Good Publicity

Celebrity Girlfriend

₪₪₪₪₪

She may be baffled but he was even more. To meet this so-called girlfriend, Jongin had struck a deal with the nosey reporter in order to meet up with his supposed to be woman. The reporter would get an interview if he could get the girlfriend who was in a supposed fight with Jongin out.

Lo and behold, here they were together. In his company. In the lobby. And she was still scrubby. In pajamas. Face swollen. Eyes dazed. Hair a mess.

Jongin couldn’t stand looking at her. But he was sitting next to her.

15 minutes spent arguing in the car because she wouldn’t look at the script any further than the first line. But who started this mess? That’s right. It was her.

“You best act your part,” he had scolded.

“Celebrity my ,” she had scorned then called him some weirdo or stalker.

Absurd, insane, yaddy-yadda. And then who would have guessed that at the sight of Chanyeol she’d shut her loud mouth. She read the script just once and then tossed it aside. Was he frustrated? Very.

Yet, they were here together. In the lobby of his management. Arms crossed. Both of them. Indeed, they looked like a pair in the middle of a petty fight. At least that was the part that appeared true and played its part. Luckily.

“We can get started, right?” Minseok asked.

“Not like you need a glass of water, do you?” Jongin sarcastically questioned.

Minseok calmly smiled. His attitude aggravated Jongin’s nerves. “I’m good, thank you.”

“Well, I promised you your interview,” Jongin said. “This is Namjoo.”

When she didn’t play her part, he nudged her. She hissed irritated. Earlier she had asked if she would get money for lying. He scoffed but had wondered if she meant it or if she was joking, because money was far from the matter.

“Hello, I’m Kim Namjoo and I’m Kai’s girlfriend,” Namjoo nodded her head and repeated what she memorized like a robot. Jongin gave her a glare for the small effort.

Turning to Minseok he managed a short laugh then wrapped an arm around Namjoo’s chair. She stared at his arm then looked at him unkindly. He ignored her.

“How did you meet each other?”

As a picture of waking up next to Jongin popped up in Namjoo’s head Jongin recalled a drunk Namjoo dancing around his home and attempting dumb tricks.

“Well…” Jongin tried. This part had been written out for the interview and Jongin was ready to recite it but Namjoo first said, “It was a one night stand.”

If had had some water in his mouth it would have come right out.

“Excuse me?” Minseok asked uncertain whether he’d heard right.

Obnoxiously laughing out loud Jongin gripped Namjoo’s shoulder. “Isn’t that funny? A one night stand.”

Minseok raised an eyebrow.

“Excuse us for a moment,” Jongin said then stood. He expected Namjoo to follow but she remained seated. Grabbing her hand he pulled. She refused to budge then gave in and let him drag her after him. Stepping past Chanyeol they walked out of the lobby and into the empty hallway.

“What the hell was that?” he interrogated.

Namjoo stared up at him. “Well, it’s true.”

He scoffed, baffled.

“You slept with me,” Namjoo accuse.

“You, we, me,” he shook his head. “Are you out of your mind?”

“What part of that is crazy?” Namjoo asked bewildered. “You did it to me!”

Jongin immediately clasped his hand over her lips. Glancing around to make sure no one was around he turned back to her. “Lower your voice. You’re in my workplace.”

“Bull,” Namjoo shoved him away then loudly daringly screamed as if testing for sound, “aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”

Jongin threw his hand over again. “Stop it!”

Namjoo pushed him off again, “You’re the one out of your mind! How dare you call me crazy.” She looked him up and down, “Some stalker you are dragging me out of my bed. You followed me home, didn’t you? I don’t have money, so leave me alone.”

Jongin merely exhaled exasperated. Trying not to lose his temper he lowered his head and ran a hand up his hair. “You’re seriously annoying. Do you know that?”

“Good to hear,” she chirped up then jutted her thumb backward, “so can I leave now?”

