Crossing Rivers

Celebrity Girlfriend

Namjoo wanted to shrivel up, become so small that no one could touch her, so small that she couldn’t feel anything. Instead, she just let Jongin hug her. Didn’t raise her arms to wrap around him.

“It’ll be ok,” he promised releasing her and running a hand over her hair. “You believe me, right?”

Namjoo peered up into his face wondering if he’d done something he shouldn’t have.

“I’ll wait for you out here,” Jongin promised.

Namjoo glanced at him warily then turned to open the door and walk into Hyunki’s office. The CEO was sitting at her desk cradling phone to her ear. Upon seeing her she excused herself and hung up.

“Namjoo,” she said. “Sit down.”

Doing as told Namjoo waited for Hyunki to join her.

“I was just talking to the production team,” Hyunki took the seat across from her. “We’ve come to a final agreement.”

She didn’t remember talking about an agreement with anyone.

“They’ll cut down the drama and plan to end it next week,” Hyunki explained. “That means you will still need to go in for filming until everything is completed.”

“I thought it was over,” Namjoo said.

“You still need to clean up after yourself,” Hyunki reminded. “Look, I know it hasn’t been easy. I can understand that you’ve given up a lot of your time for this, so I will compensate you for what you’ve done. I will give you a choice. You can end the contract once the drama filming completes, as we’ve promised from the beginning. Or you can continue to act under my company, but I will warn you that you will face a lot of negativity. If you can work hard and sincerely, what happened now will be pushed under the rug and people will forget it happened. I’ll give you time to think about it.”

There was no need to ask. Not even an explanation would have put it all into words. It was obvious Jongin had pulled some strings. To know that made Namjoo feel sorrier, less worthy of her own position.

He turned to look at her with hearts in his eyes, an abundance of hope swimming around him. Namjoo tried smiling before he took her hand and led her down the hall. Pulling her into a secluded room he closed the door.

“So?” he asked. “How did it go?”

“I’ll finish filming next week,” Namjoo told. “They decided to cut the drama short.”

“That’s all?”

“And I can renew the contract if I want.” Namjoo monotonously said and watched how his eyes lit up.

“Do it,” he urged touching her shoulder. “Sign with Hyunki.”

Namjoo’s mouth opened but nothing came out. Yes, she wanted to say because she wanted to be with him. Walk freely with him in the eyes of the public. Receive blessings of the people and their love. The attention made her feel special and important.

“I don’t think I’m cut out for this,” Namjoo quietly said.

“You have to!” he prompted. “You can’t quit, Namjoo. Not like this. We’ll get over this, together. It’ll be ok. It’ll be ok. It will be.”

The plead in his voice made her feel guilty. Jongin would be slandered because of her. Maybe he was already being slandered. This reputation he had worked hard to build for himself would come crumbling down meaninglessly because of something stupid lie she’d told. It wasn’t worth it.

₪₪₪₪₪

Minseok stared at the blank document on the computer screen. He hadn’t written anything in the last 24 hours. Definitely not like him. He always had something interesting or rather someone to write about it.

Out of the corner he caught the heavy camera he lugged around with him everywhere. Grabbing it he flicked it on and went through the pictures on his SD card. The last pictures of Namjoo consisted of her date with Jongin, the one she had promised him. Always one to keep her word. Here, in the world of moments trapped in time was the newbie actress smiling vigorously at the actor Minseok aimed to catch in his darkest moments.

Since the public outcry of the liar, Minseok had kept himself updated with the news. He wanted to know what was going to happen to Kim Namjoo. Was she going to resign? Would the company kick her out? Or would they fix her mistake? Claim it was a misunderstanding?

Nothing. There had been no news about Namjoo. Even the outspoken CEO hadn’t reported to the media or her networks of reporters. So what were they up to? Were they really going to save this new actress? Then Minseok wouldn’t have to worry.

No news was good news.

Right?

