On Your Mind

Celebrity Girlfriend

“Naeun!” Taehyung shouted running up to her.

Namjoo watched the actor approach his friend and greet her warmly. Taehyung turned behind him and waved his arm. Someone from the crowd moved toward the van to unload the snacks and coffee Naeun had brought. Unknowingly, a sense of dread spread through Namjoo.

Had the A-list actress come because she’d said so? Or had it already been planned between her and Taehyung? This wasn’t a surprise visit, was it?

What about Jongin?

It was too late for Namjoo to look elsewhere. Taehyung and Naeun had already sighted her and were on their way over.

“We meet again,” Naeun smiled.

“Oh…yea,” Namjoo weakly returned the grin then looked elsewhere.

“I told Naeun how good a job you were doing. I told her you’re a natural and she says I’m exaggerating,” Taehyung explained happily. “She has no schedule today, so I invited her.”

“I’m not a bother, am I?” Naeun wondered.

Well, that wasn’t exactly her decision to make.

Anxious, Namjoo gripped onto her cup of coffee. “I’m just surprised. I actually didn’t know you were coming.”

“I didn’t give it away this morning?” Naeun wondered.

Namjoo shook her head. “Will you be here all day?”

Naeun’s eyes trailed away from hers then she said, “I don’t think I should.”

Namjoo only turned when Jongin approached. He stopped right beside her.

“Jongin,” Naeun greeted friendlily. “I ran into Namjoo this morning. She was telling me how strange you’ve been lately and that a visit from someone you know might bring you back to normal.”

Namjoo’s eyes darted toward the side, the ceiling, anywhere but their faces.

“I was just kidding,” Naeun added. “It’s nice seeing you. It has been a long time. Good luck to your drama.”

She exited naturally with Taehyung, the two of them talking about something irrelevant as they passed. Nervous and guilty, Namjoo turned to look at Jongin. His expression was unreadable. Naeun shouldn’t have repeated her words, but then it also sounded like she was really joking. Maybe Jongin knew that, too. Even after a breakup maybe they still knew each other better than Namjoo would know either of them.

That made sense.

“Jongin…” Namjoo started.

He cut her off with a quick glance, “We start filming soon. Look over your script.” Then he walked away.

Namjoo was left to wonder again if he was upset with her for saying those things to Naeun.

She filmed several conversational scenes with Jongin in the building and outside. Luckily, today’s theme didn’t have to do with intimacy. Jongin was all pro and withheld personal conversation when cameras started rolling, and even when the cameras weren’t rolling. His actor mode was on and strong like a shield. He didn’t even bother mentioning that they’d had lunch together at his house, because boy that would have made some news beyond the staff. Each time after the director called cut, he was whisked away by his stylist. By mid-afternoon they still hadn’t had a decent conversation. When she sat down to rest Taehyung joined her.

“How’s it going?” he wondered.

Namjoo stared off toward the trailer up ahead where the staff was occupied reloading and unloading equipment. “Good, I guess.”

“I’m free tonight. Want to do dinner?” he wondered.

“I’m actually having a meal with our CEO,” Namjoo turned to look at him.

“With the CEO?” he asked impressed. “I hear a lot about her. Good stuff, I mean.”

“Yea,” Namjoo reached down to massage her calf. Only he didn’t know she was having dinner with Bae Hyunki and Jongin, who might be angry with her.

“What about this weekend?”

“What about this weekend?” she asked.

“Naeun and I are going to a friend’s movie premiere, want to come?” Taehyung asked. “It might help to get around more, be exposed. It can’t do harm.”

“I’ve never been to a movie premiere before.”

“See,” he pointed out. “It’s a good idea.”

“I’ll think about,” Namjoo promised.

₪₪₪₪₪

If Namjoo thought he was weird these days, he wouldn’t disagree. Jongin wasn’t quite used to being like this either. More like it wasn’t supposed to turn out this way. If Namjoo hadn’t been driven enough to make the first move on him then maybe he wouldn’t be so perplexed. Jongin wasn’t even sure what was going on anymore. Suddenly, the sand in the hourglass was flowing backwards and forward.

Naeun was the least of his problems right now. He hadn’t even thought about her at all. Bygones were bygones. They had promised that when they broke up and he was 100% confident that she felt the same way. The two of them had given their words and they were persons of their words.

But Namjoo…what did she think?

Right after filming a self-conflict scene, he and Namjoo were off. Hyunki had reserved a room at a traditional Japanese house for dinner. The entire menu would be on the table. The CEO always went out of her way to provide her artists the best and if it was a meal, it would be the entire restaurant.

Kwak Joontae was let off for the day so Namjoo rode in his van with Chanyeol at the wheel. They sat quietly without speaking. Jongin was drained from the long day but as busy as his life was, he was always moving. There were no stops.

He glanced at Namjoo who was currently spaced out, staring at the passing buildings. Pulling his phone out he handed it to her. “Read it. In case the CEO says something, you should know about it.”

She eyed him then took his phone. A minute later she asked, “Who wrote this?”

“It’s an anonymous source,” Jongin replied taking his phone back.

