My Girlfriend

Celebrity Girlfriend

Eyes them curiously. Smiling awkwardly Jongin patted her back as she cried the pain of the burn away.

“Will you be more careful?” he whispered.

Namjoo elbowed him away. “Leave me alone.”

Sighing exasperated, Jongin took a step closer. “Afraid that’s not going to happen.”

She narrowed her eyes. “You’re a little more hateful by the day.”

“Good, you are, too,” Jongin sneered.

Namjoo hissed, filled with the urge to snag his collar, and shove him back and forth. “I’m going straight home after this, so don’t bother me.”

“Oh, are you?” he asked with sarcasm. “Good. Be better if you don’t come out.”

She glared, wondering why he was putting up an act with her. Gosh, he was so frustrating.

“What do you want?” she asked.

“Oh, nothing. I just have to validate my love for you by spending the morning with you.” Jongin smugly smiled. Namjoo frowned. “And for one thing,” he glanced at his nails, “I heard you met with my ex.”

His gaze rose and their eyes met. Namjoo pressed her lips together. Right, she had recently met Son Naeun. For a cup of coffee, that was all. He hadn’t even been their hot topic if he was interested, but Namjoo didn’t really want to tell him that. She really had wanted him to be their topic of conversation because she still wanted to say, “Here, have him. There you go.”

“News gets around fast, huh?” Namjoo wondered.

Jongin fake smiled. His thumb brushed her lip and without sounding so tense, he said, “You have something on your lips.”

Namjoo instinctively held her breath when he nipped her lips. Her heart pounded severely, wanting out of her chest. Then she felt the brush of his hand against her own as he said, “Go on and get dressed. You’re the first to shoot your scene.”

Namjoo awkwardly staggered forth and turned to look at Jongin with confusion and hesitation. Swiveling around she halted again upon spotting Taehyung. She held her breath subconsciously.

“Good morning,” he greeted.

Shyly nodding Namjoo scurried off.

₪₪₪₪₪

Jongin watched Namjoo hurry away and glanced in another direction when Taehyung walked toward him. The rival had seen the kiss, Jongin was sure of it. If he planned to make news with Namjoo, Jongin didn’t think it was too smart of him to go in that direction.

“I bought coffee for everyone this morning, but I see you’ve got your own,” Taehyung started.

“You should have given a heads up,” Jongin said.

Taehyung smiled. “Did you two come together this morning?”

“We rode separately.” Jongin coolly sipped his coffee, eyes wandering over the stage crew.

“I was going to meet Namjoo for dinner yesterday,” Taehyung told. “Something came up, so she didn’t make it.”

“She was at my house,” Jongin boldly said.

“Oh,” Taehyung hesitated. “I suppose that makes sense.” Quiet then he said, “She seems very nice. This must be all new to her.”

“If she needs something I’ll help her,” Jongin sharply said. He’d be damned if Taehyung turned the news around on him. One more reason Namjoo couldn’t go running off with him. Rivals only wanted to make things worse for each other.

“It does look like she needs someone dependable,” Taehyung agreed. “I heard Naeun met her for coffee.”

Jongin gently bit down on his teeth. That was why he hated Taehyung being a part of the drama. He was friends with Naeun and Jongin’s rival which added even more salt. Issues would occur if Namjoo decided to befriend either of them…both of them. Jongin didn’t want to think that far. He hated even more the thought that he’d have to babysit Namjoo every day, every night. She was too carefree, too much of a simpleton and she didn’t understand the dynamics of celebrities.

If he and Taehyung were rivals, it didn’t look good for them to share a screen. People would always doubt their onscreen relationship. It wasn’t particularly a bad relationship but they had tension when competing for popularity. And their one link that dirtied Jongin was Naeun. Who knew how much of a stain Namjoo would cause.

The thought of it all brought on a migraine. Jongin was as well as ed.

Whatever Namjoo had talked about with Naeun, Taehyung would know. And Jongin had no clue what it was. How troubling.

