When Spring Falls

Celebrity Girlfriend

Jongin snatched the phone coldly from her and stood up, immediately turning his back to her. he ce more to mouth, “Get off my bed.” Namjoo sat up watching him walk away voice low and quiet.

Pursing lips together she scowled. She didn’t like his bed anyway. Getting off she followed him down the hallway, eavesdropping.

“No, I told you that’s not her,” Jongin adamantly claimed. Namjoo narrowed her eyes. It would be to assumption that his mother had read their dating news. Did she believe they were all-so-sweet like everyone else?

Crossing her arms from the end of the hall she watched him pace around, phone to his ear. Part of her wanted to cackle intentionally so that his mother would hear her. Jongin quickly hung up a minute later and turned to her with a glare.

“You, leave,” he ordered.

“Not until I see you delete my number,” Namjoo refused.

There was that ridiculous scoff again. “For your information, little child, I did not look for your personal information. The CEO gave it to me for business reasons. Now leave.”

“Business, my ,” Namjoo argued. “If we have to meet, we’ll meet through her. Why would you need to call me?”

Taking her arm, he pulled her toward the door, “Don’t ask me. I don’t make the calls around here.”

Shrugging him off Namjoo turned around in front of the door to face him. “You better keep your word on your strict business stuff, because I want you nowhere in my life.”

“Be better if you withdrew your contract,” Jongin spat.

Huffing and puffing Namjoo turned, pulled the door open, and stomped out.

Damn Jongin.

That night as she sat in bed hugging pillow to her chest she stared at the black cap on her desk. She swore she could still practically smell him. Stupid hat.

Images of gazing up into Jongin’s eyes popped unwelcomingly into her head. With a frustrated grunt Namjoo reached over to grab her phone. Tapping on Jongin’s number she immediately named him ‘Do not answer’. Tossing phone aside she shifted to lay down.

She spent the next day in speech class and then training for the upcoming drama, where she recited lines, learned to study scripts, and oration techniques. Hyunki even had a surprise for her. She would learn the basics of ballet for her role with a professional, but all she really did was some stretching. During break, she met with her peer, Do Hyuk, the one giving her brief acting lessons. He had handed her stuffed bread and a bottle of juice, “Diet,” he informed, “is important. Hyunki enforces rules about weight. This is all we can get.”

“I didn’t know,” Namjoo replied biting into her bread. “This is good.”

They were sitting inside the cafeteria. By now everyone had already had lunch so they were well alone. Glossy tables assorted all over the room like domino parts. Food were up for grab but now trays were already empty and in the kitchen for cleaning. The vending machines hummed and Namjoo hungered for a chocolate bar.

“So I hear you’re dating Jongin,” Do Hyuk commented.

“Oh…yea,” Namjoo nodded. For a second she forgot that not everyone knew the truth. Hyunki probably never told anyone else but the PR leader and Chanyeol.

Their little secret.

“What kind of person is he? I’ve never met him before,” Do Hyuk said.

“You’ve never met him before?” Namjoo repeated.

“Cause he’s such a big senior. He entered long before anyone else did. People say he’s the first person Hyunki picked up,” Do Hyuk told.

“Really?” Namjoo asked with disbelief.

He nodded. Those unique hazel eyes of his gleamed. “I heard there’s a reason Hyunki lets everything go for him, solves every one of his problems, because he’s her first celeb. You know, previously he had lots of scandals. Dating, all that. Especially his relationship with class A actress, Son Naeun. Everyone was watching them.”

“Class A means the best, right?”

“The most famous actors and actresses, hard to recruit, most high paid. I hear the highest paid actor and actress gets $80,000 per episode they film. Naeun’s among the top of the top.” Do Hyuk emphasized the nod of his head.

Namjoo gasped, jaw dropping. Then she wondered how much Jongin got paid considering the huge estate he lived in. “I’ve never paid attention.”

“So you don’t know?” Do Hyuk asked. “You’re not serious with Jongin, are you? I mean, not to be rude, but you signed into the company for him. It’s kind of a rare occurrence.”