₪₪₪₪₪

No matter what others said, Namjoo wanted to end this charade. If a lie could cause so many things to flip and Jongin to lose his career, she no longer wanted the job. He was better off without her. Their worlds could no longer collide. Jongin’s sphere of the famous and the watched was too complex and dangerous for her.

She turned in bed when her phone chimed.

Half an hour later she listened to the rocks roll down the concrete as she entered the tiny park near her home. Thanks to Jongin, the reporters at her house had lost steam and had flocked over to see him instead. Namjoo had successfully snuck out of her house in the quiet of the night when all was abandoned. She spotted Minseok sitting on the stairs leading up to the playset and slowly trudged toward him.

A sharp pang struck her heart with the betrayal. She was angry. More at him than herself. Sitting down opposite him she watched the swings unmoving in the night, surely telling her they were alone.

“Why did you do it?” Namjoo asked.

“I’m sorry, Namjoo.” He apologized.

She bitterly smiled. “That doesn’t fix it. Does it make you feel better?”

“I was aiming for Kai.”

Annoyance rolled through her and she glanced up at the stars to fight off angry tears. “Well are you happy it turned out this way?”

“Actually,” he said, “no.”

Turning around to look at his back Namjoo said with a quivering breath, “You’re a really awful person, you know.”

Minseok dug into the pocket of his jacket and placed a small rectangular item between them. “If you tell me your side, I’ll write what you want me to. Honestly.”

“Forget it,” Namjoo stood to walk away.

“Don’t you want a second chance?” Minseok called out. “I think everyone deserves another chance.”

₪₪₪₪₪

Namjoo was spirit-less. Jongin saw it in her eyes. If she quit, he might not be able to have another chance with her ever again. What if Namjoo cut off all contact with him? What if Bae Hyunki forbid him to ever meet with Namjoo in public?

That would be the end of their relationship. They’d have nothing.

Restless, Jongin grabbed his keys and drove down the street toward Namjoo’s house. He needed to see her. He needed to assure himself that she hadn’t run off and he wanted to get her word that she would renew her contract. They would still be a celebrity couple.

Jongin banged on the door and waited.

“Who is out there?! If you don’t leave, I will call the cops on you!” Hee threatened. The door burst open and she stuck her head out. Jongin stared back at her after taking a step back. Hee gave him a good once over them muttered, “Look who decides to show up a few days later. Namjoo’s not here.”

Jongin caught the swing of the closing door and felt shudders because she almost slammed his fingers off. “Namjoo’s in her room, isn’t she? I just want to talk to her.”

“She has no business with you,” Hee narrowed her eyes. “Not after all the trouble your company gave her. Forget it. Just leave her alone.”

“Please,” Jongin begged. “I won’t take long. I promise.”

Hee shoved the door at him and turned to walk away calling out, “Namjoo! The arse of your guy is here.”

Though Jongin wasn’t very surprised by how he was being treated he never imagined being called an arse. He watched Hee poke her head into Namjoo’s room and then close it.

“She’s not there.”

She was lying. Jongin didn’t believe her.

Scurrying forward Jongin opened Namjoo’s bedroom door and peered inside. Indeed, it was empty. Hee glared at him with arms crossed under her s.

“What do you want at this time of night?” Hee interrogated. “Do you know what you put her through? Namjoo was so proud strutting everywhere with this new job that she couldn’t see anybody else, and you have the audacity to fire her for something that was not her fault. Tell me, since I’m not clear, how in the world did you two meet? The Namjoo I know doesn’t hang outside of her crowd. She doesn’t meet the higher ups.”

“I’ll fix it,” Jongin promised. “It’ll be better soon.”

“Oh, what a lie,” Hee rolled her eyes. Placing a hand on her hip she argued, “Everywhere I go I hear people calling her names, because of you. How will people forget who she is when she once dated a bigshot like you? In the future and tomorrow on, someone will remember her and they’ll point fingers at her. Namjoo will no longer be able to lift her head up. She won’t get another job. This relationship with you has trodded on her future.”