“How can they just write that up?” Namjoo wondered flabbergasted.

“Because they can.”

“And people believe it?” she asked incredulously.

“Wouldn’t you?” he questioned.

Namjoo bit her lower lip. “Well, I know better now.” She looked elsewhere then at her hands. “It’s funny because I didn’t even know about you.” She looked at him with a mischievous grin, “So I was cheating with someone I didn’t even know existed.”

Jongin scoffed, amused. “It sounds real enough.”

They arrived at the restaurant half an hour later and were escorted to the reserved room, a room traditionally built from bamboo shoots with an opening to the yard and a fancy, scenic view of an artificial pond bordered by smooth rocks, flowers, and grass. Hyunki was already seated and enjoying a warm cup of green tea. Chanyeol tagged along and quietly sat at the end of the long table while he sat with Namjoo across from the CEO.

“How is the job, Namjoo? Do you like it?” Hyunki asked after the waitress came to fill up their table to the brim.

“It’s enjoyable,” Namjoo replied.

Jongin hoped Hyunki wasn’t aiming to hear something like, “Jongin has been helping me a lot, so it’s not hard at all.” And he doubted that Namjoo would get the nick of what needed to be said.

“Then that’s good,” Hyunki approvingly nodded. Then she glanced at Jongin. “I hear the reports were your ad-libs.”

Jongin glanced Chanyeol’s way and wondered if the manager had been reporting on him behind his back. Then on the other hand, his kissing Namjoo in the restaurant had been his own doing. And people had watched and stared when Namjoo kissed him. Those watchers would have posted something online, and Hyunki always kept up to date with her artists. Returning attention to the CEO, he explained, “I have my part of the job to keep, don’t I?”

A sly smile crossed her lips. “And Namjoo?”

The crab leg in Namjoo’s hands almost dropped onto her plate clumsily. She glanced at him then at Hyunki. “What?”

“I saw that you had a meal with Taehyung. And you met with Son Naeun.” Bae Hyunki said. “How was it?”

“Oh…uh…well, it was a friend thing,” Namjoo lowered the food onto her plate carefully. “Well, I mean, I thought since I’m acting with him, I should get to know him better. Taehyung, I mean.” She gave Jongin a side glance. “And well…I just coincidentally ran into Naeun after a shoot.”

Bae Hyunki raised her brows, as if listening carefully but still managing to shred apart her story. “Well, I’m not stopping you, but you should be careful. Bad news for Jongin will be three times as worse for you. Nothing should happen before this drama wraps up.”

“Of…of course,” Namjoo nodded.

“I have more ads lined up for you two,” Hyunki went straight to business, “and reporters who want scoops about your relationship. Oh, and Namjoo, the public will want to learn more about you individually. You could talk about your family, your upbringing. I’ll let you know when they fall into your schedule. You two have been doing a good job so far, I expect you’ll keep it up. After filming, go on more dates or grab coffee together, do things. You have to be seen together in order to be acknowledged. It will have to work in order for the drama to be successful.”

₪₪₪₪₪

“Was I getting yelled at?” Namjoo asked as they walked back to the van together.

“Wouldn’t say that,” Chanyeol assured. “That’s just how Mrs. Bae works. Or speaks.”

“You want to go anywhere?” Jongin pulled the door open and waited for her.

Namjoo glanced from him to Chanyeol. “Go where?”

Jongin shrugged. “Then we’ll send you home.”

She climbed into the van wondering why he sounded quick to dismiss her. He couldn’t still be upset over Naeun? She would have expected him to say something earlier, but he hadn’t. What kind of person was Jongin when he was angry?

To make conversation she asked as Chanyeol drove down the street, “Do you know what kinds of ads Hyunki has in mind? And what kinds of reporters I have to talk to?”

“She’ll decide. She has the final say in everything,” Jongin told.

Namjoo sat back in her seat. Sure, that made sense. Hyunki had a say in everything. She was their boss. She literally owned them. And she had had the final say before Namjoo became a couple with Jongin. For news. For attention.

Knowing Jongin now, Namjoo had to agree that he wasn’t very happy about it. He was already a well-known actor who’d made his mark on the industry. He had sweat and effort on his hands and had come this far in his career by himself alone. Many loved him. Suddenly out of the blue, in his very successful life, he had to start going around with someone fake in order to keep the attention.

She would be angry too. No wonder Jongin was such a snob to her. There were many reasons not to like her. One of them being that she was riding on his fame and gaining from it.

Wow, did she sound like a sore loser.

Chanyeol stopped the car in the usual spot across from her house. She thanked him and climbed out. Jongin stepped out as well and called to Chanyeol, “I’ll be back.”

Namjoo glanced at him with uncertainty. Now, she was seeing him in a different light.

Exactly what things did Jongin feel about her? Because at first, he didn’t seem to like her very much. She supposed he probably still didn’t. Considering all the fake affection and warnings he’d been giving her consistently, she didn’t think he thought of her in such a happy light.

She was his enemy. Jongin occasionally got on her nerves. He knew well he did. Chanyeol was right. Jongin always knew what he was doing.

That smart .

