One Fine Date

Celebrity Girlfriend

₪₪₪₪₪

Comfortably leaning back into his fat couch, ankle crossed at his knee, and arms crossed with a finger tapping repeatedly against his white cashmere sweater. Jongin was bored. The fireplace in front of him was dead, earlier dusted and cleaned out by a cleaner who wasn’t supposed to be in his presence. If not for the recent scandal his schedules would be lined up back to back. That was the way he lived, working. And he was used to it.

Now he was bored.

Maybe he wanted a drink, but the thought of watching drunk Namjoo dancing across his kitchen turned him off.

He wasn’t in the mood for a high.

For whatever reason, due to some unforeseen force his life had become pathetic. All because of a scandal. He couldn’t withhold the groan at the back of his throat. Dumb Namjoo clambering out of his house with his shirt. Where the hell was that shirt? She should have returned it to him.

If she wanted him to so much be the she wanted him to be he should fine her. Letting out a huff he tightened his arms. He refused to let her get to his head. He would think no further of it.

Turning to the side he peered at the script Chanyeol had made him bring home with him. “Rehearse,” the manager had said, “if, at least, you don’t want the drama going down the drain you should do something about it.”

Well, that was right. Ratings were up to him, no one else. This drama was his.

The title of the drama When Spring Comes Around in big, black, and bold letters peeped up at him. Folding over the page he skimmed over the descriptive details. Another scoff from him. Writer Seo Yul sure put some good thought into this pilot episode. Everything was Namjoo here and Namjoo there. Depressed, troubled Namjoo with a broken mind. Where was he, the main? Hastily flipping page over page he finally caught his character name. Seconds later he tossed the script aside.

He just couldn’t do this. Couldn’t stand it.

Why the hell would he secretly go out to meet her like a drunken lover head over heels? And why, he still wanted to know, were there two guys fighting over her? Kim Namjoo didn’t fit that image. He couldn’t see it. That role was well suited for a prettier actress. Jongin didn’t understand this menace. What was Seo Yul thinking?!

This was sure going to turn out into an ugly comedy more than a drama. Jongin could already see it.

Giving up he snatched his phone and walked away. He’d spend the rest of the day watching movies in his bedroom.

The following morning Jongin jerked away in bed when his phone began ringing. His next schedule wasn’t until the photoshoot and that wasn’t until the following week. He didn’t expect to hear from anyone. Not his lanky manager or the CEO. But that morning, Mrs. Bae was on the line.

“What?” Jongin muttered drowsily.

“Get up and get dressed, comb your hair, maybe go to the salon,” Hyunki ordered.

Eyes opening, he stared at the sun rays dripping onto the floor of his bedroom. “Why? There’s no schedule today.”

“Do you have a pen?”

Flabbergasted, he breathed, “What?” Groaning as he rubbed his face, “You should have told me beforehand or had Chanyeol call me.”

“Today is his off day.”

“What?” Jongin gasped in disbelief. “Then who’s going to drive me to my schedule?”

“I told you to get a pen,” Hyunki repeated.

Mumbling, “Fine, fine, gosh,” Jongin slid out of bed and searched his room for something to write with. Upon discovering an old marker, he pulled the cap off with his teeth and asked, “Now what?”

Hyunki began reciting a phone number which Jongin wrote carelessly on his arm.

“Who is that?” Jongin asked. “Why am I calling him?”

“I’ve realized that it’s been quiet these days,” Hyunki said, “so take Namjoo out on a date. You should be making headlines by afternoon.”

The marker slipped from his hand to the floor by his feet. “What?”

“That’s your deadline and I will be waiting,” Hyunki authority instructed. “I’ll make a small deposit into your accounts when I see the news. Have fun.”

There was a click meaning she’d hung up.

Tossing his head back a loud groan bellowed from his throat.

₪₪₪₪₪

“Namjoo! Namjoo!” The banging on her bedroom door got louder. “Wake up! You have to wake up right now!”

Namjoo curled up into a tighter ball, pulled the blanket over her head as if that would shield the noise. She mumbled sleepily, almost fell asleep for a good 10 seconds when the banging make her jump. Clicking her tongue annoyed she slid out of bed running a hand tiredly up into her hair. What kind of fuss was Hee making so early this morning? Did she need a comment on her outfit?

“You look fine,” Namjoo mumbled sleepily, her eyes still closed. “I’m going to go back to bed.”

“That’s not it,” Hee called out.

Namjoo yawned, mouth opening widely and finally opened her eyes. She froze, mouth gaped open when she saw Jongin staring back at her through those narrow slits of his eyes. Gasping, shocked and surprised she spun around with a hand automatically shooting up to . Grasping next her shirt because obviously, she slept bra-less. Eyes stern with dubious surprise, she turned around once more to see him staring at her judgmentally.

Gasping again, she exclaimed, “What are you doing here?!”