“Stop it,” Jongin snapped. “It won’t get that far.”

“That’s all you can say,” Hee jabbed, “but what are you doing now? That’s right. You can’t do anything cause Namjoo has already lost her job.”

“Because of you,” Jongin hissed, unable to control the words rolling out. “If you,” he hesitated then thought what the heck and pushed on, “if you were just her mother for one second, if you were there for her to lean on, and if you took responsibility for giving birth to Namjoo, you wouldn’t have needed to lie. Where were you when Namjoo was here all alone? When were you ever a mother? No one would have lied, no one would have covered for Namjoo! And this wouldn’t have happened if you let her call you mom!”

A splotch of color hovered over Hee’s shoulder. Jongin’s eyes traveled over to it and felt his mouth open upon seeing Namjoo. The second Hee turned around to see what he was looking at, Namjoo swiveled around and back out the door. Jongin was fast after her. Catching Namjoo by the arm outside he felt her tug herself away.

“Namjoo…” he tried but received Namjoo’s scream instead. “What are you doing here?!”

He was stressed. He just wanted to see her. And he was afraid he would lose her.

“Where did you go?” he tried a change of subject.

“How dare you yell at her!” Namjoo yelled.

He moved forward to try to comfort her. Namjoo moved away.

“Just because it’s not easy right now means you can come here and say what you will,” Namjoo said. “The reporters are following you.”

“They’re not. I was careful.”

“You’ve been caught before,” Namjoo reminded unkindly. “Just go, Jongin. I really don’t want to deal with this right now.”

He opened his mouth for better excuse but sighed and gave up. “I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Goodnight, Jongin,” Namjoo bid her farewell and walked past. The door to her house opened and closed. She didn’t look back even once.

₪₪₪₪₪

Nothing went smoothly. It was a hard transition heading back to film the rest of her drama. It took a lot of courage to stay strong and pretend that the staff didn’t shoot her looks or whisper about her. Though it made her feel unwanted and disliked, Namjoo fought not to let it bother her. She didn’t expect it to be easy anyway, but it was still hard knowing how people saw her. Not one person talked to her but the director. Even her stylist quickly fixed her makeup and left without a word. Namjoo was ostracized.

For the entire morning Namjoo did nothing but sit with her script.

“Coffee?” Taehyung held a cup out to catch her attention. She glanced up at him relieved that he had chosen to speak to her, but she had nothing to say to him.

Setting the coffee down in front of her he sat down beside her. “I wonder what we’re having for lunch today.” He glanced at his watch. “It’s going by rather slow.” When she said nothing, he straightened. “How are you holding up?”

“That’s not important, is it?” Namjoo asked.

“I’d like to know,” he said.

“I’m sure you read the news,” Namjoo said.

“You didn’t do anything wrong,” he tried.

“Really?” she wondered doubtfully.

“Yes,” he assured. “See, the news can say one thing about you and people can be influenced by it, but they don’t know you or your entire story. Behind that shade of it all, there are also people who believe in you.”

“That doesn’t really help,” Namjoo muttered. Not when Jongin staked his career for her. It wasn’t such a good feeling that he was being looked down on, too. The longer she stayed beside him, the deeper she’d drag him. Jongin was already famous whereas she was only starting. To lose it all would hurt him more than her.

“As long as you’re happy,” Taehyung encouraged, “it’s all right, so chin up.”

Namjoo glanced at him and offered a small smile.

Filming continued into the wee hours. Jongin waited for her despite her effort to avoid him. She let him lead her to his van. Chanyeol was kind enough to leave them alone.

“It was hard today, wasn’t it?” he sympathized holding her hand within his.

Withdrawing her hand, she assured, “I’m ok, Jongin.”

She peered at him feeling guilty when she saw the desperate plead there. Namjoo knew then that she couldn’t lie to him any more than she could to herself.

