A Small Island

Celebrity Girlfriend

“You can stay.”

A smile crawled up his lips but he immediately killed it. He shouldn’t look too happy…just yet. Jongin followed her into the living room and sat down beside her almost eagerly. He was careful to leave a gap between them, because Namjoo might still be angry with him. They sat quietly and he tried not to stare, because, God, he was over joyous.

“I was born in an alley. It smelled a lot of garbage,” Namjoo began. “She knew nothing about babies, but somehow we survived because having a baby can earn you compassion. I grew up with Hee and a lot of men. I’m almost like her.” she turned to look at him, finally. “You know what I mean?”

“No, I don’t.” he refused to understand her. If she was trying to lay out what kind of differences existed between them, that formula wasn’t working.

“I had a lot of one nightstands. I’m not who you think I am. I’ve never been successful. This is the longest job I’ve had.”

“So?” he asked. “Then from now on, you can’t sleep with anyone but me.”

“Jongin,” she glared.

“What?” he nearly laughed. “You always get angry with what I say. Why? You can give me a list of one hundred reasons why we’re different, but I still think I’d like you.”

“I don’t like you,” she stared him in the eye.

“Are you so sure about that?” he asked.

“Yes,” she stubbornly edged it in.

“But I like you, so what can we do?” Jongin smirked.

₪₪₪₪₪

Arms crossed the next morning, Namjoo watched Chanyeol install the new lock on her front door. Her eyes shifted over to Jongin sitting at the kitchen table comfortably eating breakfast.

“I’m almost done, why don’t you go eat?” Chanyeol turned back to look at her.

Namjoo had to debate about whether she should kick Jongin off the kitchen table and make him install the lock he’d promised to fix. She’d left Jongin to sleep on the couch and returned to her bedroom. By the time she woke up Chanyeol was struggling with the new lock and didn’t seem like he was making progress.

“I left some for you,” Jongin passed over the container of fried chicken he’d ordered Chanyeol to bring for breakfast. Namjoo peered inside to find three pieces left. None that would fill her.

She sat down at the table anyway.

“You heard from Minseok yet?” Jongin wondered.

“What about him?” Namjoo asked spinning the chicken between her fingers.

“You said you’d set a date for me to meet him.”

Glancing up at him, “When did I say that?”

“A day or two ago?” Jongin said.

Namjoo thought about it. “Fine, but he wants an interview.”

“Interview?” Jongin frowned.

“Because I promised him,” Namjoo explained, “so he’s getting an interview and some pictures.”

For a mere second it looked like Jongin was against it. His expression quickly changed. “All right. We can do that.”

₪₪₪₪₪

Minseok cheerily greeted them the following afternoon during their half hour break. Jongin and Namjoo met him at a sandwich shop for a brief lunch. This may have been a mistake Namjoo was starting to think as the interview went underway. Jongin’s arm stretched across the back of her chair, embracing her from behind as they sat. It was almost hard enjoying the delicious fries on her plate with his fingers brushing against her arm.

“We go to each other’s houses,” Jongin replied to Minseok’s question, “since we rarely have time to spend together.”

“Are your families close?” Minseok asked.

“We feel that should take its natural course,” Jongin confidently answered. Namjoo grabbed her glass of water. was dry suddenly upon the question.

“What about filming?” Minseok wondered.

“We visit each other from time to time,” Jongin answered, “but when we have to work, we work. Namjoo takes her job very seriously. I can’t even joke around with her. Isn’t that right?”

Namjoo shot him a frown then smiled when she turned to Minseok. “That’s right. I don’t like joking around. I believe that since I’m still new I should work hard to make a good impression.”

“What do you think about being a famous celebrity’s girlfriend?” Minseok wondered.

“What should I think?” Namjoo asked.

“Is it difficult? Do you enjoy it? Are there hard times?”

Namjoo thought about it. “I can’t really argue about it. Jongin does have a really big name, I just hope I don’t taint it.”

“You must really care if you think that far about it,” Minseok commented.

“She is a worry wart,” Jongin added with a teasing grin.

Namjoo wanted to shoot him a glare for acting like he knew her so well.

“Is there anything you enjoy doing in your free time?” Minseok went on. “Do you take advantage of it or do you do your own things?”

“Namjoo likes being free, so I let her do what she wants,” Jongin told. “In any way, we’ll be ending the day together.”

“Is that right?” Minseok smiled. “What do you feel has changed since you met each other?”

Namjoo had to pause. What kind of lie should she say?

“Sometimes I imagine the future,” Jongin spoke up. “I feel happier. I even smile when I’m all by myself. I also started thinking everything has a reason behind it. Not sure Namjoo feels the same.” He glanced at her.

