Fake?

Celebrity Girlfriend

₪₪₪₪₪

“How was lunch?” Taehyung asked walking up to him at the counter. Jongin had just gotten rid of his leftover food and was now returning his tray. He was currently in not too bad of a mood since he’d said what he’d been meaning to say to Namjoo all morning. Otherwise, Taehyung was about to turn it around.

“Fine,” Jongin replied monotonously.

“Were you surprised Naeun sent the truck?” Taehyung wondered. “I didn’t know about it either.”

“Doesn’t matter,” Jongin turned to walk away. Taehyung followed. Quietly annoyed, Jongin kept to himself. He wasn’t interested in what Taehyung felt about him. Jongin only knew what he felt toward the guy and he didn’t like him. No matter how friendly he was.

“I heard Naeun didn’t change the salon she goes to,” Taehyung said. “Do you ever run into each other?”

“I specifically avoid her,” Jongin sharply told, hoping that was what he wanted to hear.

“I know you said no before, but I had dinner with Namjoo last night,” Taehyung confessed.

Jongin shortly stopped and turned to look behind him. “I knew.”

He didn’t dismiss the surprise that flashed across Taehyung’s eyes before turning to leave the man behind. If he was looking forward to getting on his nerves, Jongin wouldn’t let that happen. Anyone could annoy him but Taehyung.

“I’m going to be in the van,” Jongin announced when he passed Chanyeol, “call me when I’m up.”

Brushing past he headed towards the car and settled in his usual seat. Reclining the chair back he lay there with eyes close for several minutes. Minutes later he was browsing through his phone, scanning the internet. If Namjoo hadn’t guessed, someone would have at least announced to the world that she’d had dinner with Taehyung last night. If she hadn’t guessed, Taehyung would have known.

What could he say? Namjoo wanted to be friends with the guy. Jongin couldn’t do anything right now. For one thing, Namjoo couldn’t be having an affair or her celebrity life would end by Hyunki’s hands. She wouldn’t risk it.

Tossing the phone aside Jongin shaded his eyes from the sun with an arm.

When filming resumed Jongin watched from afar as Namjoo rehearsed her scenes. He had paced in front of her home yesterday evening, wondering whether to knock on the door or call her. Let her know he was in front of her home. Who knows why he’d gone but he’d gone. Hee caught him half an hour later and forced him inside. How interesting it was to have a celebrity hanging around in front of her door she’d said. He had honestly expected Namjoo to knock his teeth out but she was nowhere.

The cameras started rolling. Ilhong immersed himself into the large screen in front of him, his right hand man busily screening the script. The director’s arm shot up for cue two and Taehyung entered the scene. Watching stiffly as current on-screen lovers interacted Jongin crossed his arms to remain composed.

It was just a drama, but Jongin still disliked Taehyung even if he had nothing to do with his relationship. Fake relationship. Fake.

Fake.

Yet Namjoo had kissed him and he had kissed her. And that had nothing to do with fake.

Sometimes, kissing business wasn’t just business.

Giving the fake girlfriend a onceover Jongin turned to walk off.

Solo scenes were shot late into the night. Extra hard work was required considering he and Namjoo wouldn’t be there for the shoot Saturday. Jongin shot his next to last scene with Namjoo on a stage – his supposed room for the drama. Bed, bookshelf, lamp, solid colored rug, and cleanliness. An artificial room that was nowhere close to his at home.

The concept of the scene was: the first visit to his home. More like a surprise wakeup call. His character was sleeping. Not yet awake. New girlfriend comes. Enters room. Climbs onto the bed. Tries to rouse him. Poof! He hurls her over, lands above her, pins her down. Romantic? Heart fluttering? For the female audience he supposed.

Jongin was far from that.

Unease settled in his constricting throat. He sensed nervousness from her. If only she knew that he wasn’t quite used to this either, she’d understand which boat he floated on. But Jongin couldn’t cave because the staff were watching.

Namjoo’s eyes darted away from his before they ended up calling an NG. Resettling into positions Ilhong called action and the scene resumed. He lie there thinking, waiting. Namjoo crept onto the bed, shook him, recited her lines, and then he grabbed her and pinned her down. A breath of hot hair wafted past him.

