Jilted

Celebrity Girlfriend

Pulling the door open he waited for her to slide into the passenger’s seat. Frowning, she looked at him hoping to get some kind of reading out of his eyes. She couldn’t read him.

What Jongin was thinking, what he had in mind was all foreign to her. Maybe she just didn’t know him well enough yet to make any predictions.

He already kissed her earlier already. Was that not the kiss he had in mind? What kind of event did he have in store for her? And was it by the order of Bae Hyunki? Because Jongin just made absolutely no ing sense to her.

Once in the passenger’s seat Jongin circled the car and into his designated chair. Namjoo peered out the window to see the stage crew watching curiously and enviously. She smiled and waved. As they drove off Namjoo spotted Chanyeol and Kwak Joontae standing together. What were they talking about? Had they taken a part of this plan too?

“We better be going to a restaurant because I’m hungry and I’m not in the mood,” Namjoo grumbled.

“Fret not, princess, you’ll always get what you want,” Jongin said.

Ignoring him further Namjoo kept her lips strewn shut. They arrived at a classy restaurant half an hour later. Its décor was of deep red bricks and stark red walls, reminding Namjoo of a medieval chamber. The lanterns pinned to the wall glowed dimly, an effect of the romantic atmosphere for couples. Round tables were evenly filled. Bench seats were arranged suitably around the room adjoined to the walls, where large portraits of painted flowers hanged. tree branches pinned to the ceiling glowed, woven with yellow Christmas lights. It set a calm environment even without music as accompaniment like many other restaurants. But they weren’t sitting anywhere near.

A VIP room at the back opened for them and they were led in. The dark Maplewood table had a rotating tabletop that had Namjoo interestingly playing with it till Jongin gave her the eye to stop. Turning to the waitress he asked for two glasses of water and waited until she left. By then Namjoo urgently grabbed the menu, wondering what was for lunch and Jongin better be paying.

“I know,” she murmured, “people were watching. You don’t have to tell me.”

Jongin breathed a scoff.

“I want the rib special and a side of onion soup,” Namjoo set down her menu. “Your treat, right?”

He looked irritated but did not press on. The waitress walked back in with a tray of ice cold water that Namjoo stared at thirstily. As soon as she set down Jongin said, “We have our orders ready.”

“Yes, what would you like?” she asked, eyes on him.

Namjoo spotted admiration from the woman as well as nervousness. Common to see since this was their imaginative husband Kai.

“You tell her what you want,” Jongin prodded.

Namjoo looked surprised then turned to the waitress, repeating what she wanted. The waitress eagerly turned to Jongin curious about what kind of foods he liked and preferred on dates. What an interesting thing to find out today. She would spread the information on her social media telling every of her female friends that she had met top actor Kai. Afterward, she would be one of the most popular girls just because she’d come in contact with him. Namjoo could see it span before her like a book.

“I’ll have what she’s having,” Jongin told then finished with a flash of his smile. Shyly smiling the waitress hurried out, closing the door after her.

“Huh,” Namjoo breathed staring at the door.

“That should remind you why you should be honored being with me.”

“Right, I forgot, Mr. Kim Bigshot,” Namjoo rolled her eyes.

Ignoring her straight out he pulled out his phone which kept his attention the following minutes. Namjoo thought she should be home by now but since she was getting fed she couldn’t complain. She stared at the wall imagining an oval window with the view of the street. Some sign of the sun outside would be nice. Even seeing a car or two would entertain her. When on the verge of falling asleep the door opened and their food finally arrived. Namjoo waited expectantly for the food to land before her. Once the waitress finally left with one final glance at Jongin, Namjoo dug in. The meat was so satisfactory to her tongue she nearly salivated some more.

They ate quietly without talk. Namjoo didn’t expect talk since they still adhered to their personal lines. Supposedly, she expected a show from Jongin since he’d asked about Naeun this morning. Maybe his intention was to bully her into telling him what they had spoken about. By the time she started on her onion soup she worried about what he would finally say.