Sitting stiffly, Namjoo stared at the tabletop trying not to let his words get to her. They were acting. None of this was real. This was not dating if she was getting money from it, but her heart was fluttering. Imagining Jongin smiling to himself while thinking about her was mind boggling. She just couldn’t believe it.

“What about you, Namjoo?” Minseok turned his attention to her.

She glanced at him warily, part of her still drowned in thought. The other night Jongin had come bursting through her door. He’d broken her lock and had stayed the night with her even if she’d left him on the couch. It was all after one phone call, the first time she’d called him. When the crowd of hyenas threatened to trample her Jongin held her hand and stood like a rock so she wouldn’t be swallowed. Though that was long ago and jerk Jongin had despised her, he hadn’t left her.

“There’s someone to rely on,” Namjoo answered.

₪₪₪₪₪

It suddenly felt clearer, warmer outside. They were slowly walking down the block back toward Jongin’s vehicle. Minseok followed from behind. He wanted natural pictures of them enjoying an afternoon together.

“You like to rely on me?” Jongin asked from her side.

Namjoo refused to look at him. “Never said it was you.”

“It’s got to be me,” he grinned then he turned to face her, walking sideways. “You’re pretty.”

She turned and caught his smile. Drawing his arms around her waist he pulled her toward him. “What are you doing?” she asked.

“I’m flirting with you,” he grinned from ear to ear. Jongin peered down at her dazed and quickly nipped her lips. “Oops, looks like I took something,” he joked letting her go and running off.

Namjoo bit her lip and glanced warily at Minseok. Gosh! Jongin and his tricks! Running after him she jumped against him, locking an arm around his neck.

“Ah! Hey!” he moaned.

“That was unnecessary,” Namjoo hissed.

“What, kissing you?” Jongin glanced at her. Locking an arm around her he lifted her feet off the ground and laughed as she yelped. Putting her back down he glanced at his watch. “We could kiss some more but then we’d be late.”

Sliding hand down her arm he grabbed her hand, pulling her after him. Without letting Minseok know they raced off toward his car.

₪₪₪₪₪

Late that evening the director invited everyone out for a congratulatory meal. News got back that the pilot achieved better ratings than expected. For all the all effort sweated through filming, everyone would go home with a full stomach and return to work as scheduled. Including the secondary workers, there were over 70 mouths to feed. Many of them were forced to park their cars along the street. The parking lot had reached its capacity, but their reserved tables was still waiting for them. Within five minutes the entire restaurant was packed with everyone involved in filming.

Before finding her own seating arrangement, Jongin grabbed her hand and led her toward the center of the table. They sat closest to the director. Several minutes later the grills sparked to life and they started cooking the meat. Jongin made her a lovely wrap and the crew teased them with noises as he fed it to her. An hour into the meal random staff members offered her food and encouragement, many of which left her briefly confused but happy.

Excusing herself for a bathroom break served to be a bad idea.

“Hey, good work on the drama so far. I just wanted to tell you that you’ve been doing an outstanding job,” a girl she’d never met before came up to talk to her. “You must have had it so hard. At least the future is brighter now.” Namjoo received a pat on the back. “Hurry out before all the guys steal the rest of the food.”

Namjoo watched the girl walk out and continued washing her hands. Snatching the paper towel, she dried her hands wondering why so many people seemed to be sympathizing with her for no reason. She stood there thinking and pulled out her phone. Perhaps they had seen her interview with Jongin. Minseok had already published their article?

Hitting the internet button Namjoo went right to the celebrity section, scrolled a bit, and felt close up. She might not really end up in the ER, but her ghost had already flown there. Someone had published an article and Hee’s picture was on it.

Punching the button, Namjoo scrolled through the page. Her eyes darted all over the place. The title read: New Celebrity Kim Namjoo Grew up Parentless. Her heart thudded and she internally screamed. Hee had woven some fake, heartbreaking story about her – their – past. Hee, her savior, had raised her in place of the people who abandoned her. Published was their backbreaking story about residing in a shack, eating one meal a day, and struggling to become rags that never went to riches. And there was her picture plastered on the page with a huge grin that called attention.

She couldn’t be eating right now. She had to go find Hee. She had to do something to figure out what she would say in the future. There were certain people who knew she had a mother. For instance, Jongin’s mother. There was bound to be questions. Namjoo wouldn’t be able to answer them.

That would put her in a bad, bad spot.

She internally screamed again.

Swerving, she literally ran out of the bathroom.

“Hi,” Taehyung greeted her out in the hallway.

Namjoo wiped her sweaty hands against her jeans. Shoot, she was starting to have a nervous breakdown. If things went down the drain for her, it would be no worse for Jongin. And then the CEO would have to come in.

Imagining the real drama to come drained the blood from her face. What would Naeun and Taehyung think of her? She would be branded a liar. The shame she would have to live with literally made her ghost collapse to the floor.