Still, Namjoo looked like Namjoo underneath him. The annoying and careless new celebrity face. And he thought of the first night he met her. In his home. On his bed. Namjoo on top of him with just his shirt.

Did she remember the same thing? Just not the part where they had because they hadn’t, but it wasn’t like he could get that across her puny mind.

“You’re playing me?” she asked flirtatiously. “Lets do this later. Come on, I have breakfast ready.”

“And cut!” Ilhong shouted. “Good job!” calling back to his crew, “Lets get ready for our last scene!”

Releasing her, Jongin sat unmoving. His mouth opened, the need to say something filtering through his mind. Sitting as well, Namjoo pulled her hair back and tugged on her shirt with a frown. Her eyes questioning and maybe belittling him. Abruptly turning away Jongin climbed off the bed and walked out the door.

He found Chanyeol waiting by the van after changing. The manager opened the door for him. Stars lit the sky like fire. The moon full and plump. The roads dark and ominous, empty and abandoned. The lone van traveled quietly down the highway toward home. Not even the radio had been . Jongin assumed the manager was tired from waiting around all day. He was tired, too.

“She went home, right?” Jongin broke the silence.

“Pretty sure,” Chanyeol replied.

“Give her manager a call. Make sure she doesn’t go anywhere else,” Jongin said.

Chanyeol didn’t sigh but Jongin knew he was sighing internally. Grabbing his phone Chanyeol dialed Kwak Joontae. Jongin eavesdropped on their severely short conversation before the lanky man announced, “Went home.”

Pressing lips together satisfied Jongin turned to star out the window. “Lets go to the company.”

“What?” Disbelief poured out from Chanyeol’s voice. “At this time?”

“Hyunki will still be in,” Jongin said. “I want to talk to her. Won’t be long.”

Withholding that loud sigh again, Chanyeol exited the ramp and drove toward the company where, minutes later, Jongin was riding the elevator up. The lights in the CEO’s room hadn’t yet been killed for the night. Knocking on the door Jongin invited himself in.

“Jongin, what a surprise,” Bae Hyunki looked up from her new leather chair. Expensive leather, Jongin thought, because it smelled so strong.

“So,” Jongin started, “I was thinking about the concept of the endorsement this weekend.”

₪₪₪₪₪

Being crushed by someone wasn’t as romantic a feeling as Namjoo recalled. Maybe it was Jongin and the vibe he gave off. Suddenly he didn’t feel so scornful. Instead, he’d been a man. Or had that been him acting?

He was acting. Namjoo assured herself. He declared himself a professional. Once the director called action he was no longer annoying-as- Jongin but actor Kim Kai. It was like possessing two personas.

Namjoo almost shuddered at the thought of a boyfriend with two faces.

She watched Jongin’s back retreat through the door, wondering what it was he almost said. Good job she hoped. She had played her part well, though he’d made her nervous the first round, because Jongin hadn’t looked like Jongin the snob. Sometimes she almost forgot that Jongin was a proud and well known actor. Slipping into another person’s shoes was easy for him. Unlike her. On set, she wasn’t sure who she was. Was she even acting or was she just memorizing and interacting? Like playing dress up and putting makeup on?

Namjoo didn’t feel like her character at all. She was always conscious that Taehyung was a handsome actor. She always knew Jongin was her fake boyfriend. Was she still herself when the cameras were rolling? Very certainly these feelings she had while shooting was her own and not her character’s.

It was so confusing to split two from two.

“You have an endorsement scheduled this weekend,” her manager said from upfront. They were currently on the road, on the way to her house.

“I know,” Namjoo said.

“I’ll pick you up early in the morning,” Joontae told. “After filming tomorrow, rest early. We won’t be stopping at the salon.”

Namjoo leaned forward, “I thought Jongin was picking me up.”

“Is he?” her manager sounded surprised. “I’ll have to double check.”

Left with confusion and a frown Namjoo turned to look out the window. Jongin had sounded so confident when he’d said that. So what was really going on?

₪₪₪₪₪

They continued shooting Friday and then on Saturday morning Jongin was across the street waiting for her. Chanyeol was nowhere in sight. Were any of the managers accompanying them to work today?