Jongin grabbed her shirt as she side stepped away and pulled her back against the wall. “No, we’re going to finish this.”

“I must seem like a joke to you,” she gestured to her pajamas, “but that guy,” she glanced toward the door leading to the lobby, “that guy, he isn’t a reporter.”

Jongin’s eyes grew flat. What kind of drug was she on?

“I’m serious,” Namjoo said. “And you, you’re probably paid to pull this prank on me, right?” then she peered around, “So where’s the camera?” then she shouted, “Hello?”

How did he ever come across someone so out of her mind?

Chanyeol headed toward them, “Are you two finished? He’s waiting for the rest of the interview.”

Jongin glanced at Namjoo wishing this was over with already.

Holding his palm out he nodded then turned to Namjoo, hoping she would get a grip. “The joke here is you. All right?”

One look at her and he knew she wasn’t taking him seriously. He regretted asking Minseok for this. It would have been better if they didn’t know each other. At all.

“You just have to answer a few more questions and for a few days, don’t come out of your house. Got it? I’ll announce our breakup and then it’ll be all over,” he pulled her close and whispered.

“Why am I breaking up with you?” Namjoo asked.

Something exploded in his brain. Obviously, she didn’t understand any of this at all.

“Just follow the script,” Jongin said then pulled her along. “We’re back,” he announced with a grin when they walked through the door.

“I was afraid you might have run off,” Minseok said.

Jongin cheekily laughed, “There’s no reason to.”

Minseok’s eyes glinted doubt but covered it with a smile. Turning his attention on Namjoo, “What do you like about Kai? What about him is attractive to you?”

Namjoo turned to observe him. Jongin worried about what she’d say. They had an interview outline. She was supposed to go along with it, just like Minseok.

“He has a good humor. When I’m upset he’s a good person to lean on. I can’t imagine not going a day without him,” Namjoo recited, somehow with heart this time. “He does certainly talk a lot though. He’s usually hollering at me,” she eyed him deviously then added, “twenty-four-seven.”

“It sounds like you two know how to have fun.” Minseok commented.

“Fun?” Jongin repeated unable to believe his ears then laughed with further disbelief. “Fun. Yes, we’re fun.” Wrapping an arm around Namjoo he gripped her shoulder and grinned.

15 minutes later they wrapped up the interview and watched Minseok leave. Sighing relieved and thrilled to have him gone, Jongin threw his head back.

“God that felt like an eternity!” he groaned.

Namjoo stared at him like he was stupid. “So, I can leave?”

Straightening, he stuck hands into his jacket pockets. “Leave and don’t come here again.”

“Where’s my money?” Namjoo asked.

Rolling his eyes, “You’re not getting money.”

“For that stupid show, I should at least get something,” Namjoo argued.

“For wasting my time, you owe me money.” He jutted his finger out toward her.

Namjoo slapped his hand away. “I don’t know who you are, but it’s no wonder you need someone to play girlfriend.”

His face constricted but then Chanyeol interrupted. “Are you ready? We can leave now.”

“Ready as ever,” Namjoo grinned happily.

Jongin pushed her aside as he stepped forward, “He’s talking to me.”

₪₪₪₪₪

Namjoo watched the crazy jerk walk outside and glanced up at Chanyeol who stepped up to her. Pulling some cash out of his wallet he handed it to her with an apology, “Sorry about him. He’s always cranky. Here’s some change for a cab.”

“Thanks,” Namjoo smiled. “You’re so kind, I don’t know why you work with him. He says he’s a celebrity, but I don’t believe him. You look more like the celebrity.”

Chanyeol chuckled before turning to walk away. He was handsome. Grinning, Namjoo followed them out to see the van pass by. Hurrying into the street she waved an arm out for a cab and was finally on her way home. Someone was going through the kitchen when she returned, but it wasn’t her mother.

“Who are you?” Namjoo asked. She glanced at the front door knob confident that she’d locked it on her way out.

