Fee-Fie-Foe-Fum

Celebrity Girlfriend

₪₪₪₪₪

Deeply sighing he kicked the ground before turning to yank the van door open. He hadn’t expected to get into a scuffle with Namjoo. Jongin had thought they would bicker over a movie together then head to his home for dinner. They would end the night in his bed.

Damn plans.

Truth be told he didn’t really like Hee. Not the way she treated her own daughter. Mothers could treat their daughters like friends but that was only acceptable if she acknowledged her daughter. Jongin could clearly see that Hee didn’t think of Namjoo that way. That woman wanted to deny all truths that she’d given birth to Namjoo. She may have raised Namjoo but she’d long stripped Namjoo of the right to call her mother.

What kind of woman did that?

Jongin couldn’t understand why Namjoo cared so much for someone who could care less about her existence. She literally had no one to lean on. It hurt him to see her that way. Namjoo deserved better. And he wanted to make it better. He just didn’t know how yet.

If he could, he wanted to give Hee a piece of his mind. Namjoo wouldn’t forgive him if he did, so he’d wait. Namjoo loved that woman too much.

“Where to?” Chanyeol asked as he boarded the van.

“Just get me home,” Jongin mumbled.

“You’ve no plans?” the manager stared at him through the rearview mirror.

“Why? You want to do something with me?” Jongin peered at him.

“Nope,” Chanyeol replied then floored the accelerator.

Jongin didn’t even want to go home. He wanted to be with Namjoo.

₪₪₪₪₪

How could Jongin say that about Hee?! Hee! How could he?! Since when did he know Hee more than Namjoo, herself?!

Namjoo fumed silently as Joontae drove her home. Slamming the door behind her she listened to the car engine roar into the distance. The lights in her home were on for once. Pushing her argument with Jongin aside, Namjoo happily walked toward the house. The stench of fresh meat assaulted her nose the second she pulled the door open.

“Namjoo!” Hee called out from the other side of the table. Some green apron was tightly wrapped around her body. Spatula up into the air as she greeted Namjoo, calling her over for dinner. Plates of fresh lettuce leaves and sliced pepper for taste surrounded the center grill.

“What is this?” Namjoo mused, drooling over the food. “You have money?”

“Oh, you’re such a worry wart,” Hee grinned. “Sit down, sit down. You have to eat. I was wondering when you’d return. So, what’d you do today?”

“Work,” Namjoo replied sitting down and serving herself a wrap. “What’d you do to the meat? I taste barbeque sauce.”

“I marinated it for taste,” Hee explained. “Is it good.”

“Of course!” Namjoo nodded with mouth full.

“That’s good,” Hee sat down and busied herself with flipping the meat.

“I’ll do it,” Namjoo offered, “you eat, too.”

Hee handed the spatula over and helped herself to the food.

“Why didn’t you call me earlier?” Namjoo wondered. “You said you came home previously.”

“I was about to get to that,” Hee her fingers. “I met a reporter the other day.”

“Reporter?” Namjoo repeated, attention perked. “I told you not to talk to them.”

“There’s no harm done,” Hee shook her head, not understanding the urgency of the situation. “I didn’t give away any information and I didn’t make anything up this time.”

Namjoo stared at her, debating whether to take her word for it. “What’d you tell him?”

“Well, first of all, he wanted to know about your relationships,” Hee informed. “Anyway, how did you and that superstar meet? You never told me.”

“Why does that matter?” Namjoo wondered.

“Well, you never told me,” Hee reminded, “you blasted yourself all over the tabloids without warning anyone. Did you two really have that night?”

“Hee!” Namjoo raised her voice.

“I just want to know,” Hee innocently said.

Huffing, Namjoo asked, “Is this what the reporter wants to know?” then grilling the woman, “Who is he? This reporter, what’s his name. Did he give you his business card?” Namjoo demanded, “Give it to me.”

“Namjoo,” Hee, still playing innocent, called. “We just had a friendly chat. He didn’t give me anything.”

“A friendly chat,” Namjoo repeated with implied sarcasm, “did he pay you for information? What did he promise you?”

“It’s not like that…”

“Hee!” Namjoo raised her voice again.

“I’m just worried about you,” Hee pushed. “You work so hard and so many people care about you, but you can’t see it. Don’t you think it’s better for me to know your story if you don’t want me saying things I shouldn’t? I’m doing this for your sake.”

“And they’ll find out you’re my mother!” Namjoo screamed. Hee stared back at her, face flushed yet completely blank with no reaction or bewilderment. It was a sight to see that Namjoo felt crossed. “If you’re doing this for my sake, don’t talk to them. Don’t say anything. Please.”