Scurrying across the street in order draw less attention to Jongin’s expensive vehicle that did not suit her neighborhood, Namjoo pulled the door opened and quickly slid inside. Too conscious about the attention she may draw to herself she leaned back into the seat hoping to disappear. Were Jongin’s windows tinted? She couldn’t remember. Did he love this attention? Who knows. Namjoo wasn’t very fond of it yet.

“Where’s your manager?” Namjoo wondered.

“He’ll meet us there,” Jongin replied speeding off onto the road.

“Is there a reason why you have to drive me there?” Namjoo asked. “My manager said he’d pick me up.”

“Wouldn’t it look better for us to arrive together?” Jongin glanced at her from the corner of his eye.

Namjoo frowned. “I don’t think there would be much of a difference. For all you know, we’re already a couple who loves smooching in public.” Rolling her eyes she turned away to focus on the scenery of busy Seoulites.

Jongin laughed. What the hell did he have to be amused about? Imaginatively fanning herself to ward off the oncoming irritation Namjoo sighed and pressed her lips together.

Chanyeol really was already at the warehouse where they would shoot their endorsement, but he was busy and didn’t even look at them. Still new to this, Namjoo prodded close to Jongin wondering where she should go and who she needed to greet. She would prefer to take charge herself but she knew nothing, so Jongin had to lead. The staff bustled around her, carrying costumes, makeup, and clipboards, and ensuring the stage was being set up properly. A long white sheet was draped from floor-to-ceiling. Flowers and lovely couple material was strewn across the floor, props meant for the celebrity couple. Computers were already set up and connected to the camera.

Jongin stopped by to greet the photographer of the day, someone he knew. Namjoo naturally shook his hand and stood behind Jongin while waiting for them to get small talk done with. So they were shooting a small film today as well as some pictures. The concept for the sweet-filled bread was sweetness. Namjoo felt the urge to roll her eyes. Whatever sweetness meant. And she didn’t have a very good feeling about this couple’s sweetness.

Jongin led her to the back where they got their makeup done. He was the natural sophisticated man while she absorbed the look of feminity. Dark eyeliner, eyeshadow, false lashes, lipstick, and blush. Namjoo ended up with more makeup on her face that weighed heavier than the money in her purse.

At last, she and Jongin separated to get dressed. There were different outfits for the day. All of Namjoo’s were dresses and heels. By the end of the day she expected ten blisters on her feet.

By the time she stepped out Jongin was getting his tie adjusted properly by his stylist. She watched, soaking in the picture before her. Jongin appeared to be in his natural habitat. So comfortable and relaxed as if he’s done this a million times over. Standing there, all so tall and brazen without speaking a word to the stylist. Namjoo quickly looked away when he caught her looking. Excusing himself from the stylist he walked toward her. Namjoo oddly drew her shoulders up as if that would help hide herself. They had made her wear a very blue and feminine dress, a designer brand Namjoo would have never imagined touching. She had to admit that she looked very…womanly.

It made her uncomfortable because she felt…strangely eye-catching.

She flushed when she looked up at Jongin. She was embarrassed for being dressed this way in front of him. The emotions flew off when he pressed down gently on the roof of her head with his palm. “Don’t you look human. Watch and learn.” He said as he walked by.

Spinning around with a frown of irritancy she imagined spitting at him. Jongin got down right to work. Seconds later the photographer was handing out directions, the camera flashing. Slowly stepping forward curiously to watch, Namjoo halted behind the staff to see Jongin professionally gazing off into all directions then into the camera. For a few minutes, she watched with fascination and awe. And then she was looking at him.

Her heart leapt a strange beat when he took off his blazer and flung it over his shoulder. The shooting paused and then stylist hurried forward to help fold his sleeve up his arms. Again, Jongin seemed very comfortable with this. A strange sensation built within the pit of her stomach watching the stylist touch him. Namjoo glanced at the floor until the stylist rushed back to merge into the staff. The shooting continued and she eyed Jongin again.

He looked…good. Fit. Could be a model. She supposed he was one, considering how many photoshoots he was signed up for. She even hated to admit. He was good looking. She was even mesmerized. No wonder so many women crazed over him. And they probably really hated her for being his girlfriend, both onscreen and in real life. Fake girlfriend, she reminded herself.

