Introduction to...

Celebrity Girlfriend

She received a murderous look from him. Namjoo refused to let it faze her. Despite her determination Jongin snatched her arm and with a pretentious smile and wave to his fans, pulled her into the building. Once the doors closed he pushed her away.

“What are you doing here?” Unhappy and threatening was he.

“Shouldn’t the women’s most wanted boyfriend be gentler?” Namjoo rubbed her arm. “I can’t believe they see you that way.”

“I told you not to come out.” he hissed the reminder.

“I was told to come out,” Namjoo innocently told.

“By who?”

She pointed a finger up. “Now, should we be lovey-dovey as we reach the Madam’s office?”

₪₪₪₪₪

Writer Seo was sitting with Hyunki in her office when Jongin arrived with Namjoo. The two made quite the pair. Appearing so friendly as if they were blood sisters.

All that Jongin knew about Writer Seo was the woman was around Hyunki’s age, had two children, lived in luxury with her husband who directed million dollar movies that were bound to sell out tickets – they never collaborated, ever. Short hair, tiny woman, slim frame, and wore heels inches high to accentuate her height. Today her high heels made her knees bend up awkwardly.

Setting her cup of tea down Writer Seo Yul stood up to greet them, “Oh my, so this is her! It’s so nice to meet you. I’m Seo Yul and I’ll be writing the script for the upcoming drama.”

She was unnaturally tall.

“I thought we weren’t doing it,” Jongin shot Hyunki a glance.

The woman caught his glance but ignored him and invited Namjoo to sit down as if they were having a women’s meeting. Irked, Jongin sat down with a gap between him and Namjoo. Seo Yul started as they sat, “Actually, it’s quite rare to have a couple work on screen together other than a reality show, but hearing about your relationship sparked some ideas.”

“So you’re technically writing about my life,” Jongin muttered.

Hyunki shot him a stare then turned to the writer with a gracious smile. “I talked about the conditions and terms with Namjoo yesterday. I think this is a great opportunity.”

“Is that the only excuse you have?” Jongin wondered. Then he glanced at Namjoo, “You’re not for real.”

“What’s wrong with it?” Namjoo asked.

“I just don’t understand it,” Jongin didn’t hold back. “What is it about this drama?”

“I’ve already spoken with the director. We’re all willing to take the risk of doing this and we’re aware it might not go as planned. I know your girlfriend is a newbie, but we’re grateful that she’s determined to try.”

Hearing the writer refer to Namjoo as his girlfriend was even more aggravating. Jongin wasn’t sure what to take his frustration out on.

“The public is anticipating your performance onscreen again and I’m confident that with your girlfriend, it’ll get the attention we’re aiming for. We’re also driving for a concept that will suit her since it’s her first time,” Writer Seo explained. “The script is still in planning stage and will be out within a few days, but we’re currently doing casting calls.”

“Already?” Jongin couldn’t believe it.

“We’re thinking about Kim Taehyung.”

“Taehyung?!” Jongin repeated with even greater fervor.

Kim Taehyun was his greatest rival in the entertainment industry. He drew in as much women and attention as Jongin. The only difference was that his relationship life was much cleaner, simpler. And it made him look like a prince.

“He suits the image I have in mind for second lead,” Seo Yul explained. “You sound upset, Kai, but you know that everything in our industry is about risk taking.”

He wasn’t just upset. He was infuriated. Why, of all people, did he have to work with Namjoo?! The girl who knew nothing about his job?! What if she ruined it for him?! What would happen to him then?! Was Hyunki prepared to take responsibility if everything backfired? This was not just a risk, but an endangerment to the agency!

Jongin could come up with a hundred reasons more to create an essay for his argument, but it didn’t seem like he would luck out and win. The drama was already in the work and Hyunki had already bid his name. Everything was out of his hands.

By the time, Writer Seo left and Hyunki closed the door Jongin stared with spite, “I can’t believe you.” Then he shot Namjoo a glare.

“A teaser photoshoot is assigned for next week, so don’t get so aggravated. You’ll get wrinkles,” Hyunki took a sip of her tea when she sat down.

Angrily scoffing Jongin stood up to pace. Looking at Namjoo, “You signed a contract!”

“I told her she’d need to,” Hyunki explained.

“I was talking to her,” Jongin scolded.

Hyunki, unaffected by him, said, “All is done. Writer Seo Yul likes what she sees. I think the PD will feel the same.”

Jongin glanced at Namjoo then whispered, “What’s there to like?”

Namjoo haughtily ran her eyes over him then turned to Hyunki, “Will I be getting a manager, too? I know that celebrities get driven around by their managers.”

Manager? What did she know about that? The nerve she had to even ask for one.

“I’m currently looking into that,” Hyunki said. “For now, you’ll be attending schedules with Jongin. If you’ll excuse us for a minute, Namjoo, I need to have a few words with him in private.”

Namjoo glanced at him then as if she’d received a signal, “Ah…ok.”