Unaffected by her Jongin glanced at Hee, “Could we have a moment.”

“Oh, yes! Certainly!” Hee’s eyes brightened then she glanced at Namjoo mischievously before heading off toward her bedroom, where she unmistakably glanced at them curiously. Once the door shut she and Jongin turned to look at each other again.

Namjoo strode forward determined. Grabbing his arm, she reminded, “I told you not to come here again!”

Jongin wheeled her back toward her bedroom before she could push him out. “You have five – no two minutes to get ready and come out.”

“What?!” Namjoo asked unable to believe what she was hearing. Shoving him back she grabbed her the knob and pulled her door closed to prevent him from going in as well as pushing her in. “You’re speaking jibberish.” She waved him off, “Leave. Go, go.”

“I called you six times, you should have already woken up!” Jongin hissed.

Namjoo frowned up at him. “What are you talking about?” shaking her head flustered, “What?!”

Was her brain working? Or was it dead? She hadn’t heard her phone ring and she’d never given him her number, nothing to let him into her personal world.

“Get back in there and put on some decent clothes,” Jongin ordered.

“I don’t want to,” Namjoo retaliated. “And what the hell are you doing here? And why did you let her see you?!” she her arm toward Hee’s bedroom door. “Now she’s going to get all these wild ideas.”

“At least someone’s human enough to be up this early,” Jongin argued. Glancing at his watch impatiently he turned to her, “Don’t argue with me. Get in there and get dressed.”

“I said I don’t want to!” she raised her voice up a notch.

“You have no choice. We’re going on a date!”

Mind blanked. All she asked was, “What?” but Jongin reached around her to open the door and shoved her in.

In the sanctity of her bedroom Namjoo stared about the four walls. The realization soon dawned upon her and she was left stomping her foot, shaking her head. This was unbelievable! Why?! They weren’t even supposed to see each other until next week. What was this nonsense? A date?!

₪₪₪₪₪

Namjoo just had to make everything so difficult. Jongin heaved a sigh and turned around to look around the tiny home she shared with some other woman. Her sister maybe? Then where were her parents?

No pictures on the walls. No figurines for decoration. The walls were a creamy yellow shade. Kitchen and living room connected openly. He could easily reach the kitchen from the living room with a few strides. One big fat and old yellow couch. Beside it was an extra-large bean bag chair and a coffee table. The television set was years old. Maybe brought home from a yard sale?

The door opened a few minutes later and Namjoo reappeared in a floral dress with a jean jacket. Giving her a once over filled him with the urge to shove her back into the room to find a better wardrobe.

“No makeup?” he asked waving his hand around his face.

Namjoo shrugged speaking as if it was his fault, “You told me I had a minute.”

“You took nearly seven,” he pointed out. “And you came out in that.”

Namjoo glanced down then gave him a dirty eye when she looked back up. With a sly smile, “Well, deal with it because this right here is your girlfriend Mr. Kim Bigshot.”

Jongin sighed bitterly. “Lets go.”

The weather was in their favor today. Sunny. Perfectly clean blue sky. Hushed winds, warm environment. People turn to glance their way as they crossed the road from her home to his hot red luxury sports car, a Jaguar. Paying him no heed Namjoo walked over to the passenger’s door and they both reached for the handle. She glanced at him annoyed. Swatting her hand, he held the door open for her. Receiving yet another crossed look from her Namjoo slid into the car quietly.

“We’re putting on a show again,” Namjoo said when he got into his seat. “Why?”

“It’s a part of your contract to keep up the hype of dating such a big star,” Jongin spoke bitterly. She frowned at him again and thought he would drive off, but instead reached into the backseat. A second later he pushed a cap over her head. Namjoo refuted with a shout.

“What the hell?!” taking the black cap off Namjoo studied it within her hands. “Why am I wearing one?”

“I should at least show my face, don’t you think?” he asked.

Namjoo scowled. “It smells of your head.”

“You should love the way your boyfriend smells,” Jongin smiled. Namjoo made another face. He pulled on his seatbelt and they were down the road.

“Where are we going?” Namjoo asked staring out the window curiously.

“To display ourselves,” Jongin replied.

Turning to him she said, “You want to grab attention? Oh, you’re already enough attention as it is. Lets just go have some tea.”

“We’re going to Myeong-dong.”

“Why?” she cried out.

“What’s your problem?” he asked shooting her a look, wondering what she had to complain about.

“I really can’t stand people coming up to you and hitting up conversations or people shoving their faces into yours for a picture.”

Jongin shrugged. “You get used to it.”

“How sad,” Namjoo commented with sarcasm.

Silence took over and they drove through left and right intersections until Jongin finally pulled into an empty space on the road across the shopping district. Stepping out from the car they waited for incoming traffic to cease. Well here goes, he thought. When the final car finally zipped by in a blur he grabbed Namjoo’s hand to lead her forward. She was, he noticed, wearing the cap he’d given her.

