with that.”

“All right,” he backed down. “She really doesn’t take thing seriously, even if you give her a hard time.”

“Is she giving you a hard time?” his mother asked ready to have sword out if need be.

“No, no we’re fine,” Jongin quickly shook his head.

Maybe he needed to shut up. He glanced at his phone. Namjoo better be on her way.

“How did the two of you meet?” Jangmi asked.

At once, Jongin pictured drunk Namjoo dancing through his house and babbling nonsense. “A dance.”

“Dance?” Jangmi nodded. “But you don’t like dancing.”

“It was a friend of Chanyeol’s. I went as a favor and we met there,” Jongin nodded hoping doing so would validate his story.

“I saw the article, Jongin,” his mother reminded as if to tell him she was not stupid and would not, could not believe him. The picture of Namjoo in his shirt had been sprawled over nationwide news. Anyone would guess what they’d done in his home for Namjoo to do a walk of shame. BUT he had not done it because for one, Namjoo had been drunk over her head and two, he just didn’t take advantage of a drunk.

One more perfect reason why he needed to knock his head against the counter. If he hadn’t fallen so deep asleep Namjoo wouldn’t have been able to walk out like that. An even greater problem because his mother believed he’d done it in his home. Namjoo even believed it which was worse.

It was already too late because Namjoo was already his girlfriend. Hyunki’s solution for him. Was it going to spiral down with due cause by his mother?

Glancing at his phone again. Where the hell was Namjoo?

“I won’t say anything. You’re an adult,” she cut off his to be clarification that he had not slept with Namjoo, “but what do her parents think? Have you met them?”

Well, that was one difficult question. Namjoo’s mother didn’t exactly want to be her mother. She was at the same time with and without a mother. What should he say?

“She uh…doesn’t have a father,” Jongin told, “but I’ve met her mother.” He reminisced the two times he’d run into her. An energetic woman who didn’t seem to be home most of the time, would rather be outside than in, whose energy didn’t quite match up with her age. Someone who still talked with the vigor of a 20 year-old. “I don’t think she minds.”

No, the woman was thrilled Namjoo had told him. Her mother wanted the number of his friends.

“Where do they live?”

“What?” he gasped.

“I want to pay her mother a visit,” Jangmi calmly explained, “and apologize. Her daughter was plastered all over the news because of you. People must have talked about her. Imagine how uncomfortable they’d be.”

Not one bit he thought.

“You don’t have to,” he tried to ward the idea off. “I think that would make them more uncomfortable. Namjoo and I aren’t that close yet.”

“But she entered your company,” Jangmi noted. “I saw the press conference. You two appeared more comfortable than expected. Are you lying to me?”

“No,” he emphasized the word with rise of voice. Catching himself he continued, “Anyway, you don’t have to bother with that. If anyone should be apologizing, I’ll do it.”

“Have you been to her house? You’ve met with her mother?” his mother stared into his face.

“I…” he stuttered helplessly, “I’ve been there and yes, I’ve met her mother.”

“Did you formally introduce yourself? You didn’t go to her house empty handed, did you?”

He went empty handed and he hadn’t formally introduced himself. Namjoo’s mother knew who he was and the visit had been unplanned, but that had already all passed. Jongin doubted Namjoo’s mother would have expected anything from him. What was there to say but that Namjoo barred him from ever going back there?

“I did everything. Don’t worry,” Jongin lied. “You really don’t have to do this.”

“Why? So you can keep secrets from me again?” his mother sharply snapped, eyes like knives. “I’ve never met any of your girlfriends. Are you embarrassed of me? I still have to find out through gossip articles about you! Do you know how that makes me feel? Even if I’m on my deathbed, I have to meet her at least once.”

Lim Jangmi was determined. Maybe he was at fault for keeping her out of his life, but he hadn’t been serious with anyone before so there had been no need for introductions. He thought she understood that.

The doorbell rang.

“I’ll get that,” Jongin excused himself hopeful to be away from the tension building up at the table.

When he opened the door Namjoo stood on the other end with a huge basket of fruits. Pulling on a smile she greeted, “Hi.”


***Jongin's mom and Naeun only want to see Namjoo because of Namjoo lol they only care about getting to know her. Minseok is already in that circle and soon Taehyung will join as well xD