Bonding

Day By Day

Every Sunday was an obligatory family day, it was Lay who made that rule. He would remind Yi Lin to set aside plans for it; except when she has important business events. This time he picked Lotte World, even if he wasn't fond of amusement park rides, Lay knew that Sophie liked it there anyway.

Meanwhile at the same place, Yumi was accompanying Chanyeol and Baek. She was walking behind them, "You know, we rarely go out together, and when we finally have the time, you just had to take me to an amusement park... You know how I feel about rides, right?" she said, Yumi has been questioning them all morning, why can't they just have a stroll in the park or have a casual lunch?

Chanyeol patted his sister's head, "It'll be fine, you can handle our bags and watch over it." She brushed his hand away, "Wow, I didn't know that I was the servant of the day." Baekhyun laughed, "Don't worry, Yumi. We'll buy your lunch, just to compensate." Yumi rolled her eyes, "Ugh, you better."

***

Besides Sophie, Lay was also accompanied by Yi Lin and Kai. After two hours of exploring the amusement park and some kid-friendly rides, they're taking a time to walk.

"Are you having fun, princess?" Lay asked as Sophie held on to his hand.

"Yup! We should try the other rides too." she replied.

"Of course we will, we have an entire day, Soph." Yi Lin said, smiling at her niece. "Yay!" Sophie cheered.

Kai was holding hands with Yi Lin, and they would lean towards each other when they walk. "What are we gonna do now?" he asked, Yi Lin thought for a moment, and looked at her brother, "Oppa, should we eat now?" she asked when he turned to her.

"Sure, it's almost noon anyway." Lay replied,

"Alright, let's look for a place to eat..." Lin said, "What do you want for lunch, Sophie?  Kai asked.

"Samcheon, let's eat chicken?" Sophie replied, smiling cutely at Kai. He chuckled, "Sure thing, we'll find the perfect place.

"Didn't you guys have chicken yesterday?" Lay asked, talking about Kai and Yi Lin. He saw them order take-out at their house last night.

Yi Lin shrugged, "As if Jongin cares..."

***

Baek and Chanyeol hovered over the display menu outside the restaurant, scanning for a burger and sidedishes. "Anything good?" Yumi asked, trying to peek over their shoulders.

A waitress walked over to them, she was pretty, her hair was short and he smiled at Chanyeol charismatically, "Good day, sir. Table for?" Yeol returned a smile, "Table for three, please."

Baekhyun eyed them weirdly, "Are they flirting?" he whispered at Yumi.

"Probably. You know how oppa is." Yumi shrugged.

The waitress led them to a table which seemed cozy due to the brown leather seats. The walls were decorated with music-inspired items. The girl returned with three menus, "Is there anything else you need? Water?"

Yeol smirked, "That would be great." The waitress nodded, "Okay, I'll be right back."

"What's so great about water?" Baek commented at Chanyeol. Yumi looked amused, "Probably the health benefits."

"Yes, exactly." Chanyeol said, browsing the menu as he grinned. Baekhyun picked up his own, "Heh."

"Are the serving sizes for burgers...big?" Yumi asked, the description of the meal items made water.

"Yep. You should probably go for the kids menu, Yumi." Chanyeol teased. Even though Yumi admitted that she can't finish it, she smacked Chanyeol's head with the menu, "Very funny."

Meanwhile, at the restaurant's entrance Lay and Yi Lin was also looking at the menu.

Yi Lin turned to Jongin, she grinned, "I heard the chicken wings are good, here." He laughed and massaged his tummy, "Ah, I'm hungry already."

Lay was looking around for a waiter to serve them but he saw someone else. He spotted Yumi, she was wearing casual clothes and Lay watched as she laughed along with the other two boys.

 "Oppa."

"Hey, oppa."

"Oppa!" Yi Lin slapped Lay's arm, "Ow!" he yelled, "What was that for?"

"You look spaced out, what's wrong?" Yi Lin asked, seemingly concerned.

Lay shook his head, trying not to look guilty, "Nothing, we should eat here. Food is good here."

Yi Lin frowned at him and crossed her arms, "Uh huh. Whatever you say."

Sophie was holding Kai's hand, and she was looking around. She was admiring the restaurant's interior.