The only thing though, was that Jongin was off these days. Since when and why? Namjoo couldn’t figure it out. Jongin weird. Why?

They crossed the road to her house in silence. Reaching her doorstep, she turned. “You didn’t actually have to walk me.”

It was late and she didn’t think there was a need to make a show out of it. His walking her didn’t make sense. If he felt like he was doing a good deed, he didn’t need to. The thought didn’t come out of though.

“I met Naeun at the salon this morning,” Namjoo confessed. “I only said it as a joke. I really didn’t know she was going to come. It was insensitive of me to say that about you. I’m sorry.”

Honestly, Namjoo expected an, “All right.” Or, “That’s ok.” Maybe perhaps, “It doesn’t matter.”

She got none of that.

She waited in silence, looking up at Jongin’s somber expression. The flies swirling underneath the light pole behind her stilled and she literally heard the wind whisper. Jongin moved and Namjoo felt her lips open. His tenderness hugged her, his lips taking hers. It had her breath dying in leaving her mind void of oxygen.

“I know,” he quietly said moving back, “goodnight, Namjoo.”

Whipped by utter surprise she watched him calmly turn to walk away and get back into the van. So tall, so handsomely. A second later said vehicle disappeared down the road. Her limbs suddenly felt loose, jello-loose. She turned to unlock the door, but missing the lock the keys dropped to the ground noisily. Quickly picking them back up she brushed her hair back and stepped inside with heart racing, body belting heat.

₪₪₪₪₪

Jongin didn’t say anything when they started back on the road, but he could feel Chanyeol staring at him through the rearview mirror. In contrast, it seemed like his manager had a lot to say and about.

“What?” Jongin irritably asked shooting a glare through the rearview mirror.

“I didn’t say anything.”

“You don’t have to say it aloud.” Jongin spitefully said.

“It’s just,” Chanyeol nearly broke out into laughter, “when did it happen. I didn’t even notice.”

“Do you notice everything?” Jongin raised his brow contradictorily.

“I am an observer, but I admit I may have missed this one,” he cheekily replied. “So you like her? Since when? You looked all cool and buff earlier. Was that an act?”

“That’s not funny,” Jongin narrowed his eyes.

“All right, I won’t say anything. Cross my heart on it,” Chanyeol held up his right hand. “But I sure don’t know about her. She doesn’t look like an easy one.”

Jongin turned to look at the night view through the tinted window. “Yea…that’s the problem.”

₪₪₪₪₪

At 10PM, Jongin reached home. Jongin showered. Wrapped in an old white towel he remained in front of the mirror. He tousled his damp hair, gave himself a good onceover and played with his hair again until it was to his satisfaction. The bathroom was steamed up from his long hot shower. That upped his feelings of pleasantry about his exterior. He was handsome with a tint of iness. Who wouldn’t like this, he thought?

Then he thought about the way Namjoo constantly looked at him with a displeased frown on her face. His confidence dropped about 10%.

The things he knew about Namjoo were not many. He was aware of her carefree-ness. She was a bird with nowhere to land, but she also loved the flight. And she mingled with whoever, whatever came her way. He knew she had no father. He knew Hee was her mother but she didn’t refer to the woman as her mother. Jongin also knew Namjoo was constantly alone in that two-room household of hers. She didn’t complain about it, but he still didn’t know whether she liked being alone or not. Did she like company? Would she like his company?

He drew back from the mirror. Namjoo nearly ed at him the last time he spoke up about her mother. How far did he have to go for her to get the side of her he wanted?

Turning away from himself Jongin reached for his clothes. Once dressed he walked out of the bathroom, leaving the door open to air out the steam. Walking into the kitchen he pulled out a cold glass of water.

He thought about the photoshoot they recently had. Jongin had requested that back hug just because he was curious about how it would feel. Thinking about it again made his heart flutter. He could still smell Namjoo, as if she was right here in front of him. Still feel the texture of her smooth hair and the soft of her neck. It had drawn him in and he he’d taken advantage of it while the photographer slowly worked.

Once the photos were finished he would request copies. He wanted copies.

Thinking about the plan brought the corner of his lips up. Yea, he would definitely get copies of those photos. And he would make sure there were a lot of ads lined up for them as a couple. That would be quite the fun to have.

Jongin didn’t think he’d had quite this much fun working in a while. His work hadn’t overlapped with previous girlfriends. For one, they were too professional to be lovey-dovey in the eyes of the staff. With Naeun, they had been too well known to make public appearance so easily. With Namjoo though, their purpose was to get attention. After all, it was she who’d entered his home first.

It was a for a good cause he was starting to think. Because Namjoo was starting to be someone different. Plenty of models had made the first move on him, but Namjoo was just bold. She was no different from other women, but he was starting to agree that she had a charm that reeked attention. Seo Yul and the other producers were right for liking her.

Even though there was motive behind their relationship, it was no longer just a mask for him. Jongin was starting to think he wanted more out of Namjoo.

Holding his empty glass of water forward like a mic, he asked, “Do you want to stop being an item with me, and be real?”


***So that's what he wanted to the other night, kiss her xD but he hesitated and didn't do it

***Last update for the week!