Jongin stared at her with a glare then turned back to Hyunki. “What are you up to?”

Getting up Hyunki walked over to her desk, “I heard you planned on announcing your breakup.”

“Doesn’t that sound obvious?” Jongin turned to follow her.

“I can’t allow that,” Hyunki turned around and slid into her leather chair. Leaning back with legs crossed she entwined her fingers, “For the duration of the drama, you two will become South Korea’s sweetest couple.”

“You’re lying.”

Hyunki pushed forward a few thick stapled sheets of proposals, “Kai’s Common Girlfriend has become hot topic. The biggest attraction is you. Why would someone like Kai date a girl like Namjoo? Others are applauding you and well,” she shrugged, “the others are scorning and calling you two names, but the moment they find out you fabricated something what do you think will happen?” she waited a moment, “You’ll become a liar. The public will say you tricked us. Just because you’re a celebrity, you have the guts to lie to our faces. Your fans will abhor you. You’ll fall down from where you’re standing right now.” Hyunki eyed him, him into those black holes. “Would you rather be the honest, loving boyfriend or let yourself be known a liar?”

Damn she was good. Had she seen a psychologist to corner him this way?

Smiling so very affectionately she tapped the proposals, “There are some advertisements lining up for you as a new couple, if you’ll let them meet Namjoo. A normal face interests them, and Namjoo meets that criteria. She gives the hopes to fans who dream of dating idols and actors.” She raised a brow, “Think about it. This will be good investment for you as well as a bigger network. You’ve always wanted to be the best, haven’t you?”

Wow, was she good at tricking him. Jongin felt like he was being hypnotized.

“A press conference will be held tomorrow morning. I will announce that I’ve recruited Namjoo into the company and you two love each other more by the day,” Hyunki continued. Her eyes continued holding his gaze. She was serious. Business-like. And threatening.

There was now a leash around his neck.

₪₪₪₪₪

Namjoo was standing in the corridor leading to the front doors when the elevator doors opened. Jongin merely glared before strutting toward her.

“How did the talk go?” Namjoo asked. Even her cheery voice irritated him.

“We need to talk,” he grabbed her arm leading her out, but immediately halted in the open doorway. Cameras flashed into their faces and reporters began shouting questions. Not only were the paparazzi there but his fans and passersby. Mobile phones pulled out, cameras ready to click, and passersby staring at the commotion with eagle eyes. And he had hand gripped around Namjoo’s arm like he was ready to drag her into a river.

Grinning, he wrapped his arm around Namjoo, pulled her closer. He was sure he heard her curse. Raising his voice, “Hello everybody!”

Damn whoever had spread the news that he was here today with Namjoo.

“Are you two getting married? Why is she at your company?” someone screamed.

Flustered, Jongin laughed. He would die if rumors spread that he was getting married. How would his co-stars look at him?

“That’s enough! Stop taking pictures!” Chanyeol broke through the crowd. Reaching them with arms spread out to create space he whispered, “The car’s over by the road. Hurry.” Then as he ushered them along he shouted, “Move! Move! No pictures! Stop taking pictures!”

Pulling the door open for them Jongin pushed Namjoo into his van then climbed in after her. The second Chanyeol got into the driver’s seat they were down the road.

“Oh my god,” Namjoo gasped shocked and peeking through the window to look behind them, “are they always like that.”

Jongin rubbed his forehead. Why was she here…in his car?

“Where to?” Chanyeol wondered.

Turning to Namjoo he asked emotionlessly, “Where do you live?”

Moving to sit properly in her chair she asked shocked, “What!? We’re going to my house?”

“Will you just answer my damn question?” Jongin growled.

Namjoo made a face at him before leaning forward to give Chanyeol directions. After driving through a dozen maze-like narrow roads, Jongin had Chanyeol park a block down the street. He planned to talk to Namjoo privately, away from his manager’s ears because who knew what he would report to Hyunki.

Luckily, Namjoo’s neighborhood seemed abandoned and no one gave them attention. They reached her yellow home peacefully without disturbance. Her home reminded him of a shack. Just a tiny building with flowers out front that had given up on the light of day. Window panels had faded severely in color. Dirt and garbage littered around the corner, cats meowing in the distance, and glued to the frame of the house were spider webs with corpses of caught flies. They might fly away if the wind came on too strong. Jongin grimaced as Namjoo unlocked the door.

Hesitating she turned around, “Can’t we just talk out here?”

“No. I don’t want anyone eavesdropping.”

Rolling her eyes, “No one is around.”

“I’m not risking it. Open the door.”

Namjoo eyed him suspiciously, “You’re not just doing this intentionally to get into my home, are you? I’m warning you beforehand, there’s nothing here for you to take.”

Jongin scoffed. Voice stern, “Open the door.”

Namjoo hissed underneath her breath then unlocked the door. He pushed it further open and followed her in before closing it with his foot. Namjoo barely tripped back then screamed at him, “Be careful! I almost fell!”

Jongin shot her a hard stare then looked around. “It’s as small as my bathroom.”