"Songsaengnim?" she muttered, observing a lady seated at a corner. Kai heard her, but it wasn't clear, "Did you say something, Sophie?"

"That person, I know her!" Sophie said, Lay and Yi Lin turned to her. Yi Lin and Kai looked at each other, both confused.

"Kai samcheom, walk me there. Let's go." Sophie started running, and Kai was lazily dragged along.

"Wait, Sophie." Lay abruptly said, but he was too late to stop her. "Oh boy." he sighed, he pinched the bridge of his nose.

Yi Lin scoffed, and followed them, "What on earth is going on?"

Baekhyun was busy talking about his current work in an I.T. company, Chanyeol and Yumi was joking around with him at the same time. Until a kid started shouting from afar.

"Songsaengnim! Songsaengnim!"

Yumi tilted to see the one calling, "Sophie?"

"Annyeong, songsaengnim! Oppas!" Sophie greeted as she reached Yumi's table.

Yumi held her as she stopped running, "Sophie? Oh my, what are you doing here?"

Kai finally caught up with Sophie, "Sophie."

Yumi looked at him, then back to Sophie, "You know that man?"

Sophie nodded, "Uh huh, samcheom!"

"Samcheom?" Yumi asked, taking a look at Kai again, she raised a brow, Baekhyun leaned forward,  "You don't look related..."

Kai heard them, "Excuse me?"

Yumi heard a girl's laugh, "Oh they're not related... Hello, Ms. Park." Yumi turned around and saw Yi Lin, she smirked, and patted Kai's shoulder "Meet Kim Jongin. Uh, he's my boyfriend."

Kai scratched his head then laughed shortly, "Annyeong, nice to meet you. Just call me, Kai."

Yumi tried to avoid being embarrassed, "Oh, haha.. Um, sorry about that. Nice to meet you. " She hit Baekhyun's head, "Apologize and greet back." Yumi whispered.

Baekhyun awkwardly laughed, and Chanyeol hid behind him and was controlling his own. "Annyeong everyone... Sorry for the comment, sir."

Kai grinned, "No worries, nice to meet you."

"What's going on?" Lay said from behind Kai and Yi Lin. Yumi suddenly felt a bit weird, but excited. He walked forward, "Did I miss an awkward walk-in?" he asked, smiling with charm. Baekhyun turned to Chanyeol and whispered, "Isn't that... "Just call me Lay""?

"Nah. It was no big deal, oppa." Yi Lin replied, "We should get seated, though." she added.

"Can we sit close to them?" Sophie asked, "I want to chat with the oppas, too."

Lay looked a bit surprised, but he kinda expected it, "Sure. Why not?"

"We'll even make a long table." Yi Lin said, "I want to be friends with them too." she added.

After a while, they were all dining, and the orders were served. Like what Yi Lin said, the table was indeed long, and everyone got to chat with each other. However, Lay and Yumi remained a bit silent, despite being seated in front of each other. Yi Lin would notice their looks towards each other, and eventually realized that there was some kind of attraction going on.

"Oppas, are you going to the rides, later?" Sophie asked.

"Yup, after lunch, we're heading to the outdoor area." Chanyeol replied, while handing the fries to Baekhyun.

"Can we join them, Appa? It'll be fun!" Sophie said, turning to Lay. He turned to Yi Lin; she smiled and knew what he was going to ask her. "I don't mind, plus, Sophie's fond of their company anyway."

"Alright, is that also okay with you, Yumi?" Lay asked, looking at her. She tensed up a bit, "Of course, it'll be fun, right?"

***

Yumi and Lay's jaw dropped at the sight of the Viking ride. The others were excitingly approaching it, until Yi Lin realized that they weren't following. She tapped Chanyeol's arm, "Is your sister okay?"

Chanyeol laughed at Yumi, she was standing still.

"Yeah, she's fine. She just hates amusement park rides." He explained. Yi Lin's expression hid a bit of mischief, "Really? So does oppa."

She waited before asking Chanyeol, but she did anyway "Chanyeol, is my brother dating your sister?"

Chanyeol was a bit startled, then Baekhyun cut in, " Oh, they seem to be at the courting stage." Yi Lin was caught off guard, "What?"