“I’d like to take her out to dinner sometime,” Taehyung said, “Namjoo, I mean. What do you say? Is that all right?”

And do what? Go out, show themselves to the reporters in order to have headline news the next day that Namjoo was cheating on him? That rival Taehyung had stolen his girlfriend?

His jaw grew rigid. He could see it happening without effort. Namjoo liked Taehyung. He’d seen it the other day at the photoshoot. Well, he’d be damned if it really happened.

“No. I don’t allow it,” Jongin replied. He glanced at Taehyung, “You see, I’m quite possessive. I get jealous when Namjoo gets within a few centimeters of any men. I don’t even like my manager being around her.”

“Sorry I asked,” Taehyung politely said but then discreetly added, “you never treated Naeun like that.”

Taehyung brushed past, Jongin’s eyes followed him.

This was very disturbing.

₪₪₪₪₪

From the changing room afar, Namjoo took a peek to see Taehyung and Jongin engaged in conversation. What were they talking about? What would two guys have to say to each other early morning before the drama shoot? Hello? How are you this morning? Would you like more sugar with your coffee? Something simple like that?

Namjoo couldn’t imagine it. Shaking the questions off she continued watching. Something about Jongin was different this morning. Well, almost different. He was still the jerk he seemed to be when with her. Nothing different about that. But was he so bold to kiss her just like that?

Touching her lips Namjoo wondered. Did Hyunki make him do it? Did the CEO know that she’d met with Naeun? People had taken pictures that day. Of course there’d be pictures floating around on the internet. Gossips and rumors that she was meeting her boyfriend’s ex. Oh god, were people saying bad things about Naeun? Namjoo shook the thought off. People loved her, because she was beautiful. That day no one had said anything bad to her but “You’re so beautiful.”

Pressing her lips together she moved back into the changing room. People weren’t saying that Naeun wanted Jongin back, were they? That was the strange part. Naeun hadn’t wanted Jongin back. Instead, she’d told Namjoo not to lose Jongin.

This was all to unsettling and confusing for someone not so smart like Namjoo. The puzzle pieces just didn’t fit. Because if Jongin and Naeun were that close to marrying, she would want him more. Right? Right?

“Are you already in there?” one of the stylists poked her head in through the curtains that substituted as a door.

Spinning around Namjoo smoothed down her ballet costume. She would be doing a stretching scene, showcasing some of the stretches she’d done with the professional. Walking onto the stage Namjoo listened to the Ilhong’s directions nodding attentively. And then everyone cleared the way and she was the only one on the stage, the world vast around her while the little camera focused on her. It still awed her how she would only appear on screen through a little box.

They hit the slate, her signal to begin. No music, just plain silence as everyone watched her stretch. It was awkward but Namjoo focused on completing her job. 100% of her concentration put into performing, bringing her character to life regardless of the eyes watching that tickled her conscious. She still had to show Jongin she would be good at it, she would do what she’d set her lifeline on. And she would be his good girlfriend.

“Cut!” Ilhong shouted.

Her manager brought her water as she received pats on the back from the others. Jongin would be shooting his scene next. Namjoo had recently learned that not all scenes were shot in order. The script had been compartmentalized early on even though they’d received the script with Act I followed by Act II. Their next week would be focused on shooting scenes used for the drama trailer. Today, half of Jongin’s shoot would be outside, the other half inside. His outside shoot was split up to be shot later in the evening. Following his inside scene their characters would finally meet for the first time. While looking through the script she thought his character sounded just like him when they were alone. Not the prince charming everyone expected to see in public. Their script writer Seo Yul was definitely a unique one.

The lighting and stage crew fussed around with their equipment. Song Ilhong focused on directing his staff while Namjoo watched.

“You’re not planning on making any mistakes, are you?” Jongin appeared at her side.

Namjoo pursed her lips uneasily. She had done plenty in her adult life but none of the people she’d met were as hard to deal with as Jongin. He irritated her to no levels she could decipher. Being attractive and annoying didn’t balance him out enough for her. This stupid charade spiked her nerves just as much. And she hated that he could make her heart race while she was upset with him.