Swiveling around, Namjoo stomped off to her bedroom. Slamming the door, she plopped onto her bed feeling anguished. And she was angry with herself for expecting something out of Hee, as if that woman would suddenly bask her in affection like a mother would a daughter after a long trip away.

Jongin was right. Hee didn’t really care.

It burned.

₪₪₪₪₪

“Hi,” Minseok waved, catching Taehyung’s attention once he stepped off the van.

The infamous gossip reporter was leaning against his car parked in the employee only zone. Taehyung stared, taking a double glance to make sure he was seeing the right person. Waving his manager away, Taehyung walked toward the manager with script rolled up in hand.

“I’m Kim Minseok, reporter,” he introduced himself.

“I know who you are,” Taehyung said. “Is there something I can help you with?”

“I see they’re still preparing for the morning shoot,” Minseok glanced past the handsome actor. “Are you up for filming?”

“My shoot is in the afternoon,” Taehyung replied.

“Then, can I have the honor of getting a small interview?” Minseok wondered.

“What’s this about?” Taehyung asked unaware that there were any more interviews to promote their drama.

“I’m doing a focus on actress Kim Namjoo,” Minseok smiled.

₪₪₪₪₪

As usual, everyone was busy setting up lighting equipment and cameras. After her stylist left her, Namjoo couldn’t help but look around for Jongin. How should she approach him? Was she supposed to apologize first? But he’d gotten on her nerves first. What if he was even more upset than she imagined? What then?

She’d been so rude yesterday she felt apologetic.

Spotting him from afar, Namjoo started toward him but was stopped by one of the staff.

“Tomorrow at dawn we’ll be setting out to Jangsu,” the staff handed her a sheet of information, “here’s where we’ll be staying overnight for the shoot. We’ll be there for approximately two days, make sure to pack extra clothing. I’ve already informed your manager…”

Namjoo nodded repeatedly, wishing she’d walk away soon. She wanted to get to Jongin and didn’t know what she’d say, but she was sure she’d figure something out. They’d fought before but not as a couple.

₪₪₪₪₪

He would go down the list. That was how he was going to go. Starting from her co-workers.

Minseok had seen pictures of Taehyung and Namjoo. Dinner one night, was it? Appearing cozy together and friendly. How well did they know each other? How deeply did they care for each other? How was their relationship?

“I’m not sure I can say much,” Taehyung honestly said.

They were in the lounge of the broadcasting station. It was the nearest and most readily available place for them to have a talk. Without the prop of a coffee or some refreshment, it just looked like two man catching up.

“The reporters have already written all there is to say,” Taehyung told. “What I say will be just as boring.”

“Then,” Minseok tried, “what was your first impression of her?”

“I didn’t have one, to be honest,” Taehyung appeared bored.

Minseok needed an edge in order to pry harder. He was sure that Taehyung knew something about Namjoo. Why have dinner then?

“But you two are friends?” Minseok asked.

“Yes, we are,” Taehyung affirmed.

“Just getting to know each other or…”

“Enough to know some secrets,” Taehyung smiled.

Secrets…

Minseok raised a brow. “What kind of secrets?”

“Can’t say,” Taehyung teased. “That’s why it’s a secret.”

Taehyung excused himself after glancing at his watch. A minute later, Minseok watched the man head toward the studio for filming. His adrenaline was pumping and he really wished he could get his hands on better information. Had Hee not been able to pry any information out of Namjoo as she promised she would? If Hee couldn’t get any farther than a tight-lipped Namjoo, would he have to end up buying information?

Minseok chewed his lower lip. By the end of Namjoo’s career, he might end up blowing up his own bank account.

But Taehyung had intentionally done it. There was a secret and Minseok would find that out.

He would.

“Excuse me.” Minseok wheeled around to discover a tiny young woman in a t-shirt and faded jeans. Not anyone with a name he deducted. What would he have to do with her?

“Yes, hello,” Minseok greeted. “Can I help you?”

“You’re a reporter?” the woman squeaked, eyes carefully swimming around the empty lounge.

His brow shot up. His antennas were coming back to life and they told him something good was going to happen. “Yes, I am.”

₪₪₪₪₪

Jongin didn’t want to talk to her. The entire day had been spent under his mask of a professional actor. On camera, he slipped into character, coolly looking at her, saying his lines, just merely acting with her. Off camera he hurriedly slipped away to prepare for the next scene.

He was ignoring her.

Why?

Because she didn’t listen to his good intentions?