Yeol punched Baekhyun's arm, "Pabo! Don't say things you aren't sure of!" He talked to Yi Lin again, "Sorry about that. No, we're not sure of anything. This guy is just assuming things."

"Ah, I see." Yi Lin nodded, then she laughed, "But you can tell that they're crushing on each other right?"

"I know! It's so middle-school of them." Baekhyun commented. Yi Lin smiled, "I can't believe that oppa's like that... I think I know what to do. Can you call them over?"

Baekhyun and Chanyeol looked at each other, then did what she asked.

Yumi and Lay stopped watching the Viking and walked to their families.

"I can hold your bag for you." Yumi immediately offered, no one even asked her yet. She was taking Chanyeol's backpack, he was stopping her, "It's okay, it's pretty light."

"Huh? A while ago you said I'm in-charge of the bags." Yumi said.

The other family was discussing something too.

"Is Sophie allowed on that ride?" Lay asked, observing the Viking again.

"Hm, I think so. If she reaches the height requirement." Kai replied, "Lin already took her to the measuring area."

"Cool... Um, I'll just watch you guys." Lay said. Kai chuckled, "You're scared, hyung?"

"No, we just ate. I'm just being safe."

"More like playing it safe." Yi Lin interrupted, "Sophie's allowed in the ride. As long as adults are with her too."

"Are the other guys riding too?" Kai asked as he went to his girlfriend. "Yeah, they're lining up already." Yi Lin replied, she held Kai's hand, then glanced over to Sophie and Lay, "Let's go?"

***

"Wait, why are we in line, too?" Yumi asked, the others simply shrugged, "Well, the line's still pretty long. And we wanted to chat first, we didn't want to bore you guys." Chanyeol answered.

"Um, what if you guys are next? We can leave, right?" Yumi inquired, looking a bit worried.

"Of course. No worries, unnie." Yi Lin replied, "Is it fine that I call you that way?"

Honestly, Yumi felt odd about it, but she waved the feeling away, "Sure. I have no problem with it."

The movement of the line felt like ages, good thing Baekhyun and Chanyeol's humor covered for the time. Finally, they reached the ride's entrance.

Yumi clapped her hand once, "Okay! We should go then?" She almost grabbed Yixing's arm.

"Miss, you can't leave the line." The ride assistant said.

"I'm sorry. WHAT?" Yumi asked, then she looked at Chanyeol, "You guys said that it'd be okay to leave!" She wanted to whine but the people behind her was already staring.

"Just go on the ride already!" An impatient passenger from the back said.

"Don't worry, Yumi. The ride doesn't even go beyond five minutes." Baekhyun informed, raising two thumbs up.

"No, I am not riding that thing!" Yumi said, pointing at the ride.

"If you go, I'll go." Lay said, interrupting Yumi's next complain.

"What? Are you serious?" Yumi asked, then added, "You were scared of this a while ago!"

"Yeah, but I'm really annoyed at the person complaining at the back... Let's just go. We'll take the front seat." Lay said, suddenly picking up Yumi's hand and entering the ride's entrance. Yumi wanted to back away but it was too late, they were already inside. Lay assisted her the seat. The other guys went to the ride's back area, where it would be scarier.

Yumi wasn't aware that she was clutching Lay's hand tightly. "I will kill my oppa and Baekhyun after this. I hope you wont mind." she said.

Lay laughed at her, burying his fear away, "We got this. I'm here anyway."

Yumi breathed deeply, and nodded.

"FIGHTING!"

Every passenger turned to Baekhyun, he sulked to his seat. Sophie sat in between Yi Lin and Kai. The safety railings were put down and Baek hooked his arm to Chanyeol's. "If Yumi can do this, then I can do it too." he reminded himself.

The ride finally started. Thankfully, Yumi wasn't the only one screaming loudly, they can also hear Baekhyun. He was the loudest.

As usual.

***

Chanyeol lost count of the times Yumi hit him as they got off the Viking ride. Throughout the amusement park trip, she would say how the ride almost killed her, but here she was: alive with a rush of adrenaline.

They ended up going to more rides; Yumi and Lay learned their lesson to avoid lining up with their family. They occassionally took pictures of them, especially Sophie.