“Jongin,” she rubbed the back of his hand affectionately and glanced at him with a tiny smile, “I’m thankful. You know, it’s not such a bad thing dating a celebrity. It’s interesting and it’s always a frenzy wherever I go with you. I got a lot more attention than I ever received in my whole life thanks to you, and now I know how that feels. But I think, I’ve had enough of that.”

“We can still do a lot more, you know,” he weakly tried.

“I know,” Namjoo nodded, “but I don’t like all these severe consequences, like you sacrificing yourself for me. That wasn’t necessary. In any way, I don’t think it’s important who said Hee is my mother. I’ve lived with the fact my whole life that I don’t have one. I’m ok with that, and it will continue to be that way. For me, for Hee, so don’t think that that’s an issue you have to take on. I’m touched you tried.”

“What are you doing?” he asked. “Are you practicing a breakup script or something?”

“I had a lot of fun Jongin,” Namjoo said, “so thanks for making me your girlfriend.” She leaned in to give him a peck on the cheek. “I’ll cherish our memories.”

Jongin tugged her toward him. “You think I’ll just break up with you like this? You think this is a drama and I’ll simply let you go? No, it doesn’t work like that. If I have to, I’ll give up everything!”

Namjoo stared at him to test him for the challenge. Then she asked, “Can you?”

Jongin stared back and she wondered if he was pondering the reality of the situation. “I will.”

She could have scoffed. “You honed yourself to become who you are. Hyunki said you broke down before you climbed up. All the years of your hard work and sweat, you can drop it all like that? Become a zero’s worth? For me? Are you serious?”

Again, he stared at her. Conflict crossed his eyes.

“It’s ok, Jongin,” Namjoo tried to comfort him, “we liked each other…momentarily. Romance comes and flies away, it happens all the time. Don’t give anything up for me. Do it for yourself. I’ve already made my decision. I’m so sorry.”

Pulling her hand away she turned to push the door open and climbed out of the vehicle. Shutting the door, she walked down the lot toward her manager’s van and fought hard not to glance back.

₪₪₪₪₪

By mere luck or Jongin’s broken heart, he didn’t come after her. They filmed the rest of the drama coolly and Namjoo bid her farewell to the crew. She didn’t join them for their celebratory dinner, though it was a small one. She saw through news articles that everyone showed up, even Jongin. They were all smiles even if it was for show.

She bid farewell to her manager as he dropped her off at home for the last time. Tomorrow she would go see Hyunki. As she lie in bed she caught sight of Jongin’s black cap hanging off her coat stand. On impulse, she wondered if she should use it as an excuse to see him one last time in person. Then on one hand, she knew better and it would be a source of comfort in the future to know she had something of his.

So be it, she decided. It was already over.

By morning she grabbed a cab and for the last time drove toward the entertainment company that had started all of this. She would grab her check and say goodbye forever to the celebrity world.

Hyunki was waiting for her. As Namjoo sat down on the couch she waited.

“I hope you’re doing well,” Hyunki said sitting down with some papers on her lap.

“Yes, I am,” Namjoo nodded through truthfully, she was nervous about settling back into her normal lifestyle, because how many people would recognize her face on the street now? Would she be greeted casually or would people bombard her with questions?

Hyunki slid over her contract. “As I’ve said before, you can either renew and rebuild yourself. I should also tell you that after a scandal, many celebrities still became successful. You can give it a shot. Or as we spoke, we can end it here and now.”


***Namjoo is practically right. Jongin has worked far too hard to climb up to lose all he's worth for her and it doesn't he doesn't need to lose it to be with her. They've caused a scandal and it's tainted both their images, but Namjoo is less of a star than Jongin is so less damage for her compared to him. Leaving him isn't the only solution she has. Namjoo could still go other ways like date him even as a normal person, but then they're already branded as a couple so it wouldn't be easy considering the heat of the scandal is still in the air. Maybe after a while when it's all forgotten and they meet again they will try again ;D It was a hard separation because they were delving right into a new relationship and were so into each other ;;

***Next chapter is the final!