Rejected

Day By Day

Lay walked out of their kitchen only to find his sister lying on the living room couch with a blank expression on her face. She was still dressed up and even had her shoes on.

“Uh…Are you okay, Yi Lin?” Lay asked, tilting his head with curiouity etched on his face.

Yi Lin responded just by shaking her head. Lay sighed and walked towards the sofa near the one Yi Lin was lying on. He placed his glass of water in the coffee table. “Alright, what happened?” Lay asked sitting on the other couch. Yi Lin covered her face with both hands, then sat up.

She looked at her brother smugly.

Lay tensed,”Umm…”

“I refused a proposal today.”

Yi Lin said, crossing her arms. Lay blinked, and tried to absorb the info,

“Please tell me that it was a business proposal and not what I think it is.”

Yi Lin stared at the space again, but she still replied,”Nope. I said no to a marriage proposal.” “What? You… you rejected Kai?” Lay stammered.

“Ugh. You make it sound so bad!” Yi Lin whined, falling on the couch again.

“But why?” Lay asked, “I mean, I know you have your reasons…But, don’t you…uh, love him?” Yi Lin almost glared at him,”Are you kidding, oppa? Of course I love him.”

 She sighed then sat up again. “Do you ever plan to get married again?” Yi Lin suddenly asked, surprising Lay. “Uh, I don’t know.” Lay replied, shrugging. Yi Lin scoffed,”Are you serious?” Lay crossed his arms,

”And why is this suddenly about me, Yi Lin?”

 “Because!” Yi Lin suddenly stood, “All my life, I told myself thay before I get married, I must make sure that my older brother is settled down first.”

 Lay perked an eyebrow, “What? That’s your basis for accepting a proposal?” Yi lin stared at him, “ Well…sort-of.” She calmed down and sat down again.

“Yi Lin.” Lay sighed, “As much as I am flattered about your concern about my life…You have to think about yourself too. Besides, I’ll be fine whether I get married again or not. Either way, I have Sophie.” He said.

Yi Lin laughed dryly, but she nodded. “Oh what have I done..” she muttered, tilting her head backwards. Lay tensed again, “Why? Did he break up with you?”

“No… Just disappointed. I guess.” Yi Lin mumbled.

“Then what are you going to do?” Lay asked.

She faced him, “I don’t know…. I’d probably apologize.”

 “I should?” Yi Lin questioned.

“Well, not that I’m taking his side… It’s just, you should’ve let your feelings for him win instead of some other reason.” Lay explained, although he wasn’t sure if it made sense. “Is that what your new love life is doing to you?” Yi Lin laughed, it seemed forced but still it was more real than the one a while back.

Lay raised his hands up,” Hey, I’m just trying to give a decent brotherly advice here.” Yi Lin smiled sadly, she was fiddling with the bracelet Kai gave her, “Yeah, you’re right…” There was silence for a while.

Lay decided to crack a joke… “So… Will we hear wedding bells, soon?”

Yi Lin tossed a pillow at his face.

---End Od Chapter---