That kiss…that kiss and I love you.

So irritating.

Namjoo ignored him, pretended he wasn’t there at her side. Damn right she would head straight home after this. Not one moment more could be spent lingering around him.

Jongin was called up to the stage and Namjoo glanced away agitated. She walked away and ran into Taehyung after a few steps.

“Hi,” he greeted chirpily. “Where are you going?”

“I was just uh…wandering around,” Namjoo lied then glanced at the coffee in his hand.

Noticing, he wondered, “Would you like one?”

Surely his coffee wasn’t poisoned. Namjoo smiled, “I’m good. Thanks though.”

“You just shot your first scene?” he wondered. “How did it go?”

“I just did some stretching,” Namjoo bashfully answered. It wasn’t even acting or at least that’s what she thought.

“Are you still nervous?” he asked.

Namjoo shrugged. “I’ll get more nervous later.”

He laughed as if he’d found that funny. Looking at her he said, “I heard you were at Jongin’s yesterday.”

Regret sank all the way down to her bones. She wished he didn’t have to know. So that’s what Jongin told him earlier. “I’m sorry. Something came up last minute.”

“Oh no,” he assured, “don’t apologize. I was just thinking how disappointing it was.”

Namjoo felt silence fall in. Then she asked, “Really?”

Taehyung nodded, “I was wondering if you’d like to have dinner again.”

“Yes,” Namjoo immediately answered then caught herself and blushed.

He laughed cutely and Namjoo’s heart fluttered. “I asked Jongin and he said he wouldn’t let you.”

Namjoo’s expression turned grim.

“But he’s not the one going to dinner, so I thought I’d ask you.” Taehyung’s eyes were bright with all the stars Namjoo ever hoped to find.

A waterfall of anxiety broke inside her and Namjoo grinned. Too happy. Too excited. Too embarrassed but shy. Handsome guy was talking to her and wanted another chance at dinner.

“I’d like dinner,” Namjoo answered.

“I have to finish a shoot tonight. How about tomorrow?” Taehyung asked.

Namjoo barely opened to answer but then turned when her manager walked toward them. “Namjoo, you’re up soon. Get ready.”

“Oh…ok,” Namjoo replied gloomily. Turning to Taehyung she couldn’t help but smile again. “Then…tomorrow?”

“Work hard. Good luck,” he encouraged.

Grinning like an idiot Namjoo skipped off toward the stage. Her lips fell into a thin line when her eyes met with Jongin. The stylist was currently touching up his hair for the next scene.

“Where’d you go?” Jongin interrogated, tone of voice dissatisfied that she had disappeared. The stylist turned to look at her and Namjoo wished they didn’t have to have this conversation in front of anyone.

“Here, there,” she replied stopping adjacent of him.

“You went looking for him,” Jongin merely stated, merely assumed. Namjoo narrowed her eyes, gave him a once over, and then glanced at the stylist hoping she’d hurry up and leave.

“I didn’t say that,” Namjoo crossed her arms and looked away hoping her eyes didn’t give it away. So Jongin didn’t want her to have dinner with Taehyung. Well, who was he to stop her now? Because hell, she was going to have dinner with him! Kim Taehyung!

“Do I have to spell it out for you?” Jongin asked with an undertone of anger. “What you’re doing, with who, and why you shouldn’t?!”

Biting her lower lip, she turned to look at him. “Why are you so angry?”

“You can go,” Jongin brushed the stylist’s hand off him.

Like finally!

Namjoo huffed and watched her walk away. She would probably gossip to the other girls that she and super star Kim Kai were having an argument. Oh, the gossip would be spicy.

“Get into places, hurry people!” Director Song Ilhong shouted.

Namjoo and Jongin glared at each other. They stepped away from each other and on the count of 3 the cameras began rolling. Her heart still pounded within her chest, that fire erupting slowly. Jongin, Jongin, Jongin! He angered her so and yet she still had to suppress it and perform with him. How hateful!