“Namjoo?” Taehyung called out.

“I have…I have to go,” Namjoo started to walk by, but stopped when Taehyung grabbed her shoulder to wheel her around.

“There’s also an exit over there,” Taehyung said.

Without say, Namjoo let him wheel her out. It turned out they’d gone out the back door because there stood a garbage disposal beside them. “This way,” Taehyung led her toward the parking lot.

“Where are we going?” Namjoo wondered.

Stepping away from her, Taehyung sat down by the sidewalk’s edge that dropped into the parking lot. Namjoo stared down at him before taking a seat by his side. The half of her shook her, pulling and tugging. She couldn’t be here right now sitting beside this man and having a conversation.

“You have something to say?” Namjoo asked.

“Me too,” he sullenly started, eyes on the concrete. “I don’t have parents.”

Namjoo’s pursed lips opened.

Ok…wow…

“I guess I was wrong about you,” he admitted. He sounded sad, regretful.

More surprise flurried through her. She suddenly felt as if she’d been into some hole, because out of the blue, nothing seemed to be making sense. At least not anymore. Things were falling out of place and her control was slipping. Where was the remote to stop this?

“But I do think people like us get lonely from time to time,” Taehyung went on. “I’m sorry for trying you out, because I didn’t believe in your relationship with Jongin. I thought he could still get back with Naeun. All this time, I wasn’t being sincere. That was immature of me.”

Namjoo’s brow sank down onto her face. If she could extend her arm and tell him to stop, she would. In that instant, she was merely too mindblown.

Taehyung had what with her?

“W…wait, what?” Namjoo’s lids fluttered.

“I wanted you and Jongin to break up,” Taehyung confessed. “I tried to bring Naeun up for that reason. If you realized he loved her more, you’d let him go then they could get back together.”

Staring at him Namjoo wondered what exactly she was supposed to be feeling right now. She was an entire mix of emotions and probably needed to be somewhere far away from these insane celebrities.

“We should probably go in,” Taehyung suggested when she gave him no reaction. Figuring he’d stunned her he got up to his feet and waited for her.

“You should…go in first,” Namjoo told. “I’ll be in in a bit.”

He didn’t even call her name or remain persistent like he once would. She listened to his footsteps fade, the door open and close.

₪₪₪₪₪

Too many minutes had gone by. Namjoo wasn’t yet back from her bathroom break. Jongin turned to glance around behind him. Steam floated off grills, chatter loud around him, and people moving to and fro from one table to another to share drinks.

“I have to admit I’m really surprised,” the director began chatting him up, “so I applaud you for your compassion. Your girlfriend is sure a lucky woman. From having nothing to having everything.”

“What?” he asked wondering if the director was drunk.

“I’m talking about your girlfriend, Namjoo. The new actress in your agency,” the director said. “She’s had a hard time. It’s no wonder she’s only hitting fame now. They do say that good people live good, fulfilling lives. She’s a good example of that.”

Jongin merely stared at the director, trying to piece together the strange puzzle he had just been handed. What about Namjoo? What good, fulfilling life was she finally living? More likely, where was she?

“You don’t know what I’m talking about?” the director wondered. “Then you didn’t see the article. You didn’t even know that about her?”

“I know!” Jongin raised his voice unintentionally. He wasn’t about to let anyone find out he knew nothing about the woman he liked. “I’m going to go find her.” getting up he walked down the hallway leading to the bathrooms. After inquiring he decided Namjoo was no longer there.

The following tantalizing minutes was spent browsing the restaurant he didn’t remember was so large. Passing by hee-hawing laughter he pushed his way out the doorway and took a breath of relief when he discovered a figure standing on the sidewalk.

“What are you doing out here?” he scolded walking toward her.

Namjoo turned to look at him then away.

Heart softening, he worried, “What’s wrong?”

“I have to go,” she glanced at him.

“Go where? We’re still eating inside. Everyone’s still celebrating,” he said. “The other staff members have been asking about you. This is a good time to get to know everyone.” He reached for her hand. “Come on, lets go back inside.”

She didn’t budge.

“Namjoo,” he tried again.

“There are some things I have to figure out,” Namjoo excused. “I’d like to go home.”

His eyes darted toward the road when a cab drove up. Maybe she was taxed for the day or perhaps she was worried about Hee.

Jongin released her. “Ok then. Good night. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Good night, Jongin,” she smiled. Stepping away she opened the back door and slid into the cab. He stood there, watching until it disappeared down the road.

The following day chaos ensued on set. Their main actress did not show up for work.


***It's kind of funny because Taehyung thinks the article is real and chooses this moment to admit his motive but at the same time Namjoo is going through her own crisis but it's also sad because she liked him