Namjoo shook her head. She couldn’t comment any further.

Leaning in, Do Hyuk spoke in a hushed manner, “They were expected to marry. Their relationship was that intense. At least that’s what I hear from people who have been around them, you know, stylists, makeup artists, other managers. I also heard from news sources, reporters, the media, and etcetera etcetera.”

“Really?” Namjoo asked.

Marriage had been in the question for them. Marriage…

“Then all of a sudden, pow! They split just like that,” Do Hyuk leaned back into his seat, his voice louder now. “No one knows why, maybe the CEO does but as usual,” he shrugged, “it’s because work got in the way.”

Namjoo frowned. “Really.”

Do Hyuk emphasized another nod, “Yes. Jongin has a long past with women. You probably won’t be the last.”

Not that she cared but even as she walked out Namjoo was now intrigued. Then she recalled a question asked by a reporter during the press conference. Did she care about Jongin’s past? Must have been speaking about the women he’d been involved with. Namjoo laughed at herself because she still recalled her answer.

“My thoughts? It doesn’t matter to me, because I only care about him. The ‘us’ in the now is what’s important. Not his past. Even if we may decide to separate later, I’ll cherish him as a good memory.”

Wow, how rehearsed that sounded to her now when she had actually adlibbed it. So Jongin was a womanizer. That didn’t sound like new information to her. But marriage? Son Naeun? And who was this class A actress exactly?

₪₪₪₪₪

One day closer to the photoshoot. Training was going well as well as speech lessons. Do Hyuk was essentially helpful with script details advising her about what kind of movements were necessary for this or that particular emotion implied. He warned her about the director’s temper if she made too many NGs. Even if she was new they would hone her into a professional, that meant no one intended to go easy on her. Bae Hyunki would be subtle about it but Do Hyuk warned her there were other plans in the making Namjoo would never know. Yes, be afraid. So Namjoo worked harder with voice techniques in that short time she had with lessons. Do Hyuk even brought a camera for practice. It was a distraction because Namjoo involuntarily gazed into its lens without meaning to. Then they would start over again.

Namjoo was in a productively good mood these days, felt she was actually doing something for once. Better yet, she hadn’t been hounded by fangirls though she wouldn’t dismiss the weird letters she’d been receiving in the mail telling her to dump Kai and that she was the most beautiful person alive. Weird, but Namjoo tossed the letters anyway.

Minseok met with her at their usual coffee house lazy Sunday afternoon. A break was nice. There were no scheduled lessons for today but Namjoo had asked Do Hyuk to meet up in the late afternoon when he returned from a pictorial shoot. Seo Yul had said the script reading would start after tomorrow’s photoshoot and then filming would immediately begin. Hyunki had even gotten the size of her clothing, her shoes.

Today she was in a cap and the cap wasn’t hers. Minseok seemed to recognize it as he eyed it for quite a while. He made no comment though.

She sipped hungrily on her iced coffee. “I read an article you wrote.”

“You did?” he sounded genuinely surprised.

“You write gossip?” Namjoo asked.

“My expertise,” Minseok smiled.

“You’re a good writer. I nearly believed everything you wrote.”

“The truth.”

“Is it?”

He shrugged, “That’s what reporters are for, right? They dig for the truth. The first article may be incorrect, but the one following will be even more factual. A lot of reporters lie rather than write the truth. It’s just in our career.”

“So, are you lying?” Namjoo naively wondered.

“Considers where you lean,” he open-endedly replied which wasn’t of help. Namjoo was left thinking for a few seconds.

“Have you thought about writing, like, a story?” Namjoo asked.

“Why?”

She shrugged, “It just seems like that would suit you better. You look honest, not like a person who would go around writing gossip. You know, gossip isn’t always truthful. People like making stuff up because of greed or hate.”

“That’s thoughtful of you,” he grinned, “I’ll think about it.”

“Good,” Namjoo grinned right back. She glanced around to see that no one paid them any attention then leaned forward to whisper, “Do you know anything about Son Naeun?”