Namjoo turned to look elsewhere when the photographer announced they were finished for now. She almost expected Jongin to come over to mock her, but when she glanced up he was over at the computer monitoring his solo pictures. Right, she told herself, he was just doing his work as a professional. He was used to this. He always did this. And then she grew anxious. They were going to take her pictures next. How was she going to do it? And with so many people looking?

She grew thirsty. She needed water.

Walking away from the busy bodies Namjoo found a table of refreshments. Grabbing a bottle of water, she took the cap off and gulped down the liquid.

“Namjoo?” a voice surprised her.

Namjoo almost splashed the water in hand when she turned around to find the stylist touching Jongin earlier. Nodding an akward greeting she said, “Oh…hi.”

“You’re up next,” the stylist told. “Let me fix your hair really quickly.”

Stiffly turning around Namjoo felt the stylist run fragile fingers through her hair and then usher her off. Not even a minute later Namjoo was on set and the camera was flashing. “Smile,” the photographer instructed, “relax.” “Don’t hunch up your shoulders.” “Put your hands on your hips.” “Look off into the distance like you’re daydreaming.”

As Namjoo struggled to make herself comfortable for work she couldn’t help but glance over their heads to see Jongin standing in the back observing her. It was unnerving. Some people really loved all this admiration, but Namjoo wasn’t comfortable with it yet.

The photographer finally called it quits after a minute and Namjoo was invited over to the computer to look at her pictorials. Some of the pictures appeared no more than awkward, but she would ok the rest because she didn’t want to take any more solo pictures. Hopefully they would know which ones to delete and which ones to keep. She was ushered to the back again and into the dressing room. Another set of clothes, different pair of heels. Her feet were already sore.

Jongin was nowhere when she stepped out. Left alone, Namjoo wandered the set by herself. Everyone seemed too occupied for her. Not sure who to interact with Namjoo walked over onto the set curious about the props on the side. Picking up a fake bouquet she sniffed it. Plastic obviously. Setting it aside she picked up one of the several balls laying around and tossed it into the air before catching it again. Jongin caught the ball the next time she tossed it. Clenching hands at her sides guiltily like a child caught in the act Namjoo looked away.

“He’s not coming today.” He announced.

“Who?” she glanced at him.

“I’m talking about your manager,” Jongin said.

“Oh…” Namjoo muttered then asked, “why?”

“He was given the day off,” Jongin replied dropping the ball to the floor.

Namjoo watched it roll to a stop then looked at him. “But your manager’s here.”

“He has the day off after this,” Jongin said. “Lets get coffee later or something to eat.”

She stared at him. “I want my day off, too.”

“Too bad,” Jongin smugly said.

Frowning with disagreement Namjoo was unable to retort when the photographer interrupted them. It was finally time for what she had dreaded.

Their couple shoot.

It was the main focus today. As if she hadn’t had enough of Jongin yet. If he wasn’t getting weirder by the day she was probably imagining things that weren’t worth thinking. Obviously, she couldn’t tell whether he was playing around or if he was doing Hyunki’s biddings which she had heard nothing from.

What did the CEO have in store for them? Hadn’t they already played enough on their couple part? All that kissing and eating together in public. That wasn’t enough yet? They were already making headlines.

Namjoo pondered the questions busily until she gasped when Jongin slid his arms tightly around her waist. Eyes widening in surprise she turned back to look at him.

“Look at the camera,” he whispered. She looked ahead. Saw the photographer bending down, angling the black camera at them.

Gosh, she hadn’t been paying attention. What were they supposed to be doing?

Tingles shot down her spine when she felt Jongin’s warm front against her back. She gulped again when he burrowed his nose into her neck. Instinctively she turned to look at him again. She was overwhelmed with anxiety. Her body burning up because this was unusual.

What were they supposed to be doing?

“Smile!” the photographer demanded.

Forced to turn forward again Namjoo stared into the camera lens, where she imagined seeing their reflection. Jongin intimately embracing her. A blissful smile popping like flowers on her face as she enjoyed his warmth. She saw nothing else but the two of them in the room.

Jongin’s warm breath tickled her neck. Namjoo instinctively grasped his hand.

Oh God.