“I only kissed you this morning,” Jongin started. Too anxious Namjoo swallowed her onion soup too fast she ended up spitting it out. “Ah, gosh!” Jongin swatted at the air before him, “What’s wrong with you.”

Peering at him over her bowl she hastily reached for a napkin. “You surprised me.”

“How?” he wondered.

“Well…you,” she stammered but couldn’t finish her sentence.

“Oh,” he breathed with a nod of his head, “because I kissed you this morning? Why? I can’t?”

Suddenly irritated, Namjoo frowned at him. If they weren’t across from each other she’d strangle him.

“I did it because Taehyung was coming,” Jongin explained. “Oh, I haven’t told you, have I? Well, I’d also expected you to be smarter and avoid him, like I told you to.”                       

“Like having a meal together means we’re dating?” Namjoo asked. My god, what was wrong with Jongin’s head? A man and a woman couldn’t have a relationship without it being romanticized? Gosh! She was barely even on friendly terms with Taehyung, the handsome actor.

“Stay away from him,” Jongin warned.

“Or else what?” Namjoo challenged.

“I’ll spell it out for you because I don’t think you want to lose your job just yet, right Miss Kim?”

He was annoying but she wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of that.

“You know Naeun’s my ex and you know I don’t like Taehyung.” Jongin explained. “Here’s why and remember it well. Son Naeun and Kim Taehyung are widely known friends. Whatever you do and interact with them, the other will know. Being around either of them is messy business for me, and you in the picture only adds fuel to the fire.”

It took a moment for Namjoo to digest the information. After a moment, all she managed was, “Whoa…it’s really a small world.”

“I’m telling you for the last time, don’t go near them and don’t get friendly with Taehyung,” Jongin repeated. “While we’re filming, you stick by my side at all times. Understood?”

“Why?” Namjoo asked.

Why?” he repeated with bewilderment.

“It’s your mess, not mine,” Namjoo pointed out. “If they approach me, I should get friendly with them. What harm will it do to you? Just because you’re oh-so-popular does not make you every topic of interest.” Sarcastically placing a hand over her chest, she asked, “Don’t tell me you see yourself that way?”

Anger soaked his expression and Namjoo wondered if she shouldn’t have added that last part.

“Sorry,” she murmured and glanced elsewhere. “I’m just saying, if I get friendly with them and something breaks out it’s my problem. How can they relate my being with them with you, it’s not like you’re even there.”

“Because the media works like that,” Jongin growled. “Have you not heard about tabloids? Gossip reporters? Are you still dumb?”

“Don’t you think you’re going a little too far?” Namjoo asked.

“Here’s one thing I think you’ve forgotten Miss Celebrity,” Jongin rasped, “you’re my girlfriend. Whatever you do comes back to me, do you know why? I’m your boyfriend. That is why.”

Goddamn him! They weren’t South Korea’s sweetest couple. They were South Korea’s sworn enemies! They could probably go at it all hour until the restaurant closed down. What she hated the most was how he referred to himself as her boyfriend, as if it was real. Namjoo still detested thinking of him like that.

If he so much really wanted to make it this real, hell yeah she’d make him her boyfriend to spite him. And what the hell? She’d be the one making her own decisions. Why listen to him? When did a girlfriend obediently listen to her boyfriend’s every word? Namjoo wasn’t like that. Kim Namjoo was her own person, the only one she would listen to because it had always been like that.

The door opened and the waitress walked in with their check. On silent cue and with determination, Namjoo pulled on a straight face with an added smile. Heads turned when they walked by and continued staring when they reached the front desk to pay. Jongin handed over his card to the woman expectantly watching. Once she turned to swipe it he turned to look at her.

“Are you angry?” he asked, his tone suddenly soft and comforting.