After three hours of fun at the amusement park, Yeol invited everyone for ice cream. "It's my treat this time." he said, since Lay paid for their bill at the restaurant earlier.

A pleasant ice cream parlor was nearby, they all took their snack for take-out. It'll be more fun to talk and eat while walking.

The other guys, Chanyeol and Baek was finished with their ice cream, and Sophie was walking in between them, asking them random questions. Wondering if they'll hangout with her again. They promised her that they will, just give them a call or something.

Meanwhile, Lay walked next to Yumi.

 "Congratulations." he said.

Yumi, who was busy eating her ice cream stopped, and looked at him, "What do you mean?"

He smiled, "You came off a Viking ride alive, it's a pretty big deal."

Yumi laughed, "You were there too! So, congratulations Mr. Zhang." Lay laughed along with her, "Yeah, I guess I deserve that too."

"Did you have fun today?" Yumi asked, as they walked. Lay focused his eyes on her, "Yes, I did actually."

"I bet you get stressed a lot. It's good that you're happy." Yumi said.

Lay smirked as he walked closer to her, and Yumi didn't mind.

Behind them and the tow oppas, Yi Lin was watching Lay and Yumi. Kai suddenly wondered about her silence, "What are you thinking about?" he asked.

"Do you think they'll be a good couple?" Yi Lin quietly said, pointing at Lay and Yumi. He laughed at her. Yi Lin furrowed her eyebrows, "What's so funny, Jongin?"

"Nothing, it's just of all the person's to ask, it had to be me." Kai replied. Yi Lin let go of his hand, "Why? Why shouldn't I ask you?"

He smiled at her, and clutched her hand again, "Hm, let's see... Wouldn't it be odd to ask a boyfriend from an odd couple to answer a question about whether two persons look good togehter?"

Yi Lin laughed and rolled her eyes, "Don't bring up our situation in this scenario. You're right, you know what? Next time I'll ask Hana next time."

"Good idea, I won't object." Kai replied, then he kissed her hand. Yi Lin leaned her head against his shoulder, and sighed, "Either way, oppa looks happy. So, what right do I have to object?"

***

"Should we drive you guys home?" Yi Lin asked, she was talking to Yumi. Yumi shook her head, "Nah, my brother brought his car today. So we're good."

Lay nodded, kind of sad that he won't be able to drive them home. "Alright, we have to get going too. Sophie's quite tired."

"I see, um, take care of yourselves?" Yumi said, wondering to herself why she made her statement into a question.

"We will, you too." Lay replied. He looked down at Sophie, who was now rubbing her eye, "Princess, care to say goodbye to your songsaengnim and her oppas?"

Sophie nodded, "Goodbye, songsaengnim... oppas. Thank you for spending the day with me."

Chanyeol and Baek waved their hands. "It was really fun. Goodbye, Sophie. Stay good okay?" Chanyeol said, squatting to reach Sophie's level. Baek followed him, "Bye, bye. Remember our promise okay?" he raised his pinky and Sophie made a pinky promise with him.

They stood up, and said goodbye to the rest of Lay's family. They high-fived with Yi Lin and Kai for the plan in the Viking a while back.

"'Til next time, okay?" Yi Lin said, before saying goodbye. "See ya, guys!"

"Goodbye! Thanks for today" Baekhyun said.

Yumi was the last one to get into their car, because she watched Lay's car leave the parking lot. She waved goodbye, and Lay rested his back on the car seat and saw Yumi in the distance. He also allowed Kai to drive for them because Sophie wanted to sleep on his lap.

In the other car, Baekhyun turned to talk to Yumi, "Had fun, Yumi?" he asked.

She rolled her eyes, "I haven't forgotten about the Viking incident, so shut it."

Baekhyun and Yeol laughed. "Ah, I thought "Call me Lay" made you forget all about it." Baek teased.

Yumi threw a small pillow at him, and hid her smile "Whatever." Her phone beeped, while she was staring at the window.

It was from Yixing, and it said:

L: Thank you for today, I really mean it. Please rest well. Good night.

It was the followed by a wide-smile emoji, and just like it, Yumi's smile was very similar.