A flare in Minseok’s eyes changed. Namjoo observed him curiously. “Why?”

“Well, I’ve looked her up but it’s not like I can get personal things online, right?” Namjoo asked. “Anyway, I’m just fascinated. I heard she and Jongin were going to get married.”

“Has Jongin told you about her?” Minseok, now prying for information, leaned forward attentively. Namjoo dismissed it as pure curiosity on his part. Reporter’s instinct.

“Of course not,” Namjoo shook her head. They weren’t that close on terms anyway and she didn’t plan on going there. She was just curious about Son Naeun. Who was she, what kind of woman was she, what did she like. Small things like that.

That was all.

“I don’t know much,” Minseok let on. “Pretty, famous, hard to approach because she’s guarded well. The source of envy for all woman and men alike. Class A actress material. As a reporter, I haven’t been able to meet her one on one. Though I have heard,” he ended, wheeling her in.

“Heard what?” Namjoo asked.

“You’ve a lot of attention these days. I heard from a fellow reporter who has connections that even Son Naeun has been looking at your dating news.” Minseok quietly shared.

Namjoo’s brow arched. “Maybe she still has feelings for Jongin?”

“And you invite that?” Minseok wondered.

Catching herself, Namjoo awkwardly laughed. Jongin may be right. She’d give him away that easily. Minseok, smart reporter he was, might figure everything out without even lifting a finger.

Switching attention to her ice coffee she hungrily continued sipping on the smooth red straw.

“N…no,” she stammered, “I’m just wondering. I mean, there might still be strings attached. Not like I can do anything about that, ri…right?”

Minseok took her words into consideration then nodded. Man, she needed to shut up. Slipping the straw in again she continued slurping.

“They had an overall good relationship,” Minseok gave away. “They were lovers of course. You’d find them holding hands, sharing gazes only lovers give each other. I can give you that much.”

₪₪₪₪₪

New interested Kim Namjoo appeared unaffected when she walked away, but Minseok did recognize the stumped expression she held. Strange that she didn’t know Son Naeun. Maybe she was too busy living to heed any attention to the celebrities that made the world a little more entertaining. And not that he expected Jongin to tell her everything from point one, but he assumed Jongin would have warned her not to go snooping around, wondering aloud who Son Naeun was.

But maybe her relationship with Jongin wasn’t as expected. Minseok didn’t know but he was intrigued. Instead of asking him Namjoo should have gone to Jongin with the question. An honest, loving couple would prefer that over getting an outsider involved. Yet, here was Kim Namjoo wanting information about Son Naeun.

Gosh, Minseok was dying to know more as well. If Naeun dove head into Jongin’s new relationship that would be live drama. And if that were to occur, Minseok had no doubt he would find the worst about Jongin because for one factual thing, it was Minseok, he himself, who had created that marriage rumor.

Now, would Namjoo spice things up or will Jongin do it first in order not to screw up his new supposed relationship?

₪₪₪₪₪

The photoshoot was in a separate company warehouse. That morning someone from the company had picked her up. Kwak Joontae, her newly assigned manager, was with her that morning. Quiet, short of words, broad-shouldered Kwak Joontae – another one who knew about her and Jongin. Towering over her that morning – not nearly as much as Chanyeol but he was still tall – outside of the van he had made introductions, saying that where she went he would have to be. Company instructions, he added – obviously from Bae Hyunki. Of course Namjoo knew she was under watch. Every move may be hers to take now, but that didn’t mean she was free like before.

There was a contract to keep and a superficial boyfriend to be loyal to.

There were machines bustling, people busily walking the grounds inside, preparing the green screen, and cameras at work. They had headsets hooked on their heads, walkie-talkies at their belts. Namjoo walked through amazed because she had never been in such a busy environment before.

“Kim Namjoo?” Someone stood up from a folding chair. Short, stubby, heavy-weight but he was the kind of man you didn’t turn down on the road. His hair was side swept so it remained out of his eyes and like the other important persons in charge he wore a big headset. “I’m the director today. Go Tak and that over will be the photographer,” he extended an arm toward a thin male, “Lee Sooha.”