Namjoo frowned wondering what the hell he was doing and then felt his arm glide around her waist. In one quick movement he kissed her. His lips lingered a second longer, their eyes meeting before they turned to the woman holding their receipt.

Uh-huh, she thought. This public display of affection would probably eat up the news about her and Naeun. Hell yeah, it definitely would. If Jongin wanted to do it this way, she’d do it this way.

Never mind the people watching. It was too late and wasn’t like this was her first time. Leaning into him she slightly tip-toed and gave him a kiss that lasted a few seconds longer than his. Namjoo even let her lips brush his momentarily a second time. She would meet him with her determination, not be wheeled around by him. He might be a big star but she could play the same antics. See how he felt. Landing on the soles of her feet she said, “I’ll wait for you by the car,” then walked out of his arm and out the door wishing she had gum because her breath stank of onion.

When Jongin came back out he didn’t look at her, didn’t even say anything. Namjoo wasn’t sure whether to be surprised or not. She got in the car anyway and after a few minutes, said, “Drop me off here.”

She didn’t think he needed to take her right to her doorstep. Today’s deeds had been done. News would be about the new couple shamelessly showing affection in public. They’d be slandered adult material and she hoped their drama would be questioned. Hopefully Seo Yul would have the brain enough not to go too far with her intimate scenes. Because love at first sight was still not true. Namjoo was not hot enough for Jongin.

“No,” Jongin replied. His tone withholding any kind of affection or discontent with her.

Namjoo glanced at him from the corner of her eye then turned away to stare out the window deciding it was better not to pressure him. If they got into another argument she would be home with a migraine.

₪₪₪₪₪

Namjoo stepped out and walked away without so much as a thank you. Jongin watched her cross the road toward her house and enter without looking back. Turning attention to the road he drove off. Propping elbow up against the window he subconsciously rubbed his lips with the back of his finger.

Namjoo had managed to surprise him that by the time she left him there to sign his receipt the woman was blushing mad. Why kiss him? Kissing him threw things off balance because he was the one in control in this relationship. Namjoo didn’t know the rules. Why let her mess up when he kept his eyes on her?

And wow, he thought, she really did taste of onion.

What was he thinking? Jongin tousled his hair.

The lights and cameras were all set up by the time Jongin arrived at the shooting site. Chanyeol was also there. Jongin spotted the van parked off to the side. Obviously, the manager had spent the entire day with the crew. Did he have a girlfriend within the staff or what?

“How was lunch?” Chanyeol greeted which wheeled Jongin’s memory back to the kiss that lasted a bit too long.

Damn Namjoo.

“Fine,” he mumbled before sauntering off in search of water.

Jongin read the script one more time. He dove right into acting as Taehyung arrived on set and watched with the staff who made sure Jongin did what he was supposed to. At the director’s cut Jongin shook his character off and stepped away for a drink of water. Settling into his chair Jongin ignored the man.

“Good job,” Taehyung complimented. “My scene starts after yours.”

“It’s not your first time acting, why worry,” Jongin wondered then took another sip of his water bottle.

“Not everyone performs perfectly,” Taehyung reminded. “Want to grab a cup of coffee this weekend?”

“I’m good,” Jongin said. Then he excused himself, “I have to go make a call.” Walking away he got into his car and fumbled through his phone annoyed. What did Taehyung want from him?

Peering at the scene ahead Jongin watched Taehyung’s stylist make the last adjustments to the star. A short moment later the cameras were rolling and he overflowed with charm. Jongin watched with distaste and forced himself to look away. Jongin pressed for the internet and scrolled through websites before eventually caving and went on searching for news about him and Namjoo. As expected, there were plenty of comments; each of every kind from criticism to happiness for them. Jongin truly wouldn’t have expected any less.

He thought about Namjoo’s kiss and wondered what the hell she’d been thinking.