Namjoo anxiously flicked her nail against each other. Hee was actually no more careful than she was. The woman always expected something out of a favor just like Namjoo had swum into being a celebrity for her fair share of monetary gain. Hee would want money too. So what reporter had tipped her off?

Namjoo was frustrated. If she was going to fall as a celebrity, she wanted to fall fast, sure, but she wanted to fall without hurting anyone. And anyone meant Kim Jongin. Before the drama was over, Namjoo couldn’t lose anything. She didn’t want lawful trouble with Hyunki. She feared the money she might owe the company would be 10 times greater than what she was getting now.

Yes, she was very afraid what Hee could tell a reporter. What if Hee was given enough money to give the slip that she was a mother? Kim Namjoo’s mother?

Kim Namjoo who had lied.

She’d be branded the liar she never wanted to be.

A pending thought. Would she be able to leave Jongin? Who would have known that she’d get so far in with him? Mr. Bigshot. The jerk.

Namjoo chewed on her lip.

“We’re here,” her manager called.

Attention revved, Namjoo turned to look at the yellow glow coming from her tiny home. That meant Hee was home. Hee was making dinner or Hee was preparing to head out. A part of her heart sunk. Had she built an illusion of Hee? Or had she really known the woman as she grew up? Namjoo had learned everything in life from her.

“Pack light. We leave early, so get some good rest,” Joontae reminded.

“I know,” Namjoo replied and grabbing her back, slipped out of the car.

Hee was pulling on fishnet tights when Namjoo walked in. Her mini-dress slipped further and further up her mid-thighs. Namjoo turned away from the sight unable to sink in the fact that she, too, had worn something like that once.

She’d learned everything from Hee. She’d been like Hee. How many men a night had she flirted with? And yet, Jongin still made her feel worthy of being wanted.

How deep of a liar she was sunk to the core.

Shame grew over her four-folds.

“What?” Hee demanded. “Can’t look at me? Don’t worry, I’m not meeting any reporter. I won’t be home for a few days, so you won’t have to deal with me or my lousy mouth for that matter. Enjoy your celebrity life, whoever knows how long that will last.” Shimmying her dress down she snatched her bag and as she walked past said, “Have fun while you’re still in your high chair.”

When the door slammed close, Namjoo inhaled deeply trying not to feel the arrow burrowing deeper in her heart. Something about Hee made her hurt all the more.

Hee was all she had. Hee was always someone she’d always had, the only one. Was she going to lose her before she destroyed herself? Before this life came crumbling down?

When she became no one, only Hee would be there for her. That was the only way Namjoo saw it.

Was it her fault? Was this her own doing? Making Hee turn against her? What if all along, Hee was the only one she could trust? What if she was just thinking too much, doubting and mistrusting everyone she shouldn’t?

She was starting to become confused. Was this Actress Kim Namjoo thinking or was this Namjoo Namjoo?

Her phone chimed. It was Minseok. She had texted him earlier.

₪₪₪₪₪

“I want a beer bomb,” Namjoo said as Minseok handed her a can of cold soda instead. She had been sitting by the river while waiting for him to retrieve drinks for them. He had come back with a bag of snacks and cans of soda.

“Can’t drink on the job,” Minseok said sitting down.

“You’re a reporter tonight?” Namjoo wondered.

“Aren’t I?”

“I thought perhaps you’d be something like…a friend,” Namjoo said popping her can open. She listened to the soda sizzle before lifting it up to her lips.

“Well…” Minseok breathed, “I’m not sure about that.”

“I guess that’s the thing you learn when you become something with a name,” Namjoo stared down at logo on her can, “you never know who’s a friend. I guess I shouldn’t say that. I’m a bad friend myself. I don’t talk with my old friends anymore. And I don’t think I have any friends now.”

“Not even Kai?” Minseok wondered.

“Well,” Namjoo glanced up at the black night, “I don’t know about him.”

“You two aren’t like this?” Minseok crossed his fingers together.

Namjoo shrugged. “Don’t you have friends? You always have your head in other people’s lives. What about you?”

“Me?” Minseok asked then shook his head. “I live to work.”

“You should do something more meaningful,” Namjoo suggested. “Like write a book. Since you write, you should publish a book.”

“I don’t know what I’d write about,” he said.

“Romance, mystery, a,” she grinned. “You have a knack for it.”

“Not sure I can,” Minseok said. “I have my eyes set on something else right now.”

“Can I ask what?” she turned to look at him.

Minseok met her eyes shortly then turned away. “If I tell you, I wouldn’t be able to do it. You wouldn’t forgive me.”


***Friends or Foes? Who exactly does Namjoo have on her side?