Losing Battles

Celebrity Girlfriend

₪₪₪₪₪

Strained from the situation, Namjoo ran a hand up her face into her hair. She’d taken her makeup off. Her hair was tousled from running fingers through it too often. Now she was sitting at the window seat star gazing but not really gazing. Joontae’s backyard was spotless but trashed with children’s toys. She’d never gotten to know the man. Never imagined he was a family guy. Was married.

He had hushed his family off in case reporters got hold that Namjoo was hiding at her manager’s. Luckily, hours later no nosey reporter was stalking her outside. Make yourself at home. Have some food. The fridge is full. Relax. Sleep. He’d said that to her before she made him go watch for Hee, but none of that she had done.

Namjoo felt like something had snapped. Everything had gone awry and she was trying to figure out why and how. Had she and Jongin done something to make someone unhappy? Did they somehow bring this upon themselves? Had Hee been paid for information?

Namjoo didn’t understand.

The papers Hyunki had handed her were sprawled over the kitchen island. She’d seen the name numerous times, but she still couldn’t believe it.

Kim Minseok.

Why? Had she said something that made him dislike her? She’d thought he was a good guy. He approached her with good intentions. He wanted to know her for who she was.

Namjoo was so bitter.

The knife she had into the company was actually in her back. It was sharp and it hurt. She had been betrayed again. Used. And she was going to pay the price.

The door opened and she turned to find Hee being ushered in.

“Will you be all right?” her manager worried. “I have to report back to the company. I’ll be back soon.”

Namjoo nodded. The door closed and Hee looked at her. Her face was soaked in sweat from drinking and dancing too much. She looked out of it. Namjoo deemed she was buzzed. She couldn’t fathom the situation.

Should she be pissed off? Did she even have the right to be screaming at someone?

“Was it you?” Namjoo asked. She could feel closing. Every part of her prayed that Hee had not done what Namjoo feared. “It wasn’t you, was it?”

“Namjoo…” and the moment Namjoo heard it she caved.

No, her mother had not been bought. This woman had not said anything. Namjoo just knew it. Hee would be walking with her tail high but she wasn’t. The woman had done her no harm.

Breaking out into tears because Namjoo really wanted someone to comfort her she ran forward, wrapping arms around the woman that refused to be her mother. And that was all right, it would forever be all right as long as she never left her behind.

“You were right, you were right all along,” Namjoo cried, “I’m nothing but a liar. I only did everything thinking about myself. I became greedy. I hurt Jongin. What am I going to do? I don’t think I can see him anymore.”

“It’ll be ok.” Hee patted her back.

In all of Namjoo’s life, she never imagined that those small words would make everything better. In that moment, Namjoo sunk a little deeper into Hee’s securing arms.

“It’s not the end. We will figure something out,” she assured. “Don’t cry anymore.”

₪₪₪₪₪

Hee wasn’t a woman who awoke at the light of dawn, but she was the kind of person who if needed to get something done, would do what needed to be done. Namjoo had fallen asleep in the guest room. After refreshing herself, Hee traveled down the hallway and found the manager nodding off on the couch. Clearing loudly, Hee waited for the manager to come to.

“Oh…yes? Can I help you?” Joontae turned surprised.

Standing at attention with chin up high like the queen to be served, Hee ordered, “Take me there.”

“Excuse me?”

“I want to go see this lady,” Hee had to spare another second to think, “Namjoo’s boss.”

“I don’t…”

“Now,” Hee demanded.

The boss wasn’t in, Hee was told. The manager offered her his phone to leave Bae Hyunki a message. Hee gladly took the phone from him.

“Hello,” Hyunki answered.

“We need to talk and we need to talk now. I would like to see you.”

“You are?”

“Kim Hee,” Hee replied, “Ms. H.”

Silence.

Where can I see you?” Hee spoke with an undertone of command.

A few minutes later she paced around Hyunki’s office soaking in the sight of the expensive interior. Hyunki watched her carefully from where she sat at the couch. Hee slid a finger over a book on the shelf and blew at her hand to check for dust.

“Can I help you?” Hyunki asked.

Hee swirled around still in her mini-dress. Strutting over, she placed hands on her hips, “I want to know why you treat Namjoo like crap.”

“Excuse me?”

“Am I wrong?” Hee raised a brow. “One lie and you want to kick her out?! Did she steal money?” looking around, “Is there something to seal from here? You have cash hidden up in the ceiling?”

Hyunki scoffed with disbelief.

“So how dare you tell her that after her hard work you’re refusing to pay her her money’s worth!” Hee exclaimed. “In all the time we’ve lived together I’ve never seen Namjoo work so hard as she did. She was never home. I barely spent any time with her! You took our time away. How are you going to compensate that?! And I don’t care about that man, that whatsoever Kai star you have. You can’t take this job away from Namjoo! And don’t you tell me that she didn’t do a damn thing for your company, because I know damn well she did.”