The stare received in turn was unkind. Namjoo demanded, “What do you want to say?”

“Withdraw your contract,” Jongin ordered.

“Why?”

“Why?!” he repeated. “Because you’re not fit for the screen! Look at you! How do you expect to act? You know nothing, what’s the point of learning so late in your life? Call Hyunki and tell her you changed your mind. If there’s a fee, I’ll pay it for you.”

“Who are you to decide?”

This is my job!”

“Job my ,” Namjoo scoffed. “I’m not doing it.”

His gaze fired up. “I will not have you acting alongside me nor do I want to be associated with you.”

“It sickens me, too.” Namjoo grimaced.

“Good. Now that we agree on one thing, call her,” Jongin ordered.

Namjoo rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. “I may dislike you more, but I’m not doing it. I would be an imbecile for dropping a job I just got offered.”

“You dislike me more?” Jongin scoffed. “Who are you to decide that? I dislike you more!” Namjoo frowned angrily at him. “If you need a job so bad, come clean my house daily and I’ll give you a year’s worth of wage.”

“So now you want to drag me to your house?” Namjoo made a face. “You’re sick. I’m not going back there.”

More frustrated than even Jongin bit his lower lip and tilted his head back to roll his eyes. He just couldn’t get through to her. “Is this fun for you?”

Namjoo continued frowning then shrugged as if she didn’t understand. “What’s it to you? You play a little game with women every time. While we’re at it I’ll even let you sleep with any hostess you want.”

Jongin about snagged her neck but the door burst open and he flew forward knocking Namjoo to the floor. Instead of falling along he slipped onto his knees and banged his forehead against the kitchen table all the while some insane woman screamed, “Oh my god! Oh my god! I think that’s a celebrity car outside, Namjoo! Did you see it?!” then there was a gasp and Jongin inhaled sharply before getting up to his feet feeling both shame and embarrassment for the way he’d fallen.

“Do you not watch what you’re doing?” he questioned through gritted teeth. Jongin loosened his jaw when he glanced down at a woman he didn’t recognize. She was in a tight thigh-length dress, hot red stilettos, and hair curled. Makeup even seemed fresh but it was too much for him. A stylist would disagree with her appearance.

“Who…are you?” Jongin asked as Namjoo rubbed her head beside him.

“Hee!” Namjoo screamed. Jongin inhaled with clamped his eyes shut annoyed. She nearly deafened him. He about turned to yell at her but this woman Namjoo called Hee suddenly shrieked and grabbed onto him.

“Oh my god! Oh my god! It’s you! Oh my god!” her high pitched voice literally made his ears ring.

He’d come across plenty of weird and crazy fangirls but this one…just needed to shut up.

“It’s Kai!” the woman shrank back with hand covering her lips. Hitting him no doubt playfully, “You’re so handsome! You’re even better in real life than on TV.” Slapping Namjoo’s arm hard, “What are you doing just leaving him in the kitchen like this?”

“Ow!” Namjoo shouted. She glanced up at him with a sharp glare as if he was at fault.

Jongin almost tripped over his own feet when the woman dragged him by the arm further into the house. “Sit down right here. Oh, look at your forehead.” He flinched when she reached out to touch his forehead. “I’ll be right back!” then she screamed as she went into a room, “Namjoo! Get over here!”

Namjoo scolded underneath her breath, “I told you not to come in! If we’d talked outside, we wouldn’t be here!”

He narrowed his eye at her irritated. “If you just agreed I could have left! Who is she?” Upon seeing Namjoo sigh with a troubled expression he asked, “Your mother?”

“No.”

“Your sister?”

“I don’t have siblings.”

“Then who is she?”

“It’s difficult!” Namjoo turned to yell into his face.

Jongin frowned upset then turned immediately when Hee returned with a strange bottle of balm. “Geez, Namjoo. You didn’t have to be so coy about your relationship. If you two planned on getting it on you should have told me before I returned.” She giggled dipping her finger into the balm. Reaching out to smother it over his forehead she explained, “Our Namjoo isn’t new to , so don’t be afraid to be rough with her.” she winked at Namjoo who slapped a hand over her face.

Glancing at Hee Jongin awkwardly laughed. “No, it’s not like that.”

Leaning over to slap him, Hee said, “I saw it all in the papers.”

“It’s really not like that,” Jongin insisted stubbornly.

Hee’s smirk told him otherwise. “Why don’t you stay for lunch? Oh! I’ll go get some pork belly meat! Have a meal with us! I want to get to know all about you! Stay right here! I’ll be back real soon!”

She pressed down on his shoulder as if it’d ground him in spot. The door opened and closed a second later.

Namjoo turned to watch and wait before getting up to her feet. Grabbing his arm, she pulled him up, dragged him to the door.

“Ow! Hey! Watch it!” he whined when she finally managed to push him outside. “We aren’t done here!”

“I don’t care!” Namjoo stubbornly announced. “Don’t ever come back.” then slammed the door in his face.