The shoot ended sometime past 10PM. Jongin drove straight home after grabbing some food. Immediately showering he crawled into bed with the expectation of sleep, and then he would rise and so would the new day start. It was supposed to be like that but he was restless. His mind was restless. It wouldn’t leave him alone.

At lunch Namjoo had been angry with him. He could tell he’d gotten on her nerves but she didn’t seem angry anymore by the time they exited the VIP room. Jongin instinctively pursed his lips again as if he could protect them from the memory of the kiss. Namjoo had lingered longer than she should have.

Did she like him?

Flipping onto his side he folded the pillow over his head. Was he insane for insinuating such an assumption?! Clamping his eyes shut he willed for sleep. It still refused to visit him. Suddenly tonight the long-time affair was no longer coming.

On impulse Jongin got up, snatched his keys, and was out the door.

₪₪₪₪₪

Hee was gone once again. Namjoo was all alone by herself. Normally she might be out too, but considering her life nowadays out was no option for her. Being chased was no fun and made her panic naturally. She lay in bed soundly, nearly drifting off when someone pounded on the front door. In the next second her phone rang.

Eyes popping open Namjoo glanced at her phone to see Don’t pick up calling.

Jongin.

Oh, what the hell did he want with her now? It was 11PM and she had an early shoot tomorrow. Namjoo lay in bed hoping he would go away but her phone continued ringing so did the pounding. Ignoring the phone call, she got up and walked through the dark toward the front door. Of course, on the other side Jongin stared at her quite annoyed with phone to his ear. With dark gaze on her he lowered his phone.

“Why didn’t you answer your phone?” he interrogated.

Namjoo stared at him bewildered wondering if he was sleep walking.

“Never mind,” he said then pulled her out. The door automatically swung shut behind her. “We need to talk.”

She didn’t think they needed to. “About what?”

“You bother me.”

“Oh, ok,” Namjoo simply replied just hoping it would give him the satisfaction that he’d irritated her and he could leave. “You bother me too.”

Frustrated, he raised his clenched hand up and hesitated before gripping her shoulder. “I’m going to ask you a question and I’m only going to ask it once. Listen carefully.”

Namjoo stared at him wondering if there was really a reason for him to be this vexed that he needed to come here…and in his pajamas.

Pajamas.

Her brow twitched when she glanced him over to realized that he really was in nothing else but his pajamas. Did Kim Jongin walk around at night in his pajamas? Namjoo narrowed an eye for thought.

“Why did you kiss me?” he asked.

Her eyes jotted back to his. She nearly laughed, “What?”

He gripped her shoulder. “I ask, you answer. Why?”

Namjoo looked around. It was quiet. No one was around and about this time of night. Not even the drunks prowling the streets or a stray wandering its territory. Lights were all off for the night meaning sleep had visited its patients. Namjoo should be among one of them, but Jongin had dragged her out…and for what?

To ask why she had kissed him?

People kiss all the time she wanted to say but he looked rigged, so simply saying it didn’t sound soluble.

“Do we really have to have this conversation outside?” Namjoo wondered. “I mean, it might be better for us to finish this inside. You want to talk this kissing business in private, don’t you?” she raised a brow, hoping he’d comply because she knew for one that they would start arguing soon. Raising voices outside would alert her neighbors and might get the cops called on him.

Jongin squeezed her shoulder again then let go. Namjoo breathed relief. Wow, talk about tension. And what was up with him?

Namjoo gasped and stepped back when Jongin a hand over her shoulder, pinning it to the door. “You like the excitement of surprises, don’t you?”

She nearly flipped with nervousness then caught herself. Right, she wasn’t about to be wheeled around by him. Determination drove itself through her veins like a soldier running forward in battle. Namjoo defiantly tilted her head up to meet his eyes. They held warring gazes. It lasted only a moment and then Namjoo almost flinched when Jongin hesitated. His eyes softened then hardened simultaneously.

He was weird.

Namjoo didn’t like this.


***It's all games for Namjoo but Jongin is otherwise xD