The company phone on her desk rang. Hyunki stood, gave her a good challenging glance before passing to answer. “Yes, hello?” the atmosphere turned very serious but Hee would not accept it if Namjoo didn’t get her justice.

The boss hung up then turned to her. “I need you to leave.”

“I am not –”

“It looks like that whatsoever Kai has solved the issue,” Hyunki stared at her. Then repeated icily, “Please leave.”

₪₪₪₪₪

“You did it again,” Naeun started when Minseok slipped into the seat across her table. She had reserved a private room at a restaurant for them. The call had come unexpected, but he was sure to take any invite class A actress Son Naeun gave considering how hard it was to meet her. This was their first time meeting after her breakup with Kai. The only other time they’d met face to face was when Kai caught him stalking them. That was an unforgettable incident.

She was sipping on a cup of tea. Her breakfast halfway finished. She hadn’t had the etiquette to order anything for him. Not even a drink.

“What a pleasure meeting you, too,” Minseok greeted. “You’ve seen the news?”

It was bright and early. Close to 9AM. Every tabloid should have gotten a hold of actor Jongin’s brave confession. All news channels would be lining up to question him. Minseok couldn’t imagine what turmoil his company must be going through. Another Jongin scandal to handle.

And Namjoo… Minseok didn’t want to think about it.

The situation had escalated far more than he had anticipated.

“You’ve met her,” Naeun stated.

Minseok looked at the pretty actress considered goddess by all. “Yes,” he answered, “I’ve met her.”

“Did you stalk her too?” she sipped her tea calmly.

“I didn’t,” Minseok replied. “She knows me.”

“For how long do you plan to go after Jongin?” Naeun asked.

“Until I lose interest,” Minseok shrugged.

“Do you lack human emotions or something?” Naeun wondered.

“Of course I’ve emotions. I am a reporter.”

“So tell me,” Naeun began, “don’t you feel guilty for breaking Jongin and I up?”

Minseok stared at her.

“I know you wrote that article,” Naeun confronted, “about marriage. To pressure us. Do you remember the outrage following that? I think if I tell my management company, my CEO wouldn't be too happy with your news department. He'll have to have a word with your manager in reporting.”

His gaze strayed. She was going to make him lose his job.

“But it’s too bad I don’t really want Jongin back,” Naeun traced a finger over her tea cup. “But I like Namjoo, so I can’t let you ruin her.”

Realizing this wasn’t just a meet and greet, Minseok asked, “What do you want?”

“To incite your guilt.” Naeun met his eyes. “You manipulated someone who isn’t familiar with how things work in our entertainment world. So you said she knows you. You befriended her, you lied to her, you used her. Then you go right back around and stab her. How do you function? Has there not been one moment you wanted to correct your wrongdoing? Really? Your consciousness says nothing?”

She waited. When he said nothing, she continued, “I had a peculiar relationship with Jongin, I know him and he doesn't need this. I don’t know Namjoo that well, but I don’t think she’s a person who deserves this. And I don’t think Jongin needs to take the fall, especially not for what went on between them, like I took the fall for our relationship. It's undeserving and that's why third parties should never exist.” She looked melonchonlic before she glanced at him with a devious gaze. "Don't touch them."

Inhaling deeply, she stretched then stood looking all pretty as if they'd just had a friendly chat. “That feels good. I should have told you off earlier. Have a good day thinking. I hope to see your article soon.”

₪₪₪₪₪

“To be honest, if you were to call someone a liar, that would be me,” Jongin spoke into the thousands of mics forward. “Namjoo was never a part of this. I made her a part of this. In real truth, we’re strangers. I don’t know a thing about her and she doesn’t know me. We first met in my house. She was someone I hired to entertain me. It was a mistake.” He paused, eyes lowered. With another breath, he continued, “When she was caught on camera, we decided to use her for publicity. And when the hype grew, I hired her as my girlfriend.”

The screen went blank. Hee tossed the remote onto the couch. “Why are you even watching that?”

Stoned, Namjoo stared at the light reflecting off the TV. Tears lubricated her eyes, but they would not fall.

What was happening?

Was it right to panic and make a demand to go see Jongin? Would that be too impulsive?

“Don’t depress yourself,” Hee ordered. Crossing her arms, she said, “They’ll have to put you back in the company. If not, forget them. They don’t deserve you. Serves them right that this is happening.”

But it wasn’t right. Jongin shouldn’t have to take the fall for what happened to her. It didn’t have to be that way.

They turned when her manager stepped into the room. “The CEO has called for an urgent meeting. She wants you there.”

“Wait, what kind of meeting?” Hee asked. “Are they going to reinstate her?”

“Hee,” Namjoo warned.

“Fine, but don’t come back crying and say I was right all along.”

Namjoo pursed her lips and hoped her hands wouldn’t get clammy again. Slipping into her shoes at the door she followed her manager out.