“Where is it? And where is that woman?!” the stranger shrieked. He had a beard and looked the dirt kind of scrubby. Hadn’t washed for days perhaps. His clothes appeared years expired. He tossed a pan aside. It rattled noisily against the floor.

“What are you doing in my kitchen?!” Namjoo screamed. Storming forward she tried pulling him away. Obviously, he was bigger and heavier. The scrubby dude didn’t budge an inch. In the next second he shoved her back irritated.

“You tell that woman to bring my money to me. And next time, to show her face when I call for it,” he glared into her eyes before stomping past.

The door slammed and Namjoo stared after him. That was when she saw that the rest of the house was aloof, a mess, all things thrown around like he’d gone in a rampage. For God’s sake…

Namjoo grumbled and kicked the fry pan by her feet. Huffing and puffing she grabbed a plate off the counter and tossed it into the sink. What kind of trouble did her irresponsible mother get herself into this time? That woman was so utterly frustrating Namjoo felt like snapping time and time again. And she always ended up cleaning after that irresponsible brat as if she were the mother herself.

Namjoo was only quarter of the way through cleaning when someone burst through the doorway. “Namjoo! Namjoo! You little !” flying like the gust of wind the woman crashed into her from behind nearly toppling her over onto the floor where she was crouched.

Letting out a yelp Namjoo shoved her off and glared, “Hey! What the hell?!”

Kim Hee was finally home and in an expensive dress Namjoo didn’t recognize. Certainly, it was not what she’d walked out of the home in. Where the hell had she gotten the money for it?

Before Namjoo could ask Hee grabbed her by the collar pulling her to her feet. “Look at you! How could you keep this from me?!” slapping her behind Namjoo let out a scream of agonizing pain then glanced down at the magazine pressed against her.

“What’s wrong with you?!” Namjoo pushed the woman away to no avail.

“Look! Look! That’s you!” Holding the paper up to eye level Namjoo stared at the woman plastered on the cover. Eyes shocked, bag tucked to her s, hair tousled but most certainly her in that celebrity wannabe’s button-down.

“Whoa!” Namjoo gasped snatching the paper and skimming the article. “He’s really a celebrity?” Flipping through the gossip magazine with jaw dropping in disbelief she recalled that morning’s encounter. Gasping loudly again.

Hee grabbed her arm to shake her, “Why didn’t you tell me?! So how was the ?”

Flustered, Namjoo blinked and shook her head before coming to. “Where’ve you been?! Look at this mess! What did you do this time?!”

“I didn’t do anything.” Hee passed by as if blind to the mess and grabbed the jug of water out of the fridge.

Namjoo snatched it away from her and forced a cup into her hands, “I told you a thousand times not to drink like that. It’s nasty.”

“You never like sharing anything. Not even a spoon with your only family.” Hee made an eye at her. Then turning to lean against the counter, “So how’d you meet him? I can’t believe you got so lucky. He’s one of the most difficult celebrities to meet in person, you know?”

Namjoo made a face of disgust then resumed cleaning at a slower pace.

“I’m talking to you,” Hee said.

“There’s nothing to say,” Namjoo mumbled.

Actually, she still couldn’t believe any of this at all. That that rude jerk was actually a star on television and that he’d been telling the truth. So that script she’d received earlier was real, too? It just didn’t feel real. There had to be a hidden camera somewhere.

“Don’t you know it’s wild out there?” Hee asked. “The magazines are selling out because the girls are in shock. And to imagine that someone like you’ve stolen their beloved husband.”

Namjoo frowned bewildered at husband. Wasn’t that going too far?

“I don’t know and I don’t care.”

“Hook me up,” Hee slid over. “If he’s hot, I want in, especially if you don’t want him.”

“That’s disgusting!” Namjoo shrieked. Her mother was probably his mother’s age…maybe not quite, but still. “And he’s not what you think he is.” She walked away not before saying, “And we’re not dating!”