Following the details on script carefully she moved, spoke her witty lines, and stared Jongin in the eyes hoping he knew he had pissed her off. Instead, sparks flew off like magnificent fireworks in the black lit sky. Heat radiated in front of the rolling camera. Tension built up to heights. It was all the exact details screenwriter Seo Yul wanted. In her script the concept was love at first sight. Love can go the wrong way; the first, second, or third may not always be the soulmate. There may not even be a soulmate but eventually someone worth living for. When you no longer breathe and feel heavy but become the weight of air. When, once upon a sunny day, you can sit at your favorite coffee shop, drink coffee, watch life pass by, and just smile. Loving wrong may also turn into loving right. Those were the lessons to be learned.

Yep, Namjoo agreed, Seo Yul was definitely a romantic writer indeed. But that was not Namjoo. That was not her life. Her life originated around self-centered celebrity and a mother who didn’t want to be her mother. So many things to grumble about, but Namjoo didn’t do that. What she did was focus on her character.

Her character was love struck. Jongin was love struck. They were enchanted. A pair in love at first sight, even though she had a lover already. They were a pair that wanted to touch intimately as if they’d known each other for an infinity. A pair that came from the same mold and skin. Home to each other. They were a pair that would travel a thousand miles across land and water to be. Take on all sorts of swords and knives.

Those kinds of lovers.

Namjoo wanted to throw up. Seo Yul had explained the kind of lovers she wanted them to portray. Namjoo still believed it was nonsense.

Yet here she was, touching Jongin as naturally as if he was water. Lover to her eyes. The soulmate. Stretching together. Bodies brushing, arms touching, eyes locked. Intimate.

They were acting, but Namjoo gulped anyway. She was pissed off but Jongin cut off her breath anyway.

She hated him.

His body was sturdy. He was lean. Tall. Excessively handsome against her own permission. Namjoo nearly leaned all her weight against him. And then, “CUT!”

Breaking away immediately she sidestepped away and looked around for her manager. felt dry. She wanted water. And to be far, far away from Kim Jongin. Her fake boyfriend.

“Good job,” she heard people saying at her back. No longer caring she walked away in search of her manager.

She really wanted water.

₪₪₪₪₪

Escaping early, Namjoo retreated to the van. Manager Kwak was still occupied outside on the phone – a personal call he’d said – and while smoking a cigarette. At least that’s what he’d been doing firsthand when shooting ended. Now Namjoo wasn’t quite sure where he’d gone, but it didn’t matter. She was going to head home soon.

Comfortably leaning back in her leather chair, she let herself have a shuteye. A few minutes passed with calm silence then the door opened. Joontae should be getting into the driver’s seat and driving off.

He didn’t.

Namjoo opened her eyes to see Jongin standing at the open door like some ungodly human being the white light of day shining at his back. She almost groaned. What now?

“Get out.” he said.

“I’m going home. Leave me alone,” Namjoo mumbled. She was so done with him today. No longer understanding him nonetheless herself.

“My car is outside, we’re going in it.”

Opening her eyes, she stiffly raised her voice, “Well, I know Chanyeol is driving you. I’m not interested.”

My car,” Jongin repeated impatiently. “People are watching. Are you going to put up a fight?”

Namjoo narrowed her eyes. He was so demanding. And she was always going at his call. Was she on his leash?

Biting her tongue, she slid out of her seat and felt him take her hand as she stepped out. Indeed, there were people watching.

“Take your time and enjoy yourselves,” the director called out to them. “We’ll start shooting around 7.”

Jongin waved and nodded then led her toward the Jaguar parked across the street. She thought he’d come with Chanyeol this morning. Maybe not.

“What are you doing?” Namjoo mumbled.

“I told you I’m going to give you a kiss today, didn’t I?” 


***So did Namjoo get a freebie kiss earlier? xDDD We will find out next chapter!