The crowd gasped, shrieked, and called out his name when they recognized him. As predicted, the crowd formed around them. Phones out, cameras ready. Because when did such a bigshot ever walk the streets so freely? This was one to kill for.

People shouted comments, “You look good together,” “Congratulations!” “You’re so handsome!”

They were hyenas circling in on their prey. Still, Jongin waved, smiled, nodded and said, “Thanks.”

“Are you two on a date?” a girl shrieked.

In the industry, Jongin had spent numerous hours practicing, training, reading and memorizing lines, and performing in front of the camera. He did whatever trick was required of him. Today, he was no different. He put on that grin, that proud smile of a lover, responded as needed.

“Can we take a picture?” a pair of girls wondered.

“Can she take off her hat?”

Jongin glanced at Namjoo who’d remained quiet thus far. The crowd had thickened. They were still holding hands but Namjoo had tightened her grip on his. Stage fright. Right, he remember. She wasn’t very good at speaking to crowds just yet. He sighed.

“She’s not feeling well,” he excused. “We can just take it like this.”

Impending cameras clicked, flashed. It would have been simpler with Chanyeol around he mused. The manager would control how many pictures could be taken and who could approach, because who knew which people loved or hated them. But of course, Hyunki wanted headline news. Keep up the hype she would say. That was their only job.

Several minutes later they finally pulled free. They traveled slowly along the road with a subtle crowd still stalking them from behind, still hand in hand. Then Namjoo pulled him over to a hat vendor.

“That hat looks cool,” Namjoo commented pointing to a black hat embroidered with a random bird in front.

“No.” he rejected.

“Why? Oh, you did your hair today,” she cooed then reached up to tousle his hair.

“Hey! Are you out of your mind?” he scolded then glanced behind them. Lowering his voice cautiously, “If you touch my head one more time, I’ll starve you today.”

Namjoo made a face at him then turned away. “We’ll take that hat.”

“I warned you…” he started but Namjoo was already handing out money. The next thing he knew the owner handed over the hat and she proudly pushed it over his head as he’d done for her earlier.

“Aw…come on,” she teasingly nudged him. “My boyfriend should be happy. Smile, because they’re watching.”

He glanced behind them to the girls eyeing them with hearts in their gazes. At long last, Namjoo finally released his hand and turned to head off bravely. Jongin discovered her drooling over some fried dumplings in the making. Before she could reach for her money he pulled her away. Namjoo protested like a child. Against his odds, she found her way back to the vendor. He watched a few steps away as the woman completed the dumpling and handed it over to starving child Namjoo. She danced haughtily eating it as she walked his way. Rolling his eyes, they continued down the road stopping here and there for a few pictures before pulling over to look at merchandise along the road. Jongin ended up pulling her away from stores after she remained there for a bit too long, because people were crowding in to stare at them. Then they were back at hungrily eyeing foods.

They finally stopped for lobster and oyster with cheese, Jongin’s first buy because Namjoo was somehow now broke.

“At least give me a few pieces,” Namjoo pleaded quietly. “Your fans will think you’re greedy if you don’t even give your girlfriend a few.”

Jongin stared at her flatly before eating up the sliced pieces off the stick and shoved the plate toward her. “Eat up then.”

Grinning ecstatically, Namjoo held up the stick and swallowed a huge piece happily as she chewed. “It’s so good!”

When she held up the stick for the last piece Jongin reached out to grab it and leaned in to finish the rest of it. Namjoo shrieked like candy had been taken from her. The crumpled last bits of it when Namjoo tried tugging it away from him landed in her plate distortedly. Laughing, Jongin pressed a hand down on her head as he walked away.

“Jongin!” Namjoo screamed running after him tackling him from behind. Jumping on his back she demanded, “Spit it out! That was mine! How could you?!”

Jongin swung from side to side until Namjoo slid off his back. She peered up at him with fire in her eyes.

“Buy me another one!” she ordered.

“Don’t you think you’ve already eaten enough?” Jongin asked. “I hardly ate anything.”

“You never play with food,” Namjoo glared. Crossing her arms, “Buy me a burger at least.”

Sighing, he rolled his eyes. Grumbling to himself he turned away to walk the way they’d come, Namjoo happily following his tail like a puppy. When they finally found a vendor and he asked for a burger Namjoo shamelessly leaned over his shoulder to ask for more cheese please. They waited several minutes for the burger to ready whilst listening to chit-chatter and cameras clicking behind them.

“Here you go, sir,” the man handed over the burger wrapped tightly in a sheet.

“Here’s your frekaing burger,” he turned to his left where Namjoo was – supposed – to be standing, only she wasn’t there. Shifting around he peered behind him to see unfamiliar faces.

“Namjoo?” he called out.

Where the heck did she go?