Closing the door to her bedroom she sat down on her bed. A few seconds later she lifted the magazine still clutched between her hands up. She needed to look at it again in order to soak in the fact that she’d been caught on camera coming out of a top star’s home. Skimming the article she caught her name somewhere and gasped, threw a hand over .

It was real. And he’d made her say, “Hello, I’m Kim Namjoo and I’m Kai’s girlfriend.”

₪₪₪₪₪

Early the following morning Jongin was called back to the CEO’s office. Bae Hyunki wasn’t alone. One of the producers of a reality TV show was enjoying a cup of coffee in her lounge chair.

Getting up to greet him immediately, “Good morning, Kai. It’s so nice to see you.”

Jongin accepted the shake of his hand and pat on the arm before Hyunki invited him to sit down with them. Why, didn’t they appear cozy? What kind of crazy plan did they have in store for him today?

“So, what’s going on?” Jongin wondered crossing his legs and leaning back.

“PD Lee saw your interview last evening,” Hyunki started, “and he thought it’d be interesting to cast you in place of the couple leaving his dating show.”

He nearly choked.

“I feel that your interaction is genuine,” the producer commented. “And I especially like her sense of humor. Not everybody treats each other so comfortably like that when they’re in a relationship. It just goes to show how close you two are.”

Close his . How could he say that about their relationship from simply reading an article? He had to be joking. He had to.

“I’ll have to decline,” Jongin rejected. And no way was he going to see that woman ever again. In a week he would announce their breakup and good riddance.

“Jongin,” Hyunki called, her voice telling him to reconsider. Jongin shot her a glance. He didn’t want publicity. Not with that annoying girl.

Lying with a smile, “I don’t think she’d be comfortable in front of the camera.”

“I see,” the producer nodded. “Well, that’s all right, too. I do hope you’ll reconsider my offer. I think someone like her would be perfect onscreen.”

He had to be kidding, right?

They got up, shook hands, and bid each other farewell. When the door closed Jongin sat back down more comfortably this time.

“Why’d you let him come?” Jongin asked. “People like that just want to pester you.”

“Consider it,” Hyunki said.

“You’re kidding me,” Jongin made a face.

“He likes her.”

Jongin rolled his eyes. “He doesn’t even know her. I doubt he’d say that if he met her for real.”

“It’s the certain vibe a person gives off. I think he can feel it,” Hyunki explained sitting down. “Besides, who would dare talk to top star Kai the way she does? It was refreshing to read.”

Jongin narrowed his eyes. “Are you being sarcastic?”

“I just received a call today and I think you should accept this offer. You’re not doing anything right now and it’s been a month since your last project,” Hyunki suggested. “Plus, it doesn’t seem like there are too much negative remarks coming from your fans. A lot of them did support you in your last relationship.”

Jongin couldn’t help but roll his eyes again. “That’s a different story.”

“If you express some sincerity…”

“With a fake girlfriend?”

“You should finish what you started.”

She,” he corrected.

Hyunki slightly rolled her eyes and nodded. “Ok. What she started. Why not go all the way out? It’s not like it’ll pull you down. More projects, more money, more news. After this project, call it off and you’re all done. Never see each other again. No one will remember her.”

Jongin stared at Hyunki in silence and debated to himself. He liked projects, especially knowing how much he was worth. He could only continue to climb up the ladder, rake in more money, gain more fans. Because who didn’t want to like him? He had the face, the charm, and of course the image of chivalry. He could even get better known overseas. Sometimes, publicity was a good thing since he was meant to target women more than men. Hate Namjoo and love him? Sounds about right. Women would never hate him.

“What is it?” he wondered.

“Remember that drama script you were looking at?”

The script had been about poor girl meeting rich guy. Jongin hadn’t been too interested in such cliché. “Yes, what about it?”

“The writer wants to revamp it,” Hyunki said, “but she wants your girlfriend to come onboard.”