₪₪₪₪₪

“Do you think this is a joke?!” Hyunki raised her voice, hands on hips. “Did I give you permission to speak to the press?! You want to play hero by giving up your career?!”

As if the world wasn’t already falling apart, Jongin remained seated at the couch calmly.

“Jongin!” Hyunki belted, the heat surging through every inch of her body whirled through her tone.

“I only did what was right.”

“What was right?” she bellowed. “You have no idea what kind of grave you just dug yourself! They will twist your words! People will condemn you! You will have no future! Do you understand?!”

“I think I at least deserve that.”

“Jongin!” Hyunki roared.

“What?!” Jongin turned to look at her. Rising to his feet he yelled, “Then I should just let this happen?! Sacrifice Namjoo for all she’s worth and sweep her under the carpet?! Was she not a part of your deal?!”

“We agreed she was temporary,” Hyunki in a breath.

“We?” Jongin hissed. “There’s no we here. I’m not going to let you get rid of her. Either you trash us both first or you keep Namjoo in this company.”

“Don’t bargain with me,” Hyunki warned.

“I will because you started this,” Jongin held her eyes, “you thought it was a great idea.”

“I did it for you!” Hyunki argued. “Your reckless nature led it up to this. I covered for you. I worked hard for you, so I can’t let you fall, Jongin.”

“And I’m not letting Namjoo take my fall,” Jongin blared.

“This is her fall. It’s her about her family, her mother.” Hyunki’s eyes turned authoritative. “This is not your problem, Jongin. Don’t feel guilty.”

Jongin stared back angrily, his gaze possessing all the dissatisfaction pent up.

“Namjoo has already given me her word,” Hyunki explained, “I can’t force anything more out of her.”

“She what? What do you mean?” stricken, Jongin’s eyes widened.

“I’ll resolve this for you with the PR team,” Hyunki promised.

Her phone rang and she moved toward the desk to answer it. Jongin’s heart raced, his breath hiked up. All the times he’d spent arguing and teasing Namjoo, being sweet and loving her rushed through his mind. He was going to lose her just when he got her.

It wasn’t fair.

He had started this. He, Hyunki, the company, and the media. Why did Namjoo have to give herself up to pay their price?

Impulsively walking toward Hyunki, Jongin slammed the phone down. The CEO who always did everything in his favor turned to him shocked.

“You can’t!” Jongin screamed.

“Jongin,” Hyunki nearly grinded her teeth.

“Can’t you save…her, too?” desperation crawled into his shaky voice. “Please.”

₪₪₪₪₪

A crowd surrounded the entertainment company. A mix of fans and reporters alike. As the van pulled up to the curb Namjoo felt her stomach do flips and turns. She felt queasy from the thought of dealing with them. She suddenly felt claustrophobic imagining how they would squeeze her into the wrath of their hands.

She didn’t want to answer questions anymore.

Joontae opened the door for her and Namjoo watched the heads of the people turn. closed and she hurriedly stepped out. The safety of her manager’s arms secured around her shoulders as the crowd raced toward them demanding answers, screaming her name and, once more, nasty names.

“Why did you lie to him, why?!”

“You only care about yourself!”

“Did no one really know about your mother?”

“Who else is in your family?”

“What other lies have told us?”

“Have you broken up with Kai?!”

The company doors slammed shut behind them, muting all noise. Namjoo felt the shivers. Rubbing her arms, she continued down the hall toward the elevators that would take her back to Hyunki’s office. How many more times, she wondered, would she have to keep coming here?

When they reached the elevator Joontae said, “I’ll wait for you here.”

And she couldn’t help but wonder if he knew what was about to happen to her. Was this their forever goodbye as celebrity and manager? Her heart tightened. Stepping into the elevator she pressed the button and waited as the numbers on the screen increased. She was nervous again. Her heart beat wildly. Her breathing felt uneven. She couldn’t sort out her thoughts. Most likely, she’d agree to whatever Hyunki wanted to say. Namjoo wanted to lie in bed for a long, long time.

The doors opened and Namjoo walked out into the hall in the shabby clothes her manager had bought for her from a local store. No brand name. Just clothes anybody else on the street might be caught wearing. Her tennis shoes were new too, but they were ugly and not any kind that would be offered to actress Kim Namjoo.

If she had a bag strapped around her shoulder she’d be gripping it about now but she had come empty handed. Swallowing, Namjoo stopped in front of the door and reached for the knob. It was now or never.

The door opened surprisingly as if sensing her. Lifting her head up she caught Jongin on the other side. Her lips gaped open but she couldn’t utter his name and it pained her. It was her fault he was taking a hand into her mess.

He slammed the door and hugged her.


***awww...Hee did something for Namjoo ;; Minseok is guilty guilty but Naeun just pushed the dagger deeper down his throat. I think this story's almost done. I've covered there is all I want to