Namjoo formally shook his hand. She didn’t know the process of the photoshoot but whatever goes is whatever goes. Voices suddenly rose – of which were made up majorly of women. Namjoo turned to see Jongin walking into the warehouse with Chanyeol on his tail. Her lips turned into a thin line but there was nothing she could do now. It was time to go into couple mode.

“Go Tak,” Jongin stopped right beside her and shook the director’s hand firmly.

“Nice to see you Kai,” Go Tak greeted. “You’re just in time. We’re about to get started.” Turning around he clapped his hands for attention and called everyone into their positions.

Silence batted its wings around them and Namjoo grew confused about what was going on. Then her attention caught when a figure stepped out from the crew members at the side onto the set.

“We’ll start with solo shots,” Go Tak called. “Cameras on standby.”

The hired photographer with his Canon 5D mk III took position. Namjoo’s mouth involuntarily dropped open when she caught sight of the handsome actor on set donned in an expensive high class navy suit. Lee Sooha immediately began giving directions, the handsome actor whose name Namjoo was dying to know moved accordingly. In a mere few seconds she found herself clapping gaudily.

“He’s so cool,” she commented aloud.

Jongin stared down at her with those narrowed slits for his eyes. “How embarrassing.”

Namjoo glanced up at him with a glare then she turned when Go Tak called for a short break. Namjoo mumbled to herself when Jongin was called up for his solo shot. She made faces at him while Lee Sooha, unaware of her, continued his job. And then it was her turn. It soon turned awkward because all attention veered to her and she was not used to people gawking. She gulped, grew anxious, felt a tremor in her hands, and tried to focus on Sooha’s instructions. However try as she may, she couldn’t pose. Helplessly, though, her eyes kept travelling pass the camera lens.

Sooha called for a break and Jongin walked over.

“Are you being serious right now?” he asked as if she was intentionally screwing up.

“It’s weird,” Namjoo said voice hushed. “I can’t help it. People are staring. I can’t function. Do you think I can help it if my mind keeps going blank?”

“Get a grip,” Jongin hissed, “because this won’t be your last shoot. Just do it.”

Sooha called out again. They turned to see him gesturing for Jongin to move away from the set. They would take couple photos first.

Namjoo snatched Jongin’s arm when he began walking away, “Where are you going?”

“Did you not hear him?” Jongin hissed his whisper. “It’s not my go.”

Namjoo reluctantly let him walk away. Once more she gazed at the camera nervously. Out of the corner of her eye that earlier handsome actor entered the set from the crew members at the side, appearing like an unexpected shadow on a dark night. Overwhelmingly handsome and mind blowing.

“Hi,” he smiled stopping before her. “I’m Kim Taehyung. We’ll be shooting together.”

Taehyung…

Namjoo stared up into his eyes, her mind void of any coherent thoughts. Her brain had gone numb from his appearance. All she could think was damn.

Lee Sooha shouted something. Namjoo felt like she shrunk forward but Taehyun had just slipped his arm around her waist. Nervously, Namjoo managed to push herself back then glanced at him flustered.

“I’m…I’m just nervous. I haven’t done this before.” She couldn’t meet his eyes.

He smiled kindly, “It’s all right. I get nervous from time to time, too.”

“Really?” She felt strangely warm.

He nodded, “You just have to think ‘this is someone else, you’re going to tell their story.’ The camera will do it’s work, so will your imagination and your body will respond.”

“On the count of three!” Sooha shouted getting into position for his photo.

Namjoo swallowed. Taehyung mesmerized her eyes. “Are you ready? It’ll be over real quick.”

A breath shot out of her when he wrapped his arm around her waist again, pulling her snuggly against him. Namjoo instinctively touched his arm, stared up into those beautiful brown eyes of his that told thousands of stories of the sunset.

Oh my god, her heart was beating so fast. 


***I'll see you guys next week!