Awkward

Day By Day

Yi Lin walked in the coffeeshop which Lay asked them to go to this afternoon. He wanted to discuss something, but he was vague about it in the text message.

The door chimes rang as she walked in the café, she scanned the room for her brother.

She found him, with Yumi, Chanyeol and Baek sitting around a circular table. Two seats were still empty.

What's going on?

Yi Lin walked towards them, she placed a hand on Yumi's shoulder, "Hey guys,what did I miss?"

"Oh, not much. We just ordered." Yumi replied.

Yi Lin glanced at Lay, he spoke, "Take a seat, we'll have some afternoon snacks."

Yi Lin took a chair across Lay, she was next to Baek as well. There was a vacant seat next to her.

"So...Is anyone gonna order yet?" Chanyeol asked. He was tapping his fingers on the table.

"Hm, let's wait for Kai, first." Lay said, Yi Lin immediately glared at him, "You didn't tell me he was joining us."

"Did I have to?" Lay replied.

Yi Lin rolled her eyes, her shoulders slumped. She turned to Baek, "You wanna switch seats?"

"Huh?" Baekhyun looked at her, surprised.

The café door opened, chimes ringinf again. Kai entered, he was straight-faced. His smile wasn't present. Yi Lin faced away. He was still mad,in fact, they haven't talked to each other for two weeks.

He came near to the table, and said hello to everyone. Yi Lin pursed her lips.

Lay looked at Kai and gestured to the seat next to Yi Lin. Jongin sighed and tried to ignore the sudden awkward tension.

The other four, shared looks at each other. Baekhyun grinned teasingly, getting the situation.

Yi Lin and Kai both sat similarly: arms crossed, while looking straight ahead.

"Okaaay... Yeol, you wanted to order, right?" Baek asked. Chanyeol nodded, then stood, "Baek, let's order for everyone."

"Okay." Baek agreed, "What do you guys want?"

"Um, I'll have the Macchiato. How about you, Yixing?" Yumi said.

"Same as you." Lay replied.

Baek clapped once,  "Okay, two Macchiatos for this couple." He turned to Yi Lin and Kai, "How about you two? Coffee?"

"No coffee." they replied in unison, Yi Lin gave Kai a look, which he returned but he quickly took away.

"Just get us the hot chocolate." Kai answered, "That's fine with you right?" He asked Yi Lin. She nodded.

"Uh sure...Noted." Baek said, he and Chanyeol proceeded to the counter.

Lay and Yumi were left to deal with Kai and Yi Lin.

Lay was trying to hide a smile as he faced Yumi. Yumi raised a brow at him, as if asking him why.

"I'll explain later." Lay whispered.

"Ohhhh..." Yumi responded.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun returned, carrying their drinks and three cake slices.

"The cakes here are great, so I ordered some." Chanyeol said. He placed the food, distributing it to everyone.

When they settled, Lay cleared , "So, I know you're all curious as to why I called you here today."

"Oooh..sounds serious." Baekhyun commented, he sounded childish. Yumi glared at him.

"So, why are we here today?" Yi Lin said, after she sipped her drink.

Lay sat straight, then replied, "I want to talk about Sophie's birthday."

"That's like two months away." Kai spoke. He was busy eating the cake. But after a few bites he slided the plate to Yi Lin.

"YES. I know, but I'll be busy in the next 2 months. We have a lot of business events in our schedule. Remember?" Lay mentioned, "That's why I want to plan things early. Chanyeol, Baek, I hope you don't mind being here..." he added.

"We don't mind. We like parties." Baekhyun said, and Chanyeol nodded in agreement.

"What's the plan then?" Yumi asked, glancing to Lay.

"We need a venue first. Nothing too big, but something fit for our family... Can you look for a place, Yi Lin?" Lay asked.

"Sure." Yi Lin answered.

"Great, and uh, I guess we'll need a birthday theme?" Lay wondered.

"Yes, something cute..." Yumi mumbled.

"Costume party?" Baekhyun suggested.

Chanyeol countered him,"Isn't that too Halloween-ish?"

"No, we're not going as zombies, Yeol." Baekhyun answered. "What do you think, Lay?" Yumi asked.

"It's okay, we'll consider it." Lay replied. Lay looked at Kai, and his sister, "Yi Lin? Kai? Any suggestions?"

"I actually like the costume party idea." Yi Lin said, "It's random and cute. Sophie can go as a princess." she added.

Lay nodded, "Good point. Does everybody agree to it?"

Everyone around the table nodded, Lay smiled, "Okay, it's a costume party then."

"What about the other party things? Decorations and stuff?" Yumi asked.

"I think we can just work with those a week before." Yi Lin said.

"I agree..." Yeol said quietly.

"Okay, we'll plan those a week before." Lay said.

Yumi looked at Baek and Chanyeol, then to Lay, "Those guys are good with decorations. They can help out." Baekhyun was startled, "What?"

Lay laughed, "Alright, I'll keep that in mind."

"So, is that it?" Yi Lin asked, she was playing around with the fork. Her voice sounded tense and her face remained serious. In her mind, she could barely process anything. All she could feel was the coldness between her and Kai.

"Umm, yes. Do you have to get back to work, Yi Lin?" Lay asked, looking concerned.

"Yeah, I have to help Hana in the studio." She replied, looking down at her watch.

Lay nodded, "Okay. Are you not going to finish your food?"

"Uh, no. I'm not that hungry anyway." Yi Lin said, she stood up. "I'll get going. Have fun." She walked away from them quickly. When she left the café, everyone turned to Kai.

He gave them a weird look, "What did I do?"

Lay looked amused, "Still not okay?"

Kai rolled his eyes, he ignored him, "You know what? I'll just go too. Workload's gonna pile up again."

He grabbed his coat from the chair, and bid them goodbye.

***

Yi Lin waited outside the café, hoping to catch a cab along the streets. It was too far to walk.

She heard the café's door chime ring, and it made her glance. Kai walked out fixing his coat, he sighed.

Yi Lin watched him, but she looked away when he saw her.

She diverted her attention to the cars, hoping for a cab to come sooner. She would raise her arm to hail one, but it wasn't empty. Maybe she should've used that taxi app... Yi Lin gazed down to her feet, and noticed that he was next to her. She sighed, as she raised her head up.

"You're really not gonna talk to me, huh?" Kai asked.

Yi Li rolled her eyes, a cab finally stopped for her, but she managed to reply before she got in.

"I didn't start it. I'm just acting along with you